Forums/Armchair-GM

A new leaffor Nylander

Created by: Ccc
Team: 2019-20 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 15, 2019
Published: Jul. 15, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Nylander is a situation of his own, has he shown he could become a 60-70 point guy for his career, yes, has he possibly benefited from his line mates like Matthews or Marner etc, yes. Do I think he’s worth a ton, no. Is he worth trading for, maybe.

At the end of the day Nylander probably won’t be traded, or atleast to the sharks, but the sharks have had success with “disgruntled players”, or have a culture that many teams don’t, they welcome personalities and embrace the risk or cons of someone and hope to bring the best out of them. It has worked for Kane (who anyone says he’s **** cause of a playoffs that wasn’t great after a very success regular season but prior dealt with one of the most terrible things you can imagine just before the playoffs started is a complete mental case for trashing him), and they have a culture created from the top down to the players and staff like Jumbo in being a “family” which is always gonna have a dysfunctional aspect but at the end of the day works and puts winning in the spotlight when the time comes. Nylander is a huge gamble, but a few fellow countrymen like Karlsson and Sorenson could help him mesh in with the team.
Free Agent Signings
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,000,000
1$1,000,000
Trades
SJS
    To anybody
    SJS
    1. Nylander, William
    2. 2021 2nd round pick (TOR)
    Additional Details:
    Nylander is the only person on the leafs that has reasonable value to get in return while gaining salary relief if traded, the smartest option for the leafs to move him and keep marner with a comfortable amount of room, because keep Nylander only creates a problem, moving him makes a solution and this team wins with or without Nylander.
    TOR
    1. Chmelevski, Alexander
    2. Ferraro, Mario
    3. Karlsson, Melker
    4. 2020 3rd round pick (PHI)
    5. 2020 5th round pick (OTT)
    Additional Details:
    You give up a top end sharks prospect in Alexander, and a defensive prospect (who has his cons) but can possibly make the NHL, with the potential of being your 4-6th man.

Additionally you gain a roster player in Karlsson who is a great PK guy who will slot in 3rd line easily.

You give up Chmelevski due to not wanting to lose a 1st round pick, in the end Nylander is already established himself of being able to play in the NHL and get points but had a terrible year which decreased his value, a new leaf is best for him and the team but he isn’t worth nothing and the Dubas isn’t stupid.
    Buyouts
    DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the PIT
    Logo of the WSH
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the TOR
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    Logo of the SJS
    ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
    21$81,500,000$72,313,116$660,750$0$9,186,884

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
    Logo of the San Jose Sharks
    $3,000,000$3,000,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 4
    $8,000,000$8,000,000
    C
    M-NTC
    UFA - 8
    Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
    $6,962,366$6,962,366
    RW
    UFA - 5
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LW, RW
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $5,625,000$5,625,000
    C
    UFA - 3
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    RW, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,500,000$1,500,000
    LW, RW
    UFA - 2
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 1
    $1,000,000$1,000,000
    LW, C
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    LW
    UFA - 1
    $700,000$700,000
    C
    UFA - 2
    $925,000$925,000
    C, LW
    UFA - 2
    Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
    $1,635,000$1,635,000
    LD
    UFA - 1
    $10,000,000$10,000,000
    RD
    NMC
    UFA - 8
    $5,750,000$5,750,000
    G
    M-NTC
    UFA - 5
    $675,000$675,000
    LD/RD
    UFA - 1
    $5,280,000$5,280,000
    RD
    M-NTC
    UFA - 6
    $723,333$723,333
    G
    RFA - 2
    $7,000,000$7,000,000
    LD/RD
    NMC
    UFA - 7
    $960,000$960,000
    RD
    UFA - 1
    ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
    $800,000$800,000
    RD
    UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
    • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 3:21 p.m.
    I like the in-depth thought surrounding this but I do think both Marner and Nylander are retained by the Leafs unless someone silly offer-sheet’s Marner 11mil+.

Nylander deserves a full year to prove to himself & Leafs he can be better than his 2018-19 partial season. At least until 2019-20 TDL.
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 3:23 p.m.
    ? San Jose Sharks ?
    Quoting: Plumber
    I like the in-depth thought surrounding this but I do think both Marner and Nylander are retained by the Leafs unless someone silly offer-sheet’s Marner 11mil+.

Nylander deserves a full year to prove himself & Leafs he can be better than his 2018-19 partial season.

100% agree, and with the new number change I suspect him staying a leaf, but as you said the Leafs are day by day without signing marner at a risk of an offer sheet, r the thought of. I think they both stay but if someone sends out just below the 4 1st round picks compensation offer sheet to marner and he signs it because I think he would just to get the money determined honestly at this point, than the leafs are in a tough spot.
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 3:33 p.m.
    Richie
    This is not even close to enough to get Nylander. If the Leafs decided to actually trade him they would be aiming for a top 4 D in return or a great defence prospect. Instead they aren't getting back any current NHLers, prospects picked in first round or first round picks for a 22 year old who has hit 60+ points twice and had one bad season after sitting out half of it. If the tables were turned and it was a Leafs fan saying Meier 2nd for Bracco, Duzsak, 3rd and 5th they'd be getting chirped about how nuts Leafs fans are. Writing a lot doesn't make it a good trade
    TML1991 and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 3:36 p.m.
    ? San Jose Sharks ?
    Quoting: mrichards15
    This is not even close to enough to get Nylander. If the Leafs decided to actually trade him they would be aiming for a top 4 D in return or a great defence prospect. Instead they aren't getting back any current NHLers, prospects picked in first round or first round picks for a 22 year old who has hit 60+ points twice and had one bad season after sitting out half of it. If the tables were turned and it was a Leafs fan saying Meier 2nd for Bracco, Duzsak, 3rd and 5th they'd be getting chirped about how nuts Leafs fans are. Writing a lot doesn't make it a good trade

Clearly you didn’t read all of it lol cause you’re so frustrated for some reason. Second Meier and Nylander are in very different situations. So that is a bad trade for Meier. Third just because a prospect ain’t picked in the first round doesn’t mean they’re bad lmfao. Pavelski, Jamie Benn, Lundqvist, Tyler Johnson (undrafted) are a few very late round picks and that’s just a few. There just as many busts in the first round as their is gems in the late rounds, Yakupov isn’t even in the NHL anymore lmao. Don’t judge a prospect based of their draft number.
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
    Banned
    The best asset by a huge margin in this trade is Nylander. I don't know enough about Alexander but the other stuff thrown in by the Sharks is close to the same value as a 2nd. This is not even close.
    Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 5:08 p.m.
    Quoting: Cmin
    100% agree, and with the new number change I suspect him staying a leaf, but as you said the Leafs are day by day without signing marner at a risk of an offer sheet, r the thought of. I think they both stay but if someone sends out just below the 4 1st round picks compensation offer sheet to marner and he signs it because I think he would just to get the money determined honestly at this point, than the leafs are in a tough spot.

If Marner signed an offer sheet like that 1st off the leafs would match. 2nd off they are already in (cap) trouble based on the amount he's asking for. 3rd if the leafs didn't match we would have (cap space the most valuable commodity in the NHL) + picks and Mitch would lose a ton of money from all of his endorsement deals (both current and future) so it would hurt him more. 4th if the leafs where to trade Nylander it would be for a top 4 RHD (that we desperately need) not future's. 5th with or without Marner we are still likely an early playoff exit team so even though it would hurt to lose him we would be in a similar situation as we are with him. I think that's kinda the point mrichards15 was trying to make (although I'm certainly not trying to speak on his behalf, this is my opinion but I agree with what he is saying)
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 5:10 p.m.
    Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
    If Marner signed an offer sheet like that 1st off the leafs would match. 2nd off they are already in (cap) trouble based on the amount he's asking for. 3rd if the leafs didn't match we would have (cap space the most valuable commodity in the NHL) + picks and Mitch would lose a ton of money from all of his endorsement deals (both current and future) so it would hurt him more. 4th if the leafs where to trade Nylander it would be for a top 4 RHD (that we desperately need) not future's. 5th with or without Marner we are still likely an early playoff exit team so even though it would hurt to lose him we would be in a similar situation as we are with him. I think that's kinda the point mrichards15 was trying to make (although I'm certainly not trying to speak on his behalf, this is my opinion but I agree with what he is saying)

I don't think he was referring too what round a player is drafted in.
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 5:18 p.m.
    ? San Jose Sharks ?
    I don't think he was referring too what round a player is drafted in.

I agree with the RHD the whole post stated this isn’t a “hey this is super gonna happen” lol, my point was not many teams are going to say hey, young stud defenseman “insert name”, is worth trading for Nylander. Defenseman are arguably the most valued pieces currently, Barrie who is by advanced stat standards a downgrade to Rielly asked for Kadri and more, Kadri is more valuable than Nylander IMO currently (CURRENTLY). If you asked New Jersey for Will Butcher, or Columbus for Jones, or even Nashville for (whos not young) Ellis; the asking price is going to cost double Nylander. Especially when Toronto who’d “prefer” more cap space (everyone would) is the team that NEEDS to keep Marner (which I said they will) and NEEDS a real top 4 d man, Toronto is going to be doing the talking. As I said I think in the end Toronto keeps both guys and will have success in the end. That’s why I stated to read the description. And you point makes sense and you’re right, toronto will be a playoff team, but my point was Nylander doesn’t make Toronto a playoff team, they already are one. And in the end if Nylander is moved IRL I would see them asking (if it was San Jose) for Dillon/ Merkley atleast as a starting point for conversation without hanging up, but the sharks would decline.
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 5:55 p.m.
    I agree with the RHD the whole post stated this isn’t a “hey this is super gonna happen” lol, my point was not many teams are going to say hey, young stud defenseman “insert name”, is worth trading for Nylander. Defenseman are arguably the most valued pieces currently, Barrie who is by advanced stat standards a downgrade to Rielly asked for Kadri and more, Kadri is more valuable than Nylander IMO currently (CURRENTLY). If you asked New Jersey for Will Butcher, or Columbus for Jones, or even Nashville for (whos not young) Ellis; the asking price is going to cost double Nylander. Especially when Toronto who’d “prefer” more cap space (everyone would) is the team that NEEDS to keep Marner (which I said they will) and NEEDS a real top 4 d man, Toronto is going to be doing the talking. As I said I think in the end Toronto keeps both guys and will have success in the end. That’s why I stated to read the description. And you point makes sense and you’re right, toronto will be a playoff team, but my point was Nylander doesn’t make Toronto a playoff team, they already are one. And in the end if Nylander is moved IRL I would see them asking (if it was San Jose) for Dillon/ Merkley atleast as a starting point for conversation without hanging up, but the sharks would decline.

I know it's not gonna happen (as you've stated) but your severely under rating Nylander and over valuing Marner (both good young talented players) Nylander's value (in the eyes of gm's around the league) has not dropped because of this year they understand why he had a down season. Gm's look at the bigger sample size (much like in baseball) and Nylander has 2 60+ point seasons and had the hold out not have happened he likely would have at least matched or mote likely exceeded his previous point totals. Almost all stats show or prove that Marner was much worse without JT than Tavares was without Marner i.e. John carried that line (as he makes whomever he plays with better statistically through out his career) where as Marner has proven with his previous play (b4 JT came although also young and can reasonably expect a year to year increase in point totals same as Nylander). Marner needs the leafs morw than we neex him as previously stated about his endorsement deals. Now in saying all this I'm not saying that Marner isn't a good player or that we don't need him just that he needs us more. Also if Mitch went elsewhere he would likely not be lined up with an elite center like JT. Nylander has more value than Kadri and I'm more of a fan of Kadri then Nylander so no bias here. Your right about Berrie, but you can look at the situation as he's a less talented version of Reilly or a more talented version of Gardiner (although all at least slightly different in styles of play all are offensive dmen) the point is the Colorado trade was a win win for both teams. Also I did read your full descriptions both at the top and in the trade boxes just didn't see a deal like this making sense, imo. The Leafs wont move Nylander before they know whats going on with Marner same as the Wild with Dumba (if thry move him at all) and Spurgeon. Ps that could be something to look into this season if Nylander returns to his previous form or improves and the Wild lock up Spurgeon, or put him on the block.
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 6:25 p.m.
    ? San Jose Sharks ?
    I know it's not gonna happen (as you've stated) but your severely under rating Nylander and over valuing Marner (both good young talented players) Nylander's value (in the eyes of gm's around the league) has not dropped because of this year they understand why he had a down season. Gm's look at the bigger sample size (much like in baseball) and Nylander has 2 60+ point seasons and had the hold out not have happened he likely would have at least matched or mote likely exceeded his previous point totals. Almost all stats show or prove that Marner was much worse without JT than Tavares was without Marner i.e. John carried that line (as he makes whomever he plays with better statistically through out his career) where as Marner has proven with his previous play (b4 JT came although also young and can reasonably expect a year to year increase in point totals same as Nylander). Marner needs the leafs morw than we neex him as previously stated about his endorsement deals. Now in saying all this I'm not saying that Marner isn't a good player or that we don't need him just that he needs us more. Also if Mitch went elsewhere he would likely not be lined up with an elite center like JT. Nylander has more value than Kadri and I'm more of a fan of Kadri then Nylander so no bias here. Your right about Berrie, but you can look at the situation as he's a less talented version of Reilly or a more talented version of Gardiner (although all at least slightly different in styles of play all are offensive dmen) the point is the Colorado trade was a win win for both teams. Also I did read your full descriptions both at the top and in the trade boxes just didn't see a deal like this making sense, imo. The Leafs wont move Nylander before they know whats going on with Marner same as the Wild with Dumba (if thry move him at all) and Spurgeon. Ps that could be something to look into this season if Nylander returns to his previous form or improves and the Wild lock up Spurgeon, or put him on the block.

Sorry wasn’t meaning you specially in reading, but also I don’t value marner as a god, I agree with the JT influence you could call it. I think Nylander isn’t devalued a lot as I said Dubas isn’t stupid and know GMs would attempt to get Nylander due to his potential. Is it a gamble for another team to get him after 1 bad season, kinda, but as you said 1 more year/ trade deadline would best suit all parties. I just don’t see Nylander pulling a QUALITY top 4 d man. For example an aging 30-32 quality d man would be easy I think, but that’s bad for the leafs. And for a quality top 4 d 23-26, I don’t think another team will agree with trading their d man. Unless its an overpayment. I think Nylander could pull Dumba but even than idk if the wild would take that risk, Spurgeon wouldn’t move for Nylander I think but I could easily see a Minnesota and toronto at TDL as you alluded too
    Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
    Jul. 15, 2019 at 7:00 p.m.
    Sorry wasn’t meaning you specially in reading, but also I don’t value marner as a god, I agree with the JT influence you could call it. I think Nylander isn’t devalued a lot as I said Dubas isn’t stupid and know GMs would attempt to get Nylander due to his potential. Is it a gamble for another team to get him after 1 bad season, kinda, but as you said 1 more year/ trade deadline would best suit all parties. I just don’t see Nylander pulling a QUALITY top 4 d man. For example an aging 30-32 quality d man would be easy I think, but that’s bad for the leafs. And for a quality top 4 d 23-26, I don’t think another team will agree with trading their d man. Unless its an overpayment. I think Nylander could pull Dumba but even than idk if the wild would take that risk, Spurgeon wouldn’t move for Nylander I think but I could easily see a Minnesota and toronto at TDL as you alluded too

This is all spot on. With Nylander for Dumba it's all depending on how their upcoming seasons go and what happens with Spurgeon (but regardless we likely still need to add or it would have to be a bigger trade to work out). What I'd like to see at the TDL is Nylander, Berrie, Sandin, Liligren, Bracco and a 1st to CBJ for Seth Jones, Anderson and a 3rd. The deal would essentially be Bracco and a 1st for Anderson and a 3rd. Nylander, Berrie (assuming they flip him for more future's with that sweet contract, and the fact that they don't need him as Savard and Nuttivara are extremely underrated, they'd get a nice haul) Sandin, and Liligren for Jones. It's alot for both team's but given their current situation (how much talent they lost and will likely not be able to resign him as I don't think he will like losing, also he will be 28 when his new contract kicks in) I would wait for this situation too unfold and pounce. Everyone will tell you he's not available (which he isn't right now) but give it time. Even if it's a no from Jarmo I think he would have to seriously consider this proposal, as they would be wasting his prime years on a team that likely isnt going anywhere for the duration of his contract. Or offer Marner + for him as it balances both teams out more and gives both sides a better chance of winning. Elvis maybe as advertised but it's not a smart idea to expect him to step in and replace the only active goalie with 2 Vezina's plus Panarin's points (which they still needed more offence with him hence their TDL moves) nevermind without him. CBJ has some decent prospects but no real game changers except maybe bemstrom or Texier. Point is Pierre-Luc Dubois and Werenski are their building blocks of the future not a 25 year old defenseman who can bring them back a massive haul and help them turn around their situation faster.

To create a post please Login or Register
    Question:
    Options:
    Add Option
    Submit Poll