Forums/Armchair-GM

Marner gets Aho term and money

Created by: swinny
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 7, 2019
Published: Jul. 7, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
No one is selling me on the idea that Marner is worth that much more than Aho. Similar career track (have been mentioning this is threads), he does not play centre, and has the benefit of playing with Tavares.

He is not Kucherov (Marner currently lacks an art Ross and Hart), nor is he McJesus (who has the same hardware).

So people..... he ain't getting no $12 million from the Leafs! Hell, not sure he sees $10 million now? Bergevin set the market - and should be on every Leafs fans' Christmas card list.

Anyone wanna try to convince me otherwise, I am listening.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$8,500,000
Trades
TOR
  1. 2020 5th round pick (ANA)
ANA
  1. Gauthier, Frédérik
Additional Details:
Spezza is an upgrade. Time to cut bait on this former 1st rounder. Engvall or Brooks or Petan in 20-21
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,222,199$0$0$277,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$8,500,000$8,500,000
RW
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:28 a.m.
Quoting: Jack_
I actually think marner is better then rantanen. Rantanen wasnt great without MacKinnon. I guess marner was bad without JT so it kind of offsets things but if we are just looking at skillset, playing the most important position and scoring goals which is the hardest thing to do then aho would be ahead of them both. I do think rantanen and marner should make similar amounts though

Wasn't bad. But 69 to 94 points = Tavares effect imo. No different than the McKinnon effect on Rattanen. Very very good players - playing with maybe better ones.
Trickster and oneX liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:30 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Marner is better than 8.5 mil, but hes not worth more than 10, hes getting this money for 2 reasons A. he is probably making the argument hes worth more than Matthews (even though hes not) and b. Toronto media hyped him up so much this season to the point where he would bhe dumb to not use it as leverage. his contract shpuld be 10mil AAV for 8 years and i certainly do not want my isles offer sheeting him for 12.5 AAV for 8 years
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:33 a.m.
KL2
Marners comparison is Auston Matthews. He’s not comparing himself to anybody outside of the leafs. His argument is that hes more productive than Matthews so he should make the Same or more it’s not that hard to understand. Leafs are trying to compare him to playings outside of their franchise which unfortunately won’t work since the other top 3 forwards on the leafs are overpaid
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:33 a.m.
Quoting: Socially_Hawkward_Podcast
To say they set the market with Aho is ridiculous. Marner can easily say no Philly set the market with Hayes insane contract. Just cus one player took less than what they're worth doesn't mean every other player has to.

Hayes was a UFA. Changes the game.
Trickster liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:34 a.m.
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
So you think that Marner’s camp is going to okay with Nylander and Matthews being paid more than their market value whereas Marner gets less or equivalent? Also, it’s not just about the stats. Marner has more raw talent. His skating, agility, vision, creativity, puck skills are all better.

Exactly; I can't get over how many Leaf fans are siding with the Leafs management. That office put the team in a cap crunch...the same office that has you fans waiting 52+ years for a cup.

Marner is elite talent and the guy should be paid as such. No stanley cup team in the modern era is winning without a A caliber playmaking winger and Toronto doesn't have one outside of Marner. Be happy you have him and fault the office for handling it poorly. A hockey player should maximize their value...their careers are short and sometimes cut extremely short with injuries....I don't blame a player for wanting to get max value.

Hawks fans on the other hand with Debrincat, are preparing for him to get paid and will crucify Stan Bowman if he doesn't get paid and locked in next summer. Is Debrincat worth $8.5M a year right now....hell no, but Hawks fans are saying pay the kid as you can see from our AGM's....and Debrincat is no Marner by a country mile. Did Hawks fans cry when Kane and Toews got locked into the most expensive contracts in the league at the time and forcing us into cap hell....nope, we faulted the office for handling other players incorrectly but not the two guys that brought us 3 cups. Matthews and Marner are your Kane and Toews.

Bottom line, Marner is worth whatever a team is willing to pay him and if the Leafs pay him $10M for 5 years I'd be happy. Conversely if an offer sheet comes in for $10.5M for 5 years, if I was a Leafs fan I'd be pissed if they don't match. But hey, you can side with that front office that hasn't brought Toronto a cup for 52+ years.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:35 a.m.
Quoting: klondikebar
Marner is better than 8.5 mil, but hes not worth more than 10, hes getting this money for 2 reasons A. he is probably making the argument hes worth more than Matthews (even though hes not) and b. Toronto media hyped him up so much this season to the point where he would bhe dumb to not use it as leverage. his contract shpuld be 10mil AAV for 8 years and i certainly do not want my isles offer sheeting him for 12.5 AAV for 8 years

8 years at $10 million kinda works. It's Aho's $8.5 million with $1.5 million extra for 3 seasons of UFA eleigibility. I would pay for that. But anymore..... I walk.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:37 a.m.
I'm thinking it's going to be even shorter term. Something like 10.5 for 4 years. That gets him back to market soon for a shot at 12.5 for 6 or something. I don't think that he'd be able to command more than 10.5 now. So this would be a win win for everyone.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: Wildwinswhen
I'm thinking it's going to be even shorter term. Something like 10.5 for 4 years. That gets him back to market soon for a shot at 12.5 for 6 or something. I don't think that he'd be able to command more than 10.5 now. So this would be a win win for everyone.

For what the Marner camp thinks he is worth, a hybrid bridge deal seems more and more likely.

But that number will be under $10 million. He isn't worth 8 figures..... yet.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:42 a.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51
Is he more valuable than Andersen? No way in hell. Is he more valuable then our best Dman, Morgan Rielly? No way in hell. Is he more valuable than a centerman who made him 90 point player? No way. Is he more valuable than centerman who has most 5v5 goals in all NHL since coming into the league, who drove the line with two players who are not as capable creatively and offensively as guy like Nylander or Marner and still got almost 40 goals in almost 70 games and similar amount of assists and was setting up career years for Kapanen and Johnsson? No way in hell is he even close to Matthews. 5th. He is not as valuable as those 4 guys I mentioned. But Aho is not as good comparable to Marner because automatically he is more valuable as #1 centerman. But Rantanen is good comparable and Rantanen should get as much as Marner, possibly even more. It would be interesting to see what happens but anything over 10mil AAV is overpayment. If its class 2 offersheet at 10.56etc.. they match it but it would be bad contract. If more, no way. I love Marner and he is gonna be star BUT he is not as valuable to be getting 10+. 9+ is reasonable and logical.

Disagree...Anderson is a 29 year old goalie that wouldn't be considered a top 5 goalie in the league...not to take anything away from him because he's good no doubt, but out of 31 starting goalies, I wouldn't put him in the elite category of top 5. Marner is 22 years old and is a top 10 winger no question about that; given 248 starting wingers that's pretty elite to be in the top 10. Rielly? C'mon...he's good but hardly elite.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:51 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Disagree...Anderson is a 29 year old goalie that wouldn't be considered a top 5 goalie in the league...not to take anything away from him because he's good no doubt, but out of 31 starting goalies, I wouldn't put him in the elite category of top 5. Marner is 22 years old and is a top 10 winger no question about that; given 248 starting wingers that's pretty elite to be in the top 10. Rielly? C'mon...he's good but hardly elite.

Hold up. So Marner increases his point production by 30 points playing with Tavares and he is "Elite top 10" in the NHL. Reilly puts up a Norris type season, increasing his point total by roughly the same 30 points, and he is not "elite" at all?

That's flawed thinking.

Imo, niether player at this stage is "elite"..... just damn good hockey players. Gimmie a couple seasons of that production and growth, it changes the conversation.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 11:53 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex

Disagreed. But you have your opinion and I dont take it away from you. Andersen is not only for me but for many many people a top-5 G in the league. Who is better than him? Vasilevskiy and Gibson for sure and then arguably MAYBE Bishop (who is older) and Price (who is also older). Rinne is not as good and much much older. As for Rielly. He is for sure top-10 Dman and maybe even top-5. Seth Jones, Victor Hedman, Mark Giordano, Brent Burns are better than Rielly. I doubt anybody else is. Maybe Chabot will, but Rielly is just 25yrs old and has like 10-15yrs ahead of him. Rielly is elite defenceman. And he is only getting better.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 12:10 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: swinny
Wasn't bad. But 69 to 94 points = Tavares effect imo. No different than the McKinnon effect on Rattanen. Very very good players - playing with maybe better ones.

Exactly and there are
Exactly; I can't get over how many Leaf fans are siding with the Leafs management. That office put the team in a cap crunch...the same office that has you fans waiting 52+ years for a cup.

Marner is elite talent and the guy should be paid as such. No stanley cup team in the modern era is winning without a A caliber playmaking winger and Toronto doesn't have one outside of Marner. Be happy you have him and fault the office for handling it poorly. A hockey player should maximize their value...their careers are short and sometimes cut extremely short with injuries....I don't blame a player for wanting to get max value.

Hawks fans on the other hand with Debrincat, are preparing for him to get paid and will crucify Stan Bowman if he doesn't get paid and locked in next summer. Is Debrincat worth $8.5M a year right now....hell no, but Hawks fans are saying pay the kid as you can see from our AGM's....and Debrincat is no Marner by a country mile. Did Hawks fans cry when Kane and Toews got locked into the most expensive contracts in the league at the time and forcing us into cap hell....nope, we faulted the office for handling other players incorrectly but not the two guys that brought us 3 cups. Matthews and Marner are your Kane and Toews.

Bottom line, Marner is worth whatever a team is willing to pay him and if the Leafs pay him $10M for 5 years I'd be happy. Conversely if an offer sheet comes in for $10.5M for 5 years, if I was a Leafs fan I'd be pissed if they don't match. But hey, you can side with that front office that hasn't brought Toronto a cup for 52+ years.

Exactly and there are so many Leaf fans trying to justify that Marner should be getting the paid the same amount as Nylander. Nylander before signing the contract played with the most talented and dynamic centre on the team, Matthews. Yet he only notched 61 points as a career high. Marner on the other hand, played with Bozak and Kadri, 2 centres with significantly less talent than Matthews yet he still managed 61 and 70 points respectively, so this already puts him ahead of Nylander. Last season, Marner played with Tavares, a complete play driving centre forward but he’s still no Matthews. Marner notched 94 points, 33 more than Nylander’s career best. Also, Marner has a better all round game and more raw talent. His stick handling, dekes, dangling, creativity and vision are all superior to the Swede. That should reasonably put him higher than Nylander by a good margin. Also, I see Marner working relentlessly away from the puck, using his speed and taking hits to win battles. With Nylander, I see no such thing. Whenever he doesn’t have the puck he just floats around or skates off. Talk about being lazy yet people don’t understand why Nylander gets hate yet Marner doesn’t. You just look at the efforts they put in and I think it’s justified.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 12:21 p.m.
Exactly and there are

Exactly and there are so many Leaf fans trying to justify that Marner should be getting the paid the same amount as Nylander. Nylander before signing the contract played with the most talented and dynamic centre on the team, Matthews. Yet he only notched 61 points as a career high. Marner on the other hand, played with Bozak and Kadri, 2 centres with significantly less talent than Matthews yet he still managed 61 and 70 points respectively, so this already puts him ahead of Nylander. Last season, Marner played with Tavares, a complete play driving centre forward but he’s still no Matthews. Marner notched 94 points, 33 more than Nylander’s career best. Also, Marner has a better all round game and more raw talent. His stick handling, dekes, dangling, creativity and vision are all superior to the Swede. That should reasonably put him higher than Nylander by a good margin. Also, I see Marner working relentlessly away from the puck, using his speed and taking hits to win battles. With Nylander, I see no such thing. Whenever he doesn’t have the puck he just floats around or skates off. Talk about being lazy yet people don’t understand why Nylander gets hate yet Marner doesn’t. You just look at the efforts they put in and I think it’s justified.

Now now. Anyone that compares Marner and Nylander should be committed. Although in Nylander's defense, his two way game is somewhat underrated. He will top out where his dad was...... and that isn't bad. And really, last year was a write off.
2019-20 is gonna be the test of that contract.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 12:33 p.m.
Totally agree with the thread starter but do believe he’s worth a bit more.

Those wanting to compare the ppg stats, c’mon Aho centres a line of lesser talent, Marner is on the wing with JT.

To this day I blame Hunter from the start for whispering in Marners ear that he’d be a centre in the NHL someday. He’s a winger & 1. Father 2. Agent has him shooting for the fences.

If he thinks he’s worth Matthews money, give him Matthews money.

6 year term
9.695mil/yr

There’s your Matthews money take it or leave it, but at a term that works for the Leafs.

Until the signed offer sheets presented there’s no other conversation.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:02 p.m.
exo2769
The most dangerous thing a team can do is Offer Sheet $1 less than (4) 1sts. I think MB should just continue to make waves. Offer Sheet everyone...although do it better than Aho's Offer Sheet. All he did was do CAR a favor. We can argue all we want about who provides more to their team...Aho...Marner. I can see both sides. Aho has 1 season as a #1C and did a REALLY good job. Marner is a pure winger and has a ton of talent...more talent. That's kinda besides the point to me. CAR had a ton of extra cap and is was a poor attempt at an offersheet. TOR and TBL don't have cap luxury. Make a real run at Marner and Point. Put the pressure on TOR and TBL.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:07 p.m.
Quoting: Plumber
Totally agree with the thread starter but do believe he’s worth a bit more.

Those wanting to compare the ppg stats, c’mon Aho centres a line of lesser talent, Marner is on the wing with JT.

To this day I blame Hunter from the start for whispering in Marners ear that he’d be a centre in the NHL someday. He’s a winger & 1. Father 2. Agent has him shooting for the fences.

If he thinks he’s worth Matthews money, give him Matthews money.

6 year term
9.695mil/yr

There’s your Matthews money take it or leave it, but at a term that works for the Leafs.

Until the signed offer sheets presented there’s no other conversation.

Because Teuvo and Svechnikov aren't good? Turbo had 76 points and is a stud, Svechnikov as a 19 year old kid put up 37 points I believe....not bad in his first season and played in the dirty areas. I would think that line is pretty good no?
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:30 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
So you think that Marner’s camp is going to okay with Nylander and Matthews being paid more than their market value whereas Marner gets less or equivalent? Also, it’s not just about the stats. Marner has more raw talent. His skating, agility, vision, creativity, puck skills are all better.

Oh no I sure Marner "isn't OK with it.", when he sees the salaries of Matthews and Nylander. But tell me what are Marner's options, then is going to get him an optimum price....let's say 12.m?
I'd be welcome to see any offer sheet from any ACGM...and their roster for this seasons and the following season, because all other teams...besides Ottawa would have to selling assets to fit Marner in the summer of 2020.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 7:25 p.m.
BC
The Leafs are not going to match anything above 10.5 million AAV.

I believe they will depending upon the term. The Leafs move 1 player that makes 3 mill and they can match any offer sheet up to 12.5 mill
Jul. 7, 2019 at 7:29 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: brendanchisholm98
I believe they will depending upon the term. The Leafs move 1 player that makes 3 mill and they can match any offer sheet up to 12.5 mill

Nope they are not going to move a 3 million dollar third line to resign Marner. The Leafs would rather have three 3 million dollar players than one player of Mitch Marner’s caliber because they believe in quantity over quality.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:29 p.m.
BC
Nope they are not going to move a 3 million dollar third line to resign Marner. The Leafs would rather have three 3 million dollar players than one player of Mitch Marner’s caliber because they believe in quantity over quality.

I disagree
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:33 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: brendanchisholm98
I disagree

The Leafs do not want to make moves to make room for Marner. Kerfoot, Johnsson and Kapanen are all more willing to playing for the Leafs the hometown boy.
Jul. 8, 2019 at 1:55 p.m.
BC
The Leafs do not want to make moves to make room for Marner. Kerfoot, Johnsson and Kapanen are all more willing to playing for the Leafs the hometown boy.

Want has nothing to do with it. The Leafs dont want to be forced into trading anyone. They clearly have a dollar figure in mind in regards to Marner and i am 100% positive it falls within their current cap space minus the Horton contract which is just north of 9million. However if another team offer sheets it will throw that figure out into left field. The leafs will do everything within their power to match any offer sheet and keep him. My number is 12.5 mill over 7. Leafs match anything below this in both dollar value and term.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll