Forums/Armchair-GM

if he asks for too much

Created by: PrimeDatsyuk
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 7, 2019
Published: Jul. 7, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Would be a dream trade, i'm not sure whether or not the blues would do it but who knows. As much as I love Mitch and want him to stay, he has to demand less or else the leafs should look into trading him.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$4,000,000
Trades
STL
  1. Ceci, Cody
  2. Marner, Mitchell [RFA Rights]
  3. 2021 4th round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. Gusev, Nikita [RFA Rights]
VGK
  1. Bracco, Jeremy
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
TOR
  1. 2020 5th round pick (TOR)
  2. 2021 2nd round pick (FLA)
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the FLA
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$75,573,032$0$0$5,926,968
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$863,333$863,333
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 7, 2019 at 7:17 p.m.
Blues heavily decline.

Marner is overrated enough nothing over 9.5M is worth it for him. Parayko is our best Defenseman we would ask for Marner+ if you want Parayko. Kostin is one of our best prospects, and we would rather keep one of our best Prospects, and our best Defenseman rather than get a Winger who was carried by John Tavares the entire season. He won't do any good here so hard no from me.

@Chopper02 @rja40 @BluesBandit @mokumboi you can have at your own opinions, but
FB_IMG_1561655716479.png

^This shows me all I need to know.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 7:44 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Blues heavily decline.

Marner is overrated enough nothing over 9.5M is worth it for him. Parayko is our best Defenseman we would ask for Marner+ if you want Parayko. Kostin is one of our best prospects, and we would rather keep one of our best Prospects, and our best Defenseman rather than get a Winger who was carried by John Tavares the entire season. He won't do any good here so hard no from me.

FB_IMG_1561655716479.png

You are an idiot, by just saying that Marner is overrated makes me wonder how many brain cells you’ve got. Of course Tavares’ all round game helps Marner drive possession better but to say that he entirely gets carried by Tavares is beyond stupid. It’s like you’re putting Marner in the same category as Sheary and Maroon. Marner is an elite winger in his own right with tremendous amount of individual skill. His skating, agility, speed, stick handling, puck skills, poise, elegance, creativity and vision are world class. He just needs to work on his decision making and hockey sense, but as he matures with experience, it will improve as will his possession numbers. I do think the Leafs would have to add at least a first round pick with Marner in attempts of landing Parayko, but to call him an overrated piece of garbage is just ridiculous, clearly you can’t analyze a player’s skill and abilities. Stats and metrics don’t tell the whole story.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 7:47 p.m.
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
You are an idiot, by just saying that Marner is overrated makes me wonder how many brain cells you’ve got. Of course Tavares’ all round game helps Marner drive possession better but to say that he entirely gets carried by Tavares is beyond stupid. It’s like you’re putting Marner in the same category as Sheary and Maroon. Marner is an elite winger in his own right with tremendous amount of individual skill. His skating, agility, speed, stick handling, puck skills, poise, elegance, creativity and vision are world class. He just needs to work on his decision making and hockey sense, but as he matures with experience, it will improve as will his possession numbers. I do think the Leafs would have to add at least a first round pick with Marner in attempts of landing Parayko, but to call him an overrated piece of garbage is just ridiculous, clearly you can’t analyze a player’s skill and abilities. Stats and metrics don’t tell the whole story.

Have you actually taken a dive down into his advanced stats or are you just trying to belittle me because you are apart of the Mitch Marner fan club????
Sign_em_up000000 and SammyT_51 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 7:49 p.m.

And I never called him garbage, I said HE WOULD NOT DO GOOD HERE, MEANING ST.LOUIS because he doesn't have JOHN FREAKIN TAVARES. He won't have anyone to lean on, and here is your "own ice proof" go watch the God Damn first round against Boston then come talk to me about how he is so good....
Jul. 7, 2019 at 7:59 p.m.

And let's see some advanced stats shall we.

CF% Between Tarasenko our best Winger, and Marner the guy who is in your fan club

CF% for Tarasenko 53.23%
CF% for Marner 52.04%

Relative CF% for Tarasenko 3.09%
Relative CF% for Marner 0.38%

Let's go with Relative Expected Goals For Percentage or xGF%

Rel xGF% for Tarasenko 2.4%
Rel xGF% for Marner 1.63%

Lets look at the Quality of Teammate v Quality of Competition ratio

Tarasenko .77
Marner 1.41

Which means what oh yeah that Marner's teammates are better at carrying....51.59 QoT

Tarasenko 50.93

Individual Expected Goals For Tarasenko 16.4
Marner 12.05

xGF% for Tarasenko 55.14
xGF% for Marner 52.89

So Marner wants 10.5/11M or use Tarasenko at 7.5M who has played better and doesn't need to be carried by a Center like John Tavares.

And you said I was the idiot...
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:03 p.m.

It's not in the best Interest of Doug Armstrong to become another Peter Chiarelli, so let's just end this right now. Team is fine how it is Parayko untouchable, Nylander, and Marner. We don't want them. We won a cup without them, and beat Boston who you couldn't so leave it at Blues have no need in Toronto players. This will never get done because Blues would need too much for Parayko, and Toronto wants too much for Marner...so just leave it at that "idiot".
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:07 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Have you actually taken a dive down into his advanced stats or are you just trying to belittle me because you are apart of the Mitch Marner fan club????

You are just another one of those stat merchants who think that metrics are everything. I have seen following Marner since his junior days in London. The main issue in his game is that he always tries to get crafty with the puck and sometimes gets stuck in his own end because he can’t make the simple play. This has started to improve especially in the past season, obviously with the help of Tavares but he has started to play smarter with the puck. So no doubt his advanced stats will improve. There are many highly skilled forwards that have poor possession numbers early on in their career, but are they garbage? By your logic, Conor Sheary (53% CF) would be better than Mitch Marner (39%) because he has better advanced stats.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:08 p.m.
mokumboi
Blues laugh and hang up. Not only is this trade terrible in player value, but the Blues would need to take on an extra $8M in cap spendings. Nope, not even remotely close.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:09 p.m.
Edited Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:23 p.m.
Blues heavily decline.

FB_IMG_1561655716479.png

The Corsi link really is telling. The thing I noticed first is just how good a player John Tavares truly is. I know that is stating the obvious, but it's pretty cool to see the statistics support it. The second aspect certainly supports Beast's assessment as Marner being over-valued, especially at what his asking price is. I'm not sure where you got this link @BeastModeUnknown , but I'd like to know. I'd actually love to see a side-by-side of Marner and Perron. Finally, the quantifiable symbiosis that Tavares and Marner show really supports the idea that Toronto should do what they can to keep Marner, but the hard salary cap appears to be doing what it was intended to do. Good stuff, Beast.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:10 p.m.
You are just another one of those stat merchants who think that metrics are everything. I have seen following Marner since his junior days in London. The main issue in his game is that he always tries to get crafty with the puck and sometimes gets stuck in his own end because he can’t make the simple play. This has started to improve especially in the past season, obviously with the help of Tavares but he has started to play smarter with the puck. So no doubt his advanced stats will improve. There are many highly skilled forwards that have poor possession numbers early on in their career, but are they garbage? By your logic, Conor Sheary (53% CF) would be better than Mitch Marner (39%) because he has better advanced stats.

A defensive liability, and maybe an above average offensive player doesn't make him a Top 5 Winger. But I would expect the Marner Boyscout group to call him the greatest. So just leave me alone. Casual Fans are basically the boring ones who have no clue what they are talking about.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:11 p.m.
Quoting: rja40
The Corsi link really is telling. The thing I noticed first is just how good a player John Tavares truly is. I know that is stating the obvious, but it's pretty cool to see the statistics support it. The second aspect certainly supports Beast's assessment as Marner being over-valued, especially at what his asking price is. I'm not sure where you got this link @BeastModeUnknown , but I'd like to know. I'd actually love to see a side-by-side of Marner and Perron.Finally, the quantifiable symbiosis that Tavares and Marner show really supports the idea that Toronto should do what they can to keep Marner, but the hard salary cap appears to be doing what it was intended to do. Good stuff, Beast.

Corsica.hockey easiest one to look at....
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:12 p.m.
The Corsi link really is telling. The thing I noticed first is just how good a player John Tavares truly is. I know that is stating the obvious, but it's pretty cool to see the statistics support it. The second aspect certainly supports Beast's assessment as Marner being over-valued, especially at what his asking price is. I'm not sure where you got this link @BeastModeUnknown , but I'd like to know. I'd actually love to see a side-by-side of Marner and Perron.Finally, the quantifiable symbiosis that Tavares and Marner show really supports the idea that Toronto should do what they can to keep Marner, but the hard salary cap appears to be doing what it was intended to do. Good stuff, Beast.

http://www.corsica.hockey/
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:14 p.m.

I'll be the first to tell ya Marner is on another level than Perron...
Sign_em_up000000 and rja40 liked this.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:14 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
And let's see some advanced stats shall we.

CF% Between Tarasenko our best Winger, and Marner the guy who is in your fan club

CF% for Tarasenko 53.23%
CF% for Marner 52.04%

Relative CF% for Tarasenko 3.09%
Relative CF% for Marner 0.38%

Let's go with Relative Expected Goals For Percentage or xGF%

Rel xGF% for Tarasenko 2.4%
Rel xGF% for Marner 1.63%

Lets look at the Quality of Teammate v Quality of Competition ratio

Tarasenko .77
Marner 1.41

Which means what oh yeah that Marner's teammates are better at carrying....51.59 QoT

Tarasenko 50.93

Individual Expected Goals For Tarasenko 16.4
Marner 12.05

xGF% for Tarasenko 55.14
xGF% for Marner 52.89

So Marner wants 10.5/11M or use Tarasenko at 7.5M who has played better and doesn't need to be carried by a Center like John Tavares.

And you said I was the idiot...

It's not in the best Interest of Doug Armstrong to become another Peter Chiarelli, so let's just end this right now. Team is fine how it is Parayko untouchable, Nylander, and Marner. We don't want them. We won a cup without them, and beat Boston who you couldn't so leave it at Blues have no need in Toronto players. This will never get done because Blues would need too much for Parayko, and Toronto wants too much for Marner...so just leave it at that "idiot".

I would like to ask what was the highest level of ice hockey you’ve played, because judging by your heavy reliance on advanced stats, you probably haven’t had much experience. Also, don’t get cocky that the Blues won the cup. At least the Leafs outplayed the Bruins at 5v5, the Blues got outplayed and outchanced by the Bruins. This year’s Blues team is extremely overrated compared to previous cup winning teams. They won because they got into their opponents’ faces with their intimidation, aggravation, heaviness, grit and physicality. The 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins were far better than this team, you cannot deny it.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:16 p.m.
I would like to ask what was the highest level of ice hockey you’ve played, because judging by your heavy reliance on advanced stats, you probably haven’t had much experience. Also, don’t get cocky that the Blues won the cup. At least the Leafs outplayed the Bruins at 5v5, the Blues got outplayed and outchanced by the Bruins. This year’s Blues team is extremely overrated compared to previous cup winning teams. They won because they got into their opponents’ faces with their intimidation, aggravation, heaviness, grit and physicality. The 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins were far better than this team, you cannot deny it.

Not really. Blues were better 5v5 for about 4-5 Games of the Series, we were just outclassed in Special Teams, but you wouldn't know that because you didn't watch. I actually coach Hockey, and 2 I played Juniors. Good Luck with your statements just trying to get at me because Blues won. Have fun with your rebuild in CBJ kid.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:17 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
A defensive liability, and maybe an above average offensive player doesn't make him a Top 5 Winger. But I would expect the Marner Boyscout group to call him the greatest. So just leave me alone. Casual Fans are basically the boring ones who have no clue what they are talking about.

So based off your advanced metrics, Nylander would be a better player than Marner, plus he is not a defensive liability since his possession numbers are better? Give me a break.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:18 p.m.

Winnipeg would say otherwise with Jaden Schwartz's hattrick. Dallas wouldn't say that because Binnington Robbed Dallas of multiple Goals. San Jose just sucked when it came to playing against us Physically Sure. Boston we weren't physical as normal, we controlled a lot of the 5v5 play, and especially with O'Reilly getting into the dirty areas of the Goal, and Tarasenko with some tough sniping, and 1 goal that should be called back no doubt. But yeah, I can tell you don't watch hockey lol......have fun learning kid..
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:19 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
Not really. Blues were better 5v5 for about 4-5 Games of the Series, we were just outclassed in Special Teams, but you wouldn't know that because you didn't watch. I actually coach Hockey, and 2 I played Juniors. Good Luck with your statements just trying to get at me because Blues won. Have fun with your rebuild in CBJ kid.

I will say this. This St Louis Blues cup winning team is no where near as impressive as the 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins. How can we compare a team that relies on heaviness, grit and intimidation to a team that dominated using speed, skill and creativity? The Penguins played much more beautiful hockey during their run. Plus they won much more convincingly as they outplayed every team in possession, offensive zone time, shots and chances created. The Blues were no where near as capable in carrying the play compared to the Penguins. There shouldn’t be any debate over this, anyone with hockey knowledge will admit that the Penguins’ 2016 cup was the true definition of how hockey should be played. They were clean, disciplined, fast, skillful and creative with their play style. Totally on a different level.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:20 p.m.
Marner is an elite winger in his own right with tremendous amount of individual skill. His skating, agility, speed, stick handling, puck skills, poise, elegance, creativity and vision are world class. He just needs to work on his decision making and hockey sense, but as he matures with experience, it will improve as will his possession numbers.

This I certainly agree with. However, name-calling doesn't enhance your solid assessment quoted above. Marner is a top-flight winger, but what Beast is saying isn't that Marner is "garbage." I do not see that in his quote. He simply is making the assertion that Marner's value is improved somewhat significantly by playing with John Tavares, and the blues do not have a John Tavares on their team.

This isn't really a false set of statements. The numbers prove Marner increases his value aside Tavares. It is also fairly clear that Ryan O'Reilly is not as good as John Tavares, and Marner's output likely isn't as good for the Blues as it would be for the Leafs. I do disagree with Beast's statement that "Marner wouldn't do any good (in St. Louis.)" As I quoted you above, Marner is a considerable talent, and I think he would do well on any team. However, Marner - like any other NHL winger - is obviously going to be better when he plays next to superstar talent. The Blues don't really have any super-stars...just a team full of very good players.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:21 p.m.
Go **** yourself ****. I hope someone takes a ****ing gun and shoots your head off, you don’t play AAA like me. If you were a good hockey player, you’d be able to analyze more with the eye test than misleading advanced metrics. Marner makes mistakes but he is the furthest thing from a liability.

On Defense he is a liability you can ask Toronto fans such as @SammyT_51 @Jamiepo @Juice probably a couple others I haven't mentioned, but he is a defensive Liability. AAA don't mean anything. Being a AAA Water boy literally means nothing, or being a AAA Bench Warmer who got maybe a minute of ice time means nothing. I played Juniors as a Goalie, and quit because of an ACL tear.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:23 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
On Defense he is a liability you can ask Toronto fans such as @SammyT_51 @Jamiepo @Juice probably a couple others I haven't mentioned, but he is a defensive Liability. AAA don't mean anything. Being a AAA Water boy literally means nothing, or being a AAA Bench Warmer who got maybe a minute of ice time means nothing. I played Juniors as a Goalie, and quit because of an ACL tear.

I was a second line left winger in AAA. That’s better than what you’ve accomplished in the sport.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:24 p.m.

Thank you, sir!
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:24 p.m.
I will say this. This St Louis Blues cup winning team is no where near as impressive as the 2016 Pittsburgh Penguins. How can we compare a team that relies on heaviness, grit and intimidation to a team that dominated using speed, skill and creativity? The Penguins played much more beautiful hockey during their run. Plus they won much more convincingly as they outplayed every team in possession, offensive zone time, shots and chances created. The Blues were no where near as capable in carrying the play compared to the Penguins. There shouldn’t be any debate over this, anyone with hockey knowledge will admit that the Penguins’ 2016 cup was the true definition of how hockey should be played. They were clean, disciplined, fast, skillful and creative with their play style. Totally on a different level.

okay we get it you despise the Blues, go punch a wall or something because saying Blues didnt win the cup because we weren't as good on 5v5 or because you are butthurt I am saying Marner is overrated. Overrated can mean many things, he is good no doubt, but to say he is worth almost as much as Tavares, and to say that he is a Top 5 Winger in the League right now. Is False dramatically false at this point in time, because he is carried by Tavares we don't have a Tavares esk player on our team, and it becomes important that we would have to have that type of ability on the team to get the "marner form" you think he is without Tavares, and that's just not something blues are interested in.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:27 p.m.
I was a second line left winger in AAA. That’s better than what you’ve accomplished in the sport.

I played Goalie in Hockey, Played Soccer as Team Captain, Played Basketball as starting Shooting Guard, played football as QB, WR, RB, CB, LB, and S. Also played Kicker and Punter because we didn't have one, played Short Stop in Baseball. We both have our own achievements. I'm a grown up, I'm not going to try and out do you right now kid lol. That's the last thing I need to do when you are the one playing defense right now saying oh Marner is so good. You aren't going to change my mind, and you won't change most people's minds when I have proof on my side, and the other point is that Physically in playoffs that's more proof that shows exactly why I say he is overrated.
Jul. 7, 2019 at 8:29 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
okay we get it you despise the Blues, go punch a wall or something because saying Blues didnt win the cup because we weren't as good on 5v5 or because you are butthurt I am saying Marner is overrated. Overrated can mean many things, he is good no doubt, but to say he is worth almost as much as Tavares, and to say that he is a Top 5 Winger in the League right now. Is False dramatically false at this point in time, because he is carried by Tavares we don't have a Tavares esk player on our team, and it becomes important that we would have to have that type of ability on the team to get the "marner form" you think he is without Tavares, and that's just not something blues are interested in.

No one is saying pay Marner the same amount as Matthews or Tavares. But surely he is an elite right winger who deserves to make more money than Nylander.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll