SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/Washington Capitals

Cap space needed (7/2/19)

Jul. 2, 2019 at 10:24 a.m.
The Caps have $4.285M space (As of 10am 7/2) with 12F, 6D 2G spots filled. They still need to resign Vrana and fill two additional spots (most likely 1F and 1D). If call-ups fill the 2 spots, say avg $800K each, that leaves $2.685M for Vrana and non-LTIR injury replacements.

This is where giving Hathaway $1.5M hurts a little. It would be nice to have filled that spot at $800K and have $700K more space. The Caps need to move out some cap (without bringing it back it).

D is to think to move Carlson or Orlov. I don't see them moving any of the C's. Eller is a good 3C, but can not move to 1 or 2 (looking at offense and overall play). There is also no one to take the reigns of 3C if Eller is moved, Dowd is not 3C. I don't think that they are willing to put their eggs into the Samsonov basket yet (no NHL games), so Holtby sticks around until at least the deadline (extension/no extension?).

So the only players left that would have enough salary to actually help are Oshie and Wilson. Oshie is at $5.75M until he is 38. His contract is situatied that over the remaining life it is only $4M less than the cap hit ($30.5M vs $34.5M) so that doesn't help "sell" it very much. Wilson's salary is even closer to cap hit.

Unless a "bigger" move is made with many pieces... I think Oshie is the one that could be on the way out, with the biggest piece coming back... cap space. Oshie's contract is not pretty but some teams could be looking for someone like him. Oshie for a couple picks/prospects is a possibility. (on his own) Probably not a 1st, probably not an A level prospect... but maybe a 2nd and a B-level, two 2nd's and a prospect... something in that region.

Hey, I was spot on with the Burakovsky stuff... sarcasm

Thoughts?
Jul. 2, 2019 at 9:51 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
We don't need to make a move.

https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1288700

A common misconception is that a team is required to carry a 23 man roster. That's not true. In fact, the Caps historically like to carry 22, as it gives them call up flexibility with the last spot when need be. While I don't like being that close to the ceiling, it's what's going to be necessary for this season.
Jul. 2, 2019 at 11:09 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: krakowitz

A common misconception is that a team is required to carry a 23 man roster. That's not true. In fact, the Caps historically like to carry 22, as it gives them call up flexibility with the last spot when need be. While I don't like being that close to the ceiling, it's what's going to be necessary for this season.

You say you don't need to make a move but you have 2 trades. unsure
Jul. 3, 2019 at 2:31 a.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
You say you don't need to make a move but you have 2 trades. unsure

If Stephenson comes back, either him or Boyd are going to get waived. We could just resign him and send him through waivers, so why not turn him into a draft pick? And Priskie isn't signing with us and Carolina likes him. That move has no effect on the current roster.
Jul. 3, 2019 at 8:53 a.m.
Quoting: krakowitz

That AGM doesn't work at all in reality. You have a 22 man roster and $85K under the cap. If you have anyone going down with non-LTIR injuries you will not be able to call anyone up. It works on paper, but not in reality.
Jul. 3, 2019 at 10:35 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Quoting: Yojimbo
That AGM doesn't work at all in reality. You have a 22 man roster and $85K under the cap. If you have anyone going down with non-LTIR injuries you will not be able to call anyone up. It works on paper, but not in reality.

We did almost the exact same thing the year we won the Cup, so I’d say it’s fairly realistic. Not ideal, but it’s what they have to do
Aug. 2, 2019 at 11:12 a.m.
I think the Caps need by out oshie and then the Sabres can sign him for cheap like 3-4 million.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll