SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Chances of 1st round picks being traded

Jun. 4, 2019 at 1:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Edited Jun. 5, 2019 at 10:18 a.m.
I don't think i've done this yet. So, let me try. I'm going to go through the 1st round picks and say if there's a chance these picks could get traded.

#1 - NJD - Not going anywhere. Unless they make a pick swap with NYR but no reason for the Rangers to give up anything to move up when the picks are basically the same value.
#2 - NYR - Nope. Not going anywhere.
#3 - CHI - Why would they trade the pick? Not in a full rebuild but trying to get younger. Nope.
#4 - COL - I think Sakic said they're keeping it and i don't see why they wouldn't. They have a young team and could be good for many years.
#5 - LAK - Nope. No explanation needed.
#6 - DET - Same as LA.
#7 - BUF - Young team. Should keep the pick.
#8 - EDM - Best thing to do is keep the pick. Obviously trying to get better next season but not worth moving your 1st.
#9 - ANA - Might go into a rebuild, at least trying to get younger. Keep the pick.
#10 - VAN - Young team, don't trade it.
#11 - PHI - Possibly trade down. I think they keep the pick but maybe they could trade down depending on who they're trying to get.
#12 - MIN - Getting younger. Keep.
#13 - FLA - Wouldn't shock me if they move this pick for a "now" piece. But still a pretty young team. They have options.
#14 - ARI - Maybe trade down if they get good value, but it depends who they want. Like FLA, could trade it for a "now" piece but could make the pick. Multiple options.
#15 - MTL - Likely a playoff contender next year but making the pick would be the best option.
#16 - COL - Same as #4.
#17 - VGK - Really hard to tell. Could trade. Really hard to predict this one.
#18 - DAL - Similar to Vegas.
#19 - OTT - No way. No reason to move it.
#20 - NYR - Keep. Still in a rebuild.
#21 - PIT - Really hard to know. Could see them keeping or trading it.
#22 - LAK - Keep. Same as #5.
#23 - NYI - Wouldn't be surprised if it's traded to get a "now" piece. Depends what they can get though.
#24 - NSH - Probably keep but wouldn't surprise me if it's traded.
#25 - WSH - Keep IMO. They have a good team who is probably a contender next year and doesn't need to trade the pick to add to their roster.
#26 - CGY - Probably keep. Young team who is already a contender, but why not make the pick?
#27 - TBL - Keep or maybe move up or down.
#28 - CAR - Probably keep.
#29 - ANA - Same as #9.
#30/31 - BUF - Keep it. Young team.
#30/31 - BOS. Could trade along with prospects for a "now" piece depending on what that "now" piece is.
wojme and Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jun. 5, 2019 at 9:56 a.m.
I don't know if this makes your decision easier but Buffalo owns the St Louis first.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Jun. 5, 2019 at 10:09 a.m.
Below Market Value
Vegas is likely keeping their pick. They're tight up against the cap, so they need all the young, cost-controlled talent they can get.
Jun. 5, 2019 at 10:17 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: wojme
I don't know if this makes your decision easier but Buffalo owns the St Louis first.

LOL forgot about that. Will edit.
wojme liked this.
Jun. 5, 2019 at 10:19 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast
Vegas is likely keeping their pick. They're tight up against the cap, so they need all the young, cost-controlled talent they can get.

If they can move out some cap and somehow improve their team then maybe they move it. You're probably right though. My guess would be they keep it.
Jun. 5, 2019 at 4:34 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I don't think i've done this yet. So, let me try. I'm going to go through the 1st round picks and say if there's a chance these picks could get traded.

Other than potential trade ups or downs, I agree with your reasoning for each team. For Montreal, the only way I could see them moving their first is if they get a LHD in an offer they can’t refuse. Probably over 95% chance they keep the pick. And I think that they won’t trade up or down unless there’s someone that they REALLY like and maybe trade up a few picks to get him.
Jun. 5, 2019 at 4:36 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: EthanK24
Other than potential trade ups or downs, I agree with your reasoning for each team. For Montreal, the only way I could see them moving their first is if they get a LHD in an offer they can’t refuse. Probably over 95% chance they keep the pick. And I think that they won’t trade up or down unless there’s someone that they REALLY like and maybe trade up a few picks to get him.

Who in the top 10 would realistically trade down? I know teams might want to trade up, but I don't see anyone in the top 10 who would trade down (except maybe, just maybe NJ to #2 but the Rangers wouldn't do that anyway).
Jun. 6, 2019 at 12:52 a.m.

There were lots of rumours a week ago about Bergevin looking to move up in the draft. Perhaps he wants another 1st round pick or he wants to move up from 15th, I guess we will see if it's true on draft day.
Jun. 6, 2019 at 2:43 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: DoctorBreakfast

#KnightToTheKnights
Jun. 6, 2019 at 10:17 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: krakowitz
#KnightToTheKnights

Am I the only one who remembers Dwight King (LA Kings)?
Jun. 6, 2019 at 8:55 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: HabsForEver
There were lots of rumours a week ago about Bergevin looking to move up in the draft. Perhaps he wants another 1st round pick or he wants to move up from 15th, I guess we will see if it's true on draft day.

The only way I could see that is if they REALLY want a guy like Broberg, & don’t think he’ll fall to 15.
Jun. 6, 2019 at 8:57 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Who in the top 10 would realistically trade down? I know teams might want to trade up, but I don't see anyone in the top 10 who would trade down (except maybe, just maybe NJ to #2 but the Rangers wouldn't do that anyway).

I don’t think anyone would. If Montreal is trading up, it wouldn’t be any higher than pick #11.
Jun. 6, 2019 at 8:59 p.m.
The only way I could see that is if they REALLY want a guy like Broberg, & don’t think he’ll fall to 15.

I'm sure they already know who they want if they are thinking about trading up.
Kotkaniemi15 liked this.
Jun. 6, 2019 at 8:59 p.m.
I don’t think anyone would. If Montreal is trading up, it wouldn’t be any higher than pick #11.

Who knows. Really depends on who Montreal makes available. What could Tatar + 15th overall get you? It would be better than #11
Jun. 6, 2019 at 9:04 p.m.
Former Hockey Fan
Quoting: HabsForEver
Who knows. Really depends on who Montreal makes available. What could Tatar + 15th overall get you? It would be better than #11

That’s not happening. What would the point of trading up to get a forward be anyways?
Jun. 6, 2019 at 9:42 p.m.
That’s not happening. What would the point of trading up to get a forward be anyways?

I'm just saying hypothetically. Just because the only pick that has been rumored to be available is the 11th, who's to say there aren't more? Perhaps trade Tatar + 15th + more to attempt to get Byram
Jun. 8, 2019 at 6:15 p.m.
I believe Fletcher will make a dumb move with the #11 - thinking he's improving the Flyers. I think he keeps it depending on how the first 7-8 picks pan out. I think if Dach, Krebs, or Zegras begins to fall closer to 11.....he'll keep the pick. Possibly Cam York will be his pick if he makes it to #11.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 7:11 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: mmc1710
I believe Fletcher will make a dumb move with the #11 - thinking he's improving the Flyers. I think he keeps it depending on how the first 7-8 picks pan out. I think if Dach, Krebs, or Zegras begins to fall closer to 11.....he'll keep the pick. Possibly Cam York will be his pick if he makes it to #11.

You're saying they should trade it but you think they will keep it.
Jun. 9, 2019 at 3:22 p.m.

#17 - VGK - Really hard to tell. Could trade. Really hard to predict this one.

Only thing they should do is trade up. Give up Miller/Eakin/Haula + 1rst and try to move up while shedding salary. McPhee already messed up their future and somehow they are already a team getting close to cap hell, so better try to rectify that quickly. That Suzuki trade is going to be in the McPhee hall of fame right next to his Forsberg for Erat trade. Brannstrom to Ottawa might also end up in there if he turns into a solid top 4 while Stone settles in on his long term contract and stops improving (or worse, regressing).
Jun. 9, 2019 at 3:50 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: oilersfan089
Only thing they should do is trade up. Give up Miller/Eakin/Haula + 1rst and try to move up while shedding salary. McPhee already messed up their future and somehow they are already a team getting close to cap hell, so better try to rectify that quickly. That Suzuki trade is going to be in the McPhee hall of fame right next to his Forsberg for Erat trade. Brannstrom to Ottawa might also end up in there if he turns into a solid top 4 while Stone settles in on his long term contract and stops improving (or worse, regressing).

Who do you think would move down for 17+Haula/Miller/Eakin?
Jun. 9, 2019 at 4:25 p.m.
Who do you think would move down for 17+Haula/Miller/Eakin?

Somebody might be willing to move down for Miller, as he is a capable top 4 dman. Eakin is a good 3rd line center/utility player and isn't overpaid, so some teams might be interested in him. Haula...hard to say as he just had a big knee injury, but before that he was probably the best value forward in the league, so he might still get people interested, especially given his low cap hit. I won't bother to try and guess the inner workings of an NHL gm's mind; you tend to see things that nobody was predicting every year, so sitting here and pretending like we can judge which teams are likely to move down for the above players is near pointless. All I know is that Vegas needs cap space and it wouldn't hurt for them to pick up a really good prospect given what they've let go this past season (not to mention the picks given for Tatar in 2017-18), so moving up makes sense. But, they also might work trades with later picks too; no reason to force a first rnd pick trade if freeing cap space is your only real goal.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 1:05 p.m.
You're saying they should trade it but you think they will keep it.

You're right I spoke in a circle there....I think Fletcher SHOULD keep the pick, but he will, in reality, make a dumb move with it. Causing Flyers fans to shake their heads in disbelief.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 1:24 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: oilersfan089
Somebody might be willing to move down for Miller, as he is a capable top 4 dman. Eakin is a good 3rd line center/utility player and isn't overpaid, so some teams might be interested in him. Haula...hard to say as he just had a big knee injury, but before that he was probably the best value forward in the league, so he might still get people interested, especially given his low cap hit. I won't bother to try and guess the inner workings of an NHL gm's mind; you tend to see things that nobody was predicting every year, so sitting here and pretending like we can judge which teams are likely to move down for the above players is near pointless. All I know is that Vegas needs cap space and it wouldn't hurt for them to pick up a really good prospect given what they've let go this past season (not to mention the picks given for Tatar in 2017-18), so moving up makes sense. But, they also might work trades with later picks too; no reason to force a first rnd pick trade if freeing cap space is your only real goal.

I get that you think someone will move down, but I was asking who. Obviously you've said you don't know. Florida might.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll