2019 Opening Night

Created by: Drake8
Team: 2019-20 Detroit Red Wings
Initial Creation Date: Jun. 25, 2019
Published: Jun. 25, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
*Incorporated signings made on 7/1*

This would be my ideal opening night roster. Please feel free to critique the trades, would love to get some constructive criticism to make it as realistic as possible.

Changes Explained...
Kronwall- Retires
Witkowski- Signed with Tampa Bay
Vanek- Not Re-Signed
Sadowy- Not Re-Signed
Frk- Signed with LA
Axel Holmstrom- Already signed in SHL
Sulak- Already signed in KHL
Rybar- Already signed in SM-Ligga

Vegas Trade- Gusev is a luxury that Vegas simply can not afford. Already right against the cap, there does not seem to be room for another four million dollar player. The Athletic reported that he could be had for a second and either another pick or a low-tier prospect. Vegas gets the second and another pick and Smith from Detroit to make sure the deal gets done. In return Detroit gets Gusev, a potential gamebreaker even though unproven at the NHL level. Why do both teams do it? Vegas frees cap space and keeps the core of their team together. Gusev never played a game there, so he might be a little easier to give up than someone who they know fits in their system. For Detroit, Gusev's KHL numbers speak for themselves and if any team can afford to take a risk, it is the Wings.

I am assuming that Green starts the year on Injured Reserve, not really sure of the severity of his issues?

Please feel free to comment and let me know where to add/subtract in the trades or what you think of the UFA/RFA decisions. This team seems to be in a good spot with 10 million in space and Ericsson, Daley, Franzen and Howard all coming off the books at seasons end or potentially being traded at the deadline.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
3$925,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
2$700,000
1$1,050,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$700,000
2$3,000,000
2$3,000,000
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the DET
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the VGK
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
Logo of the DET
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$64,430,833$145,000$2,265,000$17,069,167
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$1,400,000$1,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$6,100,000$6,100,000
C
UFA - 4
$3,300,000$3,300,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
C, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$1,050,000$1,050,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,850,000$3,850,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$1,800,000$1,800,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
NTC
UFA - 3
$2,687,500$2,687,500
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,100,000$1M)
G
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$714,166$714,166 (Performance Bonus$182,500$182K)
RD
RFA - 2
$3,000,000$3,000,000
G
UFA - 2
$3,166,666$3,166,666
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$6,083,333$6,083,333
C
UFA - 2
$759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
C, LW
UFA - 1
$3,954,545$3,954,545
RW, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jun. 26, 2019 at 8:12 a.m.
DMCW19
Nice work. I would be ecstatic if these trades happened. I think the Vegas situation might take more, prospect on way back or something.

The Fleury one I also took a run at in a previous GM'd team as well. I think it would be a great fit, however, the de Hahn gone, I think Fleury is staying put. He also was just offered a deal yesterday which I would assume he signs.

I do like the trend wings are moving too. Big and skilled D, can't have too many, if a few pan out and you feel it's a position of depth they always return high value.

Cheers
Jun. 26, 2019 at 8:49 a.m.
Drake823
Thanks for the comment! I was really hoping to get some back and forth and build a realistic roster.

Regarding Vegas Trade- That's fair, I posted this idea somewhere else and they too thought the value was too low. However, they were insistent on getting full market value in a package for those three players and while they do all still contribute (unlike most guys moved for cap reasoning), the fact that every single team knows Vegas is around 8-9 million over the cap and MUST make moves does not strengthen their bargaining position. Originally I offered a 2nd and 5th, but what do you think about a 2nd, 4th and one of Hicketts, Smith or Kuffner? Two decent picks and a prospect with *some* potential but needs a change of scenery.

Regarding Carolina Trade- The de Haan move is a good point, forgot they traded him. However, the Canes are always one of those teams rumored to "need" offense. With Hamilton, Slavin, Faulk, Pesce, TVR, Forsling and Bean already on the team, I figured Fleury may need a change of scenery and would get a chance to compete for a spot here considering the age of our D core. Honestly, I think Svech could come back and have a great year, but to me he has been surpassed by many other players on the Wings organizational depth chart and as we saw at the draft, Yzerman is really valuing defense. Do you think this deal is valued fairly? Otherwise I suppose Saarijarvi could be included in the Vegas deal.

I also like where they're headed. If Larsson turns out to be the goalie of the future I think that we are a lot better off than most people think. Especially, with a ton of Holland bloated contracts coming off the books in the next couple years. Yzerman is fixing the defensive side of the puck, I just would like us to pick up one more big offensive piece (Gusev). Obviously Larkin, AA and Mantha are offensive but I think none of them offer the pure offensive creativeness that Gusev possesses and that could add a new element to the team.
Jun. 26, 2019 at 9:20 a.m.
I agree that the value is probably off in the Vegas deal. Yes they need to move out players but teams will give in when they miss out on free agents and send some value back to vegas, especially since all three of those guys are roster players.

With the Carolina deal, I am not sure they would trade Fleury right now. I was under the impression that they moved DeHaan to make room for Fleury and they will likelt be moving Faulk this year or will lose him to free agency next year. It feels like he has been in trade rumours for years. Also I am not to sure I want to give up on Svech just yet. He played great his first year in GR then had a down year then was hurt. Could still develop into the Gusev type player your looking for.
Jun. 26, 2019 at 9:41 a.m.
Drake823
Quoting: rednwhite
I agree that the value is probably off in the Vegas deal. Yes they need to move out players but teams will give in when they miss out on free agents and send some value back to vegas, especially since all three of those guys are roster players.

With the Carolina deal, I am not sure they would trade Fleury right now. I was under the impression that they moved DeHaan to make room for Fleury and they will likelt be moving Faulk this year or will lose him to free agency next year. It feels like he has been in trade rumours for years. Also I am not to sure I want to give up on Svech just yet. He played great his first year in GR then had a down year then was hurt. Could still develop into the Gusev type player your looking for.

All fair points!

I agree that teams will give in if the strike out in free agency, I mean the 2010-2016 Red Wings made all sorts of crazy moves just to try and stay in contention. What type of value do you think would have to go back to Vegas in order for them to accept? I still think it would obviously be a little less than market value given the fact that it would mean taking on almost eight million dollars. If the Carolina move is something that does not happen, maybe something like 2 picks and Svech to Vegas instead...

That is fair to assume they would want to hold on to Fleury. The main reason I liked that deal was because to me, it seems by next season Bean may have surpassed Fleury in their organization. Similar draft position and a better season production wise in the AHL. I agree that Svech is not completely a lost cause yet but at this point, Larkin, AA, Bertuzzi, Mantha and possibly Hirose fill a role similar to his so that's why I felt he could be moved. Obviously it is still early in his career but I am just not sure I see an offensive upside high enough to 100% find a spot in the top 6. Especially if we did end up finding a way to get someone like Gusev. Figured that each player may get to jump up a few spots on the depth chart in their new organization and get a chance they might not have gotten otherwise. However, if Faulk is moved, you're right I do think that effectively kills any chance of Fleury moving.
Jun. 26, 2019 at 10:21 a.m.
Drake823
After looking over the responses I have gotten, I am changing the offer to send a little more value back to Vegas.

Originally I only offered a 2nd and 6th
I have changed the offer to include a 2nd, 4th and Joe Hicketts

Vegas gets a better pick and a cheap, fringe defenseman that could step in and play some games next year. He could be exchanged for someone like Kuffner or Smith if Vegas prefers a forward. I would also be willing to make Svechnikov the prospect included in a deal to Vegas if Carolina is not willing to make the Fleury trade.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll