Forums/Armchair-GM

One more try - after draft info

Created by: Chiller
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 23, 2019
Published: Jun. 24, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Based on all the news that have come from the draft, this is how i would idealy like it see shaking out.

Signing:
Johnsson and Kappy basically are set. nothing to talk about there.
Marner: Now this is controversial. He wants 11. I get it. He is fantastic, but he is 1. Not a center. 2. Doesnt score as many goals(Goals are more valuable than assists.. #facts of the league). His comparables of Kane at 11% of cap has him at 9.1M. His RFA comparable of Tchkuk, Point, Ratanen are all between 8.1 and 9.6. Nothing says he should be over 10, let alone Matthews money. So youre a fantastic player mitch, sign for your worth.

Trades, I wrote as to why.

JP form edmonton i can see upgrading to a 2nd/3rd. But Edmonton is stupid and I dont think Holland with change much. You need some assets back and browns been rumored for ages. But there is a trade there. Its probably hopeful. in reality, take brown and give the leafs some picks. Goodday

In terms of Miller I truely believe that is far, specifically and only because of the Cap Relief it gives. Its funny, Dubas gave up a 1st to get Marleau out of there. He set the market price. Subban then confirmed what cap space is worth moments later. If Vegas wasnt already 2-3Mil over the cap this is a different story, but the fact that they are, you need to take the real life value of cap space.

Ty Rattie you get as a UFA. BAsically this years Tyler Ennis. You dont think Rattie signs, fine... pick a new this years Tyler Ennis.

Same with Talbot. Insert any goalie that is a UFA and can be a backup for ~1mil/1 year.

Ziatsev is so hard to judge. As a offensive used D he has more value. And I am not that high up on him. But multiple teams asking about him. Old boys hockey club still around liking minutes eating defensemen, ones that are right handed and can PK especially. He weirdly has value... and after that terrible terrible Van trade, they THINK they are contenders. What are they smoking. If you make that trade, you think Ziatsev has value.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
7$9,250,000
4$3,400,000
4$3,200,000
1$1,200,000
1$700,000
2$700,000
2$700,000
2$700,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,200,000
1$800,000
1$800,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Puljujärvi, Jesse [RFA Rights]
  2. 2020 5th round pick (EDM)
Additional Details:
JP Wont play in Edmonton and needs a fresh start. Rumors are they want a 3rd liner. If you believe it here is former 20 goal scorer connor brown, and a former goalie that was league average as a backup.
EDM
  1. Brown, Connor
  2. Sparks, Garret
  3. 2020 7th round pick (EDM)
  4. 2021 4th round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Leafs give JP a 1 year 1Mil show me deal like Johnsson got last year
TOR
  1. Stecher, Troy
Additional Details:
Vancouver rumors to like Ziatsev. I assume Van fails at getting Myers and after the draft wooof they are in a win now mode and somehow in thier crazy minds think Ziatsev can help
VAN
  1. Zaitsev, Nikita
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Miller, Colin
Additional Details:
Is Miller worth More? In a bubble yes. But its weird TOR and NSH set the $$ for Cap space at the draft. Removing 6.25M cap for a 1st. Leafs had to overpay to make that happen. Subban trade was highway robbery, why, NSH had to reduce thier price to get 9mil off the books. Cap has value. Miller is useful so I would put him in between both deals I listed above. But Vegas has NO cap space. They are over, especially after signing Karlsson. So Millers price drops so you can save ~4Mil.
VGK
  1. Marchment, Mason
  2. 2021 3rd round pick (TOR)
Additional Details:
Vegas gets a AHLer who is knocking on the door of the NHL. Who they can Bury without waivers. Good cheap depth late this year or next who plays with an edge and a pick to SAVE ~4mil of Cap over 3 years.
TOR
  1. Rattie, Ty [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Reports Oilers will not sign Rattie. Capfriendly wont get me jsut sign him, so this "trade" was needed
EDM
    Leafs sign him for league min, 1 year. Basically this years Tyler Ennis. 4th line, get him back on his feet.
    Retained Salary Transactions
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the EDM
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the CAR
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the STL
    Logo of the WPG
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the TOR
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$81,209,699$0$0$290,301

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $3,400,000$3,400,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $11,634,000$11,634,000
    C
    UFA - 5
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    RW, LW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $11,000,000$11,000,000
    C, LW
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $9,250,000$9,250,000
    RW
    UFA - 6
    $3,200,000$3,200,000
    RW
    UFA - 3
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 3
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    RW
    UFA
    $700,000$700,000
    RW, LW
    UFA
    $675,000$675,000
    C
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 3
    Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
    $3,875,000$3,875,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $5,000,000$5,000,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $863,333$863,333
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $750,000$750,000
    LD
    UFA - 2
    Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
    $2,325,000$2,325,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $675,000$675,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 1
    $775,000$775,000
    C, LW, RW
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:18 a.m.
    As a buffalo fan I agree with the jp trade 100% accurate and good value from your side, however the miller trade is unlikely because another team will definitely give more for him. Other than that, nice job man, great detail.
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:20 a.m.
    If Van misses out on Myers why trade a dman for a dman?? They still need a dman.

If Van misses out on Myers why not trade a non prospect and a 2021 3rd for Miller?? Then they also keep Stecher...
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:28 a.m.
    Brewmaster
    Quoting: Notphilhousley
    As a buffalo fan I agree with the jp trade 100% accurate and good value from your side, however the miller trade is unlikely because another team will definitely give more for him. Other than that, nice job man, great detail.

Thanks. It is hard to judge miller trade with the new mystical value of cap space. But i think what he costs is now lower than a week ago, and that is specifically because of the Subban and Marleau trades. But if it costs a little more so be it. Vegas needs the cap space though so we shall see
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:29 a.m.
    Brewmaster
    Quoting: Riley816
    If Van misses out on Myers why trade a dman for a dman?? They still need a dman.

If Van misses out on Myers why not trade a non prospect and a 2021 3rd for Miller?? Then they also keep Stecher...

Oh I agree.. if Vancouver was smart they should do that. They just traded a 1st to Tampa for Miller.... they have no sense of reality and value. Expecting them to make the smart move is a tall, tall ask.
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:32 a.m.
    Quoting: Chiller
    Oh I agree.. if Vancouver was smart they should do that. They just traded a 1st to Tampa for Miller.... they have no sense of reality and value. Expecting them to make the smart move is a tall, tall ask.

Carolina just made the most ridiculous trade, not ROR horrific, of the off season. Maybe Pesce can be had....
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:36 a.m.
    If that's all the Leafs are willing to pay Marner he won't agree to a long term deal then. It's going to be a 3 to 5 year deal. No way is Marner taking a long term at $9.25M x 7.

Skinner just got $9M at 8 years and Marner is clearly a better player at 4 years younger. Panarin should be a closer comparable and if the shoe drops on a contract for Panarin around $10.5M to $11.5M, then you can bet Marner is going to come very close to that or sign a short term deal with the Leafs.
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:37 a.m.
    Brewmaster
    Carolina just made the most ridiculous trade, not ROR horrific, of the off season. Maybe Pesce can be had....

What trade did the make that was terrible? They did a few tradings down at the draft. Got Marleau who they will buy out and have the room for if not, for a 1st. good job. Then Nino Niederreiter and Adam Fox trades a few months back?
    ChiHawk liked this.
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:40 a.m.
    Brewmaster
    Quoting: ChiHawk
    If that's all the Leafs are willing to pay Marner he won't agree to a long term deal then. It's going to be a 3 to 5 year deal. No way is Marner taking a long term at $9.25M x 7.

Skinner just got $9M at 8 years and Marner is clearly a better player at 4 years younger. Panarin should be a closer comparable and if the shoe drops on a contract for Panarin around $10.5M to $11.5M, then you can bet Marner is going to come very close to that or sign a short term deal with the Leafs.

If Marner was a UFA i would agree. But he isnt. UFAs get more money because they can choose their fate. they have 100% control over their career. Marner is a 1st round RFA. No negotiation rights in his first contract. Cannot escape the team except for an offer sheet. Its not fair, but RFA market value for 1st time contract, vs RFA 2nd+ contract vs UFA contract are all different and not very comparable. Value based on history and precedent say RFAs make less than UFAs of comparable skill
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:47 a.m.
    If Marner was a UFA i would agree. But he isnt. UFAs get more money because they can choose their fate. they have 100% control over their career. Marner is a 1st round RFA. No negotiation rights in his first contract. Cannot escape the team except for an offer sheet. Its not fair, but RFA market value for 1st time contract, vs RFA 2nd+ contract vs UFA contract are all different and not very comparable. Value based on history and precedent say RFAs make less than UFAs of comparable skill

While you are right in RFA vs. UFA values not being equal, that doesn't equate to massive discounts....discounts sure but not massive ones. If Panarin were to sign for $11M as an example tomorrow, you can bet Marner is going to hold out for every bit of $10M...that's the discount.

Regardless, Marner has options and the most glaring one is not accepting a long term deal. It was reported today he and his agent are no longer interested in a long term deal which of course is 100% due to the Leafs not offering the money they want and being definitive with them on it. So that said, Leafs are going to have to agree to a short term deal because there are teams that would offer sheet him at $10.5M x 5 years (2) 1sts, (1) 2nd, and (1) 3rd, and the Leafs will then match is my guess...they'd be crazy not to. So when you say there is no negotiation rights, Marner and his agent absolutely have negotiating tools and as reported, will start talking to other teams on Wednesday to explore offer sheets.

The counter the Leafs could do is say we are matching (xyz) teams offer or you can trade us for his RFA rights. If it got to that point of an offer sheet forcing the hand, this is the more likely outcome as offer sheets are rarely done...GM's talk to each other too.
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:52 a.m.
    While you are right in RFA vs. UFA values not being equal, that doesn't equate to massive discounts....discounts sure but not massive ones. If Panarin were to sign for $11M as an example tomorrow, you can bet Marner is going to hold out for every bit of $10M...that's the discount.

Regardless, Marner has options and the most glaring one is not accepting a long term deal. It was reported today he and his agent are no longer interested in a long term deal which of course is 100% due to the Leafs not offering the money they want and being definitive with them on it. So that said, Leafs are going to have to agree to a short term deal because there are teams that would offer sheet him at $10.5M x 5 years (2) 1sts, (1) 2nd, and (1) 3rd, and the Leafs will then match is my guess...they'd be crazy not to. So when you say there is no negotiation rights, Marner and his agent absolutely have negotiating tools and as reported, will start talking to other teams on Wednesday to explore offer sheets.

The counter the Leafs could do is say we are matching (xyz) teams offer or you can trade us for his RFA rights. If it got to that point of an offer sheet forcing the hand, this is the more likely outcome as offer sheets are rarely done...GM's talk to each other too.

If he really wants to be in Toronto as he says then there isn’t an offer sheet to match and he continues to negotiate with the leafs. If he signs an offer sheet just shows he didn’t really want to be there in the first place.
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:52 a.m.

If you are talking about for Marleau, that was a very smart move by Carolina.
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:55 a.m.
    Quoting: TyFrench17
    If he really wants to be in Toronto as he says then there isn’t an offer sheet to match and he continues to negotiate with the leafs. If he signs an offer sheet just shows he didn’t really want to be there in the first place.

It's already leaked today his agent and him are meeting with other teams on Wednesday. Leafs obviously aren't stepping up to the plate on money or term so he's prepared to force their hand. Highly doubt an offer sheet happens, those are rare because GM's and players all talk, but it's in the least a negotiating tactic they are using. The entire reason for the offer sheets as part of the CBA is so teams who own a players rights don't severely under compensate a player or lock them up for long term on cheap deals...it's their to protect the player and potentially harm the team.
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 12:23 p.m.
    Brewmaster

Its a dick move by the player, aka marner. Him and his camp have played this little bull**** game for months and its getting enough. I am not even talking about a discount. I am talking about fair value. Marner wants matthews money because he has to prove he has the biggest dick on the team and the most money supports that. 10Mx8 as reported today is hella fair on both sides. Oh you want a shorter term deal, well every year less should reduce the fee by 500K. More if it takes him right to being a UFA. Those are facts, and yes if marner disagrees that is his right, but he looks like a greedy moron.

Also, if your Marner... why. You are the local boy, fan favourite, loved by everyone and now you are inssecure you arent the Best player on the team and are trying to compensate for that. Most of it is rumors but with the reports and his agent and dad saying things. Thats his team and if he allows them to say it, he approves it. This cant be about money, can it? Every endorcement, every side deal he has done, every commercial he is making more money on those than any AAV the leafs can offer. He wins a cup here, even after he retires or moves teams he will be the new Wendle Clarke making millions a year on advertisements. If he is offended he isnt the face of the franchise, too bad, you can be the most liked player of all time, well could have. Now i think even if he signs this will leave a sour taste in peoples mouths
    Jun. 24, 2019 at 1:51 p.m.
    Its a dick move by the player, aka marner. Him and his camp have played this little bull**** game for months and its getting enough. I am not even talking about a discount. I am talking about fair value. Marner wants matthews money because he has to prove he has the biggest dick on the team and the most money supports that. 10Mx8 as reported today is hella fair on both sides. Oh you want a shorter term deal, well every year less should reduce the fee by 500K. More if it takes him right to being a UFA. Those are facts, and yes if marner disagrees that is his right, but he looks like a greedy moron.

Also, if your Marner... why. You are the local boy, fan favourite, loved by everyone and now you are inssecure you arent the Best player on the team and are trying to compensate for that. Most of it is rumors but with the reports and his agent and dad saying things. Thats his team and if he allows them to say it, he approves it. This cant be about money, can it? Every endorcement, every side deal he has done, every commercial he is making more money on those than any AAV the leafs can offer. He wins a cup here, even after he retires or moves teams he will be the new Wendle Clarke making millions a year on advertisements. If he is offended he isnt the face of the franchise, too bad, you can be the most liked player of all time, well could have. Now i think even if he signs this will leave a sour taste in peoples mouths

It's a business, this isn't personal and emotional and shouldn't be. Any professional athlete spends their entire young life preparing for what is usually a short career and then in the 30's have to start life again finding a new career or something to do...most of us will never relate to that feeling but can tell you first hand it is a very tough transition when you've been told for 20 years...just focus on hockey, don't worry about school, friends or anything else. Players financially should make the most of it as their are way too many stories of players short changing themselves and then having a career ending injury. The fans fault the players and frankly that is the wrong person to fault. The fans should fault the ownership...the ownership makes a ton of money prior to each Marner like player and will make a ton money long after each player is done. It's their jobs to manage the situation, and just like what went wrong with Nylander last season, we're seeing it again with Marner. There are patterns with the Leafs management so if any of the fans decide to get emotional, the last person is the player, they should be pointing to the Leafs management given how recently we saw this movie play out with Nylander after they award Matthews one of the largest contracts in the NHL and award Tavares.

All this BS about sponsorships and such is not a unique thing to Toronto. Hockey players don't make anywhere close to what people think for endorsements/commercials. It can be a few million a year max; nowhere near what Basketball or Football players make (they can actually make more on endorsements then their salaries) so it's not as much of a priority as their salaries are for hockey players. Furthermore, Marner can go to any big market team in the US and get the same level of endorsements and sponsorships. Yes, Toronto is up there with the big market teams for endorsements in the NHL but they are not alone or unique. A few of the highest paid players for endorsements are Toews in Chicago...also Crosby and Ovy are up in the top 5 as well. Again, not a unique thing to Toronto.

Fans get emotional over these situations and understandable because it's not our careers and not our money on the table. However, there is nothing wrong with a player trying to maximize his pay in the small window they have to do so. Marner should use all the tools he has to force the Leafs hand. He can easily go to a team like Colorado who has cap space and frankly is in just as good as a position if not better to win a cup in the next 5 years as Toronto.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll