Forums/Armchair-GM

Fla Tor

Created by: MNBassman
Team: 2019-20 Minnesota Wild
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 20, 2019
Published: Jun. 20, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Consider the Panthers trade the parameters of a trade and offer solutions/counter offers, please.
Oh, and...SPURGEON SIGNS AN EXTENSION WITH THE PANTHERS!!!
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$850,000
2$850,000
2$1,850,000
2$1,850,000
2$1,850,000
3$3,250,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$825,000
Trades
MIN
  1. Trocheck, Vincent
  2. 2019 1st round pick (FLA)
FLA
  1. Spurgeon, Jared ($2,500,000 retained)
  2. Zucker, Jason
Additional Details:
I repeat, SPURGEON SIGNS AN EXTENSION WITH THE PANTHERS! Sorry, but I'm sick and tired of everyone balking at a Spurgeon trade because he has only one year left on his current deal.
MIN
  1. Kapanen, Kasperi [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Toronto fans - quit saying the Wild need to add here...they don't!
TOR
  1. Greenway, Jordan
Additional Details:
I'm not going to stop posting this until it happens...or shoulda happened...
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
Logo of the MIN
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$82,000,000$65,274,425$0$600,000$16,725,575
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$4,750,000$4,750,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$3,250,000$3,250,000
RW
UFA - 3
$1,625,000$1,625,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$600,000$600K)
RW, C
RFA - 1
$2,875,000$2,875,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$5,500,000$5,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 1
$687,500$687,500
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,000,000$6,000,000
RD
UFA - 4
$2,166,667$2,166,667
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,166,667$4,166,667
LD
UFA - 2
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RD
UFA - 2
$785,000$785,000
G
UFA - 3
$725,000$725,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
LD/RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:16 p.m.
MIN needs to sweeten that deal
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:20 p.m.
Quoting: MNBassman
Toronto fans - quit saying the Wild need to add here...they don't!

If lots of people are saying no, maybe you do. Personally, I think Minnesota needs to add. Greenway is slightly older and hasn't produced to the same degree as Kap. Kap is also a great threat on the PK.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:25 p.m.
Trocheck would be so huge, but I doubt Florida makes this trade since they are going hard after Panarin and Bob. Right now I'm not even sure if they have the space to sign both, but after this trade they definitely wouldn't have the space.

Not sure who we could take back other than Hoffman, who I want nothing to do with.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:36 p.m.
Banned
Florida deal decent in value, could happen depending on the Panarin and Bobrovsky stuff. But I think Spurgeon is a bit overrated by the Wild fans on here. Not sure he's worth the 13th overall pick basically.

& you can stop with the Kapanen for Greenway deal. Just because you say it makes sense or should happen, doesn't mean it does. It actually doesn't. It's a lateral move for Toronto. Minnesota is getting more value out of the deal, so if it would happen, yes in fact Minnesota adds slightly.
Oh and Toronto is reportedly not willing to move Kapanen for a d-man & last I checked Greenway isn't a d-man. His brother is this, oh wait, Toronto already has his brother in the organization. The trade doesn't make sense. Value is off slightly. & logic is off. Idk how many people or how many times you gotta be reminded of that, but that's the way it is.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:39 p.m.
Quoting: Ryminister_27
Florida deal decent in value, could happen depending on the Panarin and Bobrovsky stuff. But I think Spurgeon is a bit overrated by the Wild fans on here. Not sure he's worth the 13th overall pick basically.

& you can stop with the Kapanen for Greenway deal. Just because you say it makes sense or should happen, doesn't mean it does. It actually doesn't. It's a lateral move for Toronto. Minnesota is getting more value out of the deal, so if it would happen, yes in fact Minnesota adds slightly.
Oh and Toronto is reportedly not willing to move Kapanen for a d-man & last I checked Greenway isn't a d-man. His brother is this, oh wait, Toronto already has his brother in the organization. The trade doesn't make sense. Value is off slightly. & logic is off. Idk how many people or how many times you gotta be reminded of that, but that's the way it is.

He's not overrated at all. Here's what The Athletic's national analytics writer had to say about Spurgeon being underrated nationally. The numbers are rankings among all NHL D, not just RD.

"Jared Spurgeon
Game Score: 0.74 (19th)
WAR/82: 3.4 wins (9th)
GSVA: 2.2 wins (20th)
Player Rating: 79.6 (18th)
Value: Average No. 1 defenceman

Perception: I like this pick [of being underrated] a lot. Spurgeon gets lost in the shuffle in Minnesota next to the more offensively gifted Matt Dumba and veteran stalwart Ryan Suter, but he may be the overlooked key piece back there. He’s a bonafide number one defenceman by every metric listed, but I’m not sure that’s a consensus opinion held by most fans. Underrated sounds very right.

The diminutive defenceman has long been championed as an underrated player in the analytics community and it’s cool to see the players going to bat for him. Spurgeon really moves the needle in terms of shot rates and can contribute at both ends of the ice, and while he may not be an elite number one defenceman, he’s closer to it than what public perception may believe."
Wildwinswhen and MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:40 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: TanSor
He's not overrated at all. Here's what The Athletic's national analytics writer had to say about Spurgeon being underrated nationally. The numbers are rankings among all NHL D, not just RD.

"Jared Spurgeon
Game Score: 0.74 (19th)
WAR/82: 3.4 wins (9th)
GSVA: 2.2 wins (20th)
Player Rating: 79.6 (18th)
Value: Average No. 1 defenceman

Perception: I like this pick a lot. Spurgeon gets lost in the shuffle in Minnesota next to the more offensively gifted Matt Dumba and veteran stalwart Ryan Suter, but he may be the overlooked key piece back there. He’s a bonafide number one defenceman by every metric listed, but I’m not sure that’s a consensus opinion held by most fans. Underrated sounds very right.

The diminutive defenceman has long been championed as an underrated player in the analytics community and it’s cool to see the players going to bat for him. Spurgeon really moves the needle in terms of shot rates and can contribute at both ends of the ice, and while he may not be an elite number one defenceman, he’s closer to it than what public perception may believe."

He's an offensive minded d-man. His defensive analytics actually aren't all that great.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:41 p.m.
He's an offensive minded d-man. His defensive analytics actually aren't all that great.

What specific analytics are you looking at?
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:46 p.m.
Banned
What specific analytics are you looking at?

https://public.tableau.com/profile/christopher.turtoro#!/vizhome/2-yearA3ZPlayerComps/ComparisonDashboard

Look at his year from this past season (I know it doesn't track every game, but it's a good sample size). He actually wasn't that great offensively either. But his defensive entries, defensive breakups, and possession entires are all pretty low for a true "#1 d-man". Really the only thing that he was above average in all year was breaking the puck out. He didn't even generate a lot of offence this year.. that doesn't scream #1 d-man at all.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:50 p.m.
https://public.tableau.com/profile/christopher.turtoro#!/vizhome/2-yearA3ZPlayerComps/ComparisonDashboard

Look at his year from this past season (I know it doesn't track every game, but it's a good sample size). He actually wasn't that great offensively either. But his defensive entries, defensive breakups, and possession entires are all pretty low for a true "#1 d-man". Really the only thing that he was above average in all year was breaking the puck out. He didn't even generate a lot of offence this year.. that doesn't scream #1 d-man at all.

What... they tracked 18 games for 18/19, that's far from a sufficient sample size.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:54 p.m.
Banned
What... they tracked 18 games for 18/19, that's far from a sufficient sample size.

that's over 20% of the season.. that's a pretty good sample size for how a guy plays. The stats say he's not a #1. & he's definitely not a good pairing with Rielly. Spurgeon needs a defensive guy to get him the puck and then Spurgeon breaks the puck out. He might be a good fit for Muzzin but that's Toronto's second pair. On Toronto, Sprugeon would have the 4th best analytics behind Rielly, Muzzin, and Dermott (assuming Gardiner leaves).. not exactly a #1
Jun. 20, 2019 at 8:57 p.m.
that's over 20% of the season.. that's a pretty good sample size for how a guy plays. The stats say he's not a #1. & he's definitely not a good pairing with Rielly. Spurgeon needs a defensive guy to get him the puck and then Spurgeon breaks the puck out. He might be a good fit for Muzzin but that's Toronto's second pair. On Toronto, Sprugeon would have the 4th best analytics behind Rielly, Muzzin, and Dermott (assuming Gardiner leaves).. not exactly a #1

My career is in statistics. You're out of your mind if you think 20% of the season is a sufficient sample size and I can tell you've never watched the guy since he's saved our ass countless times on the ice. If you can give me a sample size that covers nearly a full season (>90%), then we'll talk, but until then I'll trust The Athletic writer that also has a career in statistics over somebody on the internet trying to say an 18 game sample size is enough for meaningful data.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 9:02 p.m.
Banned
My career is in statistics. You're out of your mind if you think 20% of the season is a sufficient sample size and I can tell you've never watched the guy since he's saved our ass countless times on the ice. If you can give me a sample size that covers nearly a full season (>90%), then we'll talk, but until then I'll trust The Athletic writer that also has a career in statistics over somebody on the internet trying to say an 18 game sample size is enough for meaningful data.

Lol. He's the 4th best d-man on the Leafs. Even the Toronto players have a smaller sample size, and they still have better analytics than Spurgeon. Stats are stats.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 9:04 p.m.
Trocheck would be so huge, but I doubt Florida makes this trade since they are going hard after Panarin and Bob. Right now I'm not even sure if they have the space to sign both, but after this trade they definitely wouldn't have the space.

Not sure who we could take back other than Hoffman, who I want nothing to do with.

Cap situation Might mean can't do the 1st pick and second wild player... So who is the better match going to FLA in this trade for Trocheck? Because I agree that I don't see FLA having the cap for Panarin and Bob and Zucker and Spurgeon
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 9:05 p.m.
Lol. He's the 4th best d-man on the Leafs. Even the Toronto players have a smaller sample size, and they still have better analytics than Spurgeon. Stats are stats.

But stats are meaningless if it's a tiny sample size. Take this example: you meet somebody through mutual friends and get to know this person sporadically over 2 weeks. Do you know everything there is to know about this person over sporadic meetings for 2 weeks? Absolutely not. The same is true with statistics in sports and in general, you need a very large sample size before you can begin judging a player's ability and to judge them off of 20% in one season is asinine. I'd even call a full season of 82 games a small sample size, players have up and down years.
Wildwinswhen liked this.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 9:06 p.m.
Quoting: kallenpj
Cap situation Might mean can't do the 1st pick and second wild player... So who is the better match going to FLA in this trade for Trocheck? Because I agree that I don't see FLA having the cap for Panarin and Bob and Zucker and Spurgeon

Not sure, I think the trade is fine value-wise, but the cap is the big issue. We'd probably have to take Reimer and Pysyk or something.
kallenpj liked this.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 9:32 p.m.
I don't understand why people are high on Greenway. He's a big guy who moves the puck well, but he doesn't grind in the corners and he doesn't shoot. There have been a few flashes on partial breakaways where he stays strong on the puck and can drive a defender... But I'm seeing him as Coyle 2.0.

That's not a good thing. For those B's fans who only saw Coyle in Boston. He was energized to play for the cup at home. Wait until you see a full season of him refusing to go in the corner and turning away from contact and passing up shots.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 9:36 p.m.
Not sure, I think the trade is fine value-wise, but the cap is the big issue. We'd probably have to take Reimer and Pysyk or something.

I take Pysyk in a heartbeat in this trade. He's only one year at 2.75M. This is a Zucker, Spurg combo trade that I would actually support and that's hard for me to say, because I love both of them as players and as people.
TanSor liked this.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 9:54 p.m.

Right...I just meant that it might not make sense for both of them to go to FLA
TanSor and Wildwinswhen liked this.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 10:01 p.m.
Right...I just meant that it might not make sense for both of them to go to FLA

Gotcha. Sounds like Fenton doesn't want to trade Spurgeon anyways, even if it might be the smart thing to do. He also said he doesn't have any trades lined up for Zucker.

I'm still hoping we take Newhook at 12 and trade Zucker for 14-18 and grab Tomasino.
MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 10:05 p.m.
Gotcha. Sounds like Fenton doesn't want to trade Spurgeon anyways, even if it might be the smart thing to do. He also said he doesn't have any trades lined up for Zucker.

I love Spurgeon. I want him to have a chance to win. Because of that, I hope he gets dealt to Tampa or someone else with a legitimate shot at the cup.
TanSor, Wildwinswhen and MNBassman liked this.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 10:08 p.m.
And I am happy to keep Zucker around, but we need to at least make a few adjustments...
TanSor and Wildwinswhen liked this.
Jun. 20, 2019 at 10:13 p.m.
I love Spurgeon. I want him to have a chance to win. Because of that, I hope he gets dealt to Tampa or someone else with a legitimate shot at the cup.

I love him too and I agree, I think trading him is the smart move. We probably aren't serious contenders for a few years and if we re-sign him we'll waste the better years he has left in him. I'd love to swing for the fences and try to land Marner even if we'd have to overpay him, but I don't think Spurgeon is the D Toronto would ask for. Same goes for Point I'd think.

And I am happy to keep Zucker around, but we need to at least make a few adjustments...

I am as well, I've always liked Zucker, but having 1 right shot forward in our top 9 was a major issue. Fortunately Dumba started playing the left circle spot on the PP which helped a lot until he was injured, but ideally we trade for another top 6 right shot guy to help scoring off of rushes and on the PP. We will see I guess...
kallenpj and Wildwinswhen liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll