state of the roster - my opinion

Created by: Buffalo_Chills
Team: 2019-20 Buffalo Sabres
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 8, 2019
Published: Jul. 9, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Skinner - Eichel - Sheary
We're going to put "anyone can play with Jack & Jeff on the right side" to the test. Sheary has proven in the past he can put up points and contribute when playing with top flight talent. GM Jason Botterill has also said that Sheary is capable of playing the right side as a left hander.

Olofsson - Reinhart - Johansson
Here's where things get tricky. You hate to say something like that just as you get to the 2nd line, yet here we are. Thoughts here are that since we don't have a clear-cut 2nd line center, we put 2 guys there who can share the duties. Reinhart and Johansson both have limited center experience, but I believe can play the position. Reinhart and Johansson are excellent playmakers and should be able to set up Olofsson with great shot opportunities. This line could look many different ways depending on the situation, which makes me think it could work.
[Johansson - Reinhart - Olofsson]
[Olofsson - Johansson - Reinhart]

Vesey - Mittelstadt - Rodrigues
I think we as Sabres fans would be very lucky and happy to have this as a third line. This is much better depth than in the past . Vesey should be looking to score on this line. It's what he does, it 's what he wants to do, so let him go. Mittelstadt is a good playmaker and hopefully they can get some chemistry. This set-up also allows Vesey to play his preferred leftwing. Rodrigues is a great all around player and he can play any forward spot. He's listed as C, LW, but he is right handed so I wouldn't think rightwing would be too difficult for him. Rodrigues can help Mittelstadt with center duties as well.

4th Line
This could be almost anything. I'll list a couple combos of what I would prefer or what they might go with. I would love for some of the younger guys to get 4th line time instead of guys like Okposo, Wilson, Girgensons.
Smith - Asplund - Lazar
Smith - Dea - Lazar
Smith - Girgensons - Okoposo
Wilson - Girgensons - Okposo

Defense
It is what it is. Moves are almost most definitely coming and a Ristolainen trade could greatly alter the forward lines. But looking at what we currently have, we can get away with no moves on defense as Bogosian and Pilut will most likely start on IR. When they come off we should be waiving Hunwick and Nelson. I doubt they get claimed and they would to to Rochester. Scandella should always be scratched if he's not traded. Pilut is waiver exempt so if for some reason he needs to be in Rochester he can go down, although he should be in the NHL.

Personally, Wilson and Girgensons can be waived without worry, and if Smith is in the NHL I wouldn't risk passing him through waivers if he needed to go down, although he might sneak through.

I would love to see Arttu make the team. I saw some video of him at prospects camp and he does have some serious skill, I just don't see a path for him into the top 9 and I don't think I would want him on the 4th line or as an extra. Hopefully his Finnish club would allow him to play in Rochester.

Sobotka gets "the Berglund".

As you see it here, and if no moves are made for the rest of the season, there will be $31.5M in cap space next offseason. Next Summer's UFAs possibly worth considering: Sheary, Vesey, Nelson. Next Summer's notable RFAs: Reinhart, Montour, Olofsson, Mittelstadt, Pilut, Thompson.
[McCabe(2), Rodrigues(3), Ullmark(2) were given multiyear deals this summer]
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
3$2,300,000
2$1,500,000
2$2,250,000
Trades
BUF
    Sobotka is waived after training camp. He is not claimed, and refuses to report to the Rochester Americans. His contract is terminated (similar to Berglund in '18-'19) and he goes to play in a European league.
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the DAL
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    Logo of the BUF
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    23$81,500,000$73,934,167$0$4,257,500$7,565,833

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the Buffalo Sabres
    $9,000,000$9,000,000
    LW, RW
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    C
    UFA - 7
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 1
    $767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $3,650,000$3,650,000
    RW
    UFA - 1
    $4,500,000$4,500,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
    LW, C
    RFA - 1
    $2,300,000$2,300,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $2,275,000$2,275,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,600,000$1,600,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $6,000,000$6,000,000
    RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 4
    $700,000$700,000
    LW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $3,875,000$3,875,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $2,750,000$2,750,000
    G
    UFA - 2
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 2
    $3,387,500$3,387,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $812,500$812,500
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,400,000$5,400,000
    RD
    UFA - 3
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    G
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $2,000,000$2,000,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $1,300,000$1,300,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    $1,050,000$1,050,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$425,000$425K)
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $2,250,000$2,250,000
    LD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 9, 2019 at 11:35 a.m.
    Log off the internet
    By no means am I a buffalo fan nor do I have very deep knowledge of their roster, but this was a very good read
    Buffalo_Chills and JacobSmells liked this.
    Jul. 9, 2019 at 11:54 a.m.
    This is, by far and away, the most insightful Sabre post I have seen.

Where I think an opportunity lies to move a Risto (it's coming it seems) or a Scandella, the Sabres are well positioned to perhaps upgrade the 2C position..... which seems to be to only real hole - and if Reinhart can transition into that position, it's filled.

I maybe a Leafs fan, but I absolutely love what Botterill has been doing. It's shrewd, and positions the team well moving forward.

Is this a playoff team? Debatable. But fornthe first tome in a decade, it seems they have a sense of direction.
    Buffalo_Chills liked this.
    Jul. 9, 2019 at 12:36 p.m.
    Edited Jul. 9, 2019 at 12:46 p.m.
    Well ****ing done. Best Sabres concept I've seen recently by a country mile. Just a couple thoughts...

Larsson isn't mentioned in the entire post - Are you assuming that he's headed back to Sweden as some people have reported? Those reports have been refuted by his agent for what it's worth. If he is back next year, I think he's their best 4C option with Girgs pushed to the LW.

You touched on it briefly, but I definitely like the second line more with Olofsson on the right side. He's a pure shooter and the right wing positions him to be a constant threat of a quick one timer. Johansson, as far as I know, has little history of playing RW and only mentioned ever playing LW or C in his media conference the other day. His game as a playmaker is also probably better suited for his natural side.

Another good option for the first line RW spot is Vesey in my opinion. I haven't seen him play all too much, but from what I've read he's a guy with a nose for the net that likes to hang around the netmouth and clean up the garbage. That could compliment Eichel and Skinner well as neither of them are best suited for that sort of game, and Sheary is a little small for that role. Vesey has enough goalscoring touch to finish the chances that Eichel creates - He'd be a dangerous passing option at all times when the puck is on Jack's stick in the offensive zone.

Again, really well thought out post and I enjoyed reading it!
    Jul. 9, 2019 at 12:51 p.m.
    Have Fun
    Quoting: Shootica
    Well ****ing done. Best Sabres concept I've seen recently by a country mile. Just a couple thoughts...

Larsson isn't mentioned in the entire post - Are you assuming that he's headed back to Sweden as some people have reported? Those reports have been refuted by his agent from what it's worth. If he is back next year, I think he's their best 4C option with Girgs pushed to the LW.

You touched on it briefly, but I definitely like the second line more with Olofsson on the right side. He's a pure shooter and the right wing positions him to be a constant threat of a quick one timer. Johansson, as far as I know, has little history of playing RW and only mentioned ever playing LW or C in his media conference the other day. His game as a playmaker is also probably better suited for his natural side.

Another good option for the first line RW spot is Vesey in my opinion. I haven't seen him play all too much, but from what I've read he's a guy with a nose for the net that likes to hang around the netmouth and clean up the garbage. That could compliment Eichel and Skinner well as neither of them are best suited for that sort of game, and Sheary is a little small for that role. Vesey has enough goalscoring touch to finish the chances that Eichel creates - He'd be a dangerous passing option at all times when the puck is on Jack's stick in the offensive zone.

Again, really well thought out post and I enjoyed reading it!

My thought on Larsson, is that he doesn't make it out of arbitration as a Buffalo Sabre. Admittedly I don't know much about salary abritraion hearings in the NHL, but what I gather is that if he is awarded a salary the Sabres don't like, that they can walk away. Or a tleast there is some mechanism where they can part ways. If the number comes in to be resonable and they can get other RFAs they want, like McCabe and Rodrigues in under the cap then I could see him being the 4th line center and the Sabres roll with Girgensons - Larsson - Okposo again. It's definitely not out of the question at all.

It's a weird concept but I think this notion of postion-less hockey is going to start creeping into the NHL. With D-men and Forwards cycling and covering, always moving to set up a great shot. I see that 2nd line as fluid. Reinhart taking D-Zone draws, Johansson taking O-Zone draws. I think its better for players to enter the zone on their natural wing (easier to accept a pass on the forehand). Once in the offensive zone I see Reinhart going to the left side and Olofsson skating towards the right to set up one-timers for either. something like that.

I can see Vesey getting a shot a top RW. I think intially a lot of Sabres fans would groan at the thought but I can see it working. I mean 35 year old Jason Pominville looked great with Jack and Jeff last season, so I'm very open to anything working over there.
    Shootica liked this.
    Jul. 9, 2019 at 1:33 p.m.
    Ryan Miller Is God
    I like a lot of this, but a question I've had for people is ERod's contract. If you're bullish on him like I am, I think now is the ideal time to lock him up long-term. I'm thinking 5 years at 2.8 - 3. Is that a lot for what we saw last season? Sure. But when his usual linemates aren't Sobotka and Tage Thompson, I think he's be threatening around 35-40 points a season, not to mention the intangibles in his toolbox that are invaluable already.

I do agree with others, I think Larsson should be our 4C. He's excellent at the dot and even with a ridiculous 86% share in defensive starts, he did admirably considering just how dire most of the roster was. Will he get through arbitration is a fair point, but he's a positive known quantity and I think some stability is good with the rest of the roster being upended. Girgs is someone I'd really want as a 13th forward, filling in across the bottom six if an energy guy gets hurt (Larsson, Smith, Okposo, ERod maybe).
    Shootica liked this.
    Jul. 9, 2019 at 1:49 p.m.
    Quoting: AudioCats
    I like a lot of this, but a question I've had for people is ERod's contract. If you're bullish on him like I am, I think now is the ideal time to lock him up long-term. I'm thinking 5 years at 2.8 - 3. Is that a lot for what we saw last season? Sure. But when his usual linemates aren't Sobotka and Tage Thompson, I think he's be threatening around 35-40 points a season, not to mention the intangibles in his toolbox that are invaluable already.

I do agree with others, I think Larsson should be our 4C. He's excellent at the dot and even with a ridiculous 86% share in defensive starts, he did admirably considering just how dire most of the roster was. Will he get through arbitration is a fair point, but he's a positive known quantity and I think some stability is good with the rest of the roster being upended. Girgs is someone I'd really want as a 13th forward, filling in across the bottom six if an energy guy gets hurt (Larsson, Smith, Okposo, ERod maybe).

I think it would be tough to get ERod to take that sort of deal. Low money long term contracts are rare because players tend to bet on themselves to improve and earn more money down the road. I like the idea though if he was willing to take something reasonable.
    AudioCats liked this.
    Jul. 9, 2019 at 2:43 p.m.
    If we're going with the "anyone can succeed on Eichel/Skinner's line," then why not give Nylander the chance he deserves? The rest of the post is spot on, although I do want Larsson as the 4C
    Jul. 9, 2019 at 2:55 p.m.
    Sabres are elite
    Where is Nylander? Do you think he will make the team? If so where does he fit in and who is scratched?
    Jul. 9, 2019 at 3:08 p.m.
    Have Fun
    Quoting: Skyraider112
    Where is Nylander? Do you think he will make the team? If so where does he fit in and who is scratched?

With Nylander (who could very well make the team out of camp, many said he should have at the time last year and even more so after we saw how the season went.):
    Skinner - Eichel - Nylander/Sheary
    Olofsson - Johansson - Reinhart
    Vesey - Mittelstadt - Sheary/Nylander
    Smith - Rodrigues - Okposo

Wilson/Girgensons one stays and is scratched, one is waived. Could waive Hunwick and keep both. We could have Larsson, and scratch/waive a different combo of those guys.
    I could see Thompson in the same light as Nylander. Replace Nylander with Thompson in the line combos.

There are a lot of young players who deserve a shot. Tage, Asplund, Arttu, Nylander, CJ Smith, Olofsson, Pilut, Borgen. To give those guys shots you have to be willing sit guys like Sheary, Okopso, Girgensons, Scandella, Bogosian. Hopefully we see this with the coaching change.
    Skyraider112 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll