Forums/Armchair-GM

Marner wants to stay a Leaf but wants Matthews money

Created by: SammyT_51
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 15, 2019
Published: Jul. 15, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
You cant have both, Mitch. Pick one. Does he want to go down as one of the most favourite players in the Torontos history or does he want to go down as money-grabbing kid? I hope he chooses wisely.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$9,416,000
1$850,000
Trades
TOR
  1. Honka, Julius [RFA Rights]
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$81,317,366$0$132,500$182,634

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$9,416,000$9,416,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
RD
UFA
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 15, 2019 at 3:21 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Marner 8x10 and go down a leaf legend, 80 million guaranteed over, trying to hit again in 5 years when the cap has plateaued, take your money and run, Seattle only going to possibly bring the cap up for so long, the league is only as strong as its weakest link, so at some point it’s going to level off and your contract might not be a peak, but probably not a epic bargain either. Mackinnon, draisaitle, Jones, and scheifele possibly needed some better advice, but that’s only a handful to offset the larger number on the other side of the ledger.
SammyT_51, Maj and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 4:08 a.m.
Frolik Deez Nutz
Hmmm, does someone want to get paid the most they can, for what they're worth? Or take a discount because it betters the billionaire bosses? May as well poop on him some more. Winning a cup doesnt equal dollars for the players. If it's getting called a business, then it's a business.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 4:25 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe
Quoting: DerpNation
Hmmm, does someone want to get paid the most they can, for what they're worth? Or take a discount because it betters the billionaire bosses? May as well poop on him some more. Winning a cup doesnt equal dollars for the players. If it's getting called a business, then it's a business.

Yes, but I think his management team is dropping the ball, attempting to leave 20 million of guarantees off the table, just in a dream of double dipping after 5 years instead of 8, 60 million in 5 years or 80 million in 8 years, there’s a lot of what ifs in 3 years or 5 years or 8 years. Hockey is a physical sport. And then there’s the hometown leaf aspect where he’s sell anything under the sun, his hockey contract times 2 or 3 in Toronto and probably less anywhere else. I just don’t see any reason to mess with his perfect image over contract, unless it is something about nmc, or ntc, but a few million, I don’t think is in his best interest. I still remember Keith tkachuk as 22 year old captain and 40 goal scorer with the jets making 400000, greatest thing since sliced bread, jets match his offer sheet to Chicago for 7 ‘million, all of a sudden he has wholes in his game.
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 4:26 a.m.
I'm pretty certain he will sign for 7 digits (mid to high 9M range), Point's contract will likely have a lot of influence and I think Point will sign first.

Also Kerfoot and Spezza sucks at PK, IMO thats Toronto's biggest weakness right now, Marner and Hyman are their two best PK forwards now (followed by Kapanen)
https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/2019.html - scroll to the bottom and sort by TOI short handed
https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/COL/2019.html - Here's Colorado's

I also think Bracco is NHL ready but 4th line would kill his progression.
personally I think TOR should move Kerfoot to Tavares wing, Johnsson with Matthews, then look to move either Bracco or Kapanen for a 3C that can center the PK since that is your largest position of strength/overflow

Other than that opinion, I like the Dalas trade
Jul. 15, 2019 at 4:37 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex

For sure he wants to be paid as much as possible but those expectation are nowhere near close to reality. If he was insisting on 10mil mark and Leafs wanted 9mil per as they possibly want now, that would be realistic and I would give those extra bucks despite some cap things because I want my best players but to demand as much as he wants is completely unrealistic. Taking lesser contract would not hurt Mitch financially. He is pretty rich right now even due to many endorsements. Lower cap hit would look good in public eyes and it would help the team to succeed and I bet winning cup with hometown team for guy who makes so much endorsements equals dollars.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 4:42 a.m.
Frolik Deez Nutz
Edited Jul. 15, 2019 at 4:48 a.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51
For sure he wants to be paid as much as possible but those expectation are nowhere near close to reality. If he was insisting on 10mil mark and Leafs wanted 9mil per as they possibly want now, that would be realistic and I would give those extra bucks despite some cap things because I want my best players but to demand as much as he wants is completely unrealistic. Taking lesser contract would not hurt Mitch financially. He is pretty rich right now even due to many endorsements. Lower cap hit would look good in public eyes and it would help the team to succeed and I bet winning cup with hometown team for guy who makes so much endorsements equals dollars.

Well it's a set value of worth. The leafs are letting a core set of players go, to sign a big free agent like Tavares to a huge deal. Marner out performed Tavares. If hes not worth 10.5 million, then the organization has some value problems. Why do you think Lou left the organization, or Nylander held out on negotiations. This stuff doesnt just happen for no reason.

You cant just try to convince players that their worth is less because it suits the betterment of the team. Especially after signing a player to a massive contract that affects the teams ability to spend elsewhere.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 4:46 a.m.
Bandwagon fairweathe

Marner has to watch what he wishes for, a move to some of the different locales around the league, could lead to advertising money drying up, not sure what rink they are playing in next year, possible movement, he’s got it pretty good in Toronto. I’m all for him getting his dough, but with contracts in hockey, I would take the longest largest guarantee you can find and let the chips fall where they may.
SammyT_51 and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 4:48 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Well it's a set value of worth. The leafs are letting a core set of players go, to sign a big free agent like Tavares to a huge deal. Marner out performed Tavares. If hes not worth 10.5 million, then the organization has some value problems. Why do you think Lou left the organization, or Nylander held out on negotiations. This stuff doesnt just happen for no reason

Marner did not outperform Tavares. Tavares carried him and got his stats bigger in every way. There are many many stats proving it. Marners worth 9mil per on 6yr deal nothing more. Dubas tends to overpay his best players by 0.5M which basically means around 9.5x6 is fair contract for Mitch and slight overpayment. He is not worth more than 10. If Dubas gave Marner Matthews money at 11.634, it would be like giving Josh Bailey 9mil AAV. Which would be stupid. Lou left organization because his contract was done and he moved onto new challenge with NYI. They wanted him to stay in advisory role but he did not want. Dubas is great. Also Nylander held out on negotiations for fair contract. Leafs were lowballing him that is truth. But they settled on fair contract after all. Marner would settle on fair contract with them as well. And it would start with 9.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 4:49 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Ledge_And_Dairy
I'm pretty certain he will sign for 7 digits (mid to high 9M range), Point's contract will likely have a lot of influence and I think Point will sign first.

Also Kerfoot and Spezza sucks at PK, IMO thats Toronto's biggest weakness right now, Marner and Hyman are their two best PK forwards now (followed by Kapanen)
https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/TOR/2019.html - scroll to the bottom and sort by TOI short handed
https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/COL/2019.html - Here's Colorado's

I also think Bracco is NHL ready but 4th line would kill his progression.
personally I think TOR should move Kerfoot to Tavares wing, Johnsson with Matthews, then look to move either Bracco or Kapanen for a 3C that can center the PK since that is your largest position of strength/overflow

Other than that opinion, I like the Dalas trade

I agree with that Marner thing. He gets signed in mid 9s for 6yrs thats what I signed him for in this ACGM team.

I certainly hope Tavares plays on PK because he is good at that and I also think Shore will play C on PK which he was good at. I just looked at Kerfoots PK stats and yikes.. I hope he is not there lol But Im sure that would get figured out.

Kerfoot is planned to be 3C with Johnsson and Kappy on his wings which would be great 3rd line. There are some issues but I believe those would get figured out.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 5:01 a.m.
Edited Jul. 15, 2019 at 5:18 a.m.
I heard Matthews thinks hes worth 8 x 13M so :

8 x 13M
7 x 12,5M
6 x 12M for Marner
5 x 11,634

You cant have both, Mitch. Pick one. Does he want to go down as one of the most favourite players in the Torontos history or does he want to go down as money-grabbing kid? I hope he chooses wisely.

Its not the kid, its Ferris and Paul, the only part where kid decides about in negotiations process is not putting pen on any of infamous offer-sheets that are supposed flying around every second.....
Jul. 15, 2019 at 5:10 a.m.
I agree with that Marner thing. He gets signed in mid 9s for 6yrs thats what I signed him for in this ACGM team.

I certainly hope Tavares plays on PK because he is good at that and I also think Shore will play C on PK which he was good at. I just looked at Kerfoots PK stats and yikes.. I hope he is not there lol But Im sure that would get figured out.

Kerfoot is planned to be 3C with Johnsson and Kappy on his wings which would be great 3rd line. There are some issues but I believe those would get figured out.

Ah forgot about Shore, since he wasn't in your line up (follow the leafs somewhat since they're local to me, but im a flames fan at heart). Yeah he was a good pick up.
As for Kerfoot, I understand your reasoning behind having him as a 3C but I also think he would be a better suited player on the 1st line then Hyman.

Tavares had decent pk stats in NY 2 years ago (and they had the worst GA that year) so I see your reasoning there.
SammyT_51 and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 6:47 a.m.
AAAHHH !!! FIRE !!!!
Why is a T Rex worrying about hockey, aren't there more important things such as extinction to worry about ?
Jul. 15, 2019 at 6:52 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Maj
Why is a T Rex worrying about hockey, aren't there more important things such as extinction to worry about ?

My friends are all gone but I survived. I now am concentrated on making hockey amazing from my experiences millions of years ago. Btw. We played hockey there too. The most worrying thing about asteroid was that rinks melted. #sucks
Jul. 15, 2019 at 7:10 a.m.
AAAHHH !!! FIRE !!!!
My friends are all gone but I survived. I now am concentrated on making hockey amazing from my experiences millions of years ago. Btw. We played hockey there too. The most worrying thing about asteroid was that rinks melted. #sucks

How did you survive the ice age ? I guess skating around all the time makes you warm.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 7:53 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Maj
How did you survive the ice age ? I guess skating around all the time makes you warm.

I was perfecting my edge work!
Maj liked this.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 8:22 a.m.
Marner did not outperform Tavares. Tavares carried him and got his stats bigger in every way. There are many many stats proving it. Marners worth 9mil per on 6yr deal nothing more. Dubas tends to overpay his best players by 0.5M which basically means around 9.5x6 is fair contract for Mitch and slight overpayment. He is not worth more than 10. If Dubas gave Marner Matthews money at 11.634, it would be like giving Josh Bailey 9mil AAV. Which would be stupid. Lou left organization because his contract was done and he moved onto new challenge with NYI. They wanted him to stay in advisory role but he did not want. Dubas is great. Also Nylander held out on negotiations for fair contract. Leafs were lowballing him that is truth. But they settled on fair contract after all. Marner would settle on fair contract with them as well. And it would start with 9.

It really is quite amazing if you look at the Islanders stats over the last decade , Tavares' wingers production spike 20-50% when they play with him and then they go back to decent 2nd liners without him. Moulson fell off the planet...

Mitch is better than Moulson, Parenteau, Okposo, Bailey, and Lee, and would probably be roughly a ppg player on his own but I wonder if he really wants to move on to another team with weaker centres and be the main guy as opposed to just the best winger.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 8:35 a.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
Marner isn't getting Matthews money with the Leafs or any other NHL team. So it's just where he plays (if at all) this year. 95% chance he's a Leaf.

A comment on Goulet stats about Marner. Marner got many points as the RHD on the PP.....important yes, but it shows he wasn't a dominating right winger as his overall point total suggests.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 8:37 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Goulet
It really is quite amazing if you look at the Islanders stats over the last decade , Tavares' wingers production spike 20-50% when they play with him and then they go back to decent 2nd liners without him. Moulson fell off the planet...

Mitch is better than Moulson, Parenteau, Okposo, Bailey, and Lee, and would probably be roughly a ppg player on his own but I wonder if he really wants to move on to another team with weaker centres and be the main guy as opposed to just the best winger.

Exactly. Mitch is great player but imo if he plays with Dubois for example, he is going to 70 point range top. This counts with every team. Tavares had best winger in his career with him but Mitch is not as good as his point totals suggest. Put Nylander on that spot and he scores as much or maybe even more. He and JT have secret magic to them because last year it seemed like any time they stood on ice together they scored. We wil see what happens but it would be stupid for Mitch to go elsewhere.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 9:50 a.m.
Exactly. Mitch is great player but imo if he plays with Dubois for example, he is going to 70 point range top. This counts with every team. Tavares had best winger in his career with him but Mitch is not as good as his point totals suggest. Put Nylander on that spot and he scores as much or maybe even more. He and JT have secret magic to them because last year it seemed like any time they stood on ice together they scored. We wil see what happens but it would be stupid for Mitch to go elsewhere.

I want to see Nylander get a shot with JT and put up similar numbers to Marner. See how fast the salary demands drop when he's been replaced by a player making less than 7M.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 9:57 a.m.

All very true. Also don't forget that Mitch lived for free last year (didn't pay rent as his dad's friend let him stay in a condo for free!). I like the Dallas deal I would just like Janmark to be part of it (which I no won't happen just like his game is all) as we would need them to retain probably 50% and would cost to much asset capital from our end.
Jul. 15, 2019 at 10:04 a.m.
Well it's a set value of worth. The leafs are letting a core set of players go, to sign a big free agent like Tavares to a huge deal. Marner out performed Tavares. If hes not worth 10.5 million, then the organization has some value problems. Why do you think Lou left the organization, or Nylander held out on negotiations. This stuff doesnt just happen for no reason.

You cant just try to convince players that their worth is less because it suits the betterment of the team. Especially after signing a player to a massive contract that affects the teams ability to spend elsewhere.

Lou didn't leave Shanahan was already planning on giving the job to Dubas (Lou even talked about it in his introductory press conference). Also Lou is known for getting or at least trying to get players to take less for the betterment of the team (also stated in his press conference quote un quote it's about the crest on the front of the jersey not the name on the back). Go and look at Tavares's stats with and away from Mitch and Mitch's stats with and away from JT (I think you'll be surprised).
Jul. 15, 2019 at 10:34 a.m.

You read my mind...scary lol
Jul. 15, 2019 at 10:37 a.m.
Quoting: Laudan
I heard Matthews thinks hes worth 8 x 13M so :

8 x 13M
7 x 12,5M
6 x 12M for Marner
5 x 11,634

Its not the kid, its Ferris and Paul, the only part where kid decides about in negotiations process is not putting pen on any of infamous offer-sheets that are supposed flying around every second.....

Marner is an adult and in charge of his own life (makes his own decisions). If Marner robbed a store for example is it his dad and agent going to jail pr Mitch?
Jul. 15, 2019 at 10:45 a.m.
Edited Jul. 15, 2019 at 10:54 a.m.
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
Marner is an adult and in charge of his own life (makes his own decisions). If Marner robbed a store for example is it his dad and agent going to jail pr Mitch?

Well...this is highly debatable thing.....i dont know your age and you might be ( or was in your youth ) very independent person, but somewhere those things arent built like that.

1) kid is playing PS4 at home and Ferris serves him over the phone whatever he wants ppl told him and whats offered and he got a hint to wait a bit more what will happened cause he has Dubarelli in his hands ( Ferris part to crop as much Fee as he can ).

2) hypotetic : kid is 22y and can have some inferiority complexes cause of whatever did happened at home, how do we know what type of "ruler at home" his dad was, so can you asure me that kid didnt told them both hey, lets sign 8 x 10M and Paul snaped him over his head and told him : You do what i told ya, i want my money back that i invested into your bloody career and everything i have to sacrifice so you are here where you are now.....
Jul. 15, 2019 at 11:02 a.m.
Quoting: Laudan
Well...this is highly debatable thing.....i dont know your age and you might be ( or was in your youth ) very independent person, but somewhere those things arent built like that.

1) kid is playing PS4 at home and Ferris serves him over the phone whatever he wants ppl told him and whats offered and he got a hint to wait a bit more what will happened cause he has Dubarelli in his hands ( Ferris part to crop as much Fee as he can ).

2) hypotetic : kid is 22y and can have some inferiority complexes cause of whatever did happened at home, how do we know what type of "ruler at home" his dad was, so can you asure me that kid didnt told them both hey, lets sign 8 x 10M and Paul snaped him over his head and told him : You do what i told ya, i want my money back that i invested into your bloody career and everything i have to sacrifice so you are here where you are now.....

I was independent in my youth, I was forced to be. I spent alot of my childhood on the streets raising myself, hence my terrible grammar and punctuation but got alot of life experience (thinking of sports was a great distraction for me and is what kept me warm at night). I agree with what your saying but Mitch could switch agents if he wants\wanted too (unless his dad wouldn't\wont let him. I hope you dont judge me on my grammar and punctuation or lack of education as what I lack in that I make up for in life experience and sports knowledge.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll