SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL Signings

New York Rangers signed Artemi Panarin (7 Years / $11,642,857 AAV)

Was this a good signing?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:37 p.m.
Quoting: HabsForEver
Crazy money. NYR is going to be in Cap hell in 2-3 years. I wish them luck

How will they be in cap hell in 2 years when they have 25.2M coming off the books? They will be fine.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:38 p.m.
Bread man gets paid
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:38 p.m.
Quite the rebuild from the Rangers
Sid liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:40 p.m.
Auston Matthews is officially under paid now thanks to this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:40 p.m.
Took a million less to not play in Brooklyn. Good start Artemi.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:44 p.m.
What in tarnation
That's going to be either the greatest or the worst deal in a loooooong time. There's no in-between now.
TheWolfe and capsfan2121 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
NoCupsForCanada
Quoting: BurgerBoss
That's going to be either the greatest or the worst deal in a loooooong time. There's no in-between now.

I feel like this is one of those deals where we're not going be able to judge if its a good signing until 2-3 years from now
justaBoss, Sid and capsfan2121 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:47 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: TheWolfe
I feel like this is one of those deals where we're not going be able to judge if its a good signing until 2-3 years from now

True.
Sid liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:52 p.m.
Quoting: AwesomeMatthews
Over payment but still a great signing and makes the Rangers a playoff team right away

Let's not get carried away here. They still need Lundqvist to bounce back big time. Also, PIT, WASH, and CAR will all remain formidable in the Metro and the Devils have also greatly improved this summer. They certainly could make the playoffs, but it's gonna be a great challenge.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:54 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Random2152
Yes.
Made up a conspiracy theory about JT, threw things at him, have been cancerous all over (both live and online) etc.
You've been fine from what I've seen so don't take it personally.

I don't like what the fans did to Tavares, but they had every right to do that, just just JT had every right to leave. I don't like either decision though.
Quoting: BroadwayBlueshirts
Took a million less to not play in Brooklyn. Good start Artemi.

Now they need to dump Shattenkirk and sign Trouba and Buch
Marner should be making $13M now
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:55 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I don't like what the fans did to Tavares, but they had every right to do that, just just JT had every right to leave. I don't like either decision though.

You don't have the right to throw things at people.
And the other things are on differing levels. One guy left a place who were wasting him for his home town.
The other berated him and have been absolutely cancerous to everyone both player and fans online and in person. They are not comparable.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:58 p.m.

The blame belongs to Snow. He could have traded him for a monster return. The biggest deadline return in history. They were already out of playoff contention at the time. At least they made the playoffs w/ Lee. You can't fault CBJ either. They had no other good option but to go all in w/ Panarin and co.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 12:58 p.m.
At least he didn't actually get 12 million a year like he wanted?
Jul. 1, 2019 at 1:00 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
You don't have the right to throw things at people.
And the other things are on differing levels. One guy left a place who were wasting him for his home town.
The other berated him and have been absolutely cancerous to everyone both player and fans online and in person. They are not comparable.

I'm talking about the booing and stuff like that.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 1:01 p.m.
Just Keep Swimming
I'm talking about the booing and stuff like that.

Yes, but you can't ignore the other stuff when so many were involved
Jul. 1, 2019 at 1:03 p.m.
It means Kreids and/or Vlad is out, if Rangers wants to sign Trouba and other Rfa's.
8.7mln for Jacob, Buch, TdA, Lemieux... not to much
Jul. 1, 2019 at 1:20 p.m.
That's a definite over payment.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 1:26 p.m.
Quoting: Brian2016
Now they need to dump Shattenkirk and sign Trouba and Buch

I'm more for dumping Smith but whatever it takes.
Brian2016 liked this.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 1:31 p.m.
Quoting: BroadwayBlueshirts
I'm more for dumping Smith but whatever it takes.

Oh him too!
Jul. 1, 2019 at 2:07 p.m.
I'm a Skatman
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
That's a definite over payment.

Panarin definitely left money on the table - his cap hit would have been considerably higher if he had accepted CBJs offer, so this is far from an overpayment from this perspective. comparing him to Matthews is also nonsense, since you're buying 100% UFA years with Panarin. big UFAs cost money, they will cost more money every year, and it's WAY better to spend this money on first line talent in it's prime than on 2 aging veterans you could get for the same money.

the Rangers cap situation may look concerning, but it's not as bad as it looks like - this year is the only year in which the Girardi buyout costs 3,6M instead of 1,1M. Smith and Beleskey will probably be buried in the AHL and Namestnikov is getting traded imo - his contract is not an anchor and he is still a useful player, but it's hard to justify the cap hit. he's good enough to be tradeable with a return rather than a sweetener. Staal and Lundqvist will come off the books before the young players stepping up will require big deals themselves.

this season, the Rangers might not be contenders yet. when everyone grows into their supposed role on the team, this team looks DANGEROUS. give it one or two years - until then, I hope there won't be immediate panic among the fans if it doesn't pan out as they might expect due to the hype of the past weeks.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 2:08 p.m.
Quoting: Barathrum_Obama
Panarin definitely left money on the table - his cap hit would have been considerably higher if he had accepted CBJs offer, so this is far from an overpayment from this perspective. comparing him to Matthews is also nonsense, since you're buying 100% UFA years with Panarin. big UFAs cost money, they will cost more money every year, and it's WAY better to spend this money on first line talent in it's prime than on 2 aging veterans you could get for the same money.

the Rangers cap situation may look concerning, but it's not as bad as it looks like - this year is the only year in which the Girardi buyout costs 3,6M instead of 1,1M. Smith and Beleskey will probably be buried in the AHL and Namestnikov is getting traded imo - his contract is not an anchor and he is still a useful player, but it's hard to justify the cap hit. he's good enough to be tradeable with a return rather than a sweetener. Staal and Lundqvist will come off the books before the young players stepping up will require big deals themselves.

this season, the Rangers might not be contenders yet. when everyone grows into their supposed role on the team, this team looks DANGEROUS. give it one or two years - until then, I hope there won't be immediate panic among the fans if it doesn't pan out as they might expect due to the hype of the past weeks.

I'm not even comparing him to Matthews. I'm just say from a Skill perspective he isn't worth 11+M.
Jul. 1, 2019 at 7:45 p.m.
Its okay Isles fans. You didn't want such a disloyal player anyway. I mean Panarin, what a bum!

"It was all a dream"

Tavares
Panarin
Barzal
Nelson
Bailey
Anders
Eberle
Cizikas

Beauvilier (wasn't a bust)
Dal Colle (wasn't a bust)
Ho Sang (wasn't a bust)
Bellows (wasn't a bust)
Walstrom (wasn't busting)

"I used to read CapFriendly magazine"
"Salt-n-Pepa Heavy D on my hockey team"
- Biggie Smalls (on the NYI franchise)
Jul. 1, 2019 at 8:13 p.m.
Banned
Yes.
Made up a conspiracy theory about JT, threw things at him, have been cancerous all over (both live and online) etc.
You've been fine from what I've seen so don't take it personally.

honestly it's all about passion isn't it.
People love to rip on the philly fan base, but really, it's all in good fun.
And then there are the people in cleveland who will throw batteries and snowballs at the opposing teams in the NFL.

The NYI fans are like kittens really.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit