Forums/Armchair-GM

Denis Savard like trade

Created by: Billy739
Team: 2019-20 Montreal Canadiens
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 15, 2019
Published: Jun. 15, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
First and foremost if you think the trades off then offer up a counter . this is a feeling out process for now to see where the markets at.

i know Denis gets a lot of crap but he was a key part of the 2 playoff runs before our cup win with 25 points in 24 games leading the 1992 playoff campaign in scoring and 3rd in playoff scoring the year before in 1991 .

Sard was guy who lead on ice until the younger players could step up. MTL currently has tons of promising youth but they dont have that top 10 NHL Center Star lead them until they can takeover.

If we can land another CHI Center top 3 pick overall like a Jonathon Toews lets say then we're a cup team even if he doesnt perform in the playoffs for some bizzarre reason he'll be a Catalyst for the Teams youth.

I'm going with CHI Center because i'm trying to recreate a classic trade that helped set us up for our last cup but realistically there is going to be much more cost effective options. that being said there is value to exploring this option for both teams .
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,200,000
1$900,000
4$1,650,000
3$1,790,000
7$5,200,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Lehkonen, Artturi
  2. Primeau, Cayden
  3. Tatar, Tomas ($1,000,000 retained)
  4. 2019 1st round pick (MTL)
  5. 2020 2nd round pick (MTL)
  6. 2021 2nd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
-MTL's 15th overall pick

-MTL's 2020 2nd round pick
Conditional :becomes a 1st if MTL makes SCF in 2020.

-Tatar @ 3.8m for 2 years
Coming off a Career high Season in a lot of respects outside points alone including Career high assists , +/-, Shot Blocks, and Take Aways.

-Reigning NCAA Mike Richter Award Holder and Star Goalie Prospect Cayden Primeau
MTL
  1. Murray, Ryan [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
CBJ gets a 1st and a 3rd same as an offer sheet with Hudon .

CBJ took on Duclair and turned him into a piece they flipped . Hudon had a Sophmore Slump after his 125 hit ,30 points rookie year grinding it out on 4th line as a small forward just to earn a shot at playing with Plekanec and Gallagher on 3rd that year which is where he scored most of his goals .

not trying to sell Hudon as a top piece , both picks are what matters Hudon a reclamation project you might be able to turn into more picks
CBJ
  1. Hudon, Charles [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 1st round pick (MTL)
  3. 2020 3rd round pick (MTL)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the MTL
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$83,000,000$80,703,253$0$2,675,000$2,296,747

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$3,150,000$3,150,000
C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 2
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,083,333$3,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$2,200,000$2,200,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$950,000$950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 1
$1,790,000$1,790,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
$2,350,000$2,350,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,200,000$5,200,000
LD
UFA - 2
$7,857,143$7,857,143
RD
UFA - 7
$10,500,000$10,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 7
$748,333$748,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$175,000$175K)
RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:19 p.m.
MikeyVC97
In the Savard trade the Habs sent back a young Norris Trophy defensemen named Chelios (established player) no way the Hawks trade thief Captain for hopes and dreams there would need to be a proven NHL stud back in the deal.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:19 p.m.
Nice gamble overall, but I think you overpaid for Murray. Injuries lower is value IMO, what do you think ?
Billy739 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:22 p.m.
Billy739
Also keep in mind we have a number of players that will be going to Laval .
Poehling
Suzuki
Teasdale
Evans
Brook
Fleury

These players will develop their games over the year and can push to steal a roster spot on call up from any habs skater if they standout. If Poehling goes over a Point Per Game and double digit goals by Februrary then he might push us to open up a roster spot at someone else's expense .
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:25 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: MikeyVC97
In the Savard trade the Habs sent back a young Norris Trophy defensemen named Chelios (established player) no way the Hawks trade thief Captain for hopes and dreams there would need to be a proven NHL stud back in the deal.

quick questioon

How much more important the draft is today then it was 25+ years ago where picks were given away for next to nothing?

plus CHI's Needs today arent the same as back then
They Need a youth Goallie like Primeau and they only come along a couple times a decade.
Last time MTL had one was Carey Price and we still havent let him go .

i think you're just unaware who Primeau is
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:28 p.m.
MikeyVC97
Quoting: Billy739
quick questioon

How much more important the draft is today then it was 25+ years ago where picks were given away for next to nothing?

The Hawks big problem and has been since 2015 is lack of center play behind Toews and D ... no way the Hawks trade Toews without getting back help in those areas for a goalie prospect who might work out. The Hawks have been stockpiling goalie prospects over the past few seasons and Nalimov will probably be here this Camp.

plus CHI's Needs today arent the same as back then
They Need a youth Goallie like Primeau and they only come along a couple times a decade.
Last time MTL had one was Carey Price and we still havent let him go .

i think you're just unaware who Primeau is
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:29 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: Poehling
Nice gamble overall, but I think you overpaid for Murray. Injuries lower is value IMO, what do you think ?

you're right i did overpay but he's a really reliable defensive D who's young we'll have to
that being said its more likely if it did happen that it would be two 2nd round picks but this site always wants a 1st for top guys no matter what

i think his injuries like Webers will be looked at with a close eye for sure .
but hopefull MTL is targeting him because he'll be cheaper and last longer then Gostisbhere .
Poehling liked this.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:33 p.m.
What in tarnation
I'd call it unlikely for Toews to waive for Habs. It's a young team. Adding a 31 yo C seems unlikely.

Not to mention that capwise you're absolutely screwed when you consider re-signing Domi. Not a single big contract is expiring and based on how the contracts are looking like now, a 75 point player is gonna cost you around $9M.
palhal and Billy739 liked this.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:36 p.m.
Billy739
Edited Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:43 p.m.
Quoting: MikeyVC97

Gotta disagree about the cause atleast .

their problem is since 2013 when they hired the dumbass who destroyed our team as GM and with crap picks from 2008-2011 with 4 first round bust's to his credit .
Pierre Gauthier was a cancer we cut out and after you guys picked him up your consistent history of finding Gem's even outside the first round like Byfluglien , Shaw Hinnistroza,and Saad for example ended.From 2013-2016 when he was demoted (before being let go a year later) all CHI had to show Debrincat .

just look at CHI draft history before we took Bergavin from you and gave you our Trash
then look at it from 2017-now . you got rid of the Trash and suddenly you got prospects succeeding at all levels even late round picks

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00005218.html
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:39 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
The Savard trade was really a one on one trade not a multiple piece trade. Savard was still a upper tier centre, don't know if Toews hold that cache now.
But now we are in a cap era, Toews 10.5m seems excessive. If Montreal could trade Tatar and Lehotnen for assets, keep all those picks and Primeau, they could spend 10.5m in free agency and be lot better off than trading for Toews.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:40 p.m.
Billy739
Quoting: BurgerBoss
I'd call it unlikely for Toews to waive for Habs. It's a young team. Adding a 31 yo C seems unlikely.

Not to mention that capwise you're absolutely screwed when you consider re-signing Domi. Not a single big contract is expiring and based on how the contracts are looking like now, a 75 point player is gonna cost you around $9M.

I think he'd waive , who wouldnt want to be the Damphousse of this Habs Cup run ?

this site is about determining Value for prospective Trade's
Its a place that needs you to Contribute for it to work :P

that being said is the value close ?
what would it take in your opinion for Toews to go to MTL?

thanks in advance , i know its easy to get swept up in the why it wont work
but i like to look at things a little more constructively
justaBoss and Poehling liked this.
Jun. 15, 2019 at 11:46 p.m.
What in tarnation
I think he'd waive , who wouldnt want to be the Damphousse of this Habs Cup run ?

this site is about determining Value for prospective Trade's
Its a place that needs you to Contribute for it to work :P

that being said is the value close ?
what would it take in your opinion for Toews to go to MTL?

thanks in advance , i know its easy to get swept up in the why it wont work
but i like to look at things a little more constructively

As for the value of the trade, I honestly don't know whether I'd accept it or not.

The offer has good value, and if CHI is going through the young assets this move seems pretty wise.

Then again, Toews is a franchise player in CHI and the long-time captain of the organisation. Not to mention that after the move Alex Turcotte (assuming he's the one that gets drafted by them) is probably their best center, both in potential and actual level.

This trade brings value, but it creates holes. Therefore, I'd still say that CHI is going to decline it. But it's not a bad trade. Honestly what would it take is replacing Lehkonen with a C prospect like Poehling or Suzuki.
Billy739 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 12:12 a.m.
Billy739
As for the value of the trade, I honestly don't know whether I'd accept it or not.

The offer has good value, and if CHI is going through the young assets this move seems pretty wise.

Then again, Toews is a franchise player in CHI and the long-time captain of the organisation. Not to mention that after the move Alex Turcotte (assuming he's the one that gets drafted by them) is probably their best center, both in potential and actual level.

This trade brings value, but it creates holes. Therefore, I'd still say that CHI is going to decline it. But it's not a bad trade. Honestly what would it take is replacing Lehkonen with a C prospect like Poehling or Suzuki.

yeah i can see your point and you're probably right we'd have to give up a Suzuki most likely
What about Danault instead of Tatar? Jake Evans (top AHL Center and solid Prospect)instead of Lehkonen

Danault last year was 10th in the NHL in most faceoff statistics , had a great year and is still young just hitting his Prime .
He's originally drafted by CHI so you know they saw value in him just traded him trying to win a 3rd cup at the time (they got it the year after )

Danault's not a top line All Star Center in the NHL but he could help with the youth movement .
if we're getting Toews keeping Danault just puts Poehling in the AHL anyhow and with Thompson,Shaw and Weal there for support youth with faceoffs its doable .
Jun. 16, 2019 at 12:30 a.m.
What in tarnation
yeah i can see your point and you're probably right we'd have to give up a Suzuki most likely
What about Danault instead of Tatar? Jake Evans (top AHL Center and solid Prospect)instead of Lehkonen

Danault last year was 10th in the NHL in most faceoff statistics , had a great year and is still young just hitting his Prime .
He's originally drafted by CHI so you know they saw value in him just traded him trying to win a 3rd cup at the time (they got it the year after )

Danault's not a top line All Star Center in the NHL but he could help with the youth movement .
if we're getting Toews keeping Danault just puts Poehling in the AHL anyhow and with Thompson,Shaw and Weal there for support youth with faceoffs its doable .

Value-wise Tatar+Lehkonen is above Danault+Evans, I'd say.

I don't know whether Evans has NHL potential, but Suzuki or Poehling certainly do. Hence, I believe one of them must be added to the trade, no matter whether it's Tatar or Danault as the main piece.
Billy739 and Poehling liked this.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 12:44 a.m.
Billy739
Value-wise Tatar+Lehkonen is above Danault+Evans, I'd say.

I don't know whether Evans has NHL potential, but Suzuki or Poehling certainly do. Hence, I believe one of them must be added to the trade, no matter whether it's Tatar or Danault as the main piece.

alright new re-work

Tatar, Danault ,Lindgren ,MTL's 15th overall picks ,and two 2nd's .

This gives them Value, Depth and fills their needs today while also giving them picks to use so they can stock their depth pool.
2 NHL players coming off career years , Lindgren a solid goalie but NCAA developed so Stamina needs work as after 10-12 games consistent he struggles.(solid back up potential but needs to keep increasing his Stamina )

MTL gives up more then i woulda liked but if we're gonna invest in the youth might as well go all in .
i still think Toews could have a huge impact on Centers Kotkanemi and Poehling so its still worth it .
Jun. 16, 2019 at 1:18 a.m.
What in tarnation
alright new re-work

Tatar, Danault ,Lindgren ,MTL's 15th overall picks ,and two 2nd's .

This gives them Value, Depth and fills their needs today while also giving them picks to use so they can stock their depth pool.
2 NHL players coming off career years , Lindgren a solid goalie but NCAA developed so Stamina needs work as after 10-12 games consistent he struggles.(solid back up potential but needs to keep increasing his Stamina )

MTL gives up more then i woulda liked but if we're gonna invest in the youth might as well go all in .
i still think Toews could have a huge impact on Centers Kotkanemi and Poehling so its still worth it .

It's debatable to say whether that offer is actually better than the original one. Basically you swapped Lehkonen+Primeau to Danault+Lindgren. Lindgren as an asset isn't something CHI needs, they have their NHL goalies fixed for a year or two with Crawford, Delia and Lankinen. After the world championships I believe they're gonna give him another chance to prove himself, because he outplayed the likes of Lunqvist, Vasilevskiy and Murray... CHI would certainly prefer Primeau over Lindgren.

Also I don't see CHI moving Toews unless they're getting future assets in exchange, which is why I suggested changing Lehkonen to Suzuki. Moving a franchise center for two 2nd line players, a 3rd goalie and some picks doesn't sound that good on paper.

It could become another O'Reilly trade, if Toews really flourishes in MTL. The risk would be too high.
Billy739 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll