Forums/Armchair-GM

Trades with PHI and ANA

Created by: TanSor
Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 7, 2019
Published: Jun. 7, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
According to Friedman, Patrick's name has been out there. Whether that's true or not, I'd be surprised if he's moved but I guess anything is possible. Philly adds a fantastic top pairing RD to play with Provorov and they bolster their depth scoring with Zucker. Chuck would be adding two of his best "hits" during his time as the Wild GM. The Wild add an inconsistent but talented center with hopes that he blossoms into the 1C he was touted as when he was drafted. So far, the jury is out whether he can do that or not. Ghost is a solid 2nd pairing D and while I'm not a huge fan of playing defenseman on their off-side, Ghost has shown he's capable of doing that.

The Anaheim deal helps address the Wild's need for a right shot RW. I'd really prefer to keep Greenway since I believe he has an immense amount of potential, but we need top 6 RW's and Kase would certainly fill that need. Anaheim is getting a high-upside LW with potential to be one of the best power forwards in the league. Greenway scored 12 goals in his rookie season playing on the 3rd line without a lot of talent around him. He is a pretty incredible skater for his size, he can stick handle in a phone booth, and he can bulldoze through defenders to get to the net with his massive 6'6" frame.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$900,000
2$1,900,000
2$1,400,000
5$4,900,000
2$900,000
Trades
PHI
  1. Spurgeon, Jared ($2,593,750 retained)
  2. Zucker, Jason
Additional Details:
Spurgeon signs a 5 year x $7M extension.
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$67,318,175$0$3,250,000$15,681,825
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
C, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 4
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$687,500$687,500
RW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 7, 2019 at 3:25 p.m.
Frankyhabs
I think, in a Wild point of view, getting Ghost is useless. If Chuck is ok with trading Nolan (unlikely like you said) the wild should give a LOT for him.
Patrick and a 2nd vs spurgean and Zucker. Does that make sense ? (habs fan so I may not be the best to evaluated your players value)
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 3:30 p.m.
Quoting: Frankyhabs
I think, in a Wild point of view, getting Ghost is useless. If Chuck is ok with trading Nolan (unlikely like you said) the wild should give a LOT for him.
Patrick and a 2nd vs spurgean and Zucker. Does that make sense ? (habs fan so I may not be the best to evaluated your players value)

The problem with moving Spurgeon is that I don't think we have anybody that could step up and play on the 2nd pairing. Pateryn has done it in the past, but he should not be playing a full 82 games there. That's where adding a Ghost would help fill the void that losing Spurgeon creates.

As for the Wild giving a lot for him, I personally think giving Spurgeon for him is a lot. He's easily our best defenseman and, at least in my opinion, our best player. That's a ton to give up for an unproven but talented player.
Frankyhabs liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 3:36 p.m.
Frankyhabs
Quoting: TanSor
The problem with moving Spurgeon is that I don't think we have anybody that could step up and play on the 2nd pairing. Pateryn has done it in the past, but he should not be playing a full 82 games there. That's where adding a Ghost would help fill the void that losing Spurgeon creates.

As for the Wild giving a lot for him, I personally think giving Spurgeon for him is a lot. He's easily our best defenseman and, at least in my opinion, our best player. That's a ton to give up for an unproven but talented player.

Yes I fully getting your point. But, Nolan Patrick, 2nd overall pick 2 years ago (!!), as a ton of value. With that potential D problem, as a Habs fan I can tell you that a D by comitee can work. + You, as a Wild fan, do you see next year has a playoff year or a "reset" (popular term in MTL) year? Having dumba, brodin, Suter is still SOLID IMO
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 3:46 p.m.
Yes I fully getting your point. But, Nolan Patrick, 2nd overall pick 2 years ago (!!), as a ton of value. With that potential D problem, as a Habs fan I can tell you that a D by comitee can work. + You, as a Wild fan, do you see next year has a playoff year or a "reset" (popular term in MTL) year? Having dumba, brodin, Suter is still SOLID IMO

That's fair, and I do like Patrick a lot, but he really hasn't shown nearly as much as his fellow classmates. Hischier, Heiskanen, Petterson, and even Makar all look better than Patrick has. He has a ton of potential, but I think it's concerning how little he has done. For that reason his value shouldn't be as high as theirs. He still has a good amount of value (which is why I'd be willing to move our best player for him), just not as much as the other players that went top 5 that draft year.

We saw last year what our defense looked like by committee since Dumba was out for over half of the year. Spurgeon and Suter were on the top pairing with Pateryn and Brodin playingon the 2nd for a little while after Dumba was hurt. That did NOT go well, so much so that we actually had Brodin with Brad Hunt for the last 10-15 games with Pateryn relegated to the bottom pairing. Brodin - Hunt looked alright, but I wouldn't want to watch a full season of those two together.

I honestly have no idea what next year will be. Our GM hasn't made the most convincing trades in terms of long-term success and our owner is notoriously impatient. I think if we don't make the playoffs next year, Fenton will be on the hot seat. Seems like our GM wants to get younger and do a sped-up rebuild (by trading older players like Coyle and Granlund for younger players like Donato and Fiala) but our owner wants to contend (I think he's the one behind the Zucker for Kessel trade that fell through).
Frankyhabs liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 3:52 p.m.
Frankyhabs
Fair enought. About your first point, if Patrick would have shown half of Petersen,Makar,heiskanen and hishier talent, he would not be trade ! For the Wild, I see this has a HIGH Risk, HIGHER reward kind of deal, forget the short rebuild it rarely works (not talking directly to you) !
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 3:55 p.m.
Fair enought. About your first point, if Patrick would have shown half of Petersen,Makar,heiskanen and hishier talent, I would not be trade ! For the Wild, I see this has a HIGH Risk, HIGHER reward kind of deal, forget the short rebuild it rarely works (not talking directly to you) !

I agree with all of that! We will see how his acquisitions play out. I liked Donato a lot and Fiala flashed a ton of skill, but it's a matter of them putting it together and becoming as good or better than the players we moved to acquire them. Rask will never be as good as Nino, so that one's a lost cause...
Frankyhabs liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:03 p.m.
Frankyhabs
I agree with all of that! We will see how his acquisitions play out. I liked Donato a lot and Fiala flashed a ton of skill, but it's a matter of them putting it together and becoming as good or better than the players we moved to acquire them. Rask will never be as good as Nino, so that one's a lost cause...
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:05 p.m.
Frankyhabs
By the way thanks for your responses, as a Montreal Canadiens fans it is hard to know a lot about other teams (value of players, fans expectation etc..). Plus, English is not my first language as you can guess..
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:14 p.m.
Frankyhabs
Can I have your thoughts on Brodin. In MTL, our Biggest needs is a top 4 LD to pair with Weber. Do you think Brodin would be a "perfect fit". I'm not talking about is the trade possible or what MTL could offer, I just want your opinions on him because you probably know him well !
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:24 p.m.
By the way thanks for your responses, as a Montreal Canadiens fans it is hard to know a lot about other teams (value of players, fans expectation etc..). Plus, English is not my first language as you can guess..

I actually did not! Your English is great. It's always tough to figure out value of other team's players, which I think is the fun in this site.

Can I have your thoughts on Brodin. In MTL, our Biggest needs is a top 4 LD to pair with Weber. Do you think Brodin would be a "perfect fit". I'm not talking about is the trade possible or what MTL could offer, I just want your opinions on him because you probably know him well !

I think he's a great #3 but probably shouldn't be on the top pairing although maybe with a veteran like Weber he could do it. He had his best year in a wild sweater last year so maybe next year he could handle it without a veteran, but for now that's where I stand with him. Right now the Wild can't really afford to trade him unless we get another 2nd pairing D in return and at that point it's kind of pointless to trade him... We don't have anybody in our prospect system that projects to be a top 4 LD, nor anybody on the roster that can handle top 4 minutes on the left side.
Frankyhabs liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:27 p.m.
Frankyhabs
What about Suter? He is not on your top 4 ?
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:29 p.m.
Frankyhabs
Looks like I can forget about Brodin he is too important for your team
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
What about Suter? He is not on your top 4 ?

He is but he's best buddies with our owner and it has long been speculated that he gets whatever he wants. I think he'll retire playing on the top pairing for the Wild, whether he should be there or not.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:31 p.m.
Looks like I can forget about Brodin he is too important for your team

I wouldn't abandon all hope. It's possible we go after a younger LD in a trade or draft one with hopes that they could replace Brodin. I'd be surprised if that happens, but it's certainly possible.
Frankyhabs liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:35 p.m.
Frankyhabs
He is but he's best buddies with our owner and it has long been speculated that he gets whatever he wants. I think he'll retire playing on the top pairing for the Wild, whether he should be there or not.

So a D with Suter, Dumba and Spurgeon could work ? Dont forget, most of the teams dont have 3 good D, so 4, that is a lot ! For a (very unlikely) trade for Brodin, is there a player in MTL that could be great for you ?
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:38 p.m.
Frankyhabs
Ryan Poehling (that hurt me a lot to propose him). Young 20 years old center, local guy, could be interesting for the Wild.
TanSor and MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:40 p.m.
So a D with Suter, Dumba and Spurgeon could work ? Dont forget, most of the teams dont have 3 good D, so 4, that is a lot ! For a (very unlikely) trade for Brodin, is there a player in MTL that could be great for you ?

I think if any of our D are moved this year, it's Spurgeon. BUT, if we trade for a young LD (like Kylington, Sergachev, etc.) then next offseason Brodin could be on the move.

That's kind of the big issue for a Wild and Habs trade, Montreal doesn't have much that helps us. The Wild need right shot top 6 forwards and I cannot see Gallagher being traded. Suzuki is intriguing as well, but again I don't see Montreal trading him either. There's other prospects like Ylonen but personally I wouldn't want to have Ylonen as the centerpiece to a Brodin trade.

Poehling is intriguing as well but I'd be pretty surprised if Montreal is willing to trade him.
Frankyhabs liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:44 p.m.
Frankyhabs
Edited Jun. 7, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
I would be surprised to but if Marc thinks Brodin solve is biggest problem... That would not be so dump to offer one of our big prospect. Agree with you, ylonen is a B prospect. You don't get a top 3 D at his prime for a B prospect... I laught when habs fan put Shaw or Byron or Leckho for a Brodin.. fans want great player but are not willing to give !
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 7:04 p.m.
MNBassman
How about Spurgeon, Zucker, and a 2nd for Patrick, 2019 1st, and Gudas?
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 7, 2019 at 7:17 p.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
How about Spurgeon, Zucker, and a 2nd for Patrick, 2019 1st, and Gudas?

I'd be alright with that!
MNBassman and kallenpj liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 5:29 p.m.
I'd be alright with that!

That, paired with Greenway for Kase is a good approach to simultaneously addressing both the RH-C need and the RHRW need.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 8:14 p.m.
Quoting: kallenpj
That, paired with Greenway for Kase is a good approach to simultaneously addressing both the RH-C need and the RHRW need.

Alternatively, Greenway for Kapanen makes a ton of sense to me, too.
kallenpj liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 8:24 p.m.
Alternatively, Greenway for Kapanen makes a ton of sense to me, too.

In your opinion Is Kapanen or Kase the better choice? Seem like similar upside.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 8:31 p.m.
Quoting: kallenpj
In your opinion Is Kapanen or Kase the better choice? Seem like similar upside.

Good question. I'm not sure, it kind of depends on what you value more. Kapanen has a better shot and is faster but Kase has better hands and can be more of a playmaker.
kallenpj liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 9:30 p.m.
Good question. I'm not sure, it kind of depends on what you value more. Kapanen has a better shot and is faster but Kase has better hands and can be more of a playmaker.

So a lot would depend on who else is brought in... we of course need a sniper, but kaprizov will need a RW who can get him the puck. If I am Fenton I would at least explore both ideas and see what response I get
TanSor liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll