Forums/Armchair-GM

West Standing Predictions with Team MVPs and explanation

Created by: STLBlues17
Team: 2019-20 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 9, 2019
Published: Jul. 9, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Vegas: I thought they were an elite team last year, but they had a lot of statistical regression in shooting and goal tending from the year before. With a full year of Stone and a bounce back season from Fleury, I see them on top.
Avs: They had one brutal stretch of pdo last year which knocked them out of competing for the central division crown but I really think they found something in the playoffs. Kadri is going to be big and I love Donskoi and Burakovsky as depth players. As long as they get goaltending, this team will be awesome.
Flames: I'll never understand how the Avs eviscerated them in the playoffs, but I still think they're a good enough regular season team to somewhat duplicate last season. They've got great depth and if they get goaltending, they'll be good
Blues: I'm sure they'll be some sort of cup hangover, but it won't be serious. They were almost unbeatable through the last 40 games and had outstanding underlying numbers. With improvement from Dunn/Thomas and a bounce back from Schwartz, this could actually be a better team
Preds: Something wasn't quite right with the Preds last year and it kind of shocked me that they won the division. I think Duchene will be an improvement, but they already had tons of shooting talent and instead needed more forwards that could drive possession which I don't think Duchene will help with. I see a potential contender, but there are still questions,
Sharks: I see them falling off a bit, but not too much. losing Pavs hurts, but I love what Meier/Couture/Hertl bring and I still think Erik Karlsson is capable of playing at a Norris trophy level. It remains to be seen if they can overcome Martin Jones and their suspect bottom 3 defenseman.
Stars: These guys are my pick to make it out of the west this year, but I'm not sure if they've got the offensive ability to be a dominant regular season team. They're super structured, Pavelski, Perry, and the rise of Roope Hintz should boost there offense, Bishop is still elite, and I think both Klingberg and Heiskanen could compete for a Norris.
Jets: Much like the Preds, it became clear by the end of the season that the Jets weren't contenders last year. They played better in the playoffs than in the regular season and yet they lost in 6 games. They relied on shooting talent and the powerplay last year, and I think they have enough offense to make the playoffs, but that defense does not look good at all.
Arizona: I like the way this team looks, and I love the way they played defense last year, but I don't know if they can drive enough offense to get in over the five central teams that made the playoffs last year. Kessel and a healthy Schmaltz will help, but I think they need more.
Nucks: They look alright and i think they'll contend for a spot, but I still don't see enough quality players on that roster to make noise. Hughes will be massive, Pettersson will probably take the next step and I think Myers will be okay but I just don't see how they're better than any of last year's Western conference playoff teams.
Hawks: They're the team that I'm torn on the most. On one hand, they have a nice looking roster, on the other they shot at an unsustainable high shooting percentage all year last year and still missed the playoffs. I could see their horrible defense improving, and Lehner bringing needed stability, but I still think they're gonna struggle.
Oilers: I think they look arguably worse this year than they did last year. Last year they had career years from several players and still weren't close to the playoffs. There is still plenty of time in the offseason to add to the roster, but I can't see them making the playoffs unless Mcdavid scores 150 points
Wild: These guys would've made the playoffs last year if Dubnyk was competent, but I think they're significantly worse due to losing Nino, Granlund, and probably Zucker. They had a chance to recoup quality assets like the Blues did with Stastny/Shattenkirk, but instead went for lateral moves. I think Minny fans are in for the long haul.
Kings: They were really bad last year and are gonna be bad this year, but I'm convinced that there will be bouncebacks from Kopitar/Doughty/Toffoli/Quick. The Kings have such an awesome prospect pool and are one more top-5 pick away from being a good team in a few years.
Ducks: I honestly thought they weren't terrible last year and instead had an awful coach, but I see some serious holes on this roster. Besides Lindholm and Manson, the defense sucks, and I really don't think they've got the forwards to pull them through. Much like the Kings, the Ducks do have a nice group of prospects and I think it'll be exciting to see how Terry/Steel/Comtois/Jones will do with a full season.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$100,651,240$0$2,850,000-$19,151,240
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
1st, Seed
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
UFA - 4
2nd, Seed
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
3rd, Seed
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the St. Louis Blues
$1,875,000$1,875,000
C
UFA - 4
4th, Seed
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
5th, Seed
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 8
6th, Seed
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Dallas Stars
$4,250,000$4,250,000
RD
UFA - 3
Wildcard, 1st
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Winnipeg Jets
$6,125,000$6,125,000
C
UFA - 5
Wildcard, 2nd
$925,000$925,000
Logo of the Arizona Coyotes
$7,260,000$7,260,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Vancouver Canucks
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
C, LW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$7,538,462$7,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Anaheim Ducks
$2,602,778$2,602,778
LD
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 9, 2019 at 12:11 p.m.
The only criticism I would have would be that there is not a new team in the playoffs from the previous season. I don't know if the same 8 teams have ever made back to back playoffs, but if it has I'm sure it is extremely rare. I think an average of 2 new playoff teams each year seems pretty reasonable, not sure who that would be though. The 8 teams you picked have seemed to separate themselves from the rest of the west.
STLBlues17 liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 12:14 p.m.
Sam
Quoting: Chrismurtagh
The only criticism I would have would be that there is not a new team in the playoffs from the previous season. I don't know if the same 8 teams have ever made back to back playoffs, but if it has I'm sure it is extremely rare. I think an average of 2 new playoff teams each year seems pretty reasonable, not sure who that would be though. The 8 teams you picked have seemed to separate themselves from the rest of the west.

That's what scared me about my predictions. I'd expect some injury to hurt a playoff team and maybe knock them out.
Chrismurtagh liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 12:42 p.m.
Quoting: STLBlues17
That's what scared me about my predictions. I'd expect some injury to hurt a playoff team and maybe knock them out.

Quoting: Chrismurtagh

I could see Winnipeg missing the playoffs. Their defence looks questionable
Chrismurtagh liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 12:48 p.m.
Sam
Quoting: Leafsfan23
I could see Winnipeg missing the playoffs. Their defence looks questionable

I could see it, they coasted last year and weren't a great team at all. Part of me thinks they'll bounce back, but replacing Trouba with Pionk will hurt them
Chrismurtagh liked this.
Jul. 9, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
Very difficult to predict injuries but typically those will take out a team or two that on paper should make it. As well as young players playing better then expectations and sneaking their team into the wildcard positions.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll