SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

What is McDavid worth

Jun. 11, 2019 at 2:52 p.m.
ChicagoGM
I've seen so many proposed McDavid trades, and everyone always finds something wrong about them. So fans of Edmonton, what would you expect in return if he's traded? And fans of other teams, what would you be willing to give up for McDavid? Someone had a thread where all 31 teams traded for McDavid, but all of them were huge overpayments. So I wanted to know what fans would consider a fair value deal. If Gretzky got traded, anyone can be traded. I've heard that said before.
gdawg3429 liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 2:54 p.m.
Matthews + Nylander + Brown + Bracco
Jun. 11, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
You're new here, aren't you? laugh

Some things are simply not for sale. McJesus is one of them.
CD282 and exo2769 liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 2:56 p.m.
If you have to ask, you can't afford it.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 2:58 p.m.
ChicagoGM
Quoting: F50marco

(Facepalm) I've seen so many threads about trading McDavid, so I was wondering what fans of Edmonton and other teams would think is a fair return for him. No need to be rude about someone asking a question. It's people like you who really do make this forum a toxic environment.
Buffalo_Chills liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
Connor McDavid is worth AT LEAST
- Two 1st round pick
- Top 4 Dman
- The team's best prospect
- A decent prospect
- The head from the statue of head of Jebediah Springfield
- The Sun and the Moon
- Greninja
- State of New York
- Sweden
- August Rush movie - Director cut
- The Room movie with Director commentary
- Allen's wooden gun
- Two #45
- A SpongeBob narrative title card

Courtesy of Grifflix
kogger and ChicagoGM liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 2:59 p.m.
(delete)
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:00 p.m.
Quoting: ChicagoGM
(Facepalm) I've seen so many threads about trading McDavid, so I was wondering what fans of Edmonton and other teams would think is a fair return for him. No need to be rude about someone asking a question. It's people like you who really do make this forum a toxic environment.

Hahahahahah rude? I imagine anything and everything hurts your feelings? I answered your question and only someone new would pose a question like this. Don't know how this is rude.

If you think I'm toxic, you clearly must be new here bud.
Dylan1995 liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:01 p.m.
ChicagoGM
Quoting: EzioUchiha
- Two 1st round pick
- Top 4 Dman
- A decent prospect
- The Sun and the Moon
- Greninja
- State of New York
- Sweden
- Allen's wooden gun
- Two #45

Courtesy of Grifflix

Haha I remember that.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:03 p.m.
- Two 1st round pick
- Top 4 Dman
- A decent prospect
- The Sun and the Moon
- Greninja
- State of New York
- Sweden
- Allen's wooden gun
- Two #45

Courtesy of Grifflix

This is the correct answer
ChicagoGM and EzioUchiha liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:08 p.m.
exo2769
Edited Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:20 p.m.

Just to stir the pot...

Is it likely...not until hell freezes over, but it's not like EDM hasn't traded away better players... Wayne Gretzky???
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
LafreneiretoKravtsov
Zibanejad, Skjei, Chytil, Georgiev, 1st 2020, 1st 2021
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:29 p.m.
I don’t think you ever get what a player of McDavid’s caliber is worth. One of two scenarios would play out, either a team would overpay dearly for him and wreak their own team or if he demanded a trade other teams may low ball the oilers cause they know they are in a tough spot. I remember the Gretzky trade all too well and I don’t think the Oilers won that trade at all. I personally think that McDavid is worth a top line player, a top 2 D, a top prospect and one or two firsts. Just for comparison I will use the Canes as an example. I would ask for Aho, Slavin, Svechnikov and 2 firsts.
ChicagoGM and Nhl_oilers liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
Jenna Jamison, is she on the list! "just using her as an example, most recognizable"
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:39 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Basically your starting a massive rebuild, with expansion staring at you in two years, so quantity has to be exempt from protection list, and has to be quality. So probably starts with 6 to 8 firsts, as in 3/4 prospects and 2/3 actual firsts, so when Vegas still had Suzuki brannstrom and glass, and package the with 2/3 firsts type deal. Is my best estimate on what mcdavid is worth, if sold on the open market without the oilers having a gun to there head
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:43 p.m.
Official Leafs Fan
I would Put His actual Value as this
Matthews + Kapanen + Bracco
I would expect an actual trade to cost
Matthews + Kapanen + Bracco + Liljegren + 1st
ChicagoGM liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:49 p.m.
Glep
- Two 1st round pick
- Top 4 Dman
- A decent prospect
- The Sun and the Moon
- Greninja
- State of New York
- Sweden
- Allen's wooden gun
- Two #45

Courtesy of Grifflix

Greninja is the most valuable piece
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:52 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Hackadart
I would Put His actual Value as this
Matthews + Kapanen + Bracco
I would expect an actual trade to cost
Matthews + Kapanen + Bracco + Liljegren + 1st

That would put you up against the cap again, I don’t think you trade mcdavid for a retool, I think you would have to think of a rebuild and drai as your Center piece and bring back a ton of prospects and draftpicks for mcdavid, your trade would also fill up your protection list at expansion where the prospects with 3 years left on elc are exempt. You would need to use expansion and salarycap as a weapon if you want to speed up rebuild in post mcdavid era
Jun. 11, 2019 at 3:56 p.m.
Quoting: exo2769
Just to stir the pot...

Is it likely...not until hell freezes over, but it's not like EDM hasn't traded away better players... Wayne Gretzky???

Well times were very different back then also. if you could stick 100M of liquid cash into Daryl Katz pocket, maybe he would be more willing to listen, heck I may even be willing if i were him..... lol

I think my point with all this was to say, whats the point of asking this question? Fine, I would trade Montreal's entire 23 man roster for McDavid.... what does this prove or solve? Nothing. At least in reality we have other comparables to rely on and for the most part, many hockey fans have a general idea of what is fair and what is not. This isn't a discussion, its a circle jerk of pointless debate. I mean ok, enjoy I guess? Lol
exo2769 liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 4:01 p.m.
You would probably wreak your team trying to trade for McDavid. If they did trade him I would like to get a really good winger, to start the trade off.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 4:04 p.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Well times were very different back then also. if you could stick 100M of liquid cash into Daryl Katz pocket, maybe he would be more willing to listen, heck I may even be willing if i were him..... lol

I think my point with all this was to say, whats the point of asking this question? Fine, I would trade Montreal's entire 23 man roster for McDavid.... what does this prove or solve? Nothing. At least in reality we have other comparables to rely on and for the most part, many hockey fans have a general idea of what is fair and what is not. This isn't a discussion, its a circle jerk of pointless debate. I mean ok, enjoy I guess? Lol

Double the compensation for a 10.6 offer sheet or what you said
Jun. 11, 2019 at 4:43 p.m.
Capology Master
Quoting: Hurricanes73
Greninja is the most valuable piece

you forgot about Kawhi
Jun. 11, 2019 at 4:44 p.m.
Capology Master
- Two 1st round pick
- Top 4 Dman
- A decent prospect
- The Sun and the Moon
- Greninja
- State of New York
- Sweden
- Allen's wooden gun
- Two #45

Courtesy of Grifflix

add Kawhi and you are close
Phil2893 liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 5:15 p.m.
Banned
the question is, pre or post trade demand.

Honestly, 1st over all (possibly 2nd) in the draft, and maybe another 1st on top of it. That's what I think his value is.

If they got Hughes or Kaapo, or Lafrenière I think it's a fair trade.

Lots of people over value McDavid. I don't think he has the value of say a Crosby in his youth. I say that because McDavid sucks at faceoffs and his game is built solely on speed. The older he gets the more he'll slow down. That's nature. By his early 30s he won't be the same player as Crosby can be. I just don't see the longevity in his game. Especially as the game keeps getting faster and the other players are catching up to him. It makes him less of a threat on the ice when there are multiple players that can keep up with him.

There are some generational type players out there. Bergeron because you don't want to go against him in the faceoff circle. He gives his team such an advantage that way that it's hard to match.
Crosby because his hand eye coordination and instincts are off the chart.
Karlsson because he's just so dominate as a defense man at reading the ice.

But none of those traits are really age defined like McDavid's are. He'll only be the fastest player on the ice for so long. When that slips can anyone really say they see him being as dominate?
He'll be 23 next year. You hit your physical peak at 25-26. Then you go into decline. Most players can extend their peak into their early 30s through experience. But for McDavid, will that be the case? Experience isn't going to make his legs faster, and that is what he depends on. That's what worries me about him as a player. I see 0 growth in his game. So trading him for a 1st or 2nd over all is what I see as a fair trade. Either Hughes or Lafrenière could be better players than him in the long run. Especially Hughes who could be a player much like Crosby. Where it's his hand eye and his vision in the game that make him so dominate, not his legs.
ChicagoGM liked this.
Jun. 11, 2019 at 8:18 p.m.
Official Leafs Fan
Quoting: Birtle34
That would put you up against the cap again, I don’t think you trade mcdavid for a retool, I think you would have to think of a rebuild and drai as your Center piece and bring back a ton of prospects and draftpicks for mcdavid, your trade would also fill up your protection list at expansion where the prospects with 3 years left on elc are exempt. You would need to use expansion and salarycap as a weapon if you want to speed up rebuild in post mcdavid era

Yeah it would be up against the cap and yeah we would lose an NHLer in Expansion but this trade also makes them a playoff team, especially if they use TOR 2020 1st to get a goalie

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll