Forums/Armchair-GM

Ghost to Montreal Trades

Created by: LeClairbear
Team: 2019-20 Philadelphia Flyers
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 15, 2019
Published: Jun. 16, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Most of the proposed trades have been absolutely ridiculous. Byron has no value to the Flyers who are set at LW on their NHL roster and have the likes of Farabee, Frost, Ratcliffe, and Strome sitting in Lehigh Valley next year looking for their shot at the big club. Shaw is alright but injury prone and a third liner in Philly at best. They need a middle six RW but preferably one better than Shaw and absolutely not for a player as valuable as Ghost. Drouin is good but probably a little fragile emotionally to be in the unforgiving Philly market and again primarily a LW. Jeff Petry is older, more expensive, and a step back talent wise. The only thing he has going for him is being a RHD and I would rather just keep playing Ghost on his off side then do that trade. Juulson is a good RHD prospect but unproven and with Myers already making the team the Flyers aren't starting the season with two of their 3 RHDs being untested rookies. Especially since Morin will be in the same boat as the 3rd pairing LHD.

If Montreal is serious about trading for Ghost it would need to look something like this. And for all the Montreal fans melting down right now remember you are the ones who need a scoring LHD to fill a big hole. The Flyers can grab an inexpensive middle six right winger just about anywhere. You have to give to get.

The Miller trade is just to round out the defense because losing Ghost without adding talent would gut the Defense. And I tried to be fair or high on the free agent signings.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,250,000
2$2,250,000
6$5,000,000
6$4,000,000
7$7,000,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$6,500,000
2$2,500,000
Trades
VGK
  1. Rubtsov, German
  2. Schlemko, David
  3. 2019 3rd round pick (NJD)
  4. 2020 4th round pick (NSH)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the ARI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the PHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$83,000,000$74,694,722$0$3,102,500$8,305,278
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Philadelphia Flyers
$4,137,500$4,137,500
RW, C
NMC
UFA - 3
$4,333,333$4,333,333
C
UFA - 3
$8,250,000$8,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 5
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$3,750,000$3,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
C, RW
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 6
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD
UFA - 6
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$3,875,000$3,875,000
RD
UFA - 3
$730,833$730,833 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
RFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD, LW
UFA - 2
$678,889$678,889
RD
UFA - 1
$2,500,000$2,500,000
G
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$1,150,000$1,150,000
LD
UFA - 1
$784,167$784,167 (Performance Bonus$107,500$108K)
C
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 16, 2019 at 1:28 a.m.
Thank you for not trading for Byron/Shaw like most Habs fans. I still think it would be drouin coming back phillys way but this is better than most the garbage on this site
Hedman77, DH28Hockey and Gofnut999 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 1:38 a.m.
Banned
And you overvalue ghost a lot! Gallagher is way more valuable too a team than ghost! Both player are great that not the point but gallagher play every shift with grit! He is tough score tought goal! He is a leader and he enters his prime, ans he is reliable on defence! Ghost his a great puck mover and a great quarterback on pp but he is awful in is zone. A defenceman as for first job too defend and its not is bread and butter soo drouin will bee the player too sacrifice for ghost! But Gallagher will never goo elsewhere of montreal
Jun. 16, 2019 at 1:40 a.m.
You’re going to get absolutely ripped apart for this but it’s honestly the most even Ghost-MTL trade I’ve seen
Jun. 16, 2019 at 1:51 a.m.
Quoting: mhockey91
Thank you for not trading for Byron/Shaw like most Habs fans. I still think it would be drouin coming back phillys way but this is better than most the garbage on this site

I legitimately don’t understand how most MTL fans can’t see their hypocrisy with these Ghost trades. Like, if 90% of MTL ACGM teams involve a trade for Ghost and in almost every single thread there’s at least one Philly fan saying it isn’t fair, maybe you’re undervaluing Ghost???????
mhockey91 and Gofnut999 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 1:53 a.m.
Quoting: DH28Hockey
I legitimately don’t understand how most MTL fans can’t see their hypocrisy with these Ghost trades. Like, if 90% of MTL ACGM teams involve a trade for Ghost and in almost every single thread there’s at least one Philly fan saying it isn’t fair, maybe you’re undervaluing Ghost???????

Drouin for Ghost makes a lot of sense imo. I think Gallagher is untouchable for the Habs. Drouin would fit nice on philly though.
capsin9 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 1:54 a.m.
Banned
Drouin for Ghost makes a lot of sense imo. I think Gallagher is untouchable for the Habs. Drouin would fit nice on philly though.

It also fills the hole made by the initial drouin trade.....
Jun. 16, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.

It’s certainly more plausible than Shaw and or Byron (those trades are brain dead), but I still firmly believe that’s an L for Philly. The entire reason Ghost is potentially being moved is due to consistency issues, Drouin is absolutely NOT a good player to add for a team looking for more consistency lol.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 1:55 a.m.
Edited Jun. 16, 2019 at 2:00 a.m.
Quoting: Sebybbq
And you overvalue ghost a lot! Gallagher is way more valuable too a team than ghost! Both player are great that not the point but gallagher play every shift with grit! He is tough score tought goal! He is a leader and he enters his prime, ans he is reliable on defence! Ghost his a great puck mover and a great quarterback on pp but he is awful in is zone. A defenceman as for first job too defend and its not is bread and butter soo drouin will bee the player too sacrifice for ghost! But Gallagher will never goo elsewhere of montreal

If anything Ghost is still being undervalued because of the tired narrative, mostly pushed by lazy beat writers, that he is awful at defense. He is elite at breaking up zone entries and making quick zone exits when he gets the puck on top of his offensive prowess. What he struggles with, like most smaller defensemen, is board battles and clearing the crease. That doesn't mean he is terrible at defense it just means he needs to play to his strengths and be partnered with a physical defensive defenseman to compliment his skill set. Something the Flyers coaching hasn't really done for him. Two years ago when playing with Provorov his numbers offensively and defensively were that of a high end first pairing defender.

And yes Gallagher is very good. But as I said before the Flyers don't need another LW and Drouin if I remember correctly isn't nearly as effective on the right side. He also doesn't play any defense and for his career scores about the same as Ghost. So if Drouin is the "sacrifice" there would need to be some other assets added to sweeten the pot. Remember Montreal fans are the ones clamoring for Ghost. If you want him you are the ones who need to overpay. That is just reality.
DH28Hockey liked this.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 2:02 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: LeClairbear
If anything Ghost is still being undervalued because of the tired narrative, mostly pushed by lazy beat writers, that he is awful at defense. He is elite at breaking up zone entries and making quick zone exits when he gets the puck on top of his offensive prowess. What he struggles with, like most smaller defensemen, is board battles and clearing the crease. That doesn't mean he is terrible at defense it just means he needs to play to his strengths and be partnered with a physical defensive defenseman to compliment his skill set. Something the Flyers coaching hasn't really done for him. Two years ago when playing with Provorov his numbers offensively and defensively were that of a high end first pairing defender.

And yes Gallagher is very good. But as I said before the Flyers don't need another LW and Drouin if I remember correctly isn't nearly as effective on the right side. He also doesn't play any defense and for his career scores about the same as Ghost. So if Drouin is the "sacrifice" there would need to be some other assets added to sweeten the pot. Remember Montreal fans are the ones clamoring for Ghost. If you want him you are the ones who need to overpay. That is just reality.

Quoting: LeClairbear

Im a habs fans and i dont want ghost in montreal! Id rather than samuel morin and a 3 rounder for andrew shaw! That more a trade that i will make
Jun. 16, 2019 at 2:07 a.m.
Im a habs fans and i dont want ghost in montreal! Id rather than samuel morin and a 3 rounder for andrew shaw! That more a trade that i will make

I am a little gun shy of Shaw because of how many games he has missed in the past three years. But that would be an interesting trade. I would love to see Morin succeed even if it isn't Philly and Shaw isn't a terrible fit but I definitely don't want the Flyers over paying for him.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 2:10 a.m.
Rochestadelphia
I totally agree that Habs fans are so uncreative most are posting the same **** as everyone else and then titling it "My Take on What Fair is"
And how did Patrick get into all of this, you can't give on the #2 overall 2 years in when he was hurt when we drafted him.
It's called sell high not low
TLgrinR Habs fans stop trying to trade for Ghost and Patrick
mhockey91 liked this.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 2:16 a.m.

That is a far more intriguing proposal. Personally I wouldn’t do it as a Philly fan solely on the oremise that Shaw’s value is at an all time high and Morin’s is at an all time low, but I wouldn’t hate it
Jun. 16, 2019 at 2:27 a.m.
I'm just glad the Price for Hart + trades stopped lol
Jun. 16, 2019 at 2:31 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: DH28Hockey
That is a far more intriguing proposal. Personally I wouldn’t do it as a Philly fan solely on the oremise that Shaw’s value is at an all time high and Morin’s is at an all time low, but I wouldn’t hate it

He realy think this trade could help but team philly was laking grit last year and shaw would bring them a simmond kind of presence not the same size but same kind of player with more speed! And morin is a left handed defencemen that would meed a year in laval ahl too build off confidence because of the year of injury he face lately trade thet would help both team
Jun. 16, 2019 at 2:31 a.m.
The rumors was Philly are targeting Shaw and/or Byron... but it’s only a rumor
Jun. 16, 2019 at 5:34 a.m.
Quoting: Poehling
The rumors was Philly are targeting Shaw and/or Byron... but it’s only a rumor

The rumor was from a beat writer with no real gravitas. There's also similar rumors that Vancouver are interested. I don't put much stock in them - particularly now - as Ghost is 100% in our top 4. That means replacing him if he's moved and with the Niskanen trade we don't have a lot of cap space to add another D plus a 3rd line forward even with moving Ghost as he on a very team friendly deal.
Jun. 16, 2019 at 8:19 a.m.
Molson beer is meh
yeah I never thought the Shaw / Byron rumor held any weight, Unless 15th overall would be somehow attached.

But ask for Gallagher and this is the instant reaction of all Habs fans

tenor.gif?itemid=5026097
Jun. 16, 2019 at 5:11 p.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
yeah I never thought the Shaw / Byron rumor held any weight, Unless 15th overall would be somehow attached.

But ask for Gallagher and this is the instant reaction of all Habs fans

tenor.gif?itemid=5026097

So basically all the Flyer`s fans reactions to the return being offered for Ghost. Got you. And to be fair I didn't say that Montreal would do this trade. I was just pointing out that this would be the necessary return to make it happen.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll