Forums/Armchair-GM

REALISTIC 2019 Pittsburgh Penguins Off-season

Created by: Sidstick87
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 7, 2019
Published: Jun. 8, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
** I kno all the Pens fans are Not crazy about getting Gally back in Kessel deal but IMO his upside
(especially playing w/ Geno) could be really scary good + he only just turned 25.

FORWARD GROUP :
- I love the depth of this forward group - PLUS with the add of skill in Gally & 2- physical & good 2-way players in Zacha & Ferland.
* Even the F.A. pick up of McGinn could be a steal w/ him being hurt all last yr bc he is a good arse player.

- This line-up could be switched around like 30 dif ways w/ having guys like Bjugstad, Zachha, McCann, Blueger, and even Gally being able to
play both Center and Wing.
*PLUS- having Guentzel, Gally, Ferland, Rusty, Simon, ZAR, and McGinn all being able to play either wing position.

- I put Bjugstad w/ Sid bc its where the Pens originally wanted him but injuries late in year derailed that plan. or could just go-
1) Jake - Sid - McCann & 2) Gally - Geno - Bjugstad

**- DEPTH IN W/B/S -
-LW- K. Bjorkquist / RW- A. Angello / C- O. Palve / C- S. Lafferty - All guys that should be ready for NHL time * maybe - LW- J. Bellerive ??
- LW- G. Wilson / LW- A. Johnson / C- K. Roy - All guys have played in NHL

DEFENSIVE GROUP -
- Dumo & Tanger are one of the best or thee best Top D-pairings in the league - Nuff' said

- I love the McNabb - Schultz new pairing

- The 28 - 44 pairing played like a #2 pairing the time they were together- Really like this group
** #7 D-man - Ruhwedel - is perfect #7

- D- Depth in W/B/S-
- LHD- K. Capobianco & R. Riikola
- RHD- Z. Trotman & E. Prow

GOALIES -
- M. Murray is a 2-time Cup winning Goalie at 25 yrs old

Backup - T. Jarry - I have always liked Jarry and why trade the cheaper/ younger Goalie w/ way more upside ??
- Jarry will be a great back-up

- DEPTH W/B/S - A. Stolarz and O. Dansk
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$825,000
2$1,400,000
2$2,000,000
2$900,000
2$750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$800,000
1$750,000
1$725,000
1$900,000
3$3,750,000
1$700,000
1$800,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Harpur, Ben
Additional Details:
- Harpur is a huge Defensive Dman that can skate for size.
A younger / solid 3rd pairing guy
OTT
  1. Blandisi, Joseph [RFA Rights]
  2. Johnson, Jack
  3. 2020 4th round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
- Johnson is still a good 3rd Pairing Dman that could help a young OTT Defense. W/ the $ The Pens have towards D they just can NOT afford and need to trade.
- Blandisi & 4th Rdr for Cap Dump.
PIT
  1. Capobianco, Kyle
  2. Galchenyuk, Alex
  3. 2019 1st round pick (ARI)
  4. 2019 3rd round pick (CHI)
Additional Details:
2019 1st Rdr is #14 Overall
(The move up of 7 Picks)

- GMJR finally gets Gally, the other player he's been targeting for 2-3 yrs now (along w/ Bjugstad). I have always really liked Gally and IMO having Sid & Geno push him everyday could take him to that next level he hasn't been able to get to yet.
+ Gally only has 1 yr left & if he plays good GMJR will sign him in season, not letting it get to F.A.
- Capobianco is a (B level) LHD Prospect that is almost NHL ready. Capo is an Offensive D-man, skates good, that needs work on D-game.
ARI
  1. Kessel, Phil
  2. 2019 1st round pick (PIT)
Additional Details:
2019 1st Rdr is #21 Overall
PIT
  1. Dansk, Oscar
  2. McNabb, Brayden
Additional Details:
- I'm a big McNabb fan and IMO he would be the perfect Defensive D-man to pair w/ Schultzy and let him use his Offensive side more + McNabb is another physical force to have on back-end.
- Dansk is a solid depth Goalie but would have to clear waivers to get to WBS.
+ I think Jarry would do just as good or better than DeSmith - He is the younger / cheaper goalie w/ more upside.
VGK
  1. DeSmith, Casey
  2. Harpur, Ben
  3. Ölund, Linus
Additional Details:
- DeSmith is a great Back-up that could take some Starts off of MAF and let him stay at around 55-60 games.
- Harpur is a younger / Cheaper 3rd pairing Defensive D-man.
PIT
  1. Zacha, Pavel [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
- I've always liked Zacha's game. Altho his game has been up & down in NJ (he mite need a change too).... He is a tough player that goes to dirty areas to win puck battles, will go to net, and is young but is very good Defensively.
- This just looks like a GMJR trade for a guy that is a natural Center but can play LW too. IMO, he is a perfect 3rd line Center that can controlled for 3-4 more yrs.
NJD
  1. Määttä, Olli
Additional Details:
Shero gets his former 1st Rdr back and kno's that Maatta is a very good Top 4 LHD that is still only 24, has rings & Experience, and just needs a change of scenery rite now.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$78,832,500$132,500$0$4,167,500

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$3,750,000$3,750,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$2,500,000$2,500,000
LD
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA
$900,000$900,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 8, 2019 at 1:48 p.m.
Blandisi and a 4th does not equal up to that cap dump. Going to cost way more than that.
Sidstick87 liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 2:29 p.m.
I thought the player GMJR really coveted from the Florida deal was McCann. Younger. More skill. I thought Bjugstad was solid but if you are going to put him on Sid or Geno's wing I'd much rather have Rust up there, saving half a mill of valuable cap on that spot, and ZAR or a cheap vet on the bottom line, saving at least two mill in cap.

I could be persuaded otherwise but Bjugstad seemed to fizzle pretty quickly.. His lines, like all of our lines, did nothing against the Isles. He had talent with him too. Remove Simon, he skated with Phil, Horn, McCann, Rust and I think one other player that I can't remember. Those are pretty good guys to work with as a third liner.

In my mind, the three most tradeable guys on this team are
1) Kessel
2) Maatta
3) Bjugstad

When I say most tradeable I mean that they have value and the Cap hits will be accepted without dumping.

If the Pens want a real shakeup I believe these three all need to be traded while you try to get someone to bite on Jonhson's second half of last year or Gudbranson's last quarter. (I don't even mind them, but like Bjugstad, they aren't worth the cap hit they hold).
coffey77 liked this.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 4:50 p.m.
Hockey God Genius
Quoting: ClockReads2113
Blandisi and a 4th does not equal up to that cap dump. Going to cost way more than that.

Fair enough
Jun. 8, 2019 at 5:09 p.m.
Hockey God Genius
Quoting: Nights_King93
I thought the player GMJR really coveted from the Florida deal was McCann. Younger. More skill. I thought Bjugstad was solid but if you are going to put him on Sid or Geno's wing I'd much rather have Rust up there, saving half a mill of valuable cap on that spot, and ZAR or a cheap vet on the bottom line, saving at least two mill in cap.

I could be persuaded otherwise but Bjugstad seemed to fizzle pretty quickly.. His lines, like all of our lines, did nothing against the Isles. He had talent with him too. Remove Simon, he skated with Phil, Horn, McCann, Rust and I think one other player that I can't remember. Those are pretty good guys to work with as a third liner.

In my mind, the three most tradeable guys on this team are
1) Kessel
2) Maatta
3) Bjugstad

When I say most tradeable I mean that they have value and the Cap hits will be accepted without dumping.

If the Pens want a real shakeup I believe these three all need to be traded while you try to get someone to bite on Jonhson's second half of last year or Gudbranson's last quarter. (I don't even mind them, but like Bjugstad, they aren't worth the cap hit they hold).

Yah, GMJR has been trying to get Bjugstad for like 3yrs now, He loves the dude and will only trade him if he is blown away. McCann was also a guy he's wanted but not as long as Bjugstad... I still remember when we made that trade and I said we just stole a really good player in McCann and everyone laughed at me... Ive watched that kid since he was with Sault St Marie in OHL.

Plus the only times Bjugstad put up good numbers w/ FLO was when he was only playing RW. Everyone in FLO said he was a better RWer by far but he actually surprized me w/ how solid his 2-way game was when he was playing 3C for us... But yah he will be put on 87's or 71's RW this yr for sure bc he is not getting moved, Altho the more i think about i dont mind 27 at 3C either.

ZAR makes me mad AF, He plays really good then disappears for 20 games... Plus he was horrible at end of last season and in playoffs... I make him the #13 forward or trade him.

My list of Pens that will be traded is -
1- J. Johnson - Must do it / No matter what - Pens have like $32m in cap space by D... Its insane- No matter what he needs to go
2- Kessel - bc he is getting traded
3- Maatta - value back and the Cap space taken up by Dmen
4- ZAR - His chances have ran out here
5- DeSmith - BC Jarry is younger / Cheaper / and way more upside and will do just as good
6- Simon - only if he is needed to be traded - IMO he mite break out this yr
Jun. 8, 2019 at 6:14 p.m.
Quoting: Sidstick87
Yah, GMJR has been trying to get Bjugstad for like 3yrs now, He loves the dude and will only trade him if he is blown away. McCann was also a guy he's wanted but not as long as Bjugstad... I still remember when we made that trade and I said we just stole a really good player in McCann and everyone laughed at me... Ive watched that kid since he was with Sault St Marie in OHL.

Plus the only times Bjugstad put up good numbers w/ FLO was when he was only playing RW. Everyone in FLO said he was a better RWer by far but he actually surprized me w/ how solid his 2-way game was when he was playing 3C for us... But yah he will be put on 87's or 71's RW this yr for sure bc he is not getting moved, Altho the more i think about i dont mind 27 at 3C either.

ZAR makes me mad AF, He plays really good then disappears for 20 games... Plus he was horrible at end of last season and in playoffs... I make him the #13 forward or trade him.

My list of Pens that will be traded is -
1- J. Johnson - Must do it / No matter what - Pens have like $32m in cap space by D... Its insane- No matter what he needs to go
2- Kessel - bc he is getting traded
3- Maatta - value back and the Cap space taken up by Dmen
4- ZAR - His chances have ran out here
5- DeSmith - BC Jarry is younger / Cheaper / and way more upside and will do just as good
6- Simon - only if he is needed to be traded - IMO he mite break out this yr

This is very interesting to me. Two people rooting for the same team, watching games, and coming up with slightly different conclusions. Nothing extreme but different. I see Bjugstad and I see a solid NHL guy who is never going to dazzle. I don't see Staal.. I don't even see Bonino. Maybe he is a rangy RW that the Pens haven't had in a long while.. But. I just don't see much special. If he stays, good for him. He seems like a good dude. Not one to get in anyone's way.

ZAR goes cold but he brings a physical game.. The player I cannot stand is Simon but Sullivan and the team apparently love the guy. He never finishes.. He reminds me a lot of Brian Gibbons.. We got rid of him because he got golden opportunities and never converted. That is what Simon does to me.

The two plays that I think about when I think of Simon?
1) End of a first period in which the Penguins are beating the Capitals. I believe it was game five. Simon hooks in the offensive end. Washington flips the momentum. Goes on to win that game by coming out in the third but they might have been buried in Simon doesn't open the door.

2) game three against the Isles. Again. End of the first period. The guys make a great play to give him a wide open backdoor goal to tie the game up.. He whiffs. That is Domenik Simon to me. Talented guy but just never quite gets it.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 6:35 p.m.
ComYog
This is very interesting to me. Two people rooting for the same team, watching games, and coming up with slightly different conclusions. Nothing extreme but different. I see Bjugstad and I see a solid NHL guy who is never going to dazzle. I don't see Staal.. I don't even see Bonino. Maybe he is a rangy RW that the Pens haven't had in a long while.. But. I just don't see much special. If he stays, good for him. He seems like a good dude. Not one to get in anyone's way.

ZAR goes cold but he brings a physical game.. The player I cannot stand is Simon but Sullivan and the team apparently love the guy. He never finishes.. He reminds me a lot of Brian Gibbons.. We got rid of him because he got golden opportunities and never converted. That is what Simon does to me.

1) End of a first period in which the Penguins are beating the Capitals. I believe it was game five. Simon hooks in the offensive end. Washington flips the momentum. Goes on to win that game by coming out in the third but they might have been buried in Simon doesn't open the door.

2) game three against the Isles. Again. End of the first period. The guys make a great play to give him a wide open backdoor goal to tie the game up.. He whiffs. That is Domenik Simon to me. Talented guy but just never quite gets it.

I feel very differently about simon. I agree completely he lacks the ability to convert. But he does everything else very well. I would hate to give up on him and see him learn to score and be a really damn good impact player for another team. Cause he could easily be that, just needs to ask Phil for some pointers before Phil leaves.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 8:18 p.m.
Hockey God Genius

- Im Not big on Bjugstad either - I just kno that GMJR loves him.... I think he is a much better RWer and could play very well with Geno or Sid.
- I was a big fan of ZAR until end of this yr and in playoffs... Ive never seen a NHL player look so lost... He just dont have the dedication to be an everyday NHLer
- Simon is a very good hockey player bro ... If Sidney Crosby is calling u the teams most skilled player, Ummm , I think there is something there???
If Simon had anything resembling a shot he would put up 30 goals.. Have u seen his analytics ?? He is a hell of a hockey player... But "IF" and i Mean IF he can develop a shot or maybe do wrist curls all off season, LOL... He could have a break out year... And Gibbons never had 1/8 of Simons skill.... Go back and watch some of the Pens games and only watch Simon, He is slick AF with the puck and is a great 2-way player.
Jun. 8, 2019 at 8:20 p.m.
Hockey God Genius
Quoting: ComYog
I feel very differently about simon. I agree completely he lacks the ability to convert. But he does everything else very well. I would hate to give up on him and see him learn to score and be a really damn good impact player for another team. Cause he could easily be that, just needs to ask Phil for some pointers before Phil leaves.

Amen ... Simon is very skilled, he is a great 2-way player. BUT He has NO shot at all ... I said he should do wrist curls all off season, lol

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll