SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Mock-Draft

Full First Round Mock w/ Pick Explanations 2.0

Full First Round Mock w/ Pick Explanations 2.0

Draft Class: 2019
Created By: bruinsdude77
Published: Jun. 9, 2019 at 5:17 p.m.
Description
This is my second go-round of just doing the first round. I'll do one more in a couple weeks and mock both rounds.
ROUND 1TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
1Logo of the New Jersey Devils-This seems all but confirmed at this point. Great add for NJ and a possible selling point on a Taylor Hall extension
2Logo of the New York Rangers-This too is essentially a done deal. I think the Rangers are a sneaky contender for Matt Duchene and a long-term deal in NY looks even nicer with Kakko on the wing
3Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-I think Byram is the third-best player in this class, but there's a limit to "best player available". I don't think you can spend the draft capital on defenders that the Blackhawks have the last two years and then go back to the well yet again. They need a forward and a local kid with a well-rounded game is a great pick
4Logo of the Colorado AvalancheLogo of the Ottawa SenatorsI've seen Byram mocked here and it does make sense. Yes, Makar is arguably the best prospect defenseman in the game, but beyond Timmins the pipeline is pretty bare. However, going over some stuff from the Combine, the Avs didn't meet with a number of projected late first-round forwards. For a team with two first-rounders and a need for secondary scoring, that's strange. The only explanation is that they plan on taking a forward here and addressing defense later or they have that No. 16 pick earmarked for Spencer Knight. I lean toward the first scenario and go forward here. I like Cozens a lot, especially if its between he and Dach.
5Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-The buck stops here. Sorry, Redwings fans, but I'm convinced that there's no way Byram gets past the Kings, who desperately need that blue chipper on defense
6Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-Yzerman is a reasonable guy and he knows a) he can't turn the team around in one season and b) this is likely a lifetime gig and he can take his time. Podkolzin is a dynamic offensive talent whose only real downside is that there's two years left on his KHL contract and he may stay overseas beyond that. Yzerman will wait for his arrival and for this pick to pay off
7Logo of the Buffalo Sabres-Hard not to root for Caufield once you've watched him play. He's earned this draft slot and is exactly the kind of building block that Botterill likes and needs
8Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-I like but don't love Dach and was ready to put Krebs here instead. The torn Achilles changed that. Dach is the safer pick and Edmonton needs to make smart picks to start adding talent before its too late
9Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-I know I just said that Krebs' torn Achilles scared me, but he still makes sense here. Let me first say that the Ducks desperately need a top prospect defenseman, but I don't see the value in taking one here. Up front, it's easy to forget that behind all the high-profile old, broken down forwards in Anaheim is a TON of young offensive talent. They can be patient with Krebs, who now qualifies as more of a project, of course with great upside. Take some time to see which of these top forward prospects pan out and in a few years Krebs will be ready to fill in where needed. I think he could play center or wing in the pros.
10Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-Go look at Vancouver's depth chart and tell me who's blocking Boldy from being a top-six LW for this team for a long time. The kid may be tempted to just skip BC next year and jump right in.
11Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-Philly is tough to peg here. They have a lot of good young forwards on the NHL roster already and several more on the way and some promising projects. Yet, I hate that Trevor Zegras is still on the board. Still, I think the Flyers have hit on so many early forwards in recent years that they can reach for a defenseman here. I like York over Broberg, especially for Philly.
12Logo of the Minnesota Wild-No chance the Wild enter draft day thinking they can get Zegras here. Game-changing good luck here for a team that had a tough season. I love Zegras' play-making ability and think he could be the face of the youth movement in Minnesota.
13Logo of the Florida Panthers-The Panthers need defense badly and sooner rather than later. Broberg is a polished, well-rounded defenseman even if there's nothing spectacular about him. He can help Florida in a year's time. Worth mentioning that this is the earliest I can see Spencer Knight going, but Florida would have to truly love him
14Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-To me, Kaliyev just seems like John Chayka's kind of guy. Young, raw, and full of potential, I think that Kaliyev could be a challenging project, but with massive potential payout
15Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-I loved the potential fit of Raphael Lavoie ending up in Montreal, but too many people are saying that they're targeting defense for it not to be true. The smooth-skating Soderstrom is next up on my board
16Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-The Avs have two pressing needs: secondary scoring and a new top defense prospect with Makar graduating. If they take Byram fourth, I don't think they can find a forward here they can reasonably expect to contribute right away. In that case, they may take Spencer Knight and get their goalie of the future. However, I mocked them as taking Cozens fourth, a player I really like, so they still need that defender in the pipeline. I've come around on Harley and believe he can be that. He's also a tall lefty, which Makar is not. Future pairing?
17Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-Vegas could go almost anywhere here. Their pipeline is still relatively shallow heading into their third season and they have needs at forward, defense, and goalie. I seriously considered Spencer Knight here and also looked at defenders but wasn't thrilled with the value. I went pure best player available and that's Newhook, who I think has great upside and will really improve in college.
18Logo of the Dallas Stars-If you're Dallas and part of your need for defense is the developmental issues of Julius Honka, you're probably not so excited to draft his even more talented, but more polarizing boom-or-bust brother. Give me the safer, more conservative Heinola. Dallas has needs up front as well, but based on numbers alone just really need some young defenders in the system
19Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Columbus Blue JacketsOttawa may be hurting at the NHL level, but their prospect depth is unparalleled. Perhaps the only weakness is at RW. If Lavoie, the top Q prospect, isn't going to end up in Montreal then Ottawa is the next-best spot. Although I did consider Bobby Brink here as well.
20Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Winnipeg JetsThe Rangers used two first-rounders on defensemen last year, they'll do the same with forwards this year. New York can really move their rebuild along by bringing in both Kakko and Dorofeyev. Fellow Russian prospects Kravtsov and Shestyorkin almost guarantee that Doroeyev will make the jump too
21Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins-The Penguins have put off finding a center of the future for long enough. Take a kid with Suzuki's skill and instincts and let him learn from Sid and Geno and he could be the steal of the draft
22Logo of the Los Angeles KingsLogo of the Toronto Maple LeafsThe Kings would have to be pretty happy to get Byram at 5 and Tomasino here. I considered Bobby Brink, but L.A. is reportedly focused on landing a center and Tomasino is the last first-round caliber guy left
23Logo of the New York Islanders-I mocked Leason to the Isles in my first mock of the year and I'm sticking to it. Lamoriello isn't fooling around and this 20-year-old kid can make a difference right away. Maybe it's sacrificing ceiling for floor, but it makes sense for this team specifically
24Logo of the Nashville Predators-I had the Predators landing Nils Hoglander here in my last mock, but Brink was long off the board. Here they get a similarly talented and quick winger, but a righty who knows the North American game. Even better. I think the Preds would be happy with this.
25Logo of the Washington Capitals-Similarly, I had the Caps taking Jakob Pelletier last time, but only because Hoglander was off the board. He's the better of two very similar left wings in my book
26Logo of the Calgary Flames-Yes, the Flames are stacked on defense. But all of those guys are in or trying to be in Calgary, regardless of their ages. The rest of the cupboard is almost entirely bare on the blue line. I don't love Seider, but that's why he's still available
27Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning-If anyone can take a gamble on a boom-or-bust talent, it's Tampa. They have a need on defense and Honka could be the answer down the road
28Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-Finally, Knight is off the board. Rarely does a team enter an off-season with such a blank slate at any one position as Carolina does at goalie. Both starter and backup are free agents and the third-string option is likely to be bought out. Maybe Alex Nedeljkovic or Callum Booth will still yet prove to be NHL keepers, but they are now entering their mid-20s. The Canes should take this opportunity to draft Knight and have a much more clear picture of their long-term goalie plans before hitting the free agent market. They can address other prospect needs with two early second-rounders
29Logo of the Anaheim DucksLogo of the San Jose Sharks
Ryan Johnson
The Ducks passed up on defense earlier in the round, but they won't do that again. Johnson has really moved up people's boards lately, as evidenced by the fact that he's not even listed by CapFriendly, and I'm convinced there's something to the hype. I don't think he makes it out of the first round, so he lands here with the Ducks
30Logo of the Buffalo SabresLogo of the St. Louis BluesBack-to-back American defensemen. The Sabres need another high-end prospect on the blue line and the big, physical Vlasic seems like a possible nice fit next to Rasmus Dahlin
31Logo of the Boston Bruins-The Bruins could use some depth up front on the right side, a forward who can shoot, and a forward with some size. Legare checks all the boxes and is a nice get for the last pick of the round
ROUND 2TEAMORIGINALPLAYERDETAILS
32Logo of the Ottawa Senators-Robertson and Jakob Pelletier top my board after the first, but I think Ottawa will look at the blue line after going forward with their last pick. Other top names remaining: Robert Mastrosimone, Maxim Cajkovic, Patrik Puistola, Nicholas Robertson, Egor Afanasyev, Connor McMichael, Nolan Foote, Ryder Donovan, Lassi Thomson, Tobias Bjornfot, Jordan Spence, Zac Jones, Mikko Kokkonen, Mads Sogaard
33Logo of the Los Angeles Kings-
34Logo of the New Jersey Devils-
35Logo of the Detroit Red Wings-
36Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the Buffalo Sabres
37Logo of the Carolina HurricanesLogo of the New York Rangers
38Logo of the Edmonton Oilers-
39Logo of the Anaheim Ducks-
40Logo of the Vancouver Canucks-
41Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers-
42Logo of the Minnesota Wild-
43Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks-
44Logo of the Ottawa SenatorsLogo of the Florida Panthers
45Logo of the Arizona Coyotes-
46Logo of the Montreal Canadiens-
47Logo of the Colorado Avalanche-
48Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights-
49Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Dallas Stars
50Logo of the Montreal CanadiensLogo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
51Logo of the Winnipeg Jets-
52Logo of the Florida PanthersLogo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
53Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs-
54Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the New York Islanders
55Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Nashville Predators
56Logo of the Washington Capitals-
57Logo of the New York IslandersLogo of the Calgary Flames
58Logo of the New York RangersLogo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
59Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes-
60Logo of the Detroit Red WingsLogo of the San Jose Sharks
61Logo of the St. Louis Blues-
62Logo of the New Jersey DevilsLogo of the Boston Bruins
Jun. 9, 2019 at 7:44 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
This is an incredibly well-reasoned job. I can see the merit in every one of your selections (i.e., player and place). My only comment is that I think you, like everyone else, is overlooking Lassi Thomson. I'm hoping one of the SoCal teams will land him, particularly the Ducks at #29 or the Kings at #33 or the Ducks at #39.
TanSor and bruinsdude77 liked this.
Jun. 9, 2019 at 9:17 p.m.
Great mock. I don't agree with some of it but that's the fun in making mock drafts! I will be so happy of we manage to get Zegras at 12. I think behind Hughes and Kakko, he has the highest potential to become a superstar in this league. Just my opinion, I'm extremely high on him.
OldNYIfan and bruinsdude77 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll