Forums/Armchair-GM

Marner needs to can his representation

Created by: Birtle34
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 9, 2019
Published: Jul. 9, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I personally don’t know marner, but I’m going on the belief, that he will always have a residence in Toronto, for life. So my question is wouldn’t it be smart to grab the biggest number and biggest term offered, and then negotiate with bell and Rogers to be on every commercial forever more, and this goes back to his number from the team, don’t get too crazy with that because the endorsements will be where the real money is especially if there’s a winner in the works. Give your head a shake marner, and leave some dough for some help to be successful
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
24$81,500,000$77,772,199$0$0$3,727,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 9, 2019 at 6:53 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
He can have 1mil cap hit for 20 years and make more than someone with 10+mil dollar cap hit for 15 years due to endorsements and commercials.
Sign_em_up000000 and oneX liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 6:59 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: SammyT_51
He can have 1mil cap hit for 20 years and make more than someone with 10+mil dollar cap hit for 15 years due to endorsements and commercials.

That’s what I’m saying, take kucherovs 9.25 x 8 and I’m sure bell and Rogers are falling all over themselves to match that on endorsements, and away ya go. Possibly get you a 2 million dollar winger to ride shotgun with you and Tavares, over the possibility of finding a new home where you may get your 11.5 or whatever the number is, but the endorsements would definitely change also. Depending on location, I don’t think anywhere else quite competes with a hometown leaf
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:00 a.m.
AAAHHH !!! FIRE !!!!
Hard to fire daddy dearest.

But, I do agree he needs a good agent who is neutral emotionally in this situation but also capable of knowing his real worth and also how/what the team needs and can do to fit him in.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:01 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: SammyT_51

And then if it goes bad in Toronto he’s third on the list to get the finger pointed at
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:04 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Maj
Hard to fire daddy dearest.

But, I do agree he needs a good agent who is neutral emotionally in this situation but also capable of knowing his real worth and also how/what the team needs and can do to fit him in.

Just imagine the doors that would open in Toronto, if they could put a winner together, they were ready to hand the town to a la born Kawhi a one year raptor after a championship.
Sign_em_up000000 and Maj liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:06 a.m.
Agree with everyone on this thread. When wil this stupidity end! And Maj is right Marner needs a new agent, he should look too his good buddy John Tavares for helpsmile
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:07 a.m.
ComYog
This is true for every high profile player... but you Mathews and Tavares didnt have the same pressure to make it

Its similar to your boss asking you to take a 20% pay cut but you could make that back by spending time working a second job.

Why all the hate on Marner, He is great, pay him as such or trade him.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:08 a.m.
Quoting: Birtle34
Just imagine the doors that would open in Toronto, if they could put a winner together, they were ready to hand the town to a la born Kawhi a one year raptor after a championship.[/quotlook

Marner cares more about money then winning! Or at least thats what it seems like at this point??
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:09 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: ComYog
This is true for every high profile player... but you Mathews and Tavares didnt have the same pressure to make it

Its similar to your boss asking you to take a 20% pay cut but you could make that back by spending time working a second job.

It’s not hate, just commenting on short sighted view of things, longer the hold out the more the shine comes off marner, warranted or not, I just see a few million now and a possible change of locations, could cost multi millions in the future.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:10 a.m.
Just imagine the doors that would open in Toronto, if they could put a winner together, they were ready to hand the town to a la born Kawhi a one year raptor after a championship.

Ps is it too late to trade Marner for Kwahi?? Please say yes lol
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:10 a.m.
Jangle29
He doesnt even need to take the Kucherov deal, thats what the piss off is. If he would sign for 8 years he is in the 10.5-11 mil range. But he has said no to that for whatever reason. If he is stuck on a 5 year term he is only about the 9 mil range and its been proven with the Aho deal
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:15 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: Jangle29
He doesnt even need to take the Kucherov deal, thats what the piss off is. If he would sign for 8 years he is in the 10.5-11 mil range. But he has said no to that for whatever reason. If he is stuck on a 5 year term he is only about the 9 mil range and its been proven with the Aho deal

I just don’t understand, probably never will, but marner should be a lifetime leaf, and he should be willing to take a 8x10 say, and I don’t believe it will ever be a true stupid bargain like mackinnon or Seth Jones, or even scheifele. Solid number and I bet his Toronto endorsements would match or go over that.
palhal liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:16 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe

Damn I want to work where you work if a couple million equals 20 percent
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:17 a.m.
AAAHHH !!! FIRE !!!!

My hope is NDJ offersheets him and takes him so we can get 4 first round picks. That way we can take the money and sign a 20 goal winger .....or take the hit now, and save the money to sign barrie and a high level defensive d man in the off season to stop the rotating D situation and finally settle it down.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:18 a.m.
First off, I am shocked you dont know Marner personally. Thank you for clarifying that.

Also, the blatant talk of cap circumvention is very sad. Be better.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:19 a.m.
Jangle29
I just don’t understand, probably never will, but marner should be a lifetime leaf, and he should be willing to take a 8x10 say, and I don’t believe it will ever be a true stupid bargain like mackinnon or Seth Jones, or even scheifele. Solid number and I bet his Toronto endorsements would match or go over that.

Google Paul Marner and Darren Ferris. That is your issue. Both are insane and representing him. I doubt any other NHL team wants that baggage
oneX liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:20 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
My hope is NDJ offersheets him and takes him so we can get 4 first round picks. That way we can take the money and sign a 20 goal winger .....or take the hit now, and save the money to sign barrie and a high level defensive d man in the off season to stop the rotating D situation and finally settle it down.

I hope he signs and the blueline stabilizes with the kids in next couple years, not sure if dubas can make this all work, pick a vet or 3 on the blueline and the rest have to come from marlies.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:25 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: littlejerryseinfeld
First off, I am shocked you dont know Marner personally. Thank you for clarifying that.

Also, the blatant talk of cap circumvention is very sad. Be better.

We are questioning marner plans, not the leaf plan. I’m sure all the major cities open up revenue streams, that some of the smaller markets don’t have, why do you think panarin chose nyr over a variety of other places, some with larger numbers than the rangers offer.
Maj liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:26 a.m.
AAAHHH !!! FIRE !!!!
I hope he signs and the blueline stabilizes with the kids in next couple years, not sure if dubas can make this all work, pick a vet or 3 on the blueline and the rest have to come from marlies.

Stabilizing the situation with kids is a very tough one. Defence mature later in life , as in their 20s, just due to the harsh nature of playing defence and being good enough to make it.

Also, you want to protect and develop talent instead of throwing them in the fire , which will come to haunt you in 2 ways.

1) They **** up and get booed out, and lose their confidence, that will ruin their full potential of being and development.

2) Throwing rookies into the nhl is also bad because if they don't feel protected by the team, or feel their development is working, they will rather get traded than signed.

I would prefer signing one big defensive guy, and barrie and then getting 1 or 2 rookies to get work on the defence playing maybe 5 mins a game or longer depending on how they are doing.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:29 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Stabilizing the situation with kids is a very tough one. Defence mature later in life , as in their 20s, just due to the harsh nature of playing defence and being good enough to make it.

Also, you want to protect and develop talent instead of throwing them in the fire , which will come to haunt you in 2 ways.

1) They **** up and get booed out, and lose their confidence, that will ruin their full potential of being and development.

2) Throwing rookies into the nhl is also bad because if they don't feel protected by the team, or feel their development is working, they will rather get traded than signed.

I would prefer signing one big defensive guy, and barrie and then getting 1 or 2 rookies to get work on the defence playing maybe 5 mins a game or longer depending on how they are doing.

Probably a better plan, I’m a jets fan speaking out of my element, that seems to end up watching a ton of leaf hockey, and if the jets take a step back this year, I hope there’s a Canadian team that can take a step forward, probably a battle between Toronto and calgary to move up the contention ladder.
Maj liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:33 a.m.
AAAHHH !!! FIRE !!!!
Probably a better plan, I’m a jets fan speaking out of my element, that seems to end up watching a ton of leaf hockey, and if the jets take a step back this year, I hope there’s a Canadian team that can take a step forward, probably a battle between Toronto and calgary to move up the contention ladder.

I think we all bring in our understanding of players and teams. Even if we don't know the team or the players involved , at least we understand the situation of what it might take to improve the team long term ( or so we hope).

I think understanding situations and consequences is important, unless you are speaking about a certain player in detail, in which case you have to know how they play, the special teams they are on, how many mins they play, and how they react to situations under pressure.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:44 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
I think we all bring in our understanding of players and teams. Even if we don't know the team or the players involved , at least we understand the situation of what it might take to improve the team long term ( or so we hope).

I think understanding situations and consequences is important, unless you are speaking about a certain player in detail, in which case you have to know how they play, the special teams they are on, how many mins they play, and how they react to situations under pressure.

I’m looking forward to seeing Barrie on that pp, but I also kinda wonder if there’s a trade with say Carolina for rhd dman that have a little bigger number but longer term, and Carolina has the caproom for Barrie, so the leafs can reup Muzzin and also hopefully convince Carolina to throw in a physical forward with some term also. Barrie for fogele and pesce or something like that to think a little more longterm capwise. Don’t get me wrong though I really want to see Reilly and Barrie handle a pp, probably win a series on its own a dominant pp
Maj liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:50 a.m.
AAAHHH !!! FIRE !!!!
I’m looking forward to seeing Barrie on that pp, but I also kinda wonder if there’s a trade with say Carolina for rhd dman that have a little bigger number but longer term, and Carolina has the caproom for Barrie, so the leafs can reup Muzzin and also hopefully convince Carolina to throw in a physical forward with some term also. Barrie for fogele and pesce or something like that to think a little more longterm capwise. Don’t get me wrong though I really want to see Reilly and Barrie handle a pp, probably win a series on its own a dominant pp

That is also another option that is on the table , that sounds reasonable

Always need options incase things don't go as predicted .... these days NHL is so full of unpredictability than before that if you do not have options on the table, you are pretty much shooting yourself in your foot and bleeding out to die.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:55 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer

Just to continue your thought. If it isn't just money. Look at the god like status the Cup winners of the 60s still have. Never mind players like Sittler, Salming , Gilmour, Clarke, Sundin who never won a Cup.

I'm projecting 75 years ahead when Marner is lying in his nursing home bed. No reason why is still doesn't have 20m in assets if he squeezed the last dime outta of his RFA contract. Would he be thinking, gee maybe it would have been better to life time Leaf and just have 10m in the bank now.

Millions of working folks in North America, turn down promotions or transfers for various reasons....mostly family reasons I presume. People that might need that difference in money. So the difference between a low RFA offer and a high RFA isn't going to make all that difference to Marner's life style. That being said....I hold no grudges towards Marner and his right to do whatever he likes.
oneX and Birtle34 liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 7:57 a.m.
Marner: yo dad, you're FIRED!!! You too Darren, ya suck!!!

Man...the family dinner conversations would be interesting... Lol
Not sure how many of you have heard of the big corporations who were ready to give Stamkos big sponsorship deals had he signed with Toronto.

Stamkos shied away from that, instead choosing to take less money in Tampa and play on a contender.

I have no doubts about Marner getting big sponsorship deals if he ultimately stays in Toronto.
It truly is a question of whether he signs a team friendly deal.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll