SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Ottawa Senators

Apparently Karlsson is looking to come back to OTT or MTL

Jun. 4, 2019 at 8:47 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/brennan-this-time-karlsson-might-be-more-inclined-to-consider-senators-offer

So, there's talk that Erik and Melinda Karlsson want to be closer to Home. Report say that they're hoping to get a competitive Offer on July 1st by either Ottawa or Montreal. Either way, it seems like he's definitely not going back to San Jose.

I don't how I feel about this...

What do you guys think?
Jun. 4, 2019 at 8:50 a.m.
Banned
Id take him back. He's comfortable playing here already and with a new coach and promising young talent sure.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 8:59 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: Csick123
Id take him back. He's comfortable playing here already and with a new coach and promising young talent sure.

I am the biggest Karlsson fan!!... But thats the thing, a lot of young talent coming up. He'd be taking time away from guys like Brannstrom, Chabot and Wolanin.

And Ottawa is already committed to the Rebuild...

I don't think it makes sense to bring him back
Jun. 4, 2019 at 9:01 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: ThatGuy
I am the biggest Karlsson fan!!... But thats the thing, a lot of young talent coming up. He'd be taking time away from guys like Brannstrom, Chabot and Wolanin.

Chabot-Demelo
Brannstrom-Karlsson
Wolanin-Jaros

Trade Ceci for a 2nd or 3rd.
Package Lajoie and Brown for a top winger/centre
CD282 liked this.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 9:14 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

What??? Now I understand if the Sens or any team doesn't want to pay Karlsson top dollar, but there isn't logic in saying he would be taking time away from other good Dman on a team. There are 120 minutes a game for Dman, you want all the good Dmen you can find on a team. It's like saying a team only want two good centres and have two meh ones. Better to have three good centres and one meh one.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 9:30 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: palhal
What??? Now I understand if the Sens or any team doesn't want to pay Karlsson top dollar, but there isn't logic in saying he would be taking time away from other good Dman on a team. There are 120 minutes a game for Dman, you want all the good Dmen you can find on a team. It's like saying a team only want two good centres and have two meh ones. Better to have three good centres and one meh one.

What are you talking about? Huh?

Yes, ideally you have 18 Elite players on your team? But it's a salary cap era, so it doesn't work that way as you're seeing in Toronto.

Ottawa has a whole bunch of good prospects in the pipeline that are eventually going to need to get paid (Starting with Chabot next year). Doesn't make sense to sign a big ticket Free Agent in a rebuild.

Also, I should've clarified this, but when I listed off 3 Offensive Defensemen, I was applying taking time away from special teams. I wasn't really worried about the 5v5
Jun. 4, 2019 at 9:38 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
What are you talking about? Huh?

Yes, ideally you have 18 Elite players on your team? But it's a salary cap era, so it doesn't work that way as you're seeing in Toronto.

Ottawa has a whole bunch of good prospects in the pipeline that are eventually going to need to get paid (Starting with Chabot next year). Doesn't make sense to sign a big ticket Free Agent in a rebuild.

Also, I should've clarified this, but when I listed off 3 Offensive Defensemen, I was applying taking time away from special teams. I wasn't really worried about the 5v5

What are you talking about. Sens have lot cap to signs Karlsson if they wanted to. If by chance they have cap problems in the future because their youngsters become stars and demand big money, gee that isn't a problem. You trade a some good cap surplus for futures. Having too many good players isn't a problem at all.
Now personally I wouldn't sign Karlsson....he hasn't been good THAT good for two years and you are trying to project what he would be like in the future. But on any NHL team there are lots of minutes for good Dmen, and in a cap era, good players on fair contracts can be traded. So the answer is yes, you would want 18 elite players. Sure you couldn't keep them all, but some could be traded for futures, ensuring a pipeline of good prospects.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 9:40 a.m.
B
Yikes hooking back up with an ex is never a good idea. The next time he goes to the beach, u b like ughn ughn smile . Especially one with problems below the waist. He wants to be on a good team in the east and is trying to regain some value since he realizes he won't get the massive term he was "guaranteed" to get.
ThatGuy liked this.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 9:42 a.m.
that article doesnt really give anything of substance, just a whole premise that his wife is homesick. Anything could happen but Elliotte just said he wants to win, and hes not going to win with the Sens in the near future. Feels more of a wouldnt this be nice that he comes back idea.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
What are you talking about. Sens have lot cap to signs Karlsson if they wanted to. If by chance they have cap problems in the future because their youngsters become stars and demand big money, gee that isn't a problem. You trade a some good cap surplus for futures. Having too many good players isn't a problem at all.
Now personally I wouldn't sign Karlsson....he hasn't been good THAT good for two years and you are trying to project what he would be like in the future. But on any NHL team there are lots of minutes for good Dmen, and in a cap era, good players on fair contracts can be traded. So the answer is yes, you would want 18 elite players. Sure you couldn't keep them all, but some could be traded for futures, ensuring a pipeline of good prospects.

You're ripping me for not wanting to sign Karlsson, yet you wouldn't sign him either? laugh ok buddy

And Since when do teams sign Free agents to good/fair contracts??

You're undervaluing cap space.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 10:09 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: coga16
that article doesnt really give anything of substance, just a whole premise that his wife is homesick. Anything could happen but Elliotte just said he wants to win, and hes not going to win with the Sens in the near future. Feels more of a wouldnt this be nice that he comes back idea.

You must not be married hahahahahaha
Jun. 4, 2019 at 10:38 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Not a Sens fan but wish the Sens well but I wouldn't touch broke down pirate boy, that'll just be a fat contract for an injury prone player that'll get in the way when it's time to pay the likes of Brannstrom, Batherson, etc.
ThatGuy liked this.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 10:43 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
You're ripping me for not wanting to sign Karlsson, yet you wouldn't sign him either? laugh ok buddy

And Since when do teams sign Free agents to good/fair contracts??

You're undervaluing cap space.

I never ripped you for not signing Karlsson. I wouldn't sign him either.
I never undervalue cap space

I just said there are lots of minutes available for good players. If a team gets have too many good players worth of big contracts it's not a problem. Just trade one or two for futures. Tampa has only only bad contract...Callahan so they will likely have to trade Miller or Gourde to be cap complaint this year. But those two players will get a return to so it's not a problem for Tampa. Gee don't wish virtually all teams were in the Tampa cap and talent situation.
You mentioned the Leaf cap situation earlier. Leafs are in there cap problem because Marleau is 3m overpaid. Matthews close to 1m overpaid, Nylander .5m overpaid. Then Marner, Kapanen and Johnson had superior seasons which upped their cap with their future signings. The other issue was signing Tavares for 11m...and not giving up any assets to obtain him
Lets's imagine the Leafs have to get rid of 11m of cap because of Tavares. So they trade the 7m and 4m Kapanen. In effect the Leafs have traded Nylander and Kapanen for Tavares for lets's say a first and two second rounders. Leafs take that trade all day long. Just saying having too many good players is never a problem. But I agree with you an 11m Karlsson is a problem (if I'm reading you correctly)
Jun. 4, 2019 at 10:46 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Not a Sens fan but wish the Sens well but I wouldn't touch broke down pirate boy, that'll just be a fat contract for an injury prone player that'll get in the way when it's time to pay the likes of Brannstrom, Batherson, etc.

YES! Exactly what I thought!
Jun. 4, 2019 at 11:11 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
I never ripped you for not signing Karlsson. I wouldn't sign him either.
I never undervalue cap space

I just said there are lots of minutes available for good players. If a team gets have too many good players worth of big contracts it's not a problem. Just trade one or two for futures. Tampa has only only bad contract...Callahan so they will likely have to trade Miller or Gourde to be cap complaint this year. But those two players will get a return to so it's not a problem for Tampa. Gee don't wish virtually all teams were in the Tampa cap and talent situation.
You mentioned the Leaf cap situation earlier. Leafs are in there cap problem because Marleau is 3m overpaid. Matthews close to 1m overpaid, Nylander .5m overpaid. Then Marner, Kapanen and Johnson had superior seasons which upped their cap with their future signings. The other issue was signing Tavares for 11m...and not giving up any assets to obtain him
Lets's imagine the Leafs have to get rid of 11m of cap because of Tavares. So they trade the 7m and 4m Kapanen. In effect the Leafs have traded Nylander and Kapanen for Tavares for lets's say a first and two second rounders. Leafs take that trade all day long. Just saying having too many good players is never a problem. But I agree with you an 11m Karlsson is a problem (if I'm reading you correctly)

You can spin it and justify it all you want. But at the end of the day, by signing Tavares, you shorten your window to win a cup from like 10 years to 5 years. You're substituting, 2 good young players on reasonable deals for 1 better but older player who is definitely going to slow down towards the ends of his contract. Vegas essentially did the same thing.

OTT shouldn't be taking short cuts by signing players who are going to be in their prime during the rebuild and out of their prime when they're competitive again. It screws up the development of the core players that you want to be around in the long run. The only teams that should target players like Karlsson are teams in Win Now mode.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 12:03 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
You can spin it and justify it all you want. But at the end of the day, by signing Tavares, you shorten your window to win a cup from like 10 years to 5 years. You're substituting, 2 good young players on reasonable deals for 1 better but older player who is definitely going to slow down towards the ends of his contract. Vegas essentially did the same thing.

OTT shouldn't be taking short cuts by signing players who are going to be in their prime during the rebuild and out of their prime when they're competitive again. It screws up the development of the core players that you want to be around in the long run. The only teams that should target players like Karlsson are teams in Win Now mode.

How to you figure ten years? Kapanen, only has five more years of NHL control, Leafs signed Nylander to six years, and Matthews to five before they are UFAs. Signing Tavares to seven years didn't less the term avaialble for to regain their UFA Leafs UFAs. And any team would take Tavares over a Nylander/Kapanen combo for the next five years.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 12:22 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
How to you figure ten years? Kapanen, only has five more years of NHL control, Leafs signed Nylander to six years, and Matthews to five before they are UFAs. Signing Tavares to seven years didn't less the term avaialble for to regain their UFA Leafs UFAs. And any team would take Tavares over a Nylander/Kapanen combo for the next five years.

Exactly, and every team would rather have Nylander/Kapaen over Tavares for the 5 years after that.
Jun. 4, 2019 at 12:25 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Exactly, and every team would rather have Nylander/Kapaen over Tavares for the 5 years after that.

True but Kapanen and Nylander aren't in Leafs control anyway (well Nylander for one year only ).
Jun. 4, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.
Sports and Tacos
True but Kapanen and Nylander aren't in Leafs control anyway (well Nylander for one year only ).

And that is exactly my point!

Ottawa doesn't need a superstar for the next 5 years (hopefully less) at the expense of losing players who could contribute after that. Yeah, it would put together a mediocre team and probably help with ticket sales but at the end of the day, it won't get you anywhere. (1 step forward, 2 steps back)

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll