Forums/Armchair-GM

Mitch Matched SammyT

Created by: exo2769
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 7, 2019
Published: Jul. 7, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
If a team were to offer sheet Mitch...there are tough decisions to be made.

If Horton is LTIR before Day 1...ok fine. TOR can indeed get under the cap. BUT trading during the season is improbable. Listen to a real GM talk about his LTIR situation below.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/chicago-blackhawks/why-placing-marian-hossa-long-term-injured-reserve-wouldnt-help-blackhawks-cap

I really think Dubas' goal is to hope no offer sheet comes and then Day 2 work something out with Marner. Horton/Hyman can go on LTIR and there's space available. Or heck, even give him more time to look for other trade outlets for a Cody Ceci.

Making adjustments during the season are vital when making a push for the cup. I don't think Dubas is would go into the season knowing he's got almost no options.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
5$10,568,588
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$80,240,787$0$0$1,259,213
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,568,588$10,568,588
RW
UFA - 6
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:22 p.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Im sure he is hoping that offersheet is not there. I believe the offersheet from some team to Marner was already presented and rejected. I believe no offersheet to marner happens! As you showed here, it is possible to get them under the roof, but it would be tough! I believe Mitch would sign the second 1st game of the season ends before 2nd game. They can fit it there nicely and it would be under 10. But offersheet treath is real, which means that it would be harder on our cap. But its possible to have it done, which shows amazing job by Dubas to pull clearing out like he did.
exo2769 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:25 p.m.
If it takes that much to sign Marner, they should sign him and trade him to Arizona or so. There are people in sports who are taking less money for being on a championship caliber team. Tom Brady is the best example. I am wondering why they are a championship caliber team in the last 20 years, while a team like the Leafs did not have a competitive team in 30 years. Fancy moves and a high pay check may animate a lot of people to create youtube videos, but it does not bring you a cup
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:25 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: SammyT_51
Im sure he is hoping that offersheet is not there. I believe the offersheet from some team to Marner was already presented and rejected. I believe no offersheet to marner happens! As you showed here, it is possible to get them under the roof, but it would be tough! I believe Mitch would sign the second 1st game of the season ends before 2nd game. They can fit it there nicely and it would be under 10. But offersheet treath is real, which means that it would be harder on our cap. But its possible to have it done, which shows amazing job by Dubas to pull clearing out like he did.

Yeah, if there's a pre-arrangement TODAY that there's an agreed upon contract that works for both sides...give Dubas credit for sure. He's helped Marner understand that Winning is more important that the highest offer. however, if this happens in the summer...I'm not so sure Dubas is doing the right thing. It's a VERY tough spot to be in, but being stuck all season is risky. If it works out...worth the risk, if it doesn't TOR fans are going to be livid and blame him for handcuffing the team in the summer. Tough spot. It's fun to talk about.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:26 p.m.
Jangle29
It doesn't even matter anymore. There's nothing else to think about. Its as simple as
1. A team will have to overpay on an OS to get him
2. If Marner signs the offer sheet he is as good as gone to the eyes of the leaf management, and also will be too overpaid to refuse the 4 1st round picks.
There is nothing to consider anymore. It's 500 degrees out and summer time so let's all just let this idiot agent do whatever he wants and see how it plays out. I'm sure this is how the management is thinking also
exo2769 and blowing_the_zone liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:27 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Gordon_Bombay
If it takes that much to sign Marner, they should sign him and trade him to Arizona or so. There are people in sports who are taking less money for being on a championship caliber team. Tom Brady is the best example. I am wondering why they are a championship caliber team in the last 20 years, while a team like the Leafs did not have a competitive team in 30 years. Fancy moves and a high pay check may animate a lot of people to create youtube videos, but it does not bring you a cup

Can't compare Brady. Football deals get made and unmade every single year. Brady gets more guaranteed money by renegotiating his contract. NHL/NBA/MLB contracts are set once you sign...and they're all guaranteed.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:28 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: Jangle29
It doesn't even matter anymore. There's nothing else to think about. Its as simple as
1. A team will have to overpay on an OS to get him
2. If Marner signs the offer sheet he is as good as gone to the eyes of the leaf management, and also will be too overpaid to refuse the 4 1st round picks.
There is nothing to consider anymore. It's 500 degrees out and summer time so let's all just let this idiot agent do whatever he wants and see how it plays out. I'm sure this is how the management is thinking also

Agreed with the caveat that a team should offer $1 single dollar less that the (4) 1sts. That's the hard part. Marner is CLEARLY better than (2) randon 1sts (1) 2nd and (1) 3rd
ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:29 p.m.
Jangle29
Quoting: exo2769
Agreed with the caveat that a team should offer $1 single dollar less that the (4) 1sts. That's the hard part. Marner is CLEARLY better than (2) randon 1sts (1) 2nd and (1) 3rd

Leafs would match so I don't think a team even considers it
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:30 p.m.

Let's be honest though; it's been 52+ years since the Leafs hoisted a cup and how many years since they were in the finals? What if a team like Colorado were to offer sheet Marner, do you not think he considers that? Colorado, if they play their cards right, may have the best team in the league for the foreseeable.
exo2769 and Gordon_Bombay liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:31 p.m.
Jangle29
Honestly this OS talk is still ridiculous. The only reason Aho was looked at was a PR move out of desperation. Lose out on Tavares. Then Duchene. Then Points agents laughs at the idea.
First minute of the areas conference was "I hope the fans see we want to do whatever it takes to get better
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:32 p.m.
exo2769
Leafs would match so I don't think a team even considers it

Ok so the leafs match it. Let's think about step 2, 3 and 4. How do you get cap compliant??? You can't just send Horton to LTIR unless you're willing to make zero transactions throughout the year. Is it possible yeah, but the ability to make moves during the season is huge.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:33 p.m.
Jangle29
Quoting: ChiHawk
Let's be honest though; it's been 52+ years since the Leafs hoisted a cup and how many years since they were in the finals? What if a team like Colorado were to offer sheet Marner, do you not think he considers that? Colorado, if they play their cards right, may have the best team in the league for the foreseeable.

But it won't happen. Even if they were insane enough to do one they would loom at others before Marner I bet. He's not worth the 11-13 mil you would have to give him. Then you are stuck with that and a salary structure that tells other players they can be overpaid
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:34 p.m.
exo2769
But it won't happen. Even if they were insane enough to do one they would loom at others before Marner I bet. He's not worth the 11-13 mil you would have to give him. Then you are stuck with that and a salary structure that tells other players they can be overpaid

That ship sailed with Nylander though.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:37 p.m.
Can't compare Brady. Football deals get made and unmade every single year. Brady gets more guaranteed money by renegotiating his contract. NHL/NBA/MLB contracts are set once you sign...and they're all guaranteed.

I know. But Brady is by far not the best payed player in the league because he cares more about winning than he does about his salary. The principle is the same. Some players care about winning more than they do about money. I have to say it because I hate Boston. But their top players could have gotten much richer. The same can be said for some other teams. Guess who is competitive for many years now?

Many of the most best teams do not have the richest players
exo2769 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:41 p.m.
I know. But Brady is by far not the best payed player in the league because he cares more about winning than he does about his salary. The principle is the same. Some players care about winning more than they do about money. I have to say it because I hate Boston. But their top players could have gotten much richer. The same can be said for some other teams. Guess who is competitive for many years now?

Many of the most best teams do not have the richest players

That's not necessarily true. Sure guys may take a haircut for a year or two but when you're talking about 5+ year contracts that are guaranteed it's a different story. Marner wants to get paid on a short term contract, it's the best move for him to keep his options open as a UFA as soon as possible. That is worth more then an extra $1M a year.
exo2769 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:43 p.m.
Jangle29
Ok so the leafs match it. Let's think about step 2, 3 and 4. How do you get cap compliant??? You can't just send Horton to LTIR unless you're willing to make zero transactions throughout the year. Is it possible yeah, but the ability to make moves during the season is huge.

Can run a 22 or 21 man roster if they want. Marlies right down the street. Trade Ceci. Once it happens I think they already have it figured out and will act.
exo2769 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:43 p.m.

Which is the point of this post. As I've been saying for a couple months, $10.56M x 5 years is the magic number. No team is going to give up (4) 1sts plus the money for Marner, but I'm betting there are teams that will do $10.5M x 5 years. Leafs can match and I believe they should but Marner is using that threat as leverage.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:44 p.m.

I almost agree with almost everything you say. But there is one question. MacKinnon is making 6.3 and is a much better player than Marner. I think no one would rather have Marner than MacKinnon. If they sign Marner for that much, Rantanen will ask for the same, MacKinnon for much more once his contract is up. Then they have one line with maybe 34m cap. And there goes your mid time future.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:44 p.m.
exo2769
Can run a 22 or 21 man roster if they want. Marlies right down the street. Trade Ceci. Once it happens I think they already have it figured out and will act.

Yeah, I 100% agree with this. Trade Ceci can help a lot.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.

I'm under the impression that a team can go 10% over the cap in the offseason without penalty. If that's correct that's a 8.1M cushion the leafs have until Horton goes back to the island and then they still compliant.

Like jangle posted, there's really nothing to worry about. An offer has been tabled by the leafs, the they have x amount of space to pay Mitch, if he doesn't like it he can sign an OS, which the leafs will match upto the 4 firsts threshold (and I really doubt any team goes over that, and if they do, the leafs take the picks and cap space), the leafs absorb upto 10.5M OS hit (which other teams know, so why even do the OS?) or marner can sit. His game of chicken is running out options.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:45 p.m.
Jangle29
That ship sailed with Nylander though.

If you call being over paid 300k then ok. Because his exact comparables said he was in the 6.6-6.7 range. Nylander is a lot better than non leaf fans who just look at a stat sheet and think they know. Or leaf fans who are cavemen and want players to just check everyone.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:47 p.m.
Jangle29
Which is the point of this post. As I've been saying for a couple months, $10.56M x 5 years is the magic number. No team is going to give up (4) 1sts plus the money for Marner, but I'm betting there are teams that will do $10.5M x 5 years. Leafs can match and I believe they should but Marner is using that threat as leverage.

Can't be 10.5 x5 that's 4 1sts. Would have to be 4 years which every team knows leafs woukd match and they wouldn't consider it. People cam believe it or not but these GMs won't OS unless they 100% know they will get the player to not piss people off

Bingo. And other teams know that the leafs will match, so it seems like an empty threat. Why would any team pony up an OS at that amount when they know the leafs match it? Everyone saw how MB came out on his OS attempt
Jangle29 liked this.
exo2769
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
I'm under the impression that a team can go 10% over the cap in the offseason without penalty. If that's correct that's a 8.1M cushion the leafs have until Horton goes back to the island and then they still compliant.

Like jangle posted, there's really nothing to worry about. An offer has been tabled by the leafs, the they have x amount of space to pay Mitch, if he doesn't like it he can sign an OS, which the leafs will match upto the 4 firsts threshold (and I really doubt any team goes over that, and if they do, the leafs take the picks and cap space), the leafs absorb upto 10.5M OS hit (which other teams know, so why even do the OS?) or marner can sit. His game of chicken is running out options.

You're right, but also not considering all the factors. You're right that a team can indeed be 10% over the cap without penalty....until day 1. Every team needs to go a full 24 hours being cap compliant. So AFTER day 1...day 2...Horton can be sent down, but TOR needs to be complaint on the 1st day. There are (2) ways to get compliant. Now go to the link in the description to understand the 2 ways...and the pros cons of doing both.
ChiHawk liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:48 p.m.
I almost agree with almost everything you say. But there is one question. MacKinnon is making 6.3 and is a much better player than Marner. I think no one would rather have Marner than MacKinnon. If they sign Marner for that much, Rantanen will ask for the same, MacKinnon for much more once his contract is up. Then they have one line with maybe 34m cap. And there goes your mid time future.

Good point but you've got MacKinnon locked up for 4 more years...he's also on one of the best deals in the league.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 2:48 p.m.
exo2769
Quoting: blowing_the_zone
Bingo. And other teams know that the leafs will match, so it seems like an empty threat. Why would any team pony up an OS at that amount when they know the leafs match it? Everyone saw how MB came out on his OS attempt

Because it really hurts them if TOR matches the offer sheet in the summer. TOR has 1 week to match an offer sheet.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll