SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Marner Offer Sheet?

Will Marner Sign an Offer Sheet?
The chart has been hidden

Poll Options

Jul. 5, 2019 at 6:32 p.m.
A lot of talk today that at least one team is prepared to offer $12.5M. In doing so, this team would obviously need to surrender four 1st round picks. Which team(s) is considering this drastic step? I'm thinking it's the NYI, but I could be wrong. They're one of the few teams w/ the cap space to make it happen, but is he worth the picks? I'd def. offer the money, but the four 1st rounders would be the deal breaker. Has anyone heard the latest news on this? Let me know. Thx.On another note, I'd rather have Rantanen at a lower cost, but COL has ample cap space and would most likely match anything under the highest level of comp.

Thx for the insights.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 7:16 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I'm hearing from my sources that Marner may or may not be offer sheeted. It might happen today, but it might not. If it doesn't happen today, then it might happen tomorrow, but it might not. If it doesn't happen today or tomorrow, then it might happen eventually. But it also might not. If he does get offer sheeted i am hearing it will be somewhere from the league minimum to the league maximum cap hit, for somewhere from 1 year to the maximum allowed. I'm also hearing that if he is offer sheeted, it will be by one of these teams: Anaheim, Arizona, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, Florida, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Vancouver, Vegas, Washington, and Winnipeg. So, he might be offer sheeted, but he might not. If it happens, it may or may not be today. That's what i'm hearing from my sources.
Munsen88, palhal, Androsch and 1 other person liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 7:17 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Serious question, though, can a team offer sheet him for 8 years? UFAs can't get more than 7 years from a new, team but what about RFAs?
Jul. 5, 2019 at 9:08 p.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
I'm hearing from my sources that Marner may or may not be offer sheeted. It might happen today, but it might not. If it doesn't happen today, then it might happen tomorrow, but it might not. If it doesn't happen today or tomorrow, then it might happen eventually. But it also might not. If he does get offer sheeted i am hearing it will be somewhere from the league minimum to the league maximum cap hit, for somewhere from 1 year to the maximum allowed. I'm also hearing that if he is offer sheeted, it will be by one of these teams: Anaheim, Arizona, Boston, Buffalo, Calgary, Carolina, Chicago, Colorado, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, Florida, Los Angeles, Minnesota, Montreal, Nashville, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, San Jose, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Vancouver, Vegas, Washington, and Winnipeg. So, he might be offer sheeted, but he might not. If it happens, it may or may not be today. That's what i'm hearing from my sources.

I'll assume you're making fun of the media and not me, lol. Usually when there's this much chatter something is in the works. But the fact that nothing happened today makes me a little more skeptical.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 9:18 p.m.
I think he signs if the 11.5M or other insane inflated numbers are true... Most people want to get paid, Toronto don't seem likely to win a cup despite all the moves they do anyways smile. I"d be shocked if Kings sign him like some rumors have it though compared to other teams like CBJ I see more likely smile.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 9:22 p.m.
Philly Sports Fan
I just watched the hockey guy on youtube talk about this. its something like 12.4 cap hit I think. I will throw out my guesses for the sake of conversation.....

Shannon thew out the Islanders but I think they would have to move someone to make the cap hit work. (i think, maybe?)

4- Ottawa. They have the cap and need to hit the cap floor. They have a nice stock pile of picks so losing 4 firsts wouldn't hurt too bad I think. But its Ottawa...
3 - Winnipeg. Cap space. But Laine needs a new contract, so eh.
2 - New Jersey- They are above cap floor but still have a ton of cap. Hall and Marner and anyone, that line might work.
1 - Colorado. below cap floor and made some moves a lot of y'all said looked weird. Avalanche are my pick. Mostly cause I don't want it to be the devils or anyone in the Metro thats not Philly.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 9:26 p.m.
Quoting: Munsen88
I just watched the hockey guy on youtube talk about this. its something like 12.4 cap hit I think. I will throw out my guesses for the sake of conversation.....

Shannon thew out the Islanders but I think they would have to move someone to make the cap hit work. (i think, maybe?)

4- Ottawa. They have the cap and need to hit the cap floor. They have a nice stock pile of picks so losing 4 firsts wouldn't hurt too bad I think. But its Ottawa...
2 - New Jersey- They are above cap floor but still have a ton of cap. Hall and Marner and anyone, that line might work.
1 - Colorado. below cap floor and make some moves a lot of y'all said looked weird. Avalanche are my pick. Mostly cause I don't want it to be the devils or anyone in the Metro thats not Philly.

Thats funny I watch The Hockey Guy too mostly for his jerseys... I like Tara Fitzgeral she runs "The Glove Drop" on Youtube/Web and FB... She is a Rangers fan though who don't make enough daily videos to get to 100K where she belongs yet smile. Keep an eye on her, I think she took some of the advice I gave her. Islanders were ready to pay Panarin about that same amt of money so I think they would have the cap room for it off hand smile. I"d be shocked to see Jersey, Jets, or Senators even Avalanche sign him personally... I could see CBJ or Islanders since they might have enough cap space among a few others...
Munsen88 liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 9:27 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Brian2016
I'll assume you're making fun of the media and not me, lol. Usually when there's this much chatter something is in the works. But the fact that nothing happened today makes me a little more skeptical.

I'm not making fun of you ... i'm kind of making fun of the media but my sources really are telling me those facts. I don't have any reason for making those guesses other than being told by my sources. A very good source told me he might or might not get offer sheeted. Another told me if he does, it would be one of those 30 teams i mentioned. I'm just saying what my sources are telling me. wink
Brian2016 liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 9:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Daoloth
I think he signs if the 11.5M or other insane inflated numbers are true... Most people want to get paid, Toronto don't seem likely to win a cup despite all the moves they do anyways smile. I"d be shocked if Kings sign him like some rumors have it though compared to other teams like CBJ I see more likely smile.

I haven't seen the LA rumours. LA would never give up the 4 1sts for an overpaid Marner. Unless someone overpays him with an offer sheet, any offer sheet would be matched.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 9:28 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Munsen88

1 - Colorado. below cap floor and made some moves a lot of y'all said looked weird. Avalanche are my pick. Mostly cause I don't want it to be the devils or anyone in the Metro thats not Philly.

Ottawa has lots of picks but losing those 4 1sts would be pretty horrible for them.
Munsen88 and palhal liked this.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 9:30 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Thats funny I watch The Hockey Guy too mostly for his jerseys... I like Tara Fitzgeral she runs "The Glove Drop" on Youtube/Web and FB... She is a Rangers fan though who don't make enough daily videos to get to 100K where she belongs yet smile. Keep an eye on her, I think she took some of the advice I gave her. Islanders were ready to pay Panarin about that same amt of money so I think they would have the cap room for it off hand smile. I"d be shocked to see Jersey, Jets, or Senators even Avalanche sign him personally... I could see CBJ or Islanders since they might have enough cap space among a few others...

Islanders don't really have the cap space. They have like 8 or 9 million or something like that. Marner will probably cost more, or at least he will if we have any chance of getting him without Toronto matching. I still can't believe Montreal gave Aho 8.454M in an offer sheet. They should have known they weren't getting him. He's the type of guy you build a team around and i think he's probably a better player than Marner. But still, Marner will probably end up getting at least 10M per season.
Jul. 5, 2019 at 9:38 p.m.
I haven't seen the LA rumours. LA would never give up the 4 1sts for an overpaid Marner. Unless someone overpays him with an offer sheet, any offer sheet would be matched.

Kings had 2 1st round picks this draft without anything to show or last 2 drafts... Kings draft so badly in 1st round they woudn't even blink at giving away 4 1st round draft picks if they thought Mariner was worth it... Islanders offer to Panarin was least 10-12M a year so they easily have the cap space for him or a plan to shed enough after they sign him... Otherwise how were they able to offer Panarin at least that much if they don't have space for him/it smile? Besides not having 4 1st round picks would save money moving forward... Toronto has a lot of media attention being the richest team anyways... Seattle coming into league a team might be more inclined to lose assets thinking they will lose in expansion draft for no compensation too... CBJ probably has the most money to throw at him since they lost the biggest name UFAS though...
Jul. 5, 2019 at 9:41 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Kings had 2 1st round picks this draft without anything to show or last 2 drafts... Kings draft so badly in 1st round they woudn't even blink at giving away 4 1st round draft picks if they thought Mariner was worth it... Islanders offer to Panarin was least 10-12M a year so they easily have the cap space for him or a plan to shed enough after they sign him... Otherwise how were they able to offer Panarin at least that much if they don't have space for him/it smile? Besides not having 4 1st round picks would save money moving forward... Toronto has a lot of media attention being the richest team anyways... Seattle coming into league a team might be more inclined to lose assets thinking they will lose in expansion draft for no compensation too... CBJ probably has the most money to throw at him since they lost the biggest name UFAS though...

What do you mean him/it?

Too early to know with the Kings picks.
Jul. 6, 2019 at 12:07 p.m.
The only teams that could possibly offer sheet him are teams that are already close to contending for the Cup. Otherwise, giving up four 1st rounders is suicide. Those picks will be high 1st rounders on non-contenders. That leaves teams like the Islanders, Devils, and MTL as possible teams. LAK would still suck next season even w/ Marner.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Jul. 6, 2019 at 12:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
The only teams that could possibly offer sheet him are teams that are already close to contending for the Cup. Otherwise, giving up four 1st rounders is suicide. Those picks will be high 1st rounders on non-contenders. That leaves teams like the Islanders, Devils, and MTL as possible teams. LAK would still suck next season even w/ Marner.

Agreed. LA shouldn't offer-sheet Marner. The Islanders, Devils, and Canadiens could all potentially miss the playoffs in 2019-20, but adding Marner would make them better. Still not worth giving up 4 1sts for an overpaid Marner, because they'll have to overpay him if they have any chance of getting him.
Brian2016 liked this.
Jul. 6, 2019 at 12:30 p.m.
Agreed. LA shouldn't offer-sheet Marner. The Islanders, Devils, and Canadiens could all potentially miss the playoffs in 2019-20, but adding Marner would make them better. Still not worth giving up 4 1sts for an overpaid Marner, because they'll have to overpay him if they have any chance of getting him.

I think it's an insane proposition. Look at what the Devils have done w/ their last 4 1st rounders. All Centers, by the way. Odds are at least 2 of the 4 picks become impact players, especially if they're higher picks.
Jul. 6, 2019 at 12:37 p.m.
Islanders don't really have the cap space. They have like 8 or 9 million or something like that. Marner will probably cost more, or at least he will if we have any chance of getting him without Toronto matching. I still can't believe Montreal gave Aho 8.454M in an offer sheet. They should have known they weren't getting him. He's the type of guy you build a team around and i think he's probably a better player than Marner. But still, Marner will probably end up getting at least 10M per season.

I think MTL should throw everything at Point instead of Marner. Idk if Point would even consider signing w/ MTL, but I think there's a chance they could steal him at the 2nd highest level of comp. I wouldn't give up 4 first rounders for him either, but why not punish the top team in your division if you can't land him? Offer Point 5 years at $10.568M. Why not?
Jul. 6, 2019 at 1:11 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think MTL should throw everything at Point instead of Marner. Idk if Point would even consider signing w/ MTL, but I think there's a chance they could steal him at the 2nd highest level of comp. I wouldn't give up 4 first rounders for him either, but why not punish the top team in your division if you can't land him? Offer Point 5 years at $10.568M. Why not?

Why not? Because they aren't going to get him at that. And Point seems to really want to stay in Tampa Bay anyway, so he almost definitely won't be offer sheeted.
Jul. 6, 2019 at 1:12 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
I think it's an insane proposition. Look at what the Devils have done w/ their last 4 1st rounders. All Centers, by the way. Odds are at least 2 of the 4 picks become impact players, especially if they're higher picks.

Just imagine if Ottawa had gotten a player using an offer sheet giving up 4 1st rounders in the 2017 offseason ...
Brian2016 liked this.
Jul. 6, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
Just imagine if Ottawa had gotten a player using an offer sheet giving up 4 1st rounders in the 2017 offseason ...

Exactly. There's too much parody and competitive balance to risk it.
Jul. 6, 2019 at 1:34 p.m.
Why not? Because they aren't going to get him at that. And Point seems to really want to stay in Tampa Bay anyway, so he almost definitely won't be offer sheeted.

CAR was never gonna give up Aho, but Bergevin still offer sheeted him.
Jul. 6, 2019 at 2:09 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
CAR was never gonna give up Aho, but Bergevin still offer sheeted him.

But Aho was open to playing in Montreal. I don't think Point wants to play anywhere other than Tampa Bay.
palhal and Brian2016 liked this.
Jul. 6, 2019 at 2:53 p.m.
I love it when teams offer sheet anyone. It builds up rivalries.

If NYI does the deed - nice payback for Taveres signing.
Or NJD to solidify their buildup to a Cup run.

Many other teams could be willing to help another team hurt Toronto in freeing up cap space for an offer. Though these teams don't have a lot of cap space remaining, Toronto has OS'd Dallas (Craig) and Vancouver (Ohlund).
Jul. 6, 2019 at 3:32 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Regarding your original post. Well done. But you left out a team. If the Leafs offer sheet Marner do they receive four first roundersHuh?
Jul. 6, 2019 at 3:41 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
But Aho was open to playing in Montreal. I don't think Point wants to play anywhere other than Tampa Bay.

Apparently, Aho was really being stymied by the Canes negotiations. Canes apparently had just offered a one year deal and an eight year deal, much to Aho's dissatisfaction. Montreal filled the void by offershetting Aho (why didn't any other team)? Aho probably thinks it's about 1.5m per year short but hey he got his contract and now UFA freedom in 5 years.
You're right about Point. Undoubtedly he will take less to stay in Tampa. What's his tipping point though? a 1.5m difference, a 3m difference per year?
Still overpaying a RFA and giving up four first rounders is a dangerous game for the new team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Loading animation
Submit Poll Edit