trade time

Created by: pharrow
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 1, 2019
Published: Jul. 1, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
A trade has to be in the works.
Not announced yet, but you can bet it's already done. My guess is JJ is the one out the door and DeSmith is out too.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$2,000,000
2$750,000
2$1,200,000
Trades
PIT
    The penguins are 1.5 million over the cap currently. Something has to give. Expect the trade to be soon.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the PIT
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    22$81,500,000$75,782,500$132,500$2,850,000$5,717,500
    Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 5
    $8,700,000$8,700,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 6
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    LW, RW, C
    UFA - 1
    $4,900,000$4,900,000
    LW, C, RW
    UFA - 1
    $9,500,000$9,500,000
    C
    NMC
    UFA - 3
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 3
    $1,250,000$1,250,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $2,050,000$2,050,000
    C, RW
    UFA - 2
    $5,300,000$5,300,000
    RW
    NTC
    UFA - 4
    $1,200,000$1,200,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $750,000$750,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    $3,500,000$3,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $750,000$750,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $4,100,000$4,100,000
    LD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $7,250,000$7,250,000
    RD
    M-NTC, NMC
    UFA - 3
    $3,750,000$3,750,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $5,500,000$5,500,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 1
    $4,000,000$4,000,000
    RD
    UFA - 2
    $675,000$675,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    $850,000$850,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    RD
    UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:16 p.m.
    Fantasy Hockey Pro
    That Tanev deal is really bad. I'd be pretty upset with GMJR if I was a pens fan.
    GoPens08 liked this.
    Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:19 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: brady_t12
    That Tanev deal is really bad. I'd be pretty upset with GMJR if I was a pens fan.

no problem with it at all. There is serious inflation in salaries. That deal will be nothing in 2 years when the TV contract and an expansion team are entered into the league.
    Furthermore, he was brought in to hit people. Which he does well. That lets them shed a player like JJ, who was the teams leading hitter last year.
    I'd much rather have Tanev than JJ. which is what it equates to.
    Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:28 p.m.
    Fantasy Hockey Pro
    Quoting: pharrow
    no problem with it at all. There is serious inflation in salaries. That deal will be nothing in 2 years when the TV contract and an expansion team are entered into the league.
    Furthermore, he was brought in to hit people. Which he does well. That lets them shed a player like JJ, who was the teams leading hitter last year.

I don't want to come off as rude or snarky at all. But using Johnson's contract to justify the argument that Tanev's contract is okay really is a bad comparable. That Johnson contract was recognized to be awful the moment it was signed and has been proven to be awful all year by Johnson's lackluster play.

Paying a bottom 6 forward that has little offensive upside $21M over the course of 6(!!!) years isn't a smart move. The only good 6 year contract a bottom 6 forward has signed in recent memory off the top of my head was Calle Jarnkrok with the Preds 3 or 4 years ago, and that was $2M per and he plays center and was younger. Tanev isn't old by any means. But committing that money and term to a guy you don't see putting up 40+ points a year isn't the best idea. If it was a 1-2 year deal, then whatever. Not a bad deal. If it was a $2M AAV contract, also not a bad deal. But GMJR didn't need to pay that type of premium for Tanev.

The caps got Panik for 4 years at $2.75M and he's expected to produce a lot of offense. They got Hathaway (a guy who will likely be playing the same role as Tanev and potentially do it just as well) for $1.5M AAV for 4 years. This deal the pens just signed with Tanev may turn out to look just like the Johnson deal signed last year; not good at all.
    CharlieFoxtrot and GoPens08 liked this.
    Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:29 p.m.
    Team is worse. D sucks. G will not replace K's goals. Team is soft, slow and one injury to Malkin or Cindy from missing the playoffs. Boston, Caps, Isles all tougher to play against in playoffs. This looks like Chicago two years ago. Top heavy and bad D.
    CharlieFoxtrot liked this.
    Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:30 p.m.

Watching people try to talk themselves into thinking the Penguins are making acceptable moves is painful. The short term direction of the team is in absolute free fall.
    GoPens08 liked this.
    Jul. 1, 2019 at 10:53 p.m.
    Banned
    Quoting: KVS1
    Team is worse. D sucks. G will not replace K's goals. Team is soft, slow and one injury to Malkin or Cindy from missing the playoffs. Boston, Caps, Isles all tougher to play against in playoffs. This looks like Chicago two years ago. Top heavy and bad D.

every team is 1 star injury away from missing the playoffs. So that means very little.

I don't want to come off as rude or snarky at all. But using Johnson's contract to justify the argument that Tanev's contract is okay really is a bad comparable. That Johnson contract was recognized to be awful the moment it was signed and has been proven to be awful all year by Johnson's lackluster play.

Paying a bottom 6 forward that has little offensive upside $21M over the course of 6(!!!) years isn't a smart move. The only good 6 year contract a bottom 6 forward has signed in recent memory off the top of my head was Calle Jarnkrok with the Preds 3 or 4 years ago, and that was $2M per and he plays center and was younger. Tanev isn't old by any means. But committing that money and term to a guy you don't see putting up 40+ points a year isn't the best idea. If it was a 1-2 year deal, then whatever. Not a bad deal. If it was a $2M AAV contract, also not a bad deal. But GMJR didn't need to pay that type of premium for Tanev.

The caps got Panik for 4 years at $2.75M and he's expected to produce a lot of offense. They got Hathaway (a guy who will likely be playing the same role as Tanev and potentially do it just as well) for $1.5M AAV for 4 years. This deal the pens just signed with Tanev may turn out to look just like the Johnson deal signed last year; not good at all.

I think Tanev has more upside than both of those players. It's a difference between quality and quantity. Tanev has more upside to his game. Tanev has been in the league for 3 years and is coming into his own. He is trending upward improving every year as his opportunity grows. Panik has been in 7, he is what he is. Hathaway is not the player Tanev is. So that really isn't an equal comparison.

You look to much into what you want to see.
    Tanev was a talented player buried on a WPG team. He'll get more opportunity here.
    He also becomes the reason they feel comfortable moving JJ, and that's a win. No two ways about it.
    Jul. 1, 2019 at 11:03 p.m.
    Fantasy Hockey Pro
    I think Tanev has more upside than both of those players. It's a difference between quality and quantity. Tanev has more upside to his game. Tanev has been in the league for 3 years and is coming into his own. He is trending upward improving every year as his opportunity grows. Panik has been in 7, he is what he is. Hathaway is not the player Tanev is. So that really isn't an equal comparison.

You look to much into what you want to see.
    Tanev was a talented player buried on a WPG team. He'll get more opportunity here.
    He also becomes the reason they feel comfortable moving JJ, and that's a win. No two ways about it.

... do the pens need one terrible contract on their team at all times? Is that why they're comfortable moving Johnson?

There isn't really a way to spin that Tanev signing into being a good one. If he turns out to be an amazing two way forward who puts up 15 goals a year NOT playing with Crosby, it's a win. That's pretty unlikely. Otherwise, too much money, too much term. Not a good signing.

And Panik is better for less money. Hathaway will play a similar role to Tanev making less than half of what Tanev makes. It's not about "looking too much into what I want to see" (like what???), it's facts.
    GoPens08 liked this.
    Jul. 1, 2019 at 11:18 p.m.
    Banned
    ... do the pens need one terrible contract on their team at all times? Is that why they're comfortable moving Johnson?

There isn't really a way to spin that Tanev signing into being a good one. If he turns out to be an amazing two way forward who puts up 15 goals a year NOT playing with Crosby, it's a win. That's pretty unlikely. Otherwise, too much money, too much term. Not a good signing.

And Panik is better for less money. Hathaway will play a similar role to Tanev making less than half of what Tanev makes. It's not about "looking too much into what I want to see" (like what???), it's facts.

Hathaway will play 4th line if he plays at all for the caps.
    Tanev will probably gravitate to the 3rd line, and has a lot more upside than Panik.
    I don't know how you think Panik is better. 5 on 5 they scored the same amount of goals last year and Panik had a lot more opportunity. On top of it Tanev has 5 short handed goals in the last 2 years.
    He's a better all around player. You'll this year. He'll get more opportunity this year.
    Jul. 1, 2019 at 11:19 p.m.

You shouldn't worry about 4 or 5 years down the road for the pens. Their window is the next 3 years. Then it gets slammed shut with Malkin and Letang contracts expiring. After that nothing will really matter.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll