SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Trades

(OTT/TOR) - Ceci, Harpur, Luchuk and 2020 3rd round pick for Zaitsev, Brown, Carcone

Who won the trade?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:54 a.m.
Quoting: Claesson4Norris
After like 1.5mil or something, QO is just %100 of the last contract. QO is 4.3

Yeah I made a mistake. It's still not a good number
Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:54 a.m.
Quoting: Random2152
He did come home though!tears of joy tears of joy tears of joy

Really climbing my **** list today huff
Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:57 a.m.
Follow capfriendly
Quoting: TraderJoes
Great question: if the Leafs refuse to sign after the arbitration hearing doesn't he just become a UFA? Then this whole thing is a cap dump by Dubas. Maybe the mods could shed some light? @Banks @CapFriendly

And Happy Canada Day!

Walk away requirements specified here: capfriendly.com/arbitration
Jul. 1, 2019 at 9:47 a.m.
I don't mean to pile on but I'm just gonna say it. Pierre Dorion is one of the worst, if not worst GM's in the league if he thinks this was a good move to make for his team.
Brian2016 and Random2152 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:04 a.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
They got a non-starter defensemen in Harpur and Ceci who is just as bad as Zaitsev. It pretty much equals Brown for a 3rd round pick.

If Dubas can sign Ceci to a decent contract, I would say Toronto wins, but it's close either way

Basically, it seems as if Dubas is simply trying to correct many of the bad moves made by Lou when he was GM. The first step of management: Blame everything on your predecessor.
HabsForEver liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:06 a.m.
Quoting: F50marco
I don't mean to pile on but I'm just gonna say it. Pierre Dorion is one of the worst, if not worst GM's in the league if he thinks this was a good move to make for his team.

I'm also tired of everyone always blaming Melnyk for all of Dorion's terrible moves. There's plenty of blame to go around in OTT. They're clearly one of the worst run organizations in sports.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:23 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Okay, so Ottawa takes more cap now, gives up a pick, and takes 5 years of Zaitsev over 1 year of Ceci.

Toronto gets more cap space now and in the future, and gets a pick? I don't see why Ottawa would do that unless they value Zaitsev higher than Ceci (I think they're pretty even).

For the most part, Toronto wins this trade. The only problem I see is that they're only saving 1.9M in cap space with this deal. They could have moved Zaitsev and saved the whole contract (though they would've needed to pay to move his contract), but they now haven't gotten much cap space from this deal.

I am confused about this from Ottawa's side though. I guess they're not going to "spend close to the cap in 3 or 4 years." Maybe more like 5 years.
YvanF liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:24 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: F50marco

I mean, he's an NHL GM, so he has a good idea what he's doing. That's the weird part. Usually NHL GMs don't make these kinds of deals. I really don't think it's one person's fault, but something's wrong with their management.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:26 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Brian2016
I'm also tired of everyone always blaming Melnyk for all of Dorion's terrible moves. There's plenty of blame to go around in OTT. They're clearly one of the worst run organizations in sports.

I wouldn't say it's all Dorion. The management isn't very good there, though, and Dorion is a big part of the management. It's not just the management though. It's more than that; the team isn't very good, so much weird stuff going on, etc. What's wrong with this team?
Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:29 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Banks
Walk away requirements specified here: capfriendly.com/arbitration

Interesting. Learned something new in the CBA.

Didn't he already sign though? (Not officially, but i thought they agreed to a contract?)
Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:40 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Interesting. Learned something new in the CBA.

Didn't he already sign though? (Not officially, but i thought they agreed to a contract?)

He verbally agreed to a 1 year 4.5 Million with the Leafs
Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:45 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
He verbally agreed to a 1 year 4.5 Million with the Leafs

So they won't need to go to arbitration then.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:46 a.m.
So they won't need to go to arbitration then.

Nope
Jul. 1, 2019 at 11:01 a.m.
AwesomeMatthews
I don't think either team wins this trade.

Ottawa gets an overpaid serviceable defensemen and Connor Brown for a terrible 5th defensemen and a 3rd round pick. I guess it comes down to what Ceci signs in Toronto for.

I love this for the Leafs, Ceci adds physicality that they were lacking, harpur is a decent 3rd pair d man who can be sent down if he doesn't work out, they get a pick in a decent draft and the Marlies lack center depth so Luchuk will improve them significantly
Jul. 1, 2019 at 11:04 a.m.
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
I love this for the Leafs, Ceci adds physicality that they were lacking, harpur is a decent 3rd pair d man who can be sent down if he doesn't work out, they get a pick in a decent draft and the Marlies lack center depth so Luchuk will improve them significantly

Ceci is at best a #5 defensemen on a stanley cup contender. Harpur doesn't make the team. Luchuk is at best a bottom 6 AHL forward.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 11:06 a.m.
AwesomeMatthews
Ceci is at best a #5 defensemen on a stanley cup contender. Harpur doesn't make the team. Luchuk is at best a bottom 6 AHL forward.

Ceci to me is a good 2nd pair harpur is a healthy scratch and Luchuk improves the Marlies significantly
Jul. 1, 2019 at 11:10 a.m.
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
Ceci to me is a good 2nd pair harpur is a healthy scratch and Luchuk improves the Marlies significantly

You're going to be severely disappointed in Ceci. He wasn't a good top 4 defensemen on Ottawa, he sure as hell won't be on Toronto. He's a good #5 defensemen if your top 4 is stacked. High Chance Luchuk spends the season in NFL
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:43 p.m.
I wouldn't say it's all Dorion. The management isn't very good there, though, and Dorion is a big part of the management. It's not just the management though. It's more than that; the team isn't very good, so much weird stuff going on, etc. What's wrong with this team?

They're terrible from the top down and they have been for years and will continue to be bad for years to come.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
Majors and minors
when was the last time Tor made the 2nd round? Ott took the dregs ... the bottom of the coffee pot. you couldn't order a new, u took tor's leftovers.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 1:20 p.m.
Majors and minors
watch out that these 2 d men don't eat up too much ice mins at the ****ing of their prospects.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 1:59 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Doesn't really matter if Ceci signs this year or not....Leafs have gained needed cap space. Even if Ceci signs for a year, Leafs get cap space next summer. IMO the Leafs would have better no to sign Ceci at all, let him go and resign Hainsey. But Leafs management went this way, hoping that Ceci is a good value this year and maybe the future,
Jul. 1, 2019 at 2:16 p.m.
Quoting: palhal
Doesn't really matter if Ceci signs this year or not....Leafs have gained needed cap space. Even if Ceci signs for a year, Leafs get cap space next summer. IMO the Leafs would have better no to sign Ceci at all, let him go and resign Hainsey. But Leafs management went this way, hoping that Ceci is a good value this year and maybe the future,

Luckily Hainsey is gone....
Jul. 1, 2019 at 2:23 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Quoting: Laudan
Luckily Hainsey is gone....

I've been a Hainsey supporter. He allowed Reilly to play recklessly. Hainsey and Zaitsev both worked big PK minutes. Besides Muzzin....no other Leaf Dman probably have had to play the PK as much.
But hey, would love to have Ceci be a dependable RHD. And from Ceci's POV....it's a real shot to play lots of minutes and be good and get a massive contract next year.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 3:53 p.m.
Majors and minors
it's a CRAPS deal
Jul. 1, 2019 at 6:17 p.m.
No i'm not. They were terrible defensively last year and are now down Gardiner, Hainsey, Zaitsev.

Sure you can say Sandin and Liljegren, but it's not certain they are ready.

Why don't their goals against support them being terribly defensively?

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit