Forums/Armchair-GM

Leafs GM Draft Offseason

Created by: DocArin0
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 18, 2019
Published: Jun. 18, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
In Depth Analysis of potential roster moves i could either see from the Leafs or the Leafs have options of making should they feel forced into a corner.

So multiple reports have the Salary cap being anywhere from 82-83m bu for sake of argument and to make this as hard as possible i put it at 81.75m for the low end of the spectrum.

Now as the Leafs GM IMO are tons of things needed to be address but i broke them down into 3 category: Priority, Concerning, Back burner.

Priority: (Takes all energy expanding attempting to resolve)
Marner
Top 4 RHD

Concerning: (Concerning aspects that need to be address but other things take priority)
Kapanen
Johnsson
Connor Brown
Zaitsev

Back Burner: (We would like to do if we can, but its not a huge issue if we don't)

Sparks/Backup Goaltender
Bottom 6 Forward Depth
Dermott extension
----------------------------
Core "Untouchables"
Mathews,Tavares, Anderson, Nylander, Rielly.

All other aspects of the team are movable/replaceable to a degree. (Please don't get triggered yet i will explain later)
------------------------------------
First things first Marner: Now from my perspective i think Marner is an Elite player Top 10-15 player in the League, but given the situation the Leafs are in we need to address is he worth the 11m+ its reported he is asking for? In my personal opinion the blunt answer is no. Marner i would love to keep but its a matter of how can we improve the hockey club instead of "This guy is a great player and want to keep him".

Now FLA i see as a perfect trade partner, sure they are in the East but they have exactly what TOR wants and TOR has exactly what they want. Why should FLA hope that Panarin signs with them or even get an Elite forward and still take a run at Panarin/Bobs? FLA has the cap space to pay Marner whatever he wants on a 8 year deal for long term lockup while TOR gets their Top 2 RHD alongside a Lottery Pick at 13 with Prospects like Soderstrom & Spencer Knight still able to be picked if they choose to do so. Picks 6-15 IMO in this draft are super close in value. Everything i have read indicates the insane depth this draft has to offer.
--------------------------------------------
Marleau to a CAL based team just seems its in the cards, I don't think it will be SJS just due to the cap crunch they are in.
------------------------------------------
Brown i think has value as a solid member of any Roster, I just don't see him in the long term future of the Leafs. He does not tick any box's that are not easily replaceable by other members in the Leafs System.
Kapanen & Johnsson extensions i would have no issue if the value extends +/- $250,000 that i signed them to in this ACGM.
I personally think Sandin is ready to come to the NHL next season;however, i think Lilijgren still needs another season to develop.
---------------------
Ennis earned that contract, his play in 2018-2019 earned it for his Bottom 6 role.
------------------------
Zaitsev i have no issue keeping for the Bottom pairing & dedicated PK defence.
--------------------------
As soon as July 1st i am attempting to Sign Dermott to a 3-5 Year extension at 3.5-4.5m AAV
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$3,450,000
3$2,950,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,450,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Ekblad, Aaron
  2. 2019 1st round pick (FLA)
Additional Details:
2019 1st (13th Overall)
FLA
  1. Marner, Mitchell [RFA Rights]
TOR
  1. 2020 4th round pick (MIN)
TOR
  1. 2019 6th round pick (ANA)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,750,000$78,646,366$0$82,500$3,103,634
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,450,000$3,450,000
RW
UFA - 3
$2,950,000$2,950,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$842,500$842,500 (Performance Bonus$82,500$82K)
RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$1,450,000$1,450,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$7,500,000$7,500,000
RD
UFA - 6
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 5
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LD
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 18, 2019 at 7:25 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I haven't finished reading, but thank you for this:
Core "Untouchables"
Mathews,Tavares, Anderson, Nylander, Rielly.
DocArin0 and Ryminister_27 liked this.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 7:30 p.m.
Meme Enthusiast
I think you could move Brown to YEG for a bigger price tag since they are in serious need of a winger with speed
Jun. 18, 2019 at 7:32 p.m.
Quoting: jjkhairaELTE99
I think you could move Brown to YEG for a bigger price tag since they are in serious need of a winger with speed

I Agree, Brown is a special case to me. Hes either going to get pretty much nothing or a haul people are confused about. I don't think there is a trade that is going to happen where people go "Thats fair for both teams"
Jun. 18, 2019 at 7:39 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Can anyone explain to me how Ekblad got the contract that he did?
He is about $1 million overpaid.
Rielly was putting up similar numbers to him (the total difference over multiple seasons is maybe a dozen points) and Rielly's underlying metrics were FAR better.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 7:41 p.m.
Quoting: Random2152
Can anyone explain to me how Ekblad got the contract that he did?
He is about $1 million overpaid.
Rielly was putting up similar numbers to him (the total difference over multiple seasons is maybe a dozen points) and Rielly's underlying metrics were FAR better.

I think it was Ekblad was more of "The guy" in FLA compared to Rielly when Rielly resigned if i am not mistaken Dion was "The Guy"
Random2152 and Ryminister_27 liked this.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 7:43 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: DocArin0
I think it was Ekblad was more of "The guy" in FLA compared to Rielly when Rielly resigned if i am not mistaken Dion was "The Guy"

I also just wanted to say that I think we could get more for Marner from Florida.
Maybe they cover that 1M overpayment or they give us a prospect if the term for that ret is too long (it isn't. See Kessel, Phil deal)
Jun. 18, 2019 at 7:57 p.m.
Banned
Honestly, I'm stumped by this post. Not much to like, not much to hate. So I'm pretty 50/50 on it.

To start off with the big move: I think trading Marner for Ekblad is Hall for Larsson 2.0. Ekblad doesn't have much offence to his game and I'd be cautious to think it's ever gonna come back. Marner plays all 3 zones well and puts up points. Stay away from this move. I don't think he actually gets over $11M. That's just the asking. If the term is lowered, the amount comes down. remember, Matthews was looking for $14M, but that was on a 8 year deal and he came down in term and came down in amount. That being said, if Marner had to be traded I'd like to think it's for a much better return that that (I've proposed a package around Matt Dumba + other assets before which seems reasonable).

I think Brown his a very useful forward and I think at least a handful of teams will be lining up to try to get him. You can argue what he's really worth, I'd argue more than a 4th, but the multiple teams trying to get him would drive the price up so I'd target a 3rd and a prospect for him.

Marleau you're going to have to add something in any deal to move him, that's the unfortunate causality of a cap dump.

Zaitsev won't be playing for Toronto next season, but I'd be fine if he was too in a reduced role. Only problem is that Zaitsev said himself that he'll never play for the Leafs again. So he's as good as gone.

You're right about Ennis. He earned a contract for next season and he's earned a raise. But if it's that much, he can find it somewhere else. He was also hurt last year and didn't score a lot of points. Can't see him getting more than $1M, and he signed in Toronto before for cheap because of the medical team, I'd be willing to bet he'd do it again.

I also wouldn't rush Sandin to the NHL so soon. He's only had 1 season in the AHL and it wasn't a full one because of injury. He looked great down there, but don't rush him and yo-yo him up and down like Toronto did with Percy and ruin him. Liljegren is far more likely to make the team than Sandin. In part for the right handed shot need, and because he was expected to get some time at the end of last season but an injury forced him to miss that chance. I could see him filling Zaitsev's spot once he's moved.

I like your contracts for Johnsson and Kapanen, just switch them. Johnsson is more likely to get the longer term deal since he's older and closer to UFA and it buys out more UFA years so it'll be more expensive. Kapanen is more likely to sign a bridge deal since he'd still be an RFA at the end of it and it's more of a "prove it" kinda deal, Johnsson already did that last summer.

Also with Hyman and Dermott out until December-ish, they'd be on IR and you'd need to find replacement until then (small point and I'm nitpicking but its reality). Internally, guys like Marchment and Engvall I think are most likely to get the shot up front first. And defensively it'd either be Liljegren, maybe a chance of Sandin, or sign a cheap UFA veteran until injuries recover.

But it seems like you know what you're doing for the most part, unlike all the other knuckleheads on here. Lol
DocArin0 liked this.
Jun. 18, 2019 at 7:57 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DocArin0

that's exactly right. The former #1 overall pick when Florida had no defence (they still don't). But Ekblad had all the leverage in the world and took advantage of it to get paid

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll