Forums/Armchair-GM

Colorado

Created by: Shakabakes
Team: 2019-20 New York Rangers
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 14, 2019
Published: Jul. 14, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Trouba signs 1 year deal for this Season, before being able to resign at the Mid Season mark for the 8 year extension. Essentially banking on a 9 year deal altogether.

Bowers a Mid Season call up.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$6,750,000
2$3,250,000
2$2,750,000
2$1,500,000
Trades
NYR
  1. Bowers, Shane
  2. Nieto, Matt
  3. 2020 1st round pick (COL)
COL
  1. Kreider, Chris
  2. Shattenkirk, Kevin ($3,325,000 retained)
NYR
  1. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
EDM
  1. Namestnikov, Vladislav ($2,000,000 retained)
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NSH
Logo of the VAN
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the BUF
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
Logo of the NYR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$79,631,466$0$5,895,000$1,868,534
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the New York Rangers
$11,642,857$11,642,857
LW
NMC
UFA - 7
$5,350,000$5,350,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
RW
RFA - 3
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$350,000$350K)
C, LW
UFA - 2
$3,100,000$3,100,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, RW, C
UFA - 2
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$1,975,000$1,975,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
C, LW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
RFA - 3
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$894,166$894,166 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C, LW
RFA - 2
$1,850,000$1,850,000
RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,250,000$5,250,000
LD
UFA - 5
$6,750,000$6,750,000
RD
UFA - 7
$8,500,000$8,500,000
G
NMC
UFA - 2
$833,333$833,333
LD
UFA - 2
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$792,500$792,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
G
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$212,500$212K)
LD
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RD
UFA - 3
$5,700,000$5,700,000
LD
NMC
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 14, 2019 at 7:25 a.m.
Chris Dalton
I don't get it, people on AGM value shattenkirk as if he's a 7th defenseman on any team but he's not. He's the rangers 3rd-4th best dman, had a small knee injury that slowed him down and a bad year that shouldn't devalue him as much as everyone does. That's a terrible return for your second best winger on the team combined with your 3rd/4th dman. Just no
Jul. 14, 2019 at 7:41 a.m.
B
Quoting: Dtrain327
I don't get it, people on AGM value shattenkirk as if he's a 7th defenseman on any team but he's not. He's the rangers 3rd-4th best dman, had a small knee injury that slowed him down and a bad year that shouldn't devalue him as much as everyone does. That's a terrible return for your second best winger on the team combined with your 3rd/4th dman. Just no

Well, you just have to look around the league, teams are maxed out or set. It's all about the cap. Gorton's been offering Shat @1/2 around the league for a year with at no avail. Kreider is like Trouba, he wants money and only has a couple of landing spots in mind, GMs know this. It's not player value anymore, it's the contract value. This Colorado value is fair unfortunately. Still better than paying C fricken Kreider 7x7.3m, yuk!
Shakabakes liked this.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 7:53 a.m.

While I agree with you that Shattenkirk could perform better on a healthy knee, that's simply just a big "if" at this point.

He hasn't played up to his Contract. He hasn't been great in his own zone. And his Offensive production hasn't outweighed those Defensive deficiencies.

Now taking into account that the Rangers are not only looking to shed some Cap going into next Season, but they also happen to be jam packed on the right side. Not only with the emergence of DeAngelo, but the acquisitions of Trouba and Fox. Dealing from a position of strength, it makes sense to try and move out a big Defensive Contract (since you can't move Staal or Smith) to free up Roster and Cap space.

While I think Shattenkirk has the potential to be better than he has been these last 2 Seasons, it's just word of mouth at this point. Other teams are wary of his knee, and rightfully so. Retaining 50% should be enough to move him out, but I wouldn't expect much more in return for compensation.

If we could also get Kamenev (wouldn't have minded Greer, up until his bar fight) or a 3rd thrown in, then great. But not holding my breath. Being one of the better Defenseman on what was an awful Defensive squad really doesn't get as much as you would think.
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 9:03 a.m.
Really wish that I could stop seeing this exact trade.. Colorado doesnt need/want another RHD that's their most set position... they have filled out their depth scoring issue, only thing Colorado is doing is signing their RFAs just because they have salary cap to spare doesnt mean they will next year, sakic is thinking ahead
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 10:16 a.m.

you are absolutely correct... it's mind boggling.
Dtrain327 liked this.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 10:44 a.m.
vosse9
Quoting: JeffW
Really wish that I could stop seeing this exact trade.. Colorado doesnt need/want another RHD that's their most set position... they have filled out their depth scoring issue, only thing Colorado is doing is signing their RFAs just because they have salary cap to spare doesnt mean they will next year, sakic is thinking ahead

I don’t think your right d is as set as you claim. Putting a lot on Makar for a full season and not much behind him. Timmins coming off a full year out with a concussion. Shattenkirk would be a solid buffer for them
Shakabakes liked this.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 11:19 a.m.
Quoting: vosse9
I don’t think your right d is as set as you claim. Putting a lot on Makar for a full season and not much behind him. Timmins coming off a full year out with a concussion. Shattenkirk would be a solid buffer for them

I would rather take the chance with makar, timmins, Johnson, Rosen, connaughton then add shattenkirk and delay timmins for 2 more years, also that's assuming shattenkirk waives his no trade to go back to denver, because hes from NY, I'm assuming which is why he signed there
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 11:55 a.m.
vosse9
I would rather take the chance with makar, timmins, Johnson, Rosen, connaughton then add shattenkirk and delay timmins for 2 more years, also that's assuming shattenkirk waives his no trade to go back to denver, because hes from NY, I'm assuming which is why he signed there

They made a great run last year in the playoffs. Upgraded some up front, but that d is not strong enough for a cup run. Some of their younger guys may not be able to break into the lineup at this point so if they do want to make a run might have to sacrifice one and a pick. I think they need a scoring winger and a steady right d man to be a true contender. From the rangers I’d add one of Kreider/Buchnevich and Shattenkirk/Deangelo. Certainly other teams and players to go after but that’s from my team perspective
Jul. 14, 2019 at 12:19 p.m.
They made a great run last year in the playoffs. Upgraded some up front, but that d is not strong enough for a cup run. Some of their younger guys may not be able to break into the lineup at this point so if they do want to make a run might have to sacrifice one and a pick. I think they need a scoring winger and a steady right d man to be a true contender. From the rangers I’d add one of Kreider/Buchnevich and Shattenkirk/Deangelo. Certainly other teams and players to go after but that’s from my team perspective

But you have to realize, the guy that may not break the lineup is going to be a #6 dman.. with johnson(former allstar)..cole(2 time.cup winner) girard who's emerging into an great player, makar who did amazing in the playoffs and is on track to be a top 2 dman in the league... zadorov who crushes everything and was great in the playoffs... the avalanche are finally in a position of strength on the blueline. Even if they brought shattenkirk in, I still wouldnt replace anyone I just mention for him, he'd be that 6th guy... bringing in a 6th defenseman wont make them a contending team if they werent already
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 12:34 p.m.
vosse9
But you have to realize, the guy that may not break the lineup is going to be a #6 dman.. with johnson(former allstar)..cole(2 time.cup winner) girard who's emerging into an great player, makar who did amazing in the playoffs and is on track to be a top 2 dman in the league... zadorov who crushes everything and was great in the playoffs... the avalanche are finally in a position of strength on the blueline. Even if they brought shattenkirk in, I still wouldnt replace anyone I just mention for him, he'd be that 6th guy... bringing in a 6th defenseman wont make them a contending team if they werent already

I was referring to their forwards breaking the lineup. Be useful to use one as a trade chip. The vet d man I’d trade for would be a stopgap for a year or two to take the pressure off the younger guys. Keep them from playing too many minutes and having to matchup against the other teams top guys
Jul. 14, 2019 at 12:48 p.m.
I was referring to their forwards breaking the lineup. Be useful to use one as a trade chip. The vet d man I’d trade for would be a stopgap for a year or two to take the pressure off the younger guys. Keep them from playing too many minutes and having to matchup against the other teams top guys

Why that's how they learn, I'd want makar and girard on the ice as much as possible but it would be Cole and Johnson, maybe zadorov playing against the top opposition all the time
Girard and makar will play with Mack's line in front of them, or they separate them a 2nd give makar a dependable veteran dman
Jul. 14, 2019 at 1:05 p.m.
vosse9
Why that's how they learn, I'd want makar and girard on the ice as much as possible but it would be Cole and Johnson, maybe zadorov playing against the top opposition all the time
Girard and makar will play with Mack's line in front of them, or they separate them a 2nd give makar a dependable veteran dman

Girard not the strongest in the d zone and Makar unproven so far. Cole out until at least December so who knows how strong he comes back at this point in his career. I would separate them and maybe throw them out together for an offensive start after a pk. Still would try to grab a d man now or definitely at the deadline
Jul. 14, 2019 at 1:18 p.m.
Girard not the strongest in the d zone and Makar unproven so far. Cole out until at least December so who knows how strong he comes back at this point in his career. I would separate them and maybe throw them out together for an offensive start after a pk. Still would try to grab a d man now or definitely at the deadline

Well then I guess I'm glad you're not running the team, the avs have timmins, Rosen, connaughton, barbarieo, and graves all looking to snag the last spot or 2 last spots until December. What the use In bringing in another guy that costs you valuable future forward prospects? Only 6 guys can play and they already have 10 on the payroll
Fox_Czar_Cup liked this.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 1:32 p.m.
Chris Dalton
Quoting: Shakabakes
While I agree with you that Shattenkirk could perform better on a healthy knee, that's simply just a big "if" at this point.

He hasn't played up to his Contract. He hasn't been great in his own zone. And his Offensive production hasn't outweighed those Defensive deficiencies.

Now taking into account that the Rangers are not only looking to shed some Cap going into next Season, but they also happen to be jam packed on the right side. Not only with the emergence of DeAngelo, but the acquisitions of Trouba and Fox. Dealing from a position of strength, it makes sense to try and move out a big Defensive Contract (since you can't move Staal or Smith) to free up Roster and Cap space.

While I think Shattenkirk has the potential to be better than he has been these last 2 Seasons, it's just word of mouth at this point. Other teams are wary of his knee, and rightfully so. Retaining 50% should be enough to move him out, but I wouldn't expect much more in return for compensation.

If we could also get Kamenev (wouldn't have minded Greer, up until his bar fight) or a 3rd thrown in, then great. But not holding my breath. Being one of the better Defenseman on what was an awful Defensive squad really doesn't get as much as you would think.

Shattenkirk at least is an NHL level defenseman unlike Brendan Smith who's contract is much worse. But the thing is it's not like shattenkirk is locked up for 6 more years it's a much more team friendly term. DeAngelo only really rose up so high because he got a career high in his TOI with shattenkirk's poor play/injury. More opportunities is almost always going to result in more points for and offensive minded d man like him. Plus I see trouba running the 1st power play and DeAngelo on the second unit. Which will hurt his numbers. My thing is that this didn't address the bigger issues and just threw away a contract along with lowering the return on your second best winger meanwhile Smith is sitting in the ahl with that fat contract, should be bought out in my opinion
Jul. 14, 2019 at 1:40 p.m.
Chris Dalton
Quoting: DoubleADoubleK
Well, you just have to look around the league, teams are maxed out or set. It's all about the cap. Gorton's been offering Shat @1/2 around the league for a year with at no avail. Kreider is like Trouba, he wants money and only has a couple of landing spots in mind, GMs know this. It's not player value anymore, it's the contract value. This Colorado value is fair unfortunately. Still better than paying C fricken Kreider 7x7.3m, yuk!

There is plenty of room on teams right now aside from the teams stuck with figuring out elite RFAs contracts. You don't lessen the return for your second best winger just to eliminate a contract that in my opinion isn't even close to being as horrible as people make it to be. He's not signed for 6 more years or something, and Smith is worthless so you buy him out since an ahl level defenseman shouldn't be making 4+ million. Kreider would be 30 at the end of his deal so they'd be crazy to give him 7 years at any price in my mind. Shattenkirk I could see pairing with DeAngelo on the 2nd unit since he's a bit more of a shooter where as DeAngelo creates more space and passes on a PP.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll