Forums/Armchair-GM

Well we were all very very wrong

Created by: Chiller
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 2, 2019
Published: Jul. 2, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Well no one expected any of this at all.... so now that the picture is a bit more clear..

Kerfoot: Strong defensive numbers, has played Center in the NHL. Good for 40-45Pts. 24y/o RFA. So here is a 3 year deal at 3.2. I assume he signs a Kappy/Mango deal. anywhere in that range

Ceci: Leafs pay and dump. After signing him to 4.5Mil, you pay him immedaitley 3.5Mil in bonus. Trade him away to a team that needs the cap hit without the Salary. I chose vancouver but to be honest I have no idea who would take that contract on. Any D coming back is just as bad or has too much term or both. Maybe the best course of action is to give him his bonus' just trade him away and get a UFA D.

Marner: After Meiers and Aho sign very good deals, marners 11Mil/5 is as we all knew, stupid. No offer sheets have come. Aho the best comparable, plays C and is arguably slightly more skilled(up for debate). Marner eventually signs a long term 9Mil/7. I might be a bit low, maybe 9.25, but now with 2 comparables, 1 a great one.. his price has to have dropped.

Sparks: He is your backup because all remaining goalies are terrible. but maybe scott darling? Eddie Lack? Either way its a crap shoot.

Ideally I would like to upgrade the defense more with the amount of cap we still have, esepcially with dermott out for part of the start, but not sure who could be added for 1 year. Need next years $ to attempt to resign Barrie and maybe Muzzin. If either are even possible. The option is keep Ceci for the year and try the ol pump n dump? THere is enough cap space to do it..

I think Muzzin-Barrie is a better pairing off the bat, but who knows. Give them shutdown minutes. Give Rielly Dermott the fun OZ. 3rd pair.. i dunno?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$3,200,000
1$4,500,000
7$9,000,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Biega, Alex
Additional Details:
Biega is the oldest and is expendable. Vancouver gets a year to figure out if they like Ceci or can let him walk. RFA if they like him and 6 years younger
VAN
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. 2020 6th round pick (CAR)
Additional Details:
After Signing Ceci, Leafs attach 3.5Mil of Bonus for July 1. Leaving 1Mil in actual Salary remaining
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$77,228,866$0$0$4,271,134
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,000,000$9,000,000
RW
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$825,000$825,000
RD
UFA - 1
$894,167$894,167
LD
UFA - 3
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 2, 2019 at 1:21 p.m.
Toronto has definitely had a very good off-season so far. Still not gonna make it out of the first round though.
Jul. 2, 2019 at 1:22 p.m.
Ban Price trades
I don't think that Vancouver could afford Ceci's hit regardless of the actual dollars owed, and I also don't think it's wise for a team this cap-stressed with expiring deals to go into this season with over $4M in cap space. Load up and make a legitimate run at the thing. Ceci's strength is a good first pass, and that lack of transition killed the Leafs last year. He's not worth trading now: run with him and see if an actual NHL defender can be had in the guy.

PLUS the way Dubas is patient with prospects suggests to me that both Sandin and Liljegren aren't NHL regulars until next season.
Sign_em_up000000 and NR1203 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2019 at 1:29 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Well Dubas has said publically that he will play Ceci, take that for what it’s worth. I’m not positive what is going on with his contract though... seems a bit fishy that it isn’t signed. Is dubas still hoping he signs his QO? Lots of reports they have agreed on 4.5m...

As for marner I agree. It will be tail between the legs time soon enough. Aho has set the market for the big rfa’s. I expect Rantanen and point to sign soon enough pushing Mitch into a corner.
Chiller and blowing_the_zone liked this.
Jul. 2, 2019 at 1:37 p.m.
The leafs should have flipped Ceci for a pick right away and signed a couple of cheaper options

Also hutch is our back up next year pr sparks whoever wons the job outta camp

And Marner's comps are likely Aho and Panarin so he likely falls somewhere in between both id say 6 years 10.5
Jul. 2, 2019 at 1:41 p.m.
NGP22
Ceci plays more games for TOR than Sandin next year. Babcock is gonna give him top 4 min.
Jul. 2, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
Brewmaster
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
The leafs should have flipped Ceci for a pick right away and signed a couple of cheaper options

Also hutch is our back up next year pr sparks whoever wons the job outta camp

And Marner's comps are likely Aho and Panarin so he likely falls somewhere in between both id say 6 years 10.5

Panarin is not a good comparable. he is a UFA, with all the power and is much much better than Marner at this stage of his Career. UFAs and RFAs are completely different. Marner- a RFA, no negotiating rights minus an offer sheet(wont happen). His closest comparables are Point(1-year older, center), Aho(same draft-center), Rantanen(Same draft-winger). All RFAs, all basically the same age, all elite. You cant use Panarin and say I am him. Mitch can try and choose his own comparables, but thats really not how this works. You dont get to pick who you think you are. Dubas goes to mItch and says see how you basically are Aho but you dont play center and you arent as good defensively... well his deal seems fair so sign it or sit out.

Even before this deal Marner was worht 10/8 Max. Now I think its even lower. 10.5/6, gross gross overpayment based on every comparable from Kane in the past, to Aho now.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 2, 2019 at 2:28 p.m.
Quoting: Chiller
Panarin is not a good comparable. he is a UFA, with all the power and is much much better than Marner at this stage of his Career. UFAs and RFAs are completely different. Marner- a RFA, no negotiating rights minus an offer sheet(wont happen). His closest comparables are Point(1-year older, center), Aho(same draft-center), Rantanen(Same draft-winger). All RFAs, all basically the same age, all elite. You cant use Panarin and say I am him. Mitch can try and choose his own comparables, but thats really not how this works. You dont get to pick who you think you are. Dubas goes to mItch and says see how you basically are Aho but you dont play center and you arent as good defensively... well his deal seems fair so sign it or sit out.

Even before this deal Marner was worht 10/8 Max. Now I think its even lower. 10.5/6, gross gross overpayment based on every comparable from Kane in the past, to Aho now.

Panarin and Marner ar both essentially 100 point wingers although Marner is a playmaker and Panarin is a sniper, that being said point hasn't signed yet and Tampa has no state tax, weather we like it or not Marner can compare himself to whomever he wants as it takes two parties to sign a contract. That being said if i where dubas that would be my final offer and if Mitch doesn't want to sign it I would say have fun sitting at home as we will not negotiate during the season like we did with Nylander

All that said it really doesn't matter what any of us say as we have no control over the situation we're all just frustrated fans waiting to see what happens
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Jul. 2, 2019 at 2:39 p.m.
Brewmaster
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
Panarin and Marner ar both essentially 100 point wingers although Marner is a playmaker and Panarin is a sniper, that being said point hasn't signed yet and Tampa has no state tax, weather we like it or not Marner can compare himself to whomever he wants as it takes two parties to sign a contract. That being said if i where dubas that would be my final offer and if Mitch doesn't want to sign it I would say have fun sitting at home as we will not negotiate during the season like we did with Nylander

All that said it really doesn't matter what any of us say as we have no control over the situation we're all just frustrated fans waiting to see what happens

Yes, we just want it to be done. Sign a damn contract Mitch. I still think UFA vs RFA make a huge difference in terms of money. 2 Sides need to come together, but not being able to leave the Leafs willingly or any team you are an RFA from is very powerful. "Hey Mitch our stats and spreadsheets say "X Million over X Years". After everything Dubas has done, and looking at Ferris and mitch and the **** they pulled all year, i assume it gets done below market value especially with Aho signing..."
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 2, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
Quoting: Chiller
Yes, we just want it to be done. Sign a damn contract Mitch. I still think UFA vs RFA make a huge difference in terms of money. 2 Sides need to come together, but not being able to leave the Leafs willingly or any team you are an RFA from is very powerful. "Hey Mitch our stats and spreadsheets say "X Million over X Years". After everything Dubas has done, and looking at Ferris and mitch and the **** they pulled all year, i assume it gets done below market value especially with Aho signing..."

I agree 100% and understand there's a difference between ufa and rfa just comparing them cause of points and the fact that Breadman has a contract also agree that 10×8 is what he's worth just going on everything we've heard so far, and i honestly would let him sit out the year if he continues to be unreasonable because that's exactly what he's doing
Chiller liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll