Forums/Armchair-GM

Lucic and Puljujarvi deal and Juolevi

Created by: Billy739
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 9, 2019
Published: Jun. 10, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Juolevi is someone MTL covets as a Finnish Youth LD who has played with and against our top Center Prospect Jesperi Kotkanemi .

Puljujarvi and Juloevi both sign for a fair cap but get 1m in Signing bonus guaranteed 2/4 years and maximum performance bonus incentive's .

Kessel allows us to solve our PP problem as he's lead the NHL in PP points beating out Ovi in 2017-18 and was top 10 last year despite PIT issues he produced . if MTL is going to succeed in the Playoffs we need a guy putting up 30-40 Points on the PP alone like Kessel can .
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,200,000
4$1,650,000
4$2,350,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$8,650,000
Trades
MTL
  1. Lucic, Milan
  2. Puljujärvi, Jesse [RFA Rights]
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
Trade at the draft

EDM dumps a impossible contract without retaining and turns the page on a winger who's struggled in EDM under multiple coaches .

Holland brings in a Familiar face in Tatar while adding another Winger who scored more in less time then Puljujarvi . Holland adds 2 forward with Speed to EDM at less then Lucic's and avoid negotiating with an unhappy Puljujarvi who's just coming off major surgery.
EDM
  1. Hudon, Charles [RFA Rights]
  2. Tatar, Tomas ($1,000,000 retained)
Additional Details:
Tatar @ 3.8m cap for 2 years gives EDM value in a top 6 winger for a bargain.

Hudon's RFA rights included to give EDM a Winger who can produce at Puljujarvi's level (JP 139GP 37pts for .27 pts per game, CH 110GP 39pts for .39 pts per game )
MTL
  1. Kessel, Phil
Additional Details:
trade happens at the draft at the end of the first round when teams know who's left . for PIT Vlasic will likely still be available when EDM's 2nd round selection come into play .

for 6.3m combined PIT acquires 2 wingers who can help them with Possession at even strength as well as a top Penalty Kill player with tons of speed and a nasty habit of setting himself up on breakaway's at opponent's defensman's expense :P

Ofcourse as good as the pieces are PIT main motivation in trading is to add depth to their system by acquiring MTL's first in 2020 and a 2nd in 2019.
PIT
  1. Byron, Paul
  2. Shaw, Andrew ($1,000,000 retained)
  3. 2019 2nd round pick (EDM)
  4. 2020 1st round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Shaw @ 2.9m coming off a Career high year of 47 points with a +17. Under Claude Julien he became a reliable pest and two way forward.Shaw doesnt get much time on Special teams but he books some of the most time on ice at even strength among MTL's and CHI wingers.

Byron is a 3rd line winger who plays a major role as a Back and Fore Checker both at even strength and as Top Penalty Kill Winger in MTL for 4 seasons now .
MTL
  1. Juolevi, Olli
Additional Details:
Juolevi for MTL's 15th overall pick giving VAN the chance to lock up BC's Byram . (trade their 10th overall and this 15th overall to LAK or DET for their picks helping their rebuild times greatly in the deepest draft since 2003 )
VAN
  1. 2019 1st round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
15th overall pick for OJ
MTL
  1. 2021 7th round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Conditional 7th round Pick Requires:

Peca to play 10 games in 2019-20 for FLA .
if Peca re-signs then the 7th in 2021 becomes a 5th in 2021

if Peca plays no games in 2019-20 then FLA keeps its 7th round pick .
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$81,101,586$0$4,975,000$1,898,414

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$8,650,000$8,650,000
RW, C
UFA - 7
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$6,800,000$6,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW
UFA
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LW, RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$1,450,000$1M)
LD
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:23 a.m.
Duchene sounds French but he isn't.
MisstheWhalers liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:24 a.m.
Billy739
I know Taking on Lucic isnt ideal but landing Puljujarvi and a 2nd round pick makes it worth it when you use that 2nd round pick to land Kessel to fix your PP.

Lucic's there for the playoffs where Weal will be less effective the deeper the playoffs go .
Lucic's been there and done that more importantly he did so under our Current Coach who he played his best hockey for .
we'll deal with his Cap as until summer 2022 we have no real issues with only Domi owed any major money at which time Lucic will be entering his last year under contract.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:37 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: draft_em_sign_em_trade_em
Duchene sounds French but he isn't.

who gives a **** ?

Gallagher barely speaks french basically reading prepared statements in commercials only if he's paid considerable Cash in hand while speaking those words.
he's the most loveable habs we got and over with the fans .(Actually laughs about failing out of French class in a Stu Cowan interview )

Only Prejudice people talk about Speaking French Mattering when our history of Trades and Signings shows we acquire the best regardless of language even if they outright refuse to learn French like Weber does or Petry has. Price like Gallagher puts no importance on it an attitude that was rewarded with an ironclad long term deal in which Price is guaranteed over 60% play or no play .MTL post 1995 lockout has put almost no effort in acquiring french talent .

Where they do mess up is in the Draft choosing a Leblanc over a Kreider for example based not on Talent as Kreider was the better player.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:41 a.m.
MisstheWhalers
Where's Nate Thompson? He's your 4C, send Poehling to Laval and develop him properly!

Duchene is gonna cost at least $9M.

Wonder if Pittsburgh makes that trade, what was the deal that fell through to Minnesota, what was going to Pittsburgh for Kessel?

Juolevi might need some AHL time, not sure he'll be Nhl ready coming off his surgery or whatever was wrong with him.

Some interesting ideas here but that Lucic deal will absolutely murder you when you have to extend Domi and Mete.
Billy739 liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 12:55 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: MisstheWhalers
Where's Nate Thompson? He's your 4C, send Poehling to Laval and develop him properly!

Duchene is gonna cost at least $9M.

Wonder if Pittsburgh makes that trade, what was the deal that fell through to Minnesota, what was going to Pittsburgh for Kessel?

Juolevi might need some AHL time, not sure he'll be Nhl ready coming off his surgery or whatever was wrong with him.

Some interesting ideas here but that Lucic deal will absolutely murder you when you have to extend Domi and Mete.

Thompson is where he's best suited in the AHL where he can mentor Suzuki and Evans until after TDL / Playoffs .
Poehling will get nothing from the AHL and will be in Suzuki and Evans way so no upside to demoting him given his instant impact .
putting Poehling in the AHL with these guys wont set us up for a Cup run depth wise but putting Thompson there to prepare them makes more sense .(if we put him through before the season starts he'll clear waivers but if we wait to send him down and later bring up Poehling then Thompson wont clear waivers . )

You're right about Juolevi most likely i just pushed him because if i didnt put him top 4 MTL fans would roast my nuts over giving up a 1st round pick for a player who's like you said coming off injury and we dont know how that will turn out .

Lucic deal doesnt effect Domi who until summer 2022 is the only player with the potential to demand money .
Mete is a RFA who's struggled to find his offense , if someone wants to offer sheet him fine , if not like Subban his ass is ours and he'll sign or he'll sit .

Lucic's final year is 4 m for 2022-23
keep him , bury him or buy him out either way getting Puljujarvi and that 2nd round pick is worth the cost .
Lucic's a fighter there for a playoff run under a coach he went to two finals with and won a cup .

Duchene isnt making 9m cap
he may make it after Performance Bonus's but i guarantee there isnt a Contender in the NHL willing to shell that out for a playmaker .
for a goal scorer capable of hitting 40-50 pts more then once in his career , sure i could see 9m +
but not for Duchene . (i heard this same thing about Statsny when he was UFA and he went for no where near as much as everyone on here claimed )
Jun. 10, 2019 at 1:02 a.m.
Quoting: Billy739
Thompson is where he's best suited in the AHL where he can mentor Suzuki and Evans until after TDL / Playoffs .
Poehling will get nothing from the AHL and will be in Suzuki and Evans way so no upside to demoting him given his instant impact .
putting Poehling in the AHL with these guys wont set us up for a Cup run depth wise but putting Thompson there to prepare them makes more sense .(if we put him through before the season starts he'll clear waivers but if we wait to send him down and later bring up Poehling then Thompson wont clear waivers . )

You're right about Juolevi most likely i just pushed him because if i didnt put him top 4 MTL fans would roast my nuts over giving up a 1st round pick for a player who's like you said coming off injury and we dont know how that will turn out .

Lucic deal doesnt effect Domi who until summer 2022 is the only player with the potential to demand money .
Mete is a RFA who's struggled to find his offense , if someone wants to offer sheet him fine , if not like Subban his ass is ours and he'll sign or he'll sit .

keep him , bury him or buy him out either way getting Puljujarvi and that 2nd round pick is worth the cost .
Lucic's a fighter there for a playoff run under a coach he went to two finals with and won a cup .

he may make it after Performance Bonus's but i guarantee there isnt a Contender in the NHL willing to shell that out for a playmaker .
for a goal scorer capable of hitting 40-50 pts more then once in his career , sure i could see 9m +
but not for Duchene . (i heard this same thing about Statsny when he was UFA and he went for no where near as much as everyone on here claimed )

I'm so happy I found someone who actually sees value in Lucic and JP. Everyone on this site seems to trash them without really looking further into it. I know their value is at all time lows which makes it bad for Oilers to trade them now, but if you're a team looking to buy low on players, this is a deal you need to entertain. I'm fairly certain the Oilers would do a deal like this as well. I wonder though, would MTL trade Tatar no retention and Lehkonen for JP, Lucic, and the 38th overall
Billy739, a1111 and CD282 liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 1:27 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: ConnorsCousin
I'm so happy I found someone who actually sees value in Lucic and JP. Everyone on this site seems to trash them without really looking further into it. I know their value is at all time lows which makes it bad for Oilers to trade them now, but if you're a team looking to buy low on players, this is a deal you need to entertain. I'm fairly certain the Oilers would do a deal like this as well. I wonder though, would MTL trade Tatar no retention and Lehkonen for JP, Lucic, and the 38th overall

Yeah i always try to go back and look at real trades to ground myself and focus on Context. This site has a lot of pretend know it all fans who barely know Fantasy Hockey let alone Real NHL Level players .

Honestly i'd say yes Personally

but in Reality Claude Julien since day 1 when he came in Picked Lehkonen as his go to defensive player and i just dont see Julien being willing to part with him given he burned Hudon this year to give Lehkonen more ice time completely diminishing Hudon's trade value after a great Rookie season in which he was only allowed to step up because Lehkonen was injured . I cant say i get Claude's Love fest with Lehkonen but i know Bergavin was involved in the Muzzin deal and Hayes trade's but backed off likely because Claude has a history of flipping out when you trade his guys like Hamilton,Lucic or Boychuk deals(ultimately leading to a divide that lead to his release )

i'd love to free up the room for Evans who's a great talent who reminds me of a Gallagher/Galchenyuk love child not only in his looks and build but his ability as a forward. (as Claude plays 4th liners who are physical and have a grit side to their game which is somethign Evans has the Lehkonen does not nor ever will
Jun. 10, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.
a11111
who gives a **** ?

Gallagher barely speaks french basically reading prepared statements in commercials only if he's paid considerable Cash in hand while speaking those words.
he's the most loveable habs we got and over with the fans .(Actually laughs about failing out of French class in a Stu Cowan interview )

Only Prejudice people talk about Speaking French Mattering when our history of Trades and Signings shows we acquire the best regardless of language even if they outright refuse to learn French like Weber does or Petry has. Price like Gallagher puts no importance on it an attitude that was rewarded with an ironclad long term deal in which Price is guaranteed over 60% play or no play .MTL post 1995 lockout has put almost no effort in acquiring french talent .

Where they do mess up is in the Draft choosing a Leblanc over a Kreider for example based not on Talent as Kreider was the better player.

There a lot of interesting idea but im personnally totally disagree with the Pitts trade , cause of the 1st . I think both Shaw and Byron have great value and if we're refering to a Zucker -Kessel trade we are in the around ...
Billy739 liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 9:38 a.m.
Jay27
At the TDL the Oilers offered Pul straight up to any team willing to Lucic, and there were no takers. How does it make any sense to you to add a 2nd and expect to get a top 6 forward in return?

You may call me one of those
pretend know it all fans who barely know Fantasy Hockey let alone Real NHL Level players .
but if not wanting the slow footed Lucic and his pure poison of a contract on the team I've cheered for as long I can remember is wrong then I don't want to be right.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Jay27
At the TDL the Oilers offered Pul straight up to any team willing to Lucic, and there were no takers. How does it make any sense to you to add a 2nd and expect to get a top 6 forward in return?

You may call me one of thosebut if not wanting the slow footed Lucic and his pure poison of a contract on the team I've cheered for as long I can remember is wrong then I don't want to be right.

you assume to much based on rumors made up without sources .

come back when you have a question rooted in reality or a source for your non-sense
Jun. 10, 2019 at 11:44 a.m.
Billy739
Quoting: a1111
There a lot of interesting idea but im personnally totally disagree with the Pitts trade , cause of the 1st . I think both Shaw and Byron have great value and if we're refering to a Zucker -Kessel trade we are in the around ...

i can agree its a bit overkill but the hope is with these new change our 1st in 2020 will be a late pick #25-31.
i feel with this roster as is and Thompson mentoring Suzuki , Evans and Teasdale in Laval this gives MTL the forward depth for a cup run even with this D core as long as Price and Lindgren perform .

PIT trade shoulda been a 3 team trade on its own post but i wanted to see how close i could come to the caps limit and if i could build a contender today by doing so .
that being said i think i'm pretty close to the mark because as Suzuki , Evans and Teadale get better they'll replace guys like Danault ,Drouin and Kessel in 2-3 years. (then we'll flip those guys for high end picks and prospects .
Jun. 10, 2019 at 1:11 p.m.
Jay27
you assume to much based on rumors made up without sources .

come back when you have a question rooted in reality or a source for your non-sense

"That's a bad f***ing trade"- source; this guy
Jun. 10, 2019 at 1:58 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Jay27
"That's a bad f***ing trade"- source; this guy

how about look at it this way

MTL takes 1 piece from the Pacioretty Trade and turns it into the 21 year old former 4th overall pick and a 2nd
This makes the return on Pacioretty over 2 years :
Suzuki
Puljujarvi
2nd round 50th overall pick in 2019
2nd round 38th overall pick in 2019

we keep Suzuki , Puljujarvi and the 50th overall pick .
we trade the 38th overall pick and what would be a late 1st round pick in 2020 with Byron and Shaw for Kessel a dominant force on the PP in which MTL ranked last in the NHL most of last season .

in my opinion trading a multi 30 goal scorer in Pacioretty for Suzuki , Puljujarvi , and two 2nd rounders in 2019 makes perfect sense when you end up with Kessel a multi 30 goal scorer with 2 cups as a top point producer in both runs . thats a massive win for a GM turning a pending UFA in Pacioretty into 2 young talented prospects ,a pick and Kessel with term .
Jun. 10, 2019 at 8:52 p.m.
MisstheWhalers

Poehling will get absolutely nothing from centering the 4th line. The AHL is the best place for him. The Habs did a good job with Kotkaniemi in his first pro season, Poehling on the 4th line is the complete opposite of that. If he has an amazing camp/preseason that's a different story though.

Domi is gonna get at least a doubling of salary in 2020, Lucic will be a problem as early as next summer, suppose you could trade some guys to make cap space though.

Yeah I don't think Mete is gonna be in line for a massive raise but it's still money/space you need to find, once again Lucic is a problem.

Sorry that's a different time then with Stastny so no comparison and C's get paid more then wingers typically, there's little chance that Duchene is gonna be willing to take less than Skinner, we'll see but I doubt it, he's gonna wanna get paid! ??

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll