Forums/Armchair-GM

What the Fk Shero

Created by: FireShero
Team: 2019-20 New Jersey Devils
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 17, 2019
Published: Jun. 17, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
That's it........ that's all it costed for Trouba. How could Shero not match/ beat that? Vatanen, Santini, Bratt, Zacha, Mcleod, (basically anyone not named Hischier, Severson, or Hughes) and all those 2nds. The Devils' defense is bottom 5 in the league and still relies on a 36 old Andy Greene to play top 2 minutes, and outside of Santini has no D-man that knows hows to play defense. Butcher, Carrick, Smith, and Vatanen are all undersized offensive D-man that cannot protect the net.

The three best things that have happened since Shero became GM was the Devils got lucky and won the draft lottery (twice) and the Hall trade. But why would Hall want to stay on this team that seems to be fine with mediocrity. The Devils under Shero only have one playoff game win in 5 years and finished with less than 80 points three times in those 5 years.

Plus Shero's draft record has been garbage with the Devils. Outside of Hischier and (hopefully) Hughes, Shero's best pick is Bratt, a 6th round pick, Zacha hasn't lived up to 6th overall nor has Mcleod at 12th overall.
Free Agent Signings
CREATEDYEARSCAP HIT
Hughes, Jack
3$925,000
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
Logo of the NJD
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
15$83,000,000$37,684,167$0$3,025,000$45,315,833
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,325,000$2,325,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
$2,875,000$2,875,000
C
NTC
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
$749,167$749,167 (Performance Bonus$42,500$42K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Hughes, Jack
$925,000$925,000
$1,800,000$1,800,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD/RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 4
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,437,500$2,437,500
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$697,500$697,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 1
$1,416,667$1,416,667
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 17, 2019 at 11:10 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Zacha was actually decent when healthy and you still have boqvist to look forward to, not to mention blackwood
Jun. 17, 2019 at 11:16 p.m.
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
Zacha was actually decent when healthy and you still have boqvist to look forward to, not to mention blackwood

I am torn on Zacha, he is still young but was still sent down this year because of how bad he played. Blackwood looks decent same with Boqvist. My problems is those are still "ifs" if Zacha stays healthy, if Boqvist is ready for the NHL, if Blackwood will repeat his success or get his confidence destroyed behind this terrible defense.

Hall seems to have one foot out the door already and all Shero has really done is give the Devils tons of B level prospects that may or may not make the team.
Jun. 17, 2019 at 11:17 p.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: Newanda
I am torn on Zacha, he is still young but was still sent down this year because of how bad he played. Blackwood looks decent same with Boqvist. My problems is those are still "ifs" if Zacha stays healthy, if Boqvist is ready for the NHL, if Blackwood will repeat his success or get his confidence destroyed behind this terrible defense.

Hall seems to have one foot out the door already and all Shero has really done is give the Devils tons of B level prospects that may or may not make the team.

If you're looking for a gurantee jack hughes is as close as it gets
Jun. 17, 2019 at 11:24 p.m.
Laughs at NYI Fans
I highly doubt Trouba would have wanted to play in New Jersey.. just saying
Jun. 17, 2019 at 11:26 p.m.
Quoting: Ragsandbluesfan
If you're looking for a gurantee jack hughes is as close as it gets

Yep but outside of Hughes, Hischier, and Hall most of Shero's major moves have backfired: MoJo, Grabner, Vatanen, and Mueller.

With Hughes and Hischier as your 1C and 2C the Devils have a great foundation, but I am just not sure Shero is the right GM for the Devils anymore.
Jun. 17, 2019 at 11:31 p.m.
Quoting: Loops
I highly doubt Trouba would have wanted to play in New Jersey.. just saying

I doubt Hall wanted too either but if Shero would have gotten Trouba, the Devils would have had Hischier, Hughes, Hall, Trouba, and Severson as their core to build around. Which would have hopefully meant that Hall/ Trouba would have wanted to stay long-term since they would have had some chance of being contenders in NJ.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 2:58 a.m.
Classic overreaction. People got hyped by all these Trouba rumours and started dreaming but no one knows if Shero really ever was in on him and made an offer. For sure we could have offered same value or even more - but maybe we just couldn't offer what WPG wanted?

And to add on: Most of the Shero moves came fully unexpected and not after week and weeks of rumours. Expect so this time

And to add on 2: Yeah, we need D-men that can play top 2 minutes. But the plan is and was to add talent. It was never top 2 D-men or bust.
FireShero liked this.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 6:52 a.m.
Pick another team to follow, Shero has done well please go look at what the roster was on his first season with the Devils and compare. Jesus Christ, I really cannot stand my own team's fans.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 11:51 a.m.
Quoting: richu12
Classic overreaction. People got hyped by all these Trouba rumours and started dreaming but no one knows if Shero really ever was in on him and made an offer. For sure we could have offered same value or even more - but maybe we just couldn't offer what WPG wanted?

And to add on: Most of the Shero moves came fully unexpected and not after week and weeks of rumours. Expect so this time

And to add on 2: Yeah, we need D-men that can play top 2 minutes. But the plan is and was to add talent. It was never top 2 D-men or bust.

Those are fair points. I think I was more mad at the fact that the Devils inaction this year and the fact that they fell back so far this year after it looked like the Devils were finally building something last year.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 12:12 p.m.
Quoting: drew1871
Pick another team to follow, Shero has done well please go look at what the roster was on his first season with the Devils and compare. Jesus Christ, I really cannot stand my own team's fans.

CapFriendly only goes back to 15-16 but the Devils had: Schneider, Kinkaid in net Palmieri, Zajac, Elias, Cammalleri, Henrique, and Stempniak in the top 6, and Greene, Larsson, Moore, and Severson in the top 4. With Zacha, Wood, Coleman, Quenneville, Santini, and Blackwood in the system.

So Shero hasn't done much other than trading for Hall, picking Hischier, and letting older players retire (or trading them at the deadline) and filling their spots with younger players. Which I will admit was necessary after Lou traded away lots of picks/ signed older players (like Cammalleri) to try and keep the team in front of Brodeur more competitive.

My frustration is more from this year when Shero has had young players to build around and, as of now, hasn't built around them.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 9:25 p.m.
CapFriendly only goes back to 15-16 but the Devils had: Schneider, Kinkaid in net Palmieri, Zajac, Elias, Cammalleri, Henrique, and Stempniak in the top 6, and Greene, Larsson, Moore, and Severson in the top 4. With Zacha, Wood, Coleman, Quenneville, Santini, and Blackwood in the system.

So Shero hasn't done much other than trading for Hall, picking Hischier, and letting older players retire (or trading them at the deadline) and filling their spots with younger players. Which I will admit was necessary after Lou traded away lots of picks/ signed older players (like Cammalleri) to try and keep the team in front of Brodeur more competitive.

My frustration is more from this year when Shero has had young players to build around and, as of now, hasn't built around them.

Dude, Jordan Tootoo was playing top 6 minutes when Shero took over. Please reevaluate your thoughts.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 10:26 p.m.
Dude, Jordan Tootoo was playing top 6 minutes when Shero took over. Please reevaluate your thoughts.

letting older players retire (or trading them at the deadline) and filling their spots with younger players. Which I will admit was necessary after Lou traded away lots of picks/ signed older players (like Cammalleri) to try and keep the team in front of Brodeur more competitive.

Is that not addressing it? Yes Shero was given a bad/ old team and he has done a good job making it younger, faster, and better overall. But outside of Hall, Hischier, Palmieri, and hopefully Hughes, Smith, and Boqvist the Devils still have a weak top 6 for forwards and a bad top 4 on defense.

I also think that I should state that I do not think Shero should be fired. To me it was just frustrating seeing the Devils play so poorly after Hall went down after it looked they were finally done rebuilding in 17/18.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 10:45 p.m.
Is that not addressing it? Yes Shero was given a bad/ old team and he has done a good job making it younger, faster, and better overall. But outside of Hall, Hischier, Palmieri, and hopefully Hughes, Smith, and Boqvist the Devils still have a weak top 6 for forwards and a bad top 4 on defense.

I also think that I should state that I do not think Shero should be fired. To me it was just frustrating seeing the Devils play so poorly after Hall went down after it looked they were finally done rebuilding in 17/18.

The Devils had NO business making the playoffs that year. Weather your expectations.
Jun. 22, 2019 at 9:02 p.m.

SUP now?
Jun. 23, 2019 at 2:19 p.m.
SUP now?

I should have shut up, I would have rather had Shero done nothing than trade for Subban. Cannot speak for the others picks outside of Hughes, but I thought it was a terrible draft.
Jun. 23, 2019 at 4:22 p.m.
Quoting: FireShero
I should have shut up, I would have rather had Shero done nothing than trade for Subban. Cannot speak for the others picks outside of Hughes, but I thought it was a terrible draft.

You’re insane. Subban instantly makes us better appeals to hall to stay and we are STILL below the cap floor. Find a new ****ing team dude.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
You’re insane. Subban instantly makes us better appeals to hall to stay and we are STILL below the cap floor. Find a new ****ing team dude.

To be honest, I had a bad day and went off after hearing this for the first time latter in the day.

You seem to more positive about it, why are you happy with it? I get Subban is a great player and greatly improves the right hand side on D, but I feel it leaves the Devils with no defensive (and/ or physical) minded D-men.

Plus I am in minority but I was for trading Hall, since he seemed 50/50 on re-signing with the Devils and wanted to be on a winner. What happens if the Devils don't make the playoffs this year; is Hall going to ask for a trade. To me I just thought it would be better to trade Hall for a younger player and make the core even younger. I just think by trading for Subban the Devils are more of contenders now but the window, as of now, is 3 years until Subban's contract runs out and he will be 33.
drew1871 liked this.
Jun. 24, 2019 at 2:01 p.m.
Quoting: FireShero
To be honest, I had a bad day and went off after hearing this for the first time latter in the day.

You seem to more positive about it, why are you happy with it? I get Subban is a great player and greatly improves the right hand side on D, but I feel it leaves the Devils with no defensive (and/ or physical) minded D-men.

Plus I am in minority but I was for trading Hall, since he seemed 50/50 on re-signing with the Devils and wanted to be on a winner. What happens if the Devils don't make the playoffs this year; is Hall going to ask for a trade. To me I just thought it would be better to trade Hall for a younger player and make the core even younger. I just think by trading for Subban the Devils are more of contenders now but the window, as of now, is 3 years until Subban's contract runs out and he will be 33.

I am very happy with the move for Subban. He is our best Dman immediately. He will teach the youngsters. I do not believe the locker room cancer talk everyone says. He was LOVED in Montreal until he was traded, he was LOVED in Nashville until he was traded. Look at all of his work with charities and watch how much he does within Newark. The Devils are FAR away from cap problems and Subban's contract will not hurt them in the slightest. He was hurt last year and not playing as much. He will rebound back to form this year, I guarantee it. The Devils are contenders now, but they will remain contenders in the future, the ONLY thing they gave up of importance in this deal is the 34th pick, which is a crap shoot on if it pans out. Subban, Hughes, Nico, Ty Smith, and a healthy Hall, Will attract another key piece in free agency needed. Also, Subban can and does play physical, there are some nice videos out there of him laying people out, especially Brad "the rat" Marchand.

Sorry that I was a dick in my last post, was a few beers in.
FireShero liked this.
Jun. 26, 2019 at 5:30 p.m.
I am very happy with the move for Subban. He is our best Dman immediately. He will teach the youngsters. I do not believe the locker room cancer talk everyone says. He was LOVED in Montreal until he was traded, he was LOVED in Nashville until he was traded. Look at all of his work with charities and watch how much he does within Newark. The Devils are FAR away from cap problems and Subban's contract will not hurt them in the slightest. He was hurt last year and not playing as much. He will rebound back to form this year, I guarantee it. The Devils are contenders now, but they will remain contenders in the future, the ONLY thing they gave up of importance in this deal is the 34th pick, which is a crap shoot on if it pans out. Subban, Hughes, Nico, Ty Smith, and a healthy Hall, Will attract another key piece in free agency needed. Also, Subban can and does play physical, there are some nice videos out there of him laying people out, especially Brad "the rat" Marchand.

Sorry that I was a dick in my last post, was a few beers in.

No worries; I was asking for it. Hopefully I'll be eating my words by December.
drew1871 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll