Forums/Armchair-GM

What is Perrys Value

Created by: rja
Team: 2019-20 Anaheim Ducks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 10, 2019
Published: Jun. 10, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I have seen some suggest that ANA would have to give up assets to move him; and I have seen others suggest that he has "positive" value.

Looking to hear from all of you about what you think his value is.
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the STL
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the ANA
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
18$83,000,000$55,642,925$0$2,732,500$27,357,075
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$1,541,000$1,541,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$8,250,000$8,250,000
C
NMC
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$1,498,925$1,498,925
LW
UFA - 2
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C, RW
NMC
UFA - 3
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,456,250$1,456,250
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$3,150,000$3,150,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$2,463,139$2,463,139
RW, LW
UFA - 3
$2,600,000$2,600,000
RW
UFA - 2
$1,133,333$1,133,333
C, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$6,500,000$6,500,000
LD/RD
M-NTC
UFA - 7
$2,050,000$2,050,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$6,400,000$6,400,000
G
UFA - 8
$2,602,778$2,602,778
LD
UFA - 3
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 10, 2019 at 5:18 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Full retained, I was wondering the same, if he possibly fits somewhere for a 1 year cap dump back over the two year half price perry.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 5:21 p.m.
2yrs @ $8.6 mil for an aging declining winger = negative value. Now if ANH retains say 50% and gets him to a $4.3 mil hit...then he'd have some value
exo2769 and Dan10900 liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 5:34 p.m.
MNBassman
I’ll give you Jason Zucker for Perry and the Ducks’ 2019 #1
Jun. 10, 2019 at 5:34 p.m.
Quoting: ON3M4N
2yrs @ $8.6 mil for an aging declining winger = negative value. Now if ANH retains say 50% and gets him to a $4.3 mil hit...then he'd have some value

What if the Ducks take on other contracts that other teams do not want anymore? I have at least a couple teams in mind where Perry would actually help them, and they could maybe swap bad contracts with the Ducks.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 5:51 p.m.
I think he is going to get bought out and then sign with rangers on the cheap
Jun. 10, 2019 at 5:53 p.m.
Quoting: rja
What if the Ducks take on other contracts that other teams do not want anymore? I have at least a couple teams in mind where Perry would actually help them, and they could maybe swap bad contracts with the Ducks.

What purpose does that serve for either team? The Ducks would only do it if the incoming contract were way less in value but then the acquiring team dumps a bad contract for a worse one in Perry. In that scenario the Ducks can just simply eat a huge chunk of Perry's salary, which is what is likely to happen if he's actually traded. That's why they'll probably just buy him out because it'll cost them less in actually money spent.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 6:02 p.m.
Quoting: TheJoeMan
What purpose does that serve for either team? The Ducks would only do it if the incoming contract were way less in value but then the acquiring team dumps a bad contract for a worse one in Perry. In that scenario the Ducks can just simply eat a huge chunk of Perry's salary, which is what is likely to happen if he's actually traded. That's why they'll probably just buy him out because it'll cost them less in actually money spent.

Maybe the Ducks could grab assets for taking on some contracts while they transition to their youth? They also need some players on the right side of our blue line, if you remember our previous conversations about the matter. It's not like they are contending for the cup next season; they just need some placeholders, and maybe they can be rewarded for doing something like that.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 6:03 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe

Nmc still in play, so perry could just take his buyout and sign anywhere, was kinda looking at a scenario where perry got to wpg but I couldn’t really find one, would have to be kulikov and pearrault for a retained perry type deal
Jun. 10, 2019 at 6:04 p.m.
Pass it to Lucic
Ill give you Andrew Shaw for Perry and a 1st
Jun. 10, 2019 at 6:14 p.m.
Maybe the Ducks could grab assets for taking on some contracts while they transition to their youth? They also need some players on the right side of our blue line, if you remember our previous conversations about the matter. It's not like they are contending for the cup next season; they just need some placeholders, and maybe they can be rewarded for doing something like that.

Swapping Perry for an expensive d-man a team is looking to dump could actually useful for the Ducks, as long as said d-man doesn't have a more than a year or two left on his deal. The other team would have to be one that is really deep with d-men and are dying for forward help. I'm not sure such a situation exists. Plus is has to be a team Perry actually wants to go to considering his full no-move clause. That's why I think a buy-out is most likely because there can't be many teams that are willing to take on Perry's deal and it isn't likely that many of them are on Perry's wish list. I mean, are they enough teams interested to force one of them to acquire him via trade rather than wait it out for him to be bought out and then just sign him for cheap?
Jun. 10, 2019 at 6:24 p.m.
Swapping Perry for an expensive d-man a team is looking to dump could actually useful for the Ducks, as long as said d-man doesn't have a more than a year or two left on his deal. The other team would have to be one that is really deep with d-men and are dying for forward help. I'm not sure such a situation exists. Plus is has to be a team Perry actually wants to go to considering his full no-move clause. That's why I think a buy-out is most likely because there can't be many teams that are willing to take on Perry's deal and it isn't likely that many of them are on Perry's wish list. I mean, are they enough teams interested to force one of them to acquire him via trade rather than wait it out for him to be bought out and then just sign him for cheap?

It would have to be a team that has at least something that would entice him to come there, and a place that would not get him in the free agency market. One that may come to mind is EDM, who has a plethora of defensemen they are looking to move and are dying for someone to play on the right wing with McDavid. Maybe Perry would like to play with the one of the best players in the world to restart his career? I do not know; just an idea.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 7:17 p.m.
Im sorry but no one......... Absolutely no one can possibly say Perry has "positive value". Now as you start to make him more enticing, things can change but just him for a pick or player is out of the question. 8.6M for two more years for a 34 year old whose body is breaking down after years of western hockey and playoffs should be an absolute no brainer to say no to. I mean GM's love that grit but they should listen to their advisers on this one. Especially when Perry could be available for free when he is ultimately bought out.

Want some grit? Sign a UFA.
Want some leadership? Sign a UFA.
Want whatever it is you think Perry can give you? Sign a UFA!

Unless Anaheim is willing to retain up to 50% of his salary, every team should look elsewhere. Now with that said, If Ana retains 50%, I think you start to get a couple teams interested as a ~4.25M for 2 year player isn't too much if it all goes belly up. If he can even get back to 16-17 numbers its actually pretty decent. I just don't think he can. Best you can hope for is 40 points in approx 60 games because he'll probably be injured for a 1/4 of the season. I think for a little more money and term you can get a prime player who will be able to give you what Perry will and more.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 7:21 p.m.
It would have to be a team that has at least something that would entice him to come there, and a place that would not get him in the free agency market. One that may come to mind is EDM, who has a plethora of defensemen they are looking to move and are dying for someone to play on the right wing with McDavid. Maybe Perry would like to play with the one of the best players in the world to restart his career? I do not know; just an idea.

I highly doubt Perry would agree to play in Edmonton though, McDavid or not. I'm sure he's eyeing an East Coast team so he can be closer to Ontario.
rja liked this.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 7:24 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
Im sorry but no one......... Absolutely no one can possibly say Perry has "positive value". Now as you start to make him more enticing, things can change but just him for a pick or player is out of the question. 8.6M for two more years for a 34 year old whose body is breaking down after years of western hockey and playoffs should be an absolute no brainer to say no to. I mean GM's love that grit but they should listen to their advisers on this one. Especially when Perry could be available for free when he is ultimately bought out.

Want some grit? Sign a UFA.
Want some leadership? Sign a UFA.
Want whatever it is you think Perry can give you? Sign a UFA!

Unless Anaheim is willing to retain up to 50% of his salary, every team should look elsewhere. Now with that said, If Ana retains 50%, I think you start to get a couple teams interested as a ~4.25M for 2 year player isn't too much if it all goes belly up. If he can even get back to 16-17 numbers its actually pretty decent. I just don't think he can. Best you can hope for is 40 points in approx 60 games because he'll probably be injured for a 1/4 of the season. I think for a little more money and term you can get a prime player who will be able to give you what Perry will and more.

If Murray succeeds in trading Perry I'm confident a valuable future asset goes along with him as well as Anaheim eating half his remaining salary. I can't imagine another team is seriously looking at Perry alone even at 4 and a half mil.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 7:28 p.m.
If Murray succeeds in trading Perry I'm confident a valuable future asset goes along with him as well as Anaheim eating half his remaining salary. I can't imagine another team is seriously looking at Perry alone even at 4 and a half mil.

I think many NHL GM's are still part of the old boys club mentality and would love to add a 4M former Olympian and cup winner to their team just for the "leadership and grit" effect alone. You know, Pierre McGuire type GM's.
Jun. 10, 2019 at 7:53 p.m.
Jah1722
In the athletic article a former exec said he thought Perry would get 2 x $4M on the open market. If there’s a team willing to pay that, half retained and a 3rd for the extra couple 100k.

If it’s TOR, Perry 50% retained and 3rd or 4th for Marleau given both players waive the NMC.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 1:42 p.m.
Quoting: F50marco
I think many NHL GM's are still part of the old boys club mentality and would love to add a 4M former Olympian and cup winner to their team just for the "leadership and grit" effect alone. You know, Pierre McGuire type GM's.

I sure that's the case. I also would love to see Perry bounce back with another team and not be burdened by carrying such a big cap hit. If he stays healthy he can still pot around 15 goals and 40 points. Here's hoping.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 1:59 p.m.
Carterman13
A bag of nickles
Jun. 13, 2019 at 12:13 p.m.
I think he had a bad year due to his injuries. It might not be a bad idea to see if a long off season rehabbing gets him back to the approximately 0.5PPG RW'er I think he can be at his age if he's healthy, and if so I think there may be room on the Ducks roster for him still for one more year. He's still a massive pain to play against and as a Flames fan I've always wanted a player like him on our team rather than having to play against one all the time.

I think with 45 to 50% retention there would be a number of suitors for him, especially if he looks like he's recovered decently from injury at the start of the year. Perhaps a team like Florida would benefit from Perry on their third line and tormenting goalies on their PP. I could see them moving Pysyk with a mid to late round pick for a half price Perry as their roster lacks playoff experience and snarl.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll