Forums/Armchair-GM

Pavelski and Some Vegas Guys

Created by: ForsbergForVezina
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 19, 2019
Published: Jun. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I've become more and more intrigued by Chicago signing Joe Pavelski. The contract I've got here is the absolute best case scenario and there is plenty of space leftover in case this isn't sufficient. I'm concerned about adding a third year, as it will probably include a NMC and he'll want to be protected for the Expansion Draft. If he will accept two years, I think they need to jump on it.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,250,000
2$1,500,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$6,500,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
CHI
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (COL)
VGK
  1. Forsling, Gustav [RFA Rights]
  2. Sikura, Dylan [RFA Rights]
  3. 2019 4th round pick (CHI)
CHI
  1. 2020 4th round pick (LAK)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the BOS
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the COL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,000,000$66,513,353$0$3,782,500$15,486,647
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$6,500,000$6,500,000
RW
UFA - 3
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RD
RFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
G
UFA - 3
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 19, 2019 at 11:07 a.m.
MikeyVC97
If Pavalski signs for anything less than 7 per it will be with the Sharks... if he leaves he will get north of 7 per. I only see Q trading for Anisimov if they sign Panarin. Other than that I like the way the team shapes up as you have it.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 11:14 a.m.
exo2769
Quoting: MikeyVC97
If Pavalski signs for anything less than 7 per it will be with the Sharks... if he leaves he will get north of 7 per. I only see Q trading for Anisimov if they sign Panarin. Other than that I like the way the team shapes up as you have it.

Someone...like Stan wink wink...should offer sheet Timo. It forces their hand to make a decision. What goes around comes around San Jose.
ForsbergForVezina liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 11:16 a.m.
CHI NYI

Alright, like I said there's enough left to make it happen. There should be enough left to sign Strome and DeBrincat, so I'll think they'll be okay.

And honestly, I don't know where Anisimov is going, but Florida needs some depth in their bottom 6, so I sent him there
Jun. 19, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
Chicago Blackhawks
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
Alright, like I said there's enough left to make it happen. There should be enough left to sign Strome and DeBrincat, so I'll think they'll be okay.

And honestly, I don't know where Anisimov is going, but Florida needs some depth in their bottom 6, so I sent him there

I don't think you do have enough left over for 12&17 if you look at potential bonus overages, or (if the team really takes off) using the space for a rental at the deadline. I'd toss out the Carpenter move, leave Wedin in the rock, and you've got yourself enough money to increase Pavelski's offer and cover your ass next year.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 11:57 a.m.
MikeyVC97
Quoting: JackBurton
I don't think you do have enough left over for 12&17 if you look at potential bonus overages, or (if the team really takes off) using the space for a rental at the deadline. I'd toss out the Carpenter move, leave Wedin in the rock, and you've got yourself enough money to increase Pavelski's offer and cover your ass next year.

Next year they will have Corey's cap hit gone he won't be back. Also you will probably trade Saad thats $12 mil right there to work with. Also if the players opt out of the CBA and a new deal is reach it will most likely come with 2 compliance buyouts meaning Seabrook will be bought out without cap penalty so after this season the Hawks could potentially end up with around $19 mil to work with.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
Number 1 Kahun Fan
I think pavs wants a marleau like contract so I think a third year is needed. But Im hype about Pavs, I dont see Sharks resigning all their big guys and doubt Pavs would sign for just a million or two. Why carpenter?
Jun. 19, 2019 at 2:28 p.m.
CHI NYI
Quoting: CFMan
I think pavs wants a marleau like contract so I think a third year is needed. But Im hype about Pavs, I dont see Sharks resigning all their big guys and doubt Pavs would sign for just a million or two. Why carpenter?

He’s bottom 6 depth and a right shot, also a slight step-up from Hayden. It’s honestly just a random suggestion, but we could use another vet at the bottom of the depth chart
CFMan liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 2:34 p.m.
CHI NYI

Well, I’m not too familiar with how overages work, but from a cap perspective, they should be okay. Strome and DeBrincat should cost a max of $15 million, while I think everyone else will fit under with the remaining $10 million and that’s not taking into consideration a cap increase next season.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 4:11 p.m.
Chicago Blackhawks
Next year they will have Corey's cap hit gone he won't be back. Also you will probably trade Saad thats $12 mil right there to work with. Also if the players opt out of the CBA and a new deal is reach it will most likely come with 2 compliance buyouts meaning Seabrook will be bought out without cap penalty so after this season the Hawks could potentially end up with around $19 mil to work with.

Your post is entirely foolish conjecture. Everything you stated is either wrong, or unlikely. When planning out cap space to account for your two most valuable RFAs, you don't deal in speculation like an idiot. You, as a smart GM, prepare yourself for the worst case scenario and leave the room to pay your guys. What if Crow comes back for two years? There is a good chance the Hawks are already discussing this with him, so assuming his entire cap hit is gone or that he'll not be a factor at all would be foolish planning.

What if you can't buy out Seabs, because this whole compliance buyout crap doesn't happen? What if Stan doesn't want to buy him out? Stan is notoriously stubborn and rides his bad decisions (Rundblad) far longer than he should. What if Saad has a strong season, and regains his form playing on Toews' LW? He isn't going anywhere if that happens.

See how this becomes a problem quickly? Plan smart, not just fart ideas onto a post thread as if you know how the guy in your avatar will act...
Jun. 19, 2019 at 4:19 p.m.
Chicago Blackhawks
Well, I’m not too familiar with how overages work, but from a cap perspective, they should be okay. Strome and DeBrincat should cost a max of $15 million, while I think everyone else will fit under with the remaining $10 million and that’s not taking into consideration a cap increase next season.

I believe I understand the bonus overage situation as follows, but if someone else knows I am wrong about this or a part of it, please correct me.

Bonus overages carry over into next year's cap hit. At the end of the season, the team's "final cap space" is calculated, and that is put towards the total amount of performance bonuses earned by players that season. Whatever goes over the cap limit transfers into next year's cap hit. So let's say the Hawks tear ass out of the gate and don't look back, having a monster season. Stan could potentially choose to use his remaining cap space on a rental. The danger therein is how much that rental costs, and how much of the cap that could be used to pay performance bonuses goes towards said rental.

This is the main reason I was happy to see Kahun go in the Maatta trade. I loved the kid, but he had full bonus clauses at 2.95 mil, and Panarin's bonuses sure bit us in the ass that next season. Don't need a repeat of that. Strome has a big potential bonus haul at 2.475 mil, The Cat has one but I think its relatively small. Kubalik has one too, but it may only be about a million. I'm sure Jokiharju does too. That **** can add up to eventually being a bigger hit that you anticipated. A smart GM leaves room for this sort of contingency (like Stan last season).
Jun. 19, 2019 at 8:06 p.m.
CHI NYI
I believe I understand the bonus overage situation as follows, but if someone else knows I am wrong about this or a part of it, please correct me.

Bonus overages carry over into next year's cap hit. At the end of the season, the team's "final cap space" is calculated, and that is put towards the total amount of performance bonuses earned by players that season. Whatever goes over the cap limit transfers into next year's cap hit. So let's say the Hawks tear ass out of the gate and don't look back, having a monster season. Stan could potentially choose to use his remaining cap space on a rental. The danger therein is how much that rental costs, and how much of the cap that could be used to pay performance bonuses goes towards said rental.

This is the main reason I was happy to see Kahun go in the Maatta trade. I loved the kid, but he had full bonus clauses at 2.95 mil, and Panarin's bonuses sure bit us in the ass that next season. Don't need a repeat of that. Strome has a big potential bonus haul at 2.475 mil, The Cat has one but I think its relatively small. Kubalik has one too, but it may only be about a million. I'm sure Jokiharju does too. That **** can add up to eventually being a bigger hit that you anticipated. A smart GM leaves room for this sort of contingency (like Stan last season).

Interesting, okay. I think I remember reading about this at some point a couple years ago, didn't know it was such a big deal though. It's definitely something to worry about as the team goes in to free agency, with so many potential options on the market.

One question I hope you can answer. Strome has a bonus this upcoming season of $2.475 million; when will that count against the cap? If it's 20-21, I can definitely see where the issues could arise, but if it's something we don't have to worry about after 19-20, I don't see why they couldn't spend to the cap next summer, even with other guys' bonuses.
JackBurton liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 10:07 p.m.
Chicago Blackhawks
Interesting, okay. I think I remember reading about this at some point a couple years ago, didn't know it was such a big deal though. It's definitely something to worry about as the team goes in to free agency, with so many potential options on the market.

One question I hope you can answer. Strome has a bonus this upcoming season of $2.475 million; when will that count against the cap? If it's 20-21, I can definitely see where the issues could arise, but if it's something we don't have to worry about after 19-20, I don't see why they couldn't spend to the cap next summer, even with other guys' bonuses.

Strome's bonuses are now solely performance based, none of it is signing bonuses anymore. I don't think his particular performance thresholds have ever been disclosed, so it is hard to know whether he'll hit them or not. Based on his progress with the Hawks, I'm going to guess it is a solid chance he could. Especially if this team gets better in the way Stan hopes...

So, this goes back to the same thing I was saying about overages and leftover cap this season. If we reach the end of this coming season, and the team's total leftover cap space is about similar to what it was last year (if I recall, it was around 4.6 million), and Strome hits all his bonus thresholds, then that 2.475 mil goes into the leftover cap space from this coming season, 2019-2020.

Now, if Stan happens to believe in this team and goes out to get a rental or two, and then let's say the leftover cap is $500,000 from this season. Then Strome's bonus swallows that up, and the remainder (now just under 2 million dollars), is transferred onto the team's salary cap for 2020 as a "bonus overage."

That is my understanding on how all this works.
ForsbergForVezina liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll