C
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$900,000$900,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD/RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 2
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,900,000$1,900,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 14, 2019 at 10:33 a.m.
71 or bust
We're worse off after that trade.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 10:34 a.m.
Yup Russell is terrible and to give up two good forwards makes pens worse after this trade
Jul. 14, 2019 at 10:42 a.m.
Quoting: iFishyHD
We're worse off after that trade.

Strategically we are not.

Russell is better than Johnson. And has only 2y term left.
Rust is already replaced with Tanev.
ZAR is injury prone.
Jarry is gone bc has to be waived.

So we've got an experienced defensive defenseman to compliment offensive one Schultz, a former 1st rounder (@4) who wasn't nursed correctly and who would benefit on playing top6 and a 4th rounder for a player who can be substitutd, a prospect who's gonna be paid, a young goalie not needed and a pure cap dump.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 10:47 a.m.
Quoting: Tanger
Yup Russell is terrible and to give up two good forwards makes pens worse after this trade

I see this as an option to move Johnson, could you propose your one?
Russel is better than Johnson, isn't he? I've seen him play much, just look into his stats.

We've got a logjam actually with those forwards in WBS waiting for a chance. I would risk with former talented 1st rounder and move the cup honestly.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.
Quoting: dennisb
I see this as an option to move Johnson, could you propose your one?
Russel is better than Johnson, isn't he? I've seen him play much, just look into his stats.

We've got a logjam actually with those forwards in WBS waiting for a chance. I would risk with former talented 1st rounder and move the cup honestly.

Ya i mean JP is worth a shot but hes still unproven. Id like him though. I wanna get rid of JJ too but Russell might have just as worse stats. And is a bit pricier albeit for lesser term. But not by much. I like tye idea to package JJ into a bigger deal but not for Russell. Try Benning and add a pick going edm way
Jul. 14, 2019 at 10:59 a.m.
Quoting: Tanger
Ya i mean JP is worth a shot but hes still unproven. Id like him though. I wanna get rid of JJ too but Russell might have just as worse stats. And is a bit pricier albeit for lesser term. But not by much. I like tye idea to package JJ into a bigger deal but not for Russell. Try Benning and add a pick going edm way

Actually I thought about Manning in a smaller deal with Johnson grimace Sounds like a desperate move, doesn't it? I don't think it'll be easy to get Benning in a small deal perhaps a little easier than to get Nurse in a blockbuster deal?
Jul. 14, 2019 at 11:04 a.m.
Ya maybe tough to get but if draft pick added is good enough then perhaps. Agree Nurse be over valued
Jul. 14, 2019 at 12:28 p.m.
Banned
oilers fans are still clutching on to this belief that Puljujärvi there is worth anything. He's a bust. No one is going to give up anything of any real value for him.

I will counter you Puljujärvi for Jack Johnson.

You will get a player at least capable of playing in the NHL for one who is not.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 12:33 p.m.
Banned

ZAR is injury prone.

So we've got an experienced defensive defenseman to compliment offensive one Schultz, a former 1st rounder (@4) who wasn't nursed correctly and who would benefit on playing top6 and a 4th rounder for a player who can be substitutd, a prospect who's gonna be paid, a young goalie not needed and a pure cap dump.

Let me just correct the record here.
Russell better than Johnson is very debatable. Personally I'd rather have neither. But at least I know JJ can play better when he doesn't have to spend 4/5 of the year on his off side.
Rust is not replaced. Odds are low Rust is being moved. The more likely player moved is Hornqvist. Rust fits exactly the way they want to play.
ZAR being injury prone is laughable. Missing a month for breaking his hand on someone's head isn't "injury prone"
Jarry will be traded not waived.

I don't know where people get these ideas from.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 1:24 p.m.
Quoting: pharrow
Let me just correct the record here.
Russell better than Johnson is very debatable. Personally I'd rather have neither. But at least I know JJ can play better when he doesn't have to spend 4/5 of the year on his off side.
Rust is not replaced. Odds are low Rust is being moved. The more likely player moved is Hornqvist. Rust fits exactly the way they want to play.
ZAR being injury prone is laughable. Missing a month for breaking his hand on someone's head isn't "injury prone"
Jarry will be traded not waived.

I don't know where people get these ideas from.

Thanks for the reply, seems like it's fair to say 'I think' when it comes to a personal opinion.

Think Russell is basically better to have on this team for 2 years than JJ for 4. Or just buyout one I guess.

Hornqvist for your notice has a NTC contract @5.3M till 2023 when he'll be a 36y power-forward. I'd like to hear a case scenario from you when he's moved. I'd appreciate that as I cannot imagine this.

ZAR has had a concussion and with the way he plays I'd be very hopeful that incident was the single one. I liked when he was attached to Malkin and Kessel but would propose he'll be a bottom forward here because right now there are other wingers with the more advanced skillset (Kahun, Galchenuk). On the other side there are a lot of young wingers in WBS making ZAR expendible. I like Rus as well as you but see him as a valuable asset other parties could be interested in and we could replace with less problems.

As for Puljuyarvi I'd say that proposing JJ for JP is either trolling or being a silly proposal. Rather keep JP than accept a cap dump for 4 years. JP has shown skills on a Laine-Aho-Puljuyarvi line but Edmonton used him in a limited role of bottom 6 for 13 mins. If you say a 4th rounder nothing I'd be OK with that bc many team will take a chance to gamble on him for that price.

Last. Jarry has to be waived to play in AHL or they will be stuck with 3 goalies. I would say there are not a lot of teams in need of an unproven backup goaile (Jarry) to trade for. I can guess San Jose and Calgary maybe (better have an experienced good backup for a projected playoffs team). Can you propose your version of a trade? I'll counter PJ for Jarry by now.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 2:18 p.m.
Russel is better than Johnson, isn't he?

No, he isn't. At all. People are so blinded bY wanting to get rid of Johnson that they are willing to suggest anything to get it done, even making the team worse overall just "to move Johnson".

That leaves Puljujarvi. What has Puljujarvi done that makes you want him? Not that you have seen 50 other AGMs trade for him, what have YOU seen that makes you want him?

The answer is nothing. Ziltch. And you are trading Rust, Reese and Jarry for him. For ziltch.

... just for this obsessive need people have to eject Johnson from the roster.

You gave Puljujarvi $1.5Mx2, which is gross overpay for what he brings to the ice, but I doubt the Oilers would match that anyway, so just Offer Sheet him and get him for free.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 3:01 p.m.
Quoting: Yojimbo
No, he isn't. At all. People are so blinded bY wanting to get rid of Johnson that they are willing to suggest anything to get it done, even making the team worse overall just "to move Johnson".

That leaves Puljujarvi. What has Puljujarvi done that makes you want him? Not that you have seen 50 other AGMs trade for him, what have YOU seen that makes you want him?

The answer is nothing. Ziltch. And you are trading Rust, Reese and Jarry for him. For ziltch.

... just for this obsessive need people have to eject Johnson from the roster.

You gave Puljujarvi $1.5Mx2, which is gross overpay for what he brings to the ice, but I doubt the Oilers would match that anyway, so just Offer Sheet him and get him for free.

People are born to make mistakes. I like how you've written about it. I liked how Puljuyarvi played in juniors, don't think it could vanish. If it's his hockey IQ then forget about it. The team needs now a right-hand shot scorer, so I thought he could suit that need. There cannot be many options.

But I really don't know what's wrong with Russell, numbers are average. Maybe you could tell what that package would get (distractedly): a D, a prospect, pick?
Jul. 14, 2019 at 4:49 p.m.
Banned
Thanks for the reply, seems like it's fair to say 'I think' when it comes to a personal opinion.

Think Russell is basically better to have on this team for 2 years than JJ for 4. Or just buyout one I guess.

Hornqvist for your notice has a NTC contract @5.3M till 2023 when he'll be a 36y power-forward. I'd like to hear a case scenario from you when he's moved. I'd appreciate that as I cannot imagine this.

ZAR has had a concussion and with the way he plays I'd be very hopeful that incident was the single one. I liked when he was attached to Malkin and Kessel but would propose he'll be a bottom forward here because right now there are other wingers with the more advanced skillset (Kahun, Galchenuk). On the other side there are a lot of young wingers in WBS making ZAR expendible. I like Rus as well as you but see him as a valuable asset other parties could be interested in and we could replace with less problems.

As for Puljuyarvi I'd say that proposing JJ for JP is either trolling or being a silly proposal. Rather keep JP than accept a cap dump for 4 years. JP has shown skills on a Laine-Aho-Puljuyarvi line but Edmonton used him in a limited role of bottom 6 for 13 mins. If you say a 4th rounder nothing I'd be OK with that bc many team will take a chance to gamble on him for that price.

Last. Jarry has to be waived to play in AHL or they will be stuck with 3 goalies. I would say there are not a lot of teams in need of an unproven backup goaile (Jarry) to trade for. I can guess San Jose and Calgary maybe (better have an experienced good backup for a projected playoffs team). Can you propose your version of a trade? I'll counter PJ for Jarry by now.

Clearly Hornqvist has a NTC, even with it, he'll be moved before Rust. This is a team that wants to be younger and faster. Rust won't be the guy traded because of that. You act like they can't get Hornqvist to waive if they wanted him to. They could.
Jarry doesn't have to be waived anywhere, he will be traded by then. You act like it's hard to trade him, it's not. He makes league minimum.
As far as ZAR having concusion issues, When, from one cheap shot hit by a goon? He isn't a made of glass player in the least.

JJ for JP is about as fair as it gets. Because that's what the value of JP is. It's nothing. He's done nothing at the NHL level to have any value at all. He's had ample opportunity to do so.
I doubt he would even make the team.
PS JJ contract is 2 years. Because he'd be out the door at the expansion draft when they have to give something up to keep seattle off their players anyway. So he'd be the cap dump going out.
So why do you want to burden the team with a worhtless more expensive contract over the next 2 years, that has a NTC on it? No sense in dealing with that, it's probably a worse contract than JJ because you are limited where you can move it. They can send JJ anywhere they want and he's not that hard to move.
Jul. 14, 2019 at 6:27 p.m.
People are born to make mistakes. I like how you've written about it. I liked how Puljuyarvi played in juniors, don't think it could vanish. If it's his hockey IQ then forget about it. The team needs now a right-hand shot scorer, so I thought he could suit that need. There cannot be many options.

You want a RHS scorer? Puljujarvi has 17 goals in 139 games. That's 10 goals per 82. Is that what you consider a scorer? A scorer worth giving up Rust, Reese and jarry for? A scorer worth $1.5Mx2? 10 goals? BYW... Rust is righthended, scores more (Puljujarvi has 37 career points, Rust had 35 last season alone) and does many other things on the ice that Puljujarvi doesn't even realize is part of the game (D, physical, etc). Reese also beats Puljujarvi in every offensive category, plus physicality and defense, only he is a lefty.

But I really don't know what's wrong with Russell, numbers are average.

That's why you should do more than just looks at stat lines. And if his numbers are just average, how is getting him helping anything? Sure, 2 less years of term than Johnson, but $750K more per year.

Maybe you could tell what that package would get (distractedly): a D, a prospect, pick?

I don't understand the need to move Rust or Reese. I'd like to get Johnson's contract off the books, but I am not willing to overpay someone to do that. I do think that it is possible to do something like Johnson and a 4th for a 7th. However, I am not sure that the Penguins are even looking to move Johnson, for the same reasons that they signed him in the first place. One of Jarry or DeSmith will need to be moved for waiver reasons. If they are looking to move Johnson, maybe Johnson and a backup for fc's/pick.
Jul. 18, 2019 at 10:56 a.m.
71 or bust

ZAR is injury prone.

Kris Russell is in the Jack Johnson tier of defenseman despite not being Jack Johnson.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll