Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 4, 2019 at 11:09 p.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I would probably swap Moore with Petan but this looks pretty good.

Don’t think we get that much term on marner but anyone’s guess is as good as mine.
Jul. 4, 2019 at 11:21 p.m.
I think Marner signs 9500000 x 6.

That’s the same term as Nylander but an AAV 2.5 million higher.

The same AAV as Kucherov just signed for but buying only 1 FA year not 7 like Kucherov,s deal.

It’s a slightly higher percent of the cap then Draisaitl signed for and for 2 years lower term.

I think Moore plays left wing on line 3

I expect Bracco and Petan to fight for the RW spot on 4th line and Bracco to win it.
Jul. 4, 2019 at 11:33 p.m.
i just don't see how Marner is going to take that deal and if contract talks continue to stall, someone will be willing to offer sheet him for 5 yrs just under the 4 1st threshold. the question is: will an offer sheet be used by marner's agent to get a deal he thinks the leafs will sign that gives him what he wants (like Aho's agent did) or will it be an aggressive 10+ million dollars offer sheet.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 12:05 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: trickydick55
i just don't see how Marner is going to take that deal and if contract talks continue to stall, someone will be willing to offer sheet him for 5 yrs just under the 4 1st threshold. the question is: will an offer sheet be used by marner's agent to get a deal he thinks the leafs will sign that gives him what he wants (like Aho's agent did) or will it be an aggressive 10+ million dollars offer sheet.

He was already offered 10m x 8 years. Anything below the four first round pick mark is matched easily.
Jtcurls and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 12:10 a.m.
Edited Jul. 5, 2019 at 12:31 a.m.

Ok.......I will play along because I have time and switched to the IMAC so I have a real keyboard.

So your suggestion is Marner signs a 5 yr (his supposed first choice for term) deal and you are suggesting at 10.4 million AAV so as not to be the 4 firsts.

Is there anyone out there who thinks the Leafs would not match that offer I mean I think they match that offer for sure. Its an over pay but even if its loaded with signing bonus payments is that really something that would be a barrier to Dubas. Look at every contract they sign and its all signing bonus' so doing that won't be a problem.

I get that Marner might want an offer sheet that overpays him and that is for 5 years. But, if the Leafs are going to match it then tell me who makes that offer, some GM who wants to "screw the Leafs".

They only way I see a team agreeing to offer sheet Marner is if they think they will get him. That means going over 11 million or maybe even 12 million (god forbid) plus give up the 4 first round picks.

Who do you suggest is the team that is going to offer that?

Carolina has the cap space but do you think they are going to do it at that level. I mean they just agreed to pay Aho almost 22 million in the next year, now you want them to pay Marner 25 or 30 million on top of that, plus overpay him AAV, plus give up the picks.............I think the owner has the money but he isn't looking to screw Toronto, her is looking to screw with Montreal......Personally I don't see it.

Montreal just made a sheet so we know they are open to the idea and they have the cap space. Plus the Habs you would think would love to steal this guy from the hated Maple Leafs . But do you see them giving up the 4 firsts plus the 11 or 12 million it would take. I mean if they were going to go to that level wouldn't they have at least gone that high on Aho who was there initial target instead of lowballing the AAV like they did to not give up the picks......... I think Connor or Laine or Tkachuk would be more likely to be next on there list of guys.

Long Island, I mean Lou must want to screw Dubas. Plus he has the cap space and he just lost out offering Panarin over 11 million. Of course, Panarin doesn't cost the 4 firsts plus the 11 or 12 million AAV. I think Lou will pass and hope to build something on his own. Lou is old school and likes his first round picks. Handing those picks to the hated Dubas would I think take all the joy away from his getting Marner. Imagine the look on Marner face if he was suddenly faced with playing the next 5 years under a coach T system. Not likely Mitch takes that chance.

Winnepeg, Calgary, Edmonton, St Louis, Minnesota, Chicago, Buffalo, NYR, Washington, Pittsburg, Philadelphia, Tampa, Dallas, Nashville, Arizona, Los Angelos, Anaheim, Vegas all have there own cap problems and would have to jump through hoops to make a sheet.

I guess we could go on looking at every team out there but I think I made my point. Offer sheets are rare and GM's don't make them unless they think they will not be matched.

AHO's agent played Montreal and I don't think you will see that happen again and certainly not with the Leafs.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 12:33 a.m.
Quoting: Jamiepo
He was already offered 10m x 8 years. Anything below the four first round pick mark is matched easily.

he doesn't want an 8 yr deal thats why he turned it down. With what cap room will they match? seems that Dubas has run out of moves to clear space. then how do the fill 11 roster spots next year with only ~16 million in space after a 10.5 marner contract? I think they just aren't going to match anything above 9.5. the cap space is more important in a 5 year window they have with JT and Matthews down the middle.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 12:42 a.m.
he doesn't want an 8 yr deal thats why he turned it down. With what cap room will they match? seems that Dubas has run out of moves to clear space. then how do the fill 11 roster spots next year with only ~16 million in space after a 10.5 marner contract? I think they just aren't going to match anything above 9.5. the cap space is more important in a 5 year window they have with JT and Matthews down the middle.

I get that he doesn't want it but if he wants over 10 million then he has to give up term.

Leafs can match any offer up to 9.5 + 3.2 = 12.7 million

Of course they would have to trade Kapanen to pay Mitch but I have no doubt they could find someone willing to take Kappy off there hands. Especially with the new cost certainty of his 3.2 x 3 yr deal.

I understand according to "insider extraordinaire Dreger" Marner may want 5 years, I understand he may think he should be paid what Matthews and certainly won't sign for "less then 10 million".

Look at what GM's have been willing to pay for a wing and only Panarin and Kane are the only two that I believe are signed for more then 10 million. Remember that those contracts didn't also cost the GM who signed them 4 X 1st rounders on top of the salary.

I may be wrong but I don't see an offer sheet at that AAV appearing and anything less the leafs gladly match.

And.........tell me why and who makes an offer that the leafs will match.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 12:52 a.m.
Edited Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:04 a.m.
And if they did make that big offer, I mean, maybe the Leafs just take the picks plus use the cap space.

With the 9.5 they have left they could

Sign jake Gardner for 5 x 5.5 million (gardner supposedly wants to stay)

Plus hey can also sign say Dzingle for 4 x 4ish lets say to play on second line or let Kapanen move up instead and Dzingle could play 3rd line. I mean he is no Mitch but I guess would have to do and he did a decent job filling in for another RFA situation last year. Oh, yes and the addition of Gardner to strengthen the defence might be worth it.

Of course, you would still have to find a team willing to over pay for Marner, give up the picks and walk him to FA.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 12:53 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo

Dubas was on Tim and did today and literally said they have protected the exact amount they need for marner.

Dubas is out of moves??? They have one nmc on their entire roster... I would say there are a lot of moves they can make.

Sorry to say but you are completely off base here. The cap space will be about 20m and that is all to be spent on defence since we will be set on offence next season. Our entire top 9 will be locked in. Then we have Freddy and Rielly in. Liljegren and sandin will be moving up. 2 fourth liners, scratches... leaves us about 13m to sign Dermott and 2 more Dmen. The outlook for next year looks good.
Jtcurls liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 12:56 a.m.
Dubas was on Tim and did today and literally said they have protected the exact amount they need for marner.

Dubas is out of moves??? They have one nmc on their entire roster... I would say there are a lot of moves they can make.

Sorry to say but you are completely off base here. The cap space will be about 20m and that is all to be spent on defence since we will be set on offence next season. Our entire top 9 will be locked in. Then we have Freddy and Rielly in. Liljegren and sandin will be moving up. 2 fourth liners, scratches... leaves us about 13m to sign Dermott and 2 more Dmen. The outlook for next year looks good.

I couldn't agree more.

Of course if i did try it would take me way more works.

Well said.
GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:01 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Jtcurls
I couldn't agree more.

Of course if i did try it would take me way more works.

Well said.

If you get a chance, listen to the interview with Dubas. It was really insightful.

He likes having muzzin, Barrie and ceci all coming off the books. He will be evaluating them all season and picking which if any will be resigned. He is very high on the prospects coming up. Also had a lot of praise for Pridham, he’s quite humble.

The fact that he said everything he does goes through Pridham first and they calculate exactly what needs to be done at every turn so they don’t touch Marner’s money.

They are really just waiting on an offersheet while trying to push through some “creative” deals. If he gets 4 1sts for Mitch... I think Mitch is gone.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:02 a.m.
I get that he doesn't want it but if he wants over 10 million then he has to give up term.

Leafs can match any offer up to 9.5 + 3.2 = 12.7 million

Of course they would have to trade Kapanen to pay Mitch but I have no doubt they could find someone willing to take Kappy off there hands. Especially with the new cost certainty of his 3.2 x 3 yr deal.

I understand according to "insider extraordinaire Dreger" Marner may want 5 years, I understand he may think he should be paid what Matthews and certainly won't sign for "less then 10 million".

Look at what GM's have been willing to pay for a wing and only Panarin and Kane are the only two that I believe are signed for more then 10 million. Remember that those contracts didn't also cost the GM who signed them 4 X 1st rounders on top of the salary.

I may be wrong but I don't see an offer sheet at that AAV appearing and anything less the leafs gladly match.

And.........tell me why and who makes an offer that the leafs will match.

as I see it now the leafs have 3,765,301 in cap space and another 5,300,000 in LTIR relief bringing there total cap space to 9,065,301. the leafs can't match anything above that with losing more talent. at that point, Dubas will be selling Kapinen at a position of weakness and likely selling low. why? what's the point? you have two centers to build around and you think its a good idea to match a 10.5 offersheet?

and again i ask you, if they receive a 10.5 offer sheet that gets signed and matched, then what do they do next year? I just don't even understand why, given the leafs current cap situation they would want to match that offer. use that money to re-sign barrie and muzzin
Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:06 a.m.

so in order to improve the poor defensive play of this team, the plan is to bring in more inexperienced undersized offensive defensemen? all that offense will help you in the regular season, but if you can't play solid D in the playoffs, you will continue to lose to the bruins in the first round.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:09 a.m.

I'm sure they do have the exact amount that need for marner: the exact amount they are willing to go up to. which seems to be 9.5
Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:14 a.m.
Edited Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:35 a.m.
You know what. You appear to be from the island or at least an islander fan.

I encourage you to use whatever influence you have to get Lou to make an offer sheet for Marner at over 10.5 million.

As a Leafs fan I would hate to see Marner go but based on what he has done in the last 30 days I would love to see Dubas armed with 9.5 million in free cap space and 4 first round picks.

Who do you think he could trade for in February with those picks actually who could he trade for the next 4 years with at the trade deadline and who could he sign on defence right now with some of that money.

hmmmmmmmmmm.........
GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:18 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
I'm sure they do have the exact amount that need for marner: the exact amount they are willing to go up to. which seems to be 9.5

Actually 10.6m...
Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:20 a.m.
Actually 10.6m...

they have just over 9 million in cap space rn, so how is 10.5 currently protected?
Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:30 a.m.
Edited Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:41 a.m.
Actually 10.6m...

The guy posted 18 Offer-sheet threads in last two weeks, one of them was based on instagram of Sydney Esiason's.....the footage from Matt Martins wedding rehersal...

You really talking sense to him ?

then you have joshelkin and linehan10 and hockegoalie35...following each with 15 OS threads in last two weeks.....the jersey burners.....
Jtcurls and GenXHockey liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:39 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
they have just over 9 million in cap space rn, so how is 10.5 currently protected?

Lol? Where are you getting 9m from.... the number ranges from 10m-10.6m. Depends on the roster. to be honest I think if someone decides to do 11m x 8 dubas pulls the trigger on a Hyman Trade (sometime between now and October... seems to me like you don’t understand the cap is 90m till last day of training camp) and matches that offer.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 1:41 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
Quoting: Laudan
The guy posted 18 Offer-sheet threads in last two weeks, one of them was based on instagram of Sydney Esiason's.....the footage from Matt Martins wedding rehersal...

then you have joshelkin and linehan10 and hockegoalie35...each following with 15 OS threads in last two weeks.....

I know, I find it my duty to try and educate islander fans. Kinda feel bad for the few decent days nes on this site. This guy just seems confused rather than ignorant.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 8:28 a.m.
Quoting: Laudan

then you have joshelkin and linehan10 and hockegoalie35...following each with 15 OS threads in last two weeks.....the jersey burners.....

literally none of this is true, but okay laudan. please do everyone a favor and get laid.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 8:41 a.m.
Lol? Where are you getting 9m from.... the number ranges from 10m-10.6m. Depends on the roster. to be honest I think if someone decides to do 11m x 8 dubas pulls the trigger on a Hyman Trade (sometime between now and October... seems to me like you don’t understand the cap is 90m till last day of training camp) and matches that offer.

OKay, they may have a path to get 10.6 in there head but they don't have 10.6 protected right now is what I'm saying. I was legitimately asking a question on how you got to that number. yes, I know you don't need to be under the ceiling until training camp ends, don't patronize me... okay they still need to field a 24 person roster at 71.5 million when the season. and if he can't move hyman? if he can't execute trade to get under the cap? I believe the penalty for not getting under is forfeit every game until you do. it just seems real risky to be matching a 10.5 million dollar offer that no one in leafs nation thinks the guy is worth.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 8:46 a.m.
You know what. You appear to be from the island or at least an islander fan.

I encourage you to use whatever influence you have to get Lou to make an offer sheet for Marner at over 10.5 million.

As a Leafs fan I would hate to see Marner go but based on what he has done in the last 30 days I would love to see Dubas armed with 9.5 million in free cap space and 4 first round picks.

Who do you think he could trade for in February with those picks actually who could he trade for the next 4 years with at the trade deadline and who could he sign on defence right now with some of that money.

hmmmmmmmmmm.........

i agree with you, I think it's best for Toronto to walk away from marner for anything over 9.5 million. idk what me being an islander fan has to do with that observation. if it were the team i root for, with Kapenen and Johanssen there and JT and Matthews down the middle. idk why commit another huge contract to your forwards, especially if everyone thinks the guy isn't worth it.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 8:59 a.m.
Formerly Jamiepo
i agree with you, I think it's best for Toronto to walk away from marner for anything over 9.5 million. idk what me being an islander fan has to do with that observation. if it were the team i root for, with Kapenen and Johanssen there and JT and Matthews down the middle. idk why commit another huge contract to your forwards, especially if everyone thinks the guy isn't worth it.

No Toronto will not walk away at 9.5m lol 10.6m and up then they consider taking your four 1st rounders.

OKay, they may have a path to get 10.6 in there head but they don't have 10.6 protected right now is what I'm saying. I was legitimately asking a question on how you got to that number. yes, I know you don't need to be under the ceiling until training camp ends, don't patronize me... okay they still need to field a 24 person roster at 71.5 million when the season. and if he can't move hyman? if he can't execute trade to get under the cap? I believe the penalty for not getting under is forfeit every game until you do. it just seems real risky to be matching a 10.5 million dollar offer that no one in leafs nation thinks the guy is worth.

There is a path to free up about 70m in cap space that is not the issue. Leafs have over 10m in cap space at the moment. If you look at any leafs agm on here you can see that. It all depends on which players you comprise a roster out of and how many players you use. I would assume that Toronto uses no more than 22 this season.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll