SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

Pittsburgh Penguins signed Brandon Tanev (6 Years / $3,500,000 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 1, 2019 at 7:48 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Random2152
Big ****ing Oof!
WTH JR? How much drugs were you on?

Ever since Tom Wilson’s playoff incident. Gmjr has done nothing but try to find grit to match up against him and has failed. This is another example.
mhockey91 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 7:56 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
I like this deal for the penguins.
For 2 reasons. 1st is the cap hit. Which will run till he's 32-33. end of his career really. If you think this is a bad cap hit, you aren't paying attention. Because in 2 years you will see the cap get some serious bump when they do new TV contracts, and then they add the expansion team. Which means everyone is getting a raise by then. His cap hit will be pretty low at that point in time. So it's a building for the future move.

The 2nd reason is, it means JJ is on the way out. I don't think people looked at this move the right way. Say what you want about him. But he had 278 hits last year. The year before in 61 games he had 188. He's the physicality they are looking for on the ice. There is no doubt why they signed him. To play that game. Which will be one way they replace JJ when he's shipped off.

I hope it is JJ moving out. But I think it will more likely be Rust. He and Tanev are similar players, get similar stats, play similar styles, have the same cap number. Tanev is more physical, but Rust can move up the lineup better. But most importantly, the pens will be able to move him fairly easily and get a decent return for him. JJ is much harder to move and harder to replace. Not in terms of stats or what he contributes (or doesn't contribute) on the ice, but in terms of having NHL capable defenseman. Pens would then be relying on Rikkola and Ruhwedel as their 6th and 7th guys. That is pretty weak depth.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 7:57 p.m.
Quoting: capsin9
Ever since Tom Wilson’s playoff incident. Gmjr has done nothing but try to find grit to match up against him and has failed. This is another example.

He traded for Reaves before that incident. Your point makes no sense.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DonkeyLips
He traded for Reaves before that incident. Your point makes no sense.

My point makes no sense ? I wasn’t talking about reeves but that’s also a grit move that he made that makes zero sense. If anything that adds to my point. Got Grudbranson terrible contract. Call out Tom for not fighting ole. Then Wilson murders him. Haha gmjr traded him after that.hah signing this guy for 6! Years. Wilson lives rent free in the burgh
Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:12 p.m.
My point makes no sense ? I wasn’t talking about reeves but that’s also a grit move that he made that makes zero sense. If anything that adds to my point. Got Grudbranson terrible contract. Call out Tom for not fighting ole. Then Wilson murders him. Haha gmjr traded him after that.hah signing this guy for 6! Years. Wilson lives rent free in the burgh

All of that rambling made no sense as well.
gregb569 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:17 p.m.
Lul
Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:21 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: DonkeyLips
All of that rambling made no sense as well.

Comprehension is hard.... I don’t have time to explain it to you in a way you’d understand. Unfortunately I can only use text to explain and not a puppet show or an illustrated cartoon with animals to better explain
Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:31 p.m.
Banned

another washington fan who thinks the world revolves around the caps.

This has nothing to do with washington. They were out muscled out the playoffs this year. They need to be able to match that level of intensity.
Has 0 to do with with washington. Just like signing Gudbranson had 0 to do with washington and everything to do with the games against the Sharks and then Philly and teams targeting their star players.

If there is one team that lives in another teams fan bases heads, it's the penguins living in the caps head. Of course when we win 3 cups going right through you, It's why when we meet in the playoffs you hold your breath and penguins get ready to lift another cup.
DonkeyLips liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:32 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: pharrow
another washington fan who thinks the world revolves around the caps.

This has nothing to do with washington. They were out muscled out the playoffs this year. They need to be able to match that level of intensity.
Has 0 to do with with washington. Just like signing Gudbranson had 0 to do with washington and everything to do with the games against the Sharks and then Philly and teams targeting their star players.

If there is one team that lives in another teams fan bases heads, it's the penguins living in the caps head. Of course when we win 3 cups going right through you, It's why when we meet in the playoffs you hold your breath and penguins get ready to lift another cup.

Oh you guys won in 2018? smile
Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:37 p.m.
Banned
Oh you guys won in 2018? smile

3/4 is much better than your 1/4

But you know, you got to clutch onto the bones you can.

Honestly, no one over the course of history would tell you the caps are the better team. No one. One look at the names on the Cup prove it all.
Jul. 2, 2019 at 11:16 a.m.
Edited Jul. 4, 2019 at 1:33 a.m.

Brandon Tanev is 27 with 51 CAREER points .... This man just picked up almost $500,000 per CAREER point .... This man BALLS HARD.

If this type of math was used on high scoring 27 year olds .... we'd be seeing tons of $200,000,000 - $300,000,000 contracts ....

And yes I'm aware .... Tanev has intangible value as a hardworking grinder .... But what happens to unskilled grinders past the age of 27 ???

They fall off a mother f***** cliff .... Tanev's speed / health isn't gonna last forever .... and it most definitely will be gone before he's 34.

I thought this team was cap-strapped Rutherford? ... You just traded an 85 point player to save $1,300,000 in cap-space for a year?

r/woooooooooooooooooosh
jasondomitrovic, TheWolfe, mhockey91 and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 3, 2019 at 5:21 p.m.
ive lost all faith in GMJR. time for Mario to step in and fire him. no more blind loyalty based on previous success. this man is DESTROYING the team he helped assemble
Jul. 3, 2019 at 7:37 p.m.
Originally I thought this was the Defenseman when saw the name smile... Then when looked it up I just don't think its a good move or signing/term/cap anything really... He seems slated to be on their bottom 2 lines not the top ones in charts I've glanced... I'm not a Penguins fan so really not losing sleep over this one way or another wink.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit