SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Philadelphia Flyers signed Kevin Hayes (7 Years / $7,142,857 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jun. 19, 2019 at 3:39 a.m.
Quoting: JonJon
It's just an initial report.

True. You're right, there's gotta be some clause. Maybe a modified NTC/NMC.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 3:47 a.m.
Quoting: SuperBurgerHabs
Marner 100m/y confirmed

he's gotta get 9.5*8 crazy money on some of these deals
Jun. 19, 2019 at 3:49 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
HAHAHA! He did it so he wouldn't be ridiculed by the fans and media if/when this deal turns bad! It's physiological for sure. $50M just has a different ring to it, right? It sounds more than one dollar more than his actual contract amount.

I was thinking a cup of coffee because he sells himself short.
Brian2016 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 3:55 a.m.
Quoting: stoker
I was thinking a cup of coffee because he sells himself short.

He could be the next Tim Murray if these huge moves don't pay dividends next season. He's clearly in win-now mode despite a plethora of young talent at all positions. Personally, I think he's acting quite recklessly.
stoker liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 4:04 a.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
He could be the next Tim Murray if these huge moves don't pay dividends next season. He's clearly in win-now mode despite a plethora of young talent at all positions. Personally, I think he's acting quite recklessly.

The next one will be moving Gost for nothing.
Brian2016 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 5:52 a.m.
hockeyhr
I hit "Yes" just because I think Hayes still has great potential. Yes, he is known for his "laziness" among the Rangers fans but still, he can be a great player (great playmaking abilities, great passer, can make a move or two, kills penalties, etc.). I have to admit I was surprised to see Vigneault asking for him (I doubt the Flyers GM picked Hayes on his own) as I did not get an impression he overly liked his play with the Rangers. Who is next for Flyers? Wanna trade for Shattenkirk or Marc Stall? These guys are cheap considering the Hayes contract smile
Jun. 19, 2019 at 6:10 a.m.
Habs/Pens fan
Why are teams overpaying for there "own guys". I can't wait for free agency. Hopefully my teams stay out of it.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 6:35 a.m.
Quoting: Gearhead
...and the "What the hell were you thinking?" award goes to...

THE PHILADELPHIA FLYERS!

Seriously, though. Niskanen, Braun, and now this. Someone please check to see if Chuck Fletcher is sane.

I wonder if Flyers fans are missing Hextall right about now...
Jun. 19, 2019 at 7:15 a.m.
hey look a squirrel
Wth?
Why did Flyers give that term???
zk97 and oneX liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 7:40 a.m.
Not yet trannycided
What in the world is this?

Those Nelson and Eberle deals look even better now...
Jun. 19, 2019 at 7:48 a.m.
Ready for this one....

Over the last 3 seasons:

Kevin Hayes - 223GP / 148Pts / 0.66 PGP
Dustin Brown - 233GP / 148Pts / 0.64 PGP

^Dustin Brown at $5.8 is considered a bad contract...wonder what that makes this Hayes deal?
TraderJoes, zk97, pavelisgoat and 1 other person liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 7:53 a.m.
Hayes is a good player, he can be very good but not under AV, and not for that stack of cash
Jun. 19, 2019 at 8:19 a.m.
The term is okay. I’d feel safer with 6y over 7y but he’s largely been injury free during his career to date. Hey, he could have signed for 8y so could have been worst. I had Hayes going at $5.5M on the open market. To lock him up early perhaps $6M would have been reasonable given what 2nd line centres have been going for ($4.5-6M over past couple seasons).

Also, is there significance to “49” (.99999999)? It’s like Fletcher balked at “50M” so the agents jokingly said “how about 49.9999999M” and Fletcher said “wow, great deal”.

Terrible deal and I’m sure every GM hates him right now.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 8:20 a.m.
Crazy
i just puked a little
Jun. 19, 2019 at 8:22 a.m.
So lockout in 2020-2021 confirmed?
CD282, pavelisgoat and stoker liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 8:42 a.m.
The guy has never scored 50 points.... He basically got the same deal as JVR. JVR had a shorter term but both their deals end when the players are 35. However, here is what JVR had done before getting his long term deal at $7m AAV:
6 Seasons of AT LEAST 27 Goals
2- 50 point seasons.
2- 60 point seasons

Comparatively, Here is what Hayes has done:
1 - 20 goal season (25 goals)
4- 40 point seasons
0 - 50 point seasons.

It really makes this deal look really bad when you look into it, and I know it has been said but leaf fans feel better about Nylanders contract by the day even if he doesn't get back to the way we think he can play.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 8:46 a.m.
Banned
Trade Gudas with retention for an older, declining, more expensive D man - CHECK!
Buyout AMac to cover cap for the move above but add $2 mil to the cap next year - CHECK!
Trade a 2nd & 3rd to a team that is in cap hell for a 3rd pairing D man - CHECK!
Overpay a UFA who had a career year in NY but then regressed back to his normal P/GM pace with a better team. And while we are at it, give him 2 extra years - CHECK!

Can we fire Fletcher yet? Of course not because this is exactly how Holmgren used to operate and we know exactly who is currently pulling the strings in Philly!

Will the Flyers be good next year? Yes. Will they be good for a few years? Yes. But that isn't the point. The point is that we could have done better with what we gave up. Colin Miller is sitting in Vegas right now with the same cap hit as Braun. Vegas is also in cap hell and would likely be very happy to get what the Flyers paid SJ for Braun with maybe a slight add.
ThatGuy and stoker liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 9:22 a.m.
v5 CBJ GM
Quoting: Hurricanes73
Too much money. Ideally would’ve been 6.25-6.75 mil. I mean flyers did sign him and not loose a 5th round pick though so I guess it is kinda worth it

I think he's worth 5.75 mil to 5 mil. 7 mil is too much
Jun. 19, 2019 at 9:22 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: DirtyDangles
Trade Gudas with retention for an older, declining, more expensive D man - CHECK!
Buyout AMac to cover cap for the move above but add $2 mil to the cap next year - CHECK!
Trade a 2nd & 3rd to a team that is in cap hell for a 3rd pairing D man - CHECK!
Overpay a UFA who had a career year in NY but then regressed back to his normal P/GM pace with a better team. And while we are at it, give him 2 extra years - CHECK!

Can we fire Fletcher yet? Of course not because this is exactly how Holmgren used to operate and we know exactly who is currently pulling the strings in Philly!

Will the Flyers be good next year? Yes. Will they be good for a few years? Yes. But that isn't the point. The point is that we could have done better with what we gave up. Colin Miller is sitting in Vegas right now with the same cap hit as Braun. Vegas is also in cap hell and would likely be very happy to get what the Flyers paid SJ for Braun with maybe a slight add.

lol...

So what's next for philly?
Jun. 19, 2019 at 9:26 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: ThatGuy
lol...

So what's next for philly?

Probably sign a 3RW to more $ and term than he should get and block Frost and Farabee for the foreseeable future. Then sign Talbot to $4 mil per year or something stupid like that.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 9:28 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
not only is this terrible on paper, it also stalls the development of Nolan Patrick and Morgan Frost (unless they move to wing). and they just drafted O’Brian, fwiw. no room for those guys to grow. what a bad move

I see Hayes moving to the wing down the road, I think he was utilized that way a few times under AV back in New York. The sad reality is, that's the money he was gonna get regardless of where he ended up. UFA signings are always overpaid if you look at their history. To be positive, he's 27, coming off his best year, and has a good group around him, and the contract doesn't have a NMC or NTC so that could be beneficial down the road
Jun. 19, 2019 at 9:33 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
While I do agree that it's better to attack now and get the guy that you think can put your team over the top, for a team sitting on Morgan Frost and with Nolan Patrick on the rise, I don't see where overpaying for a 2C makes a lot of sense. But this "window" you said that this team has is kinda blurry. You've got a stacked prospect pipeline and the best young goalie in the game with Hart. While Giroux and Jake aren't getting any younger, there are plenty of youngsters that are ready too take this team to the next level down the road. Being aggressive here is what ends up biting you in the ass when you need to dish out big contracts to the youngsters that are making the difference.

Yes, he's a great fit for them for the next few years. I expect the Flyers to make the playoffs next year. But at some point, you gotta let the kids play. Dallas learned that this year, and they let guys like Roope Hintz be the difference between one goal away from knocking out the eventual Cup champs and missing the playoffs altogether.

You are probably looking at 2-3 years before Frost has major impact and another 1-2 until Patrick does. This team can't wait another two years to make moves that help them in the short term. By that time, Giroux's contract will be up, the Seattle expansion will boost the salary cap, and players will be expandable. Maybe the Flyers don't win the Cup in the next two years, but fans just want to win a playoff series. Can't wait another year or two to say "we are a year or two away".

Even if Hayes bombs, it will slot in as a 3rd Line center that can play effective defense and chip in on offense occassionsly. There are other ways to find cap relief down the road if this goes bad. It's a solid move and it shows that the team is done saying "another two years"
Jun. 19, 2019 at 9:47 a.m.
Quoting: EmperorFun
They Evander Kane'd it, but it's so much worse. Total albatross by year 4, but could be earlier. This just cannot feasibly work out.

I must be missing something here... Evander Kane's contract seems completely reasonable for a top-6 forward at about a 30 goal - 60 point pace. I think 90% of the teams in the league would be fine with that kind of contract. And the contract ends when hes 33 years old.

Quoting: BB0808
Lucic and Eriksson must be glad to see this. They can now share the title with one more guy.

Brent Seabrook would like a word with all of you.

This contract only makes sense if there is no NMC or very minimal NTC attached to it. If you can get 2 years out of Hayes on this and then trade him for picks or something then it would be a good play for Philly. Otherwise this deal is garbage overall.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 9:48 a.m.
Sports and Tacos
Quoting: DirtyDangles
Probably sign a 3RW to more $ and term than he should get and block Frost and Farabee for the foreseeable future. Then sign Talbot to $4 mil per year or something stupid like that.

And bridge all the pending RFAs lol
DirtyDangles liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 10:06 a.m.
Rangers 2023
Quoting: KoneDome
The guy has never scored 50 points.... He basically got the same deal as JVR. JVR had a shorter term but both their deals end when the players are 35. However, here is what JVR had done before getting his long term deal at $7m AAV:
6 Seasons of AT LEAST 27 Goals
2- 50 point seasons.
2- 60 point seasons

Comparatively, Here is what Hayes has done:
1 - 20 goal season (25 goals)
4- 40 point seasons
0 - 50 point seasons.

It really makes this deal look really bad when you look into it, and I know it has been said but leaf fans feel better about Nylanders contract by the day even if he doesn't get back to the way we think he can play.

He had 55 last season
Chopper02 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit