$3,375,000$3,375,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$2,750,000$2,750,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 4
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$537,500$538K)
RW
RFA - 3
$2,250,000$2,250,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$746,667$746,667 (Performance Bonus$20,000$20K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,300,000$5,300,000
LD
UFA - 6
$4,025,000$4,025,000
RD
UFA - 5
$3,125,000$3,125,000
G
UFA - 2
$4,150,000$4,150,000
RD
NTC
UFA - 1
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$737,500$737,500
G
UFA - 2
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,300,000$2,300,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$725,000$725,000
C, RW, LW
UFA - 1
$3,400,000$3,400,000
G
UFA - 2
$900,000$900,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 12, 2019 at 10:40 a.m.
I could honestly see it as a Caps fan. Only question marks about the Canes for me are:

1. Is Dzingel really the guy we saw last year, or was it just the "career-year" aberration?
2. Is Haula really a 2C?
3. Can Mrazek play at the level he did last year?

If Mrazek can play to the level he did last year, and you get one out of Dzingel/Haula to perform at a top six level, then I could definitely see this team finishing atop the Metro. It's going to be a bloodbath.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 10:55 a.m.
Quoting: staytru20
I could honestly see it as a Caps fan. Only question marks about the Canes for me are:

1. Is Dzingel really the guy we saw last year, or was it just the "career-year" aberration?
2. Is Haula really a 2C?

If Mrazek can play to the level he did last year, and you get one out of Dzingel/Haula to perform at a top six level, then I could definitely see this team finishing atop the Metro. It's going to be a bloodbath.

Yeah it's all gonna depend on Mrazek repeating his performance from last year in my opinion. But holy hell, the Metro is gonna suck to play in. At least Pitt will probably suck this year.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 10:56 a.m.

2. Is Haula really a 2C?

All questions I can fully agree with!
I do think Dzingel will be the guy we saw. with better options on the wing for him I feel like we will see another career year out of him.
I think Haula still is IF hes healthy. If not, slide Staal back up and have Haula play with with Necus
Mrazek is the biggest if for me. If hes 50/50 i think theyre middle of the pack but if he plays like last year, BOOM bloodbath is right!

Going be such a fun year!
staytru20 liked this.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 10:57 a.m.
Quoting: jspenc40
Yeah it's all gonna depend on Mrazek repeating his performance from last year in my opinion. But holy hell, the Metro is gonna suck to play in. At least Pitt will probably suck this year.

I won't count out Crosby and Malkin until I'm shown otherwise. Realistically, I think the top 2 will be some order of Carolina, Washington (homer goggles aside), and 3rd place is really up for grabs. I could realistically see any other team in the Metro slotting in at 3rd. It's going to be really hard to land a WC spot with how stacked the Metro and Atlantic divisions are, so we'll probably see some great regular season hockey leading up to the playoffs.
jspenc40 liked this.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 11:04 a.m.
I won't count out Crosby and Malkin until I'm shown otherwise. Realistically, I think the top 2 will be some order of Carolina, Washington (homer goggles aside), and 3rd place is really up for grabs. I could realistically see any other team in the Metro slotting in at 3rd. It's going to be really hard to land a WC spot with how stacked the Metro and Atlantic divisions are, so we'll probably see some great regular season hockey leading up to the playoffs.

completely agree. I think the Metro is stronger this year and depending on how the season goes, I could even see 5 teams from the Metro. That being said, I am not counting out teams like Florida or Buffalo this year either!
Jul. 12, 2019 at 11:10 a.m.
Banned
I would be mildly surprised if the Canes finished 1st, its a division in transition. Washington is regressing, Pittsburgh is not likely to be much better than last year, Philly should be better, the Rangers should be much better as well. Columbus will regress but still has some talent and a very good defence, the Islanders are doubtful to be as good as last year. So what will happen in Carolina? I think they could be better than last year, but I also think they could take a step back as well. I don't have faith in their goaltending to be super great but they have a great system so that helps.

Honestly its hard to predict the Metro. I think its pretty likely that both wild card spots will be going to Atlantic teams so, to make the playoffs, Carolina has to finish in the top 3 for the division. Tampa, Boston, TO are all locks, and I think Florida and Montreal and maybe Buffalo are all really good teams as well.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 11:22 a.m.
Quoting: LoganOllivier
I would be mildly surprised if the Canes finished 1st, its a division in transition. Washington is regressing, Pittsburgh is not likely to be much better than last year, Philly should be better, the Rangers should be much better as well. Columbus will regress but still has some talent and a very good defence, the Islanders are doubtful to be as good as last year. So what will happen in Carolina? I think they could be better than last year, but I also think they could take a step back as well. I don't have faith in their goaltending to be super great but they have a great system so that helps.

Honestly its hard to predict the Metro. I think its pretty likely that both wild card spots will be going to Atlantic teams so, to make the playoffs, Carolina has to finish in the top 3 for the division. Tampa, Boston, TO are all locks, and I think Florida and Montreal and maybe Buffalo are all really good teams as well.

See I think a team like montreal doesnt make it tbh, and teams like Buffalo really need to prove it. I think the islanders and blue jackets will take a step back for sure. I think both the devils and rangers will move up as well. Caps and pens are both slowing down but they also have 3 of the last four cups so ...
Jul. 12, 2019 at 11:28 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: CapFriendlysFinest
See I think a team like montreal doesnt make it tbh, and teams like Buffalo really need to prove it. I think the islanders and blue jackets will take a step back for sure. I think both the devils and rangers will move up as well. Caps and pens are both slowing down but they also have 3 of the last four cups so ...

Yup, its kind of a crap shoot.

Carolina will make the playoffs

If the goaltending plays as good as last year
The young players continue to progress
The older guys don't take a step back
Washington, Pittsburgh and Philly spin their tires and regress
The Rangers or Devils show they still have more improvements to make.

They will miss the playoffs if

Goaltending takes a marginal step backwards
Pittsburgh and Washington have one more big push in them
Philly plays like everyone expects them too
The Rangers or Devils take big steps forward
Atlantic teams dominate the wildcard race
The young players take a step back while the older players regress

It could go either way and I wouldn't be surprised. The Canes are moving in the right direction but they still have question marks and depth up front is a bit of an issue. Their team doesn't frighten me, not like some of the other teams in the east.
CapFriendlysFinest liked this.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 11:31 a.m.
Yup, its kind of a crap shoot.

Carolina will make the playoffs

If the goaltending plays as good as last year
The young players continue to progress
The older guys don't take a step back
Washington, Pittsburgh and Philly spin their tires and regress
The Rangers or Devils show they still have more improvements to make.

They will miss the playoffs if

Goaltending takes a marginal step backwards
Pittsburgh and Washington have one more big push in them
Philly plays like everyone expects them too
The Rangers or Devils take big steps forward
Atlantic teams dominate the wildcard race
The young players take a step back while the older players regress

It could go either way and I wouldn't be surprised. The Canes are moving in the right direction but they still have question marks and depth up front is a bit of an issue. Their team doesn't frighten me, not like some of the other teams in the east.

Going be such a great season this year, I cant wait
Jul. 12, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.
Banned
Going be such a great season this year, I cant wait

3 of the 4 divisions are complete crap shoots this year, it will certainly be interesting.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 11:49 a.m.
3 of the 4 divisions are complete crap shoots this year, it will certainly be interesting.

Does every division seem over powered but the Pacific?
Jul. 12, 2019 at 11:53 a.m.
Banned
Does every division seem over powered but the Pacific?

I'd say the only division that looks overpowered is the Atlantic. Every other division has massive question marks.

Pacific is a gongshow
Metro is a crap shoot, (almost any 3 teams could finish in the top 3 and I wouldn't be that surprised)
Central is hard to predict. St Lious should be a decent team, as well as Nashville (Although I'd love to see Duchene turn the team into a **** show like he's done everywhere he's gone so far) Jets should probably retool and get rid of some of their older players before they become anchors and after that its anyones guess.
The Atlantic is a power house though.

Tampa will challenge for the Presidents trophy with TO and Boston should be a top 5 or so team again, although I could see Boston having a slow start after a long run and maybe drop down to a wildcard team. Florida will be better, Montreal will be better, Buffalo will be better as well. The Atlantic is definitely the most top heavy division.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 2:06 p.m.

I'm not sure I agree with Washington regressing. The Caps did lose some depth scoring, but replaced it with players who are much better defensively, have good shot suppression metrics, and can kill penalties - essentially the three biggest issues the Caps had last season. Could I see them not winning the division? Absolutely. But I think the team isn't overall worse.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 2:41 p.m.
Banned
I'm not sure I agree with Washington regressing. The Caps did lose some depth scoring, but replaced it with players who are much better defensively, have good shot suppression metrics, and can kill penalties - essentially the three biggest issues the Caps had last season. Could I see them not winning the division? Absolutely. But I think the team isn't overall worse.

It's hard to say, I think they could be very good or could be just okay. Time catches up and they do have some older players that will eventually start showing their age, and it's going to be sooner rather than later.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 2:51 p.m.
It's hard to say, I think they could be very good or could be just okay. Time catches up and they do have some older players that will eventually start showing their age, and it's going to be sooner rather than later.

I think the only "older" player that's probably due for regression is Oshie, but that's mainly due to injuries. Everyone else on the team is pretty young. There's only 4 guys over 30, and Ovi is the oldest at 33.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 3:31 p.m.
Banned
I think the only "older" player that's probably due for regression is Oshie, but that's mainly due to injuries. Everyone else on the team is pretty young. There's only 4 guys over 30, and Ovi is the oldest at 33.

But those 30 year olds are all their main core. Backstrom, Ovie, Oshie, Karlsson, and Hotlby will start showing their age before too long. They'll still be a very good team, not doubt, but the days of contention are fewer ahead than behind.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 4:48 p.m.
But those 30 year olds are all their main core. Backstrom, Ovie, Oshie, Karlsson, and Hotlby will start showing their age before too long. They'll still be a very good team, not doubt, but the days of contention are fewer ahead than behind.

I don't disagree, but I think that it's about 3 years out from being reality. Holtby will be gone after this season, replaced with Samsonov on his ELC, and Carlson is 29. I think the only concern right now is Oshie. Backstrom has been relatively healthy other than a broken finger during the 2018 Cup run. No one really knows when Ovi is going to regress, because by all measures of projection, he should have been regressing by now in terms of scoring.
Jul. 12, 2019 at 5:09 p.m.
Banned
I don't disagree, but I think that it's about 3 years out from being reality. Holtby will be gone after this season, replaced with Samsonov on his ELC, and Carlson is 29. I think the only concern right now is Oshie. Backstrom has been relatively healthy other than a broken finger during the 2018 Cup run. No one really knows when Ovi is going to regress, because by all measures of projection, he should have been regressing by now in terms of scoring.

This is leading my down a rabit hole of hypotheticals, but I can't stop myself so I'm going to run with it.

What you said is a very common idea held by fans and GM's almost across the board and I don't really understand it. So you have guys like Ovie, Backstrom, Holtby, Carlson etc that are getting older and its a reasonable expectation that they'll start regressing sooner rather than later. In 3 years they could be looking like LA, and the ideal held by most is, "we'll deal with that when we get there" I just don't understand that. In my mind, why not get ahead of it and reboot when your aging core still has value?

If I was GM in Pittsburgh, I would be all in favour of trading everyone over the age of 25, I would have looked at moving Malkin to Colorado last year and getting both theirs and Ottawa's first rounder and prospects. They could have moved Letang fora great package, Kessel for a lot and if Crosby was open to it, move him for a tonne as well. Then use that massive windfall to turn into an up and coming team and be what the Leafs were 2 seasons ago after 1 season of pain. To do this you'd have to take a very hard look in the mirror and realize that while you still think you have tread left on the tires, the fact is, while you may only be slightly less than you were a few years ago, the younger teams coming up behind you are getting better each year while you are getting worse.

The balls a GM would need to pull off something like this would be massive. Fans would lose their minds and that GM would be hated for a long time before people sat down and saw how quick the turn around could be.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll