Forums/Armchair-GM

Is the cap going to rise significantly

Created by: palhal
Team: 2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 19, 2019
Published: Jun. 19, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I wonder if the GMs/owner know something we don't know. These UFA and RFA signings seem to very high AAV according to us...the CapFriendly experts, NBA have risen significantly and even more in the future due to the new TV contracts. Is the NHL expecting a big increase in TV revenues from the US and/or international sources. Maybe not this year or next but just time with the CBA renewal.
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the STL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
10$999,999,999$48,165,715$0$400,000$951,834,284
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,640,250$11,640,250
C
UFA - 3
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 3
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$4,500,000$4,500,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$805,833$805,833
G
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 1
$799,766$799,766
RD
RFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$400,000$400K)
RD
RFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 19, 2019 at 5:45 p.m.
Molson beer is meh
I think it’s easy to see why. With Seattle coming in a few years, the influx of cash they’ll be bringing in, the cap will go up by a lot, just as it did when Vegas came into town. Also, the American broadcasting rights are up next year. The NHL will get another load of juice money from a new deal there.

The only reason the cap might not be increasing much for the next 2 years is due to the CBA expiring.
oneX and Ryminister_27 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 5:47 p.m.
exo2769
Do you think this may also mean that the CBA is including possible compliance buyouts? I know Melnyk's stated he thinks compliance buyouts are a form of cap circumvention, but that's just because he's cheap. Most teams could use a compliance buy out or two and the NHL product as a whole would be better...no?
Jun. 19, 2019 at 6:04 p.m.
Quoting: Blazingbat11
I think it’s easy to see why. With Seattle coming in a few years, the influx of cash they’ll be bringing in, the cap will go up by a lot, just as it did when Vegas came into town. Also, the American broadcasting rights are up next year. The NHL will get another load of juice money from a new deal there.

The only reason the cap might not be increasing much for the next 2 years is due to the CBA expiring.

Some pretty good points there.
This will sound very controversial but I feel it needs to be said: the NHL and hockey in general will grow but not at the rate their counterpart the NBA.

Why am I comparing the NHL and NBA? In the 80's and 90's these two leagues were comparable financially and t.v. revenue was similar for both.
What's happened since then is the popularity of one League rise ahead (especially in the US) while the other hasn't been on the big sports network in how long now?

The NHL needs to change and badly. I mean this in the sincerest way possible so the league I love to watch and follow can continue to grow.
NHL needs new blood so it can compete and stay relevant long term.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 6:12 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: oneX
This will sound very controversial but I feel it needs to be said: the NHL and hockey in general will grow but not at the rate their counterpart the NBA.

Why am I comparing the NHL and NBA? In the 80's and 90's these two leagues were comparable financially and t.v. revenue was similar for both.
What's happened since then is the popularity of one League rise ahead (especially in the US) while the other hasn't been on the big sports network in how long now?

The NHL needs to change and badly. I mean this in the sincerest way possible so the league I love to watch and follow can continue to grow.

this is the biggest bunch of nonsense I have seen today. It's a lot easier to see a big orange ball than a tiny black puck on those old 1990s tvs. Which is why there wasn't growth in hockey till larger HD tvs became a thing.

Furthermore, the NHL is growing exponentially while the NBA is shrinking. The attendance between the two in games is almost even now.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/207458/per-game-attendance-of-major-us-sports-leagues/

The NBA got it's growth into other markets beyond north america. That's coming with the NHL now too. It takes time for the NHL to catch up because they started later due to technology. But they will eventually pass the NBA in popularity because it's a better product. Even the people in the NBA know that.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 6:23 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
this is the biggest bunch of nonsense I have seen today. It's a lot easier to see a big orange ball than a tiny black puck on those old 1990s tvs. Which is why there wasn't growth in hockey till larger HD tvs became a thing.

Furthermore, the NHL is growing exponentially while the NBA is shrinking. The attendance between the two in games is almost even now.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/207458/per-game-attendance-of-major-us-sports-leagues/

The NBA got it's growth into other markets beyond north america. That's coming with the NHL now too. It takes time for the NHL to catch up because they started later due to technology. But they will eventually pass the NBA in popularity because it's a better product. Even the people in the NBA know that.

The NHL has always been a gate driven league. The NBA's tv revenues are ten times the NHL's, that's where the real money is. Everytime historically a new tv deal was approaching, we had a lockout or threat of lockout which drove the NHL's bargaining power down with the networks.
oneX liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 6:31 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Chips_n_beer
The NHL has always been a gate driven league. The NBA's tv revenues are ten times the NHL's, that's where the real money is. Everytime historically a new tv deal was approaching, we had a lockout or threat of lockout which drove the NHL's bargaining power down with the networks.

they couldn't put the NHL on tv for decades because no one could see the puck on their 20 inch standard definition tvs. Come on man, be real about it. The NBA was on tv getting contracts and building an audience for decades before the NHL was. It's not even a comparable. But what is happening is the NBA is shrinking, and the NHL is growing. Those are facts.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 6:36 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: exo2769
Do you think this may also mean that the CBA is including possible compliance buyouts? I know Melnyk's stated he thinks compliance buyouts are a form of cap circumvention, but that's just because he's cheap. Most teams could use a compliance buy out or two and the NHL product as a whole would be better...no?

I agree with Melynk. Compliant buyouts are a type of cap circumvention. As a fan of rich Leaf team, I like the buyouts.
Maybe another way of allowing more compliance buyouts is that teams would have to give up draft picks for that right. Maybe one every three years would be allowed. Depending on the cap saving, it would determine the pick forfeited.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 6:36 p.m.
they couldn't put the NHL on tv for decades because no one could see the puck on their 20 inch standard definition tvs. Come on man, be real about it. The NBA was on tv getting contracts and building an audience for decades before the NHL was. It's not even a comparable. But what is happening is the NBA is shrinking, and the NHL is growing. Those are facts.

ten times is still ten times, that kind of disparity gap will never allow the NHL to be as popular
oneX liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 6:50 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: palhal
I agree with Melynk. Compliant buyouts are a type of cap circumvention. As a fan of rich Leaf team, I like the buyouts.
Maybe another way of allowing more compliance buyouts is that teams would have to give up draft picks for that right. Maybe one every three years would be allowed. Depending on the cap saving, it would determine the pick forfeited.

Oh I can for sure see his point, but if you Bettman trying to promote the sport as a whole. Then you're for compliance buyouts. Promote the team that's trying to take risks to get better. Not the team trading for players with higher cap hits than salaries. Allow a team to admit their mistake (they still need to pay the player) and the fan base gets excited for "new blood." Back to the point though. Do you think this could be a sign that teams are so willing to hand out these MEGA contracts? Less fear of Comcast needing to keep Hayes/Jakub/JVR on the books the full term?
Jun. 19, 2019 at 6:58 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Oh I can for sure see his point, but if you Bettman trying to promote the sport as a whole. Then you're for compliance buyouts. Promote the team that's trying to take risks to get better. Not the team trading for players with higher cap hits than salaries. Allow a team to admit their mistake (they still need to pay the player) and the fan base gets excited for "new blood." Back to the point though. Do you think this could be a sign that teams are so willing to hand out these MEGA contracts? Less fear of Comcast needing to keep Hayes/Jakub/JVR on the books the full term?

Good points you make. No I don't think the inflated contracts have anything to do possible more compliance buyouts.
IMO the inflated contracts have to do the expectation that the revenues and cap will rise.
So instead of 3m to 3.5m rise in cap every year. Maybe in 2021/22 there is jump from 86m to 94m and in 2022/23 a jump to 102m.
exo2769 liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 7:05 p.m.
Banned
ten times is still ten times, that kind of disparity gap will never allow the NHL to be as popular

you are clueless. The NBA is shrinking in attendance and ratings. It has been for years. It's incredibly boring.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 7:41 p.m.
you are clueless. The NBA is shrinking in attendance and ratings. It has been for years. It's incredibly boring.

numbers are numbers they don't lie, not like "opinions"
oneX liked this.
Jun. 19, 2019 at 10:55 p.m.

You are the clueless one.
Basketball is the second most accessible sport in the world and people from all walks of life play it.
If only hockey was that accessible but it's not and the startup costs are very prohibitive.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 3:57 a.m.
Banned
You are the clueless one.
Basketball is the second most accessible sport in the world and people from all walks of life play it.
If only hockey was that accessible but it's not and the startup costs are very prohibitive.

none of that means people watch it.
It's ratings have shrunk year after year. It peeks years ago and is in decline. You can tell looking at the attendance and the tv ratings. Both have declined.
Feb. 3, 2022 at 12:02 p.m.
Go leafs go
Quoting: Blazingbat11

Quoting: palhal

numbers are numbers they don't lie, not like "opinions"

Apparently the cap did not rise lol. That Covid thing apparently got in the way.
exo2769 and oneX liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll