Forums/Armchair-GM

What Did It Cost - Everything

Created by: CN10
Team: 2019-20 Columbus Blue Jackets
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 18, 2019
Published: Jun. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Kekalainen pushed his chips in and Columbus can take pride in upsetting the best regular season team the salary cap era has seen. However, they are likely to lose several of their best players as UFA's and are left with few draft selections in the next couple of years. They have built a solid defensive core that Tortorella should be able to rely on to attempt to eke out games and remain competitive, but Columbus will have their work cut out for them in order to avoid taking a step back and try to build on their first playoff round win in franchise history.

RFA's
Werenski - Jackets lock up one of the top young defenders in the game to a max term contract. They see him as their future captain and will build their roster around him and Jones at the back end.
Murray - Sign him to a medium term reasonable value deal, solidifying the second pairing. They can also trade him or one of their younger LHD for help up front if the right offer comes along. The Jackets may be a candidate to end up protecting 4F & 4D instead of 7F & 3D for the Seattle expansion if they don't choose to move Murray.
Sedlak - Signs in the KHL.
Harrington - Signs a 1 x 925k to be the 6/7 defenseman, competing with Gavrikov for the bottom pairing LD spot.
Korpisalo - Is likely traded with Merkzlikins coming over to take over his backup spot and be groomed alongside a veteran starter to take over the starting job.
Clendening - Signs 1 x 825k to compete for the 6/7 spot or lead the AHL team.
Milano - Extended for one more year in hopes he puts it together and earns a spot on the big club. He is also a candidate for a change of scenery trade to recoup picks.
MacInnis, Scott, Somerby, Robinson - Signed for AHL team for one more year.

UFA
Panarin - Jackets offer him 8 x $9.25M but he likely elects to sign for similar money (or perhaps even more) in a larger market.
Dzingel - Likely offer him a decent contract (4 x $4M), but someone else overpays for his career year.
Duchene - Will be costly to re-sign as not only does Columbus have to out bid other teams, they would have to send Ottawa another first rounder. They choose to keep the pick and get forward help from another avenue.
Bobrovsky - Jackets are willing to move on from Bobrovsky after an up and down year. He's still a great goalie, but they can't afford to pay him what he'll get on the open market.
McQuaid - A tough, solid 6/7 defenseman, but I believe the Jackets will not bring him back.
Kinkaid - Moves on to another team looking for a veteran backup.
Jackets other UFA's are not re-signed either.
The Blue Jackets sign Varlamov to a short term contract to allow himself to prove he is still an NHL starter. He should also be a decent mentor for Merzilikins during his first taste of the NHL.
Did not want to add additional cap for next season as Dubois, Andersson, Kukan, Gavrikov, Harrington and Merlzilikins will need new contracts ($17M plus cap inflation available next season for these players). The Jackets may need to move out Nash & Dubinsky next season to free up some additional funds for these re-signings.

Trades
Comments in each individual move, but overall Columbus can look to their defensive depth to try to get a talented scoring forward. They can also take on bad money for the 19-20 season in exchange for picks.

Lineup
As a number of key UFA's were not retained by the club, the Jackets will have to see what they have in their top forward prospects (Texier .32PPG NHLe last year, Bemstrom 0.43PPG NHLe last year) and move some of their blueline depth for a scoring forward (Drouin). I've put the young guys on lines with good veteran mentors. The lineup also relies on Wennberg bouncing back. There's no point in trading a 24 year old #2/3C for pennies on the dollar. His shooting percentage was way below career average last season and feeding Atkinson and hopefully Bemstrom, who have been more traditionally goal scorers, should help this playmaking center bounce back.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
8$7,250,000
4$4,250,000
1$925,000
1$825,000
1$869,750
1$788,375
1$761,250
1$971,250
2$1,000,000
1$925,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,750,000
Trades
CBJ
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (WPG)
Additional Details:
Jackets recoup a pick for a prospect they are ready to move on from at a draft they really need to add picks at.
VGK
  1. Milano, Sonny
Additional Details:
Vegas likes Milano as a reclamation project better than most of the prospects available during their run of three 3rd rounders this year. They were a little weaker on the left side last season and they will need younger, cheaper players pushing for roster spots in the bottom 6 so they use one of their thirds to grab Milano.
CBJ
  1. Callahan, Ryan
  2. 2019 1st round pick (TBL)
Additional Details:
Callahan waives to reunite with Tortorella who made him captain in NYC and play for a reasonably competitive team in what may be his last NHL season. Columbus moves into the first round taking advantage of a rivals cap situation.
TBL
  1. 2019 3rd round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Tampa moves back two rounds early in the draft to get rid of Callahan's $5.8M cap hit.
CBJ
  1. Drouin, Jonathan
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (MTL)
Additional Details:
Columbus moves their defensive strength, the pick they would have used to keep Duchene, and a good backup to get a skilled offensive player whose team is disgruntled with him. Drouin should help Columbus make up some of the scoring lost from Panarin's departure.
MTL
  1. Korpisalo, Joonas
  2. Murray, Ryan
  3. 2020 1st round pick (CBJ)
Additional Details:
Montreal needs a goalie they can trust to win some games when they rest Price. Korpisalo has been effective backing up Bob (.907 save% in 90 games) so Montreal acquires him thinking he can do the same behind Price for a low cost. They also need LD who can skate and pass well to pair with Weber so they make the move to get Murray out of Columbus for their top pair. They also move up two rounds next draft to add to account for Drouin's higher value vs. the players they are acquiring. 1st is top 8 protected (if top 8, Montreal gets 2021 first instead).
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TBL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the CBJ
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,000,000$70,936,624$0$3,775,000$11,063,376

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Montreal Canadiens
$5,500,000$5,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Columbus Blue Jackets
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$2,500,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW, LW
NTC
UFA - 6
$4,900,000$4,900,000
C
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
RW, LW
RFA - 3
$1,375,000$1,375,000
LW, C, RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$897,500$897,500
LW, C, RW
RFA - 2
$2,500,000$2,500,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$5,850,000$5,850,000
C, LW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$3,750,000$3,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$5,800,000$5,800,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,250,000$7,250,000
LD
UFA - 3
$1,062,500$1,062,500
RD
UFA - 2
$4,750,000$4,750,000
G
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,400,000$5,400,000
RD
UFA - 3
$874,125$874,125
G
UFA - 1
$2,700,000$2,700,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LD
UFA - 3
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:32 p.m.
Can’t see mtl trading drouin for a backup goalie
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:38 p.m.
Quoting: Cheddamonkey37
Can’t see mtl trading drouin for a backup goalie

So Murray won't be a fit with Weber on the top pair? I see Montreal moving a top 6 forward who the organization was unhappy with to end the year and which will soon be replaceable by the forward prospects coming up for a #2/3D and a young backup goalie. Columbus may need to sweeten the deal with a 2020/2021 mid round pick but I think it seems fair and addresses both team needs.
RoadRunner72 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:43 p.m.
Lol..
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:45 p.m.
Banned
you must be high if you think this team is taking a step backwards. Bye bob, your playoff chokes will hardly be missed. We welcome Elvis with open arms.
Bye Duchene, we are are more than ready to let Foudy and Tex come in and play. Dezing who? Come in in Bemström, lets get the party started.
This team is so deep in good young players it's sickening. This is gonna be one of the most fun teams to watch next year. Hands down.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:55 p.m.
Drouin is not a good fit with CLB and Torts in my opinion
Jun. 19, 2019 at 12:58 p.m.
Lets Make a Deal
Quoting: CN10
So Murray won't be a fit with Weber on the top pair? I see Montreal moving a top 6 forward who the organization was unhappy with to end the year and which will soon be replaceable by the forward prospects coming up for a #2/3D and a young backup goalie. Columbus may need to sweeten the deal with a 2020/2021 mid round pick but I think it seems fair and addresses both team needs.

In terms of value Murray for Drouin is not a bad starting point for a trade. Habs would likely be a better team overall if Murray was reasonably healthy for a few years.

The problem is that Drouin acquisition from Tampa was so high profile for Marc Bergevin, that he'd have to be perceived to hit a home run in a Drouin trade at this point (someone like Ghost from the Flyers). Getting Murray would look more like a solid double, not the home run.

For better or worse, Drouin likely gets a longer leash in Montreal, and in a couple of years is finally let go at lower trade value.
CN10 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
Lol..

Great contribution... sarcasm

Quoting: pharrow
you must be high if you think this team is taking a step backwards. Bye bob, your playoff chokes will hardly be missed. We welcome Elvis with open arms.
Bye Duchene, we are are more than ready to let Foudy and Tex come in and play. Dezing who? Come in in Bemström, lets get the party started.
This team is so deep in good young players it's sickening. This is gonna be one of the most fun teams to watch next year. Hands down.

I don't think they will be taking too big a step back, but I do think they need to bring in some proven NHL scoring and goaltending, which I attempted to do my moving out a #2/3D and a solid backup for a top 6 forward and signing a decent starting goaltender. I have two of those three young players you mention playing prominent roles in the lineup and let the UFA's walk. The only major concern is replenishing the graduating prospects without many draft picks the next couple years. I attempted to fix that by moving out a stalled prospect and paying for a first round pick using the cap space from losing the UFA's.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:03 p.m.
Still not enough for drouin.. he’s 24 and a very good forward the return makes no sense for mtl taking a avg top 4 d and a backup goalie..
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
Quoting: EnglishFitzPercy
Drouin is not a good fit with CLB and Torts in my opinion

That is a good point, but I thought pairing the offensive minded Drouin with solid two-way PLD and power forward in Anderson would be a good fit that perhaps Torts could live with one of the guys on the line not necessarily buying in defensively. I see him as a similar player to Panarin and that seemed to work for the Jackets.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:05 p.m.
Banned
Great contribution... sarcasm

I don't think they will be taking too big a step back, but I do think they need to bring in some proven NHL scoring and goaltending, which I attempted to do my moving out a #2/3D and a solid backup for a top 6 forward and signing a decent starting goaltender. I have two of those three young players you mention playing prominent roles in the lineup and let the UFA's walk. The only major concern is replenishing the graduating prospects without many draft picks the next couple years. I attempted to fix that by moving out a stalled prospect and paying for a first round pick using the cap space from losing the UFA's.

they lost 1 first round pick, they will be fine. Those lower picks have such a low chance of being different makers it's not worth sweating it. 24% in the second round. 16% in the 3rd. honestly, who cares. They kept what they need to keep. They will trade out Murray and get picks back anyway.
The last thing this team needs to do is go chasing high priced vets. They got where they are by letting the youth play because they are loaded. Why change now?
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:09 p.m.
Still not enough for drouin.. he’s 24 and a very good forward the return makes no sense for mtl taking a avg top 4 d and a backup goalie..

Fair enough, pick(s) or a prospect the Habs like could be in play to get the deal to go through. Montreal may be able to get a better return for Drouin elsewhere (Ghost?), especially if he plays more like the beginning of last year than like at the end, but I figured the deal I put together would be something that the Habs would have to consider at least as a starting point. I will adjust the deal to make it hopefully more attractive/realistic for Montreal.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:10 p.m.
Laughs at NYI Fans
Bold prediction: Blue Jackets miss the playoffs in 2019-2020.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
they lost 1 first round pick, they will be fine. Those lower picks have such a low chance of being different makers it's not worth sweating it. 24% in the second round. 16% in the 3rd. honestly, who cares. They kept what they need to keep. They will trade out Murray and get picks back anyway.
The last thing this team needs to do is go chasing high priced vets. They got where they are by letting the youth play because they are loaded. Why change now?

They moved a first, two seconds, a fourth, a fifth, and a seventh. Without getting some picks back (as you suggest they do with Murray) eventually the strong youth they have in the system does not get replenished when they graduate to the big club. You need picks to keep the player development pipeline going. I haven't really chased a veteran outside of paying for a first by playing Callahan for a year. I think our opinions of the team are aligned, but you don't see the need to offset the loss of Panarin from the outside whereas I think the kids need some support.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:27 p.m.
Quoting: Loops
Bold prediction: Blue Jackets miss the playoffs in 2019-2020.

Not overly bold, seeing as they were a wild card team the last two years they made it. The Penguins and Capitals seem likely to make it again. Philly got better. It will be another dog fight in that division to get it, but I think the Jackets still have a solid team depending on how the young players do offensively (based on NHLe they look okay), and if they get decent starting goaltending. That was why in this ACGM I went out and got some scoring support to offset Panarin's departure and a decent goalie to replace Bob.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 1:30 p.m.
Banned
They moved a first, two seconds, a fourth, a fifth, and a seventh. Without getting some picks back (as you suggest they do with Murray) eventually the strong youth they have in the system does not get replenished when they graduate to the big club. You need picks to keep the player development pipeline going. I haven't really chased a veteran outside of paying for a first by playing Callahan for a year. I think our opinions of the team are aligned, but you don't see the need to offset the loss of Panarin from the outside whereas I think the kids need some support.

a fourth, a fifth, and a seventh......basically nothing. None of those picks have even a 10% chance of becoming a career 500 game, NHL player. So lets just stop listing them like this is how you build "depth in prospects" it's not.
2 2nds, they got 24% chance to be a career 500 game player. Those are worth something, but honestly, trading Murray will bring at least one of those back, if not a 1st.
Yeah they lost 1 1st. But that's hardly the end of the world.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll