SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

Best Contracts in the League

Jul. 16, 2019 at 3:38 p.m.
Was just looking at a few contracts earlier today and with the shift to RFAs wanting big money right away there are a few contracts that are going to look AMAZING in a three or four years. Here are a few:

Kucherov: $9.5m for the next 7 years. Will be in his prime for basically the entire contact. In five years from now, there could literally be 50 players making more than him, there are already around 15 making more than him right now.

McDavid: $12.5m for another 7 years. Don't have to say much here. In a few years there will be players making more than him, and there shouldn't be.

Crosby: $8.7m for another 6 years. Eventually we will see the decline, but what would he be worth right now on a 6 year deal ($12m plus?).

Tarasenko: $7.5m for another 4 years. Can be dynamic and pile up goals. Can easily be a 40 goal scorer most seasons. Has the 10th most goals in last three seasons, and is currently the 21st highest paid FWD and could easily be out of the top 50 in terms of salary by end of his deal.

Nylander (people are gonna love this): $6.9m for another 5 years. Put up 62 points each of first two years until last years mess of a season. I do not think it is at all out of the realm of possibility that he can be a consistent 70 point player, maybe even more if he plays with Matthews. And to pay $6.9 for a 60-70 point guy is a bargain when guys like Kevin Hayes, JVR, Anders Lee, Max Pacioretty, and Evander Kane have all recently signed deals at a higher AAV.

Who have I missed?
Jul. 16, 2019 at 3:50 p.m.
torontos finest
boston's first line (bergeron, pastrnak, marchand) is collectively around 20 million and were all ppg players
Brian2016 and Savard96 liked this.
Jul. 16, 2019 at 4:05 p.m.
Quoting: mondo
boston's first line (bergeron, pastrnak, marchand) is collectively around 20 million and were all ppg players

Was looking at guys with a little more term but yes, that first line at a combined 20m is basically like having one of them play for free for the next two years.
Jul. 16, 2019 at 4:59 p.m.
Edited Jul. 22, 2019 at 11:46 a.m.
Looking at players with 4 or more years left on their contracts:

MacKinnon, Scheifele, Pastrnak, Dumba, Monahan, E Lindholm, Arvidsson, Huberdeau, Meier, Teravainen, Slavin, Pesce, Guentzel, Tuch, W Karlsson

all of these players should be on this list
Jul. 16, 2019 at 7:27 p.m.
Quoting: mondo

Easily the best value line in the league...by far.
Jul. 16, 2019 at 7:41 p.m.
Quoting: KoneDome
Was just looking at a few contracts earlier today and with the shift to RFAs wanting big money right away there are a few contracts that are going to look AMAZING in a three or four years. Here are a few:

Kucherov: $9.5m for the next 7 years. Will be in his prime for basically the entire contact. In five years from now, there could literally be 50 players making more than him, there are already around 15 making more than him right now.

McDavid: $12.5m for another 7 years. Don't have to say much here. In a few years there will be players making more than him, and there shouldn't be.

Crosby: $8.7m for another 6 years. Eventually we will see the decline, but what would he be worth right now on a 6 year deal ($12m plus?).

Tarasenko: $7.5m for another 4 years. Can be dynamic and pile up goals. Can easily be a 40 goal scorer most seasons. Has the 10th most goals in last three seasons, and is currently the 21st highest paid FWD and could easily be out of the top 50 in terms of salary by end of his deal.

Nylander (people are gonna love this): $6.9m for another 5 years. Put up 62 points each of first two years until last years mess of a season. I do not think it is at all out of the realm of possibility that he can be a consistent 70 point player, maybe even more if he plays with Matthews. And to pay $6.9 for a 60-70 point guy is a bargain when guys like Kevin Hayes, JVR, Anders Lee, Max Pacioretty, and Evander Kane have all recently signed deals at a higher AAV.

Who have I missed?

I asked myself this question the other day (probably b/c nobody besides me cares): What is McDavid's fair market value? Or, what would he bring today as a UFA on a max contract? Look at Panarin's $11.6M+: He's 27 years old (will be 28 in Oct.) and he took about a 20% discount to play in NYC. Clearly McDavid is worth much, much more than NYI or CBJ were willing to offer him, which was alleged to be north of $13M AAV. McDavid is a Center, the best offensive player in the game, and only 22 years old.

My conclusion: McDav id would receive offers of at least $15M+ AAV if he was UFA this summer. He's obviously tremendously undervalued at his current level, despite being the highest paid player in the league.
My other conclusion: Teams rarely regret handing out huge money contracts to elite players. There are very few, if any elite players making "too much" money relative to their value to their respective teams. The mid-range guys like Lucic, Eriksson, Neal, etc. are the killers.
Jul. 16, 2019 at 7:49 p.m.

Who have I missed?

I agree w/ almost everything you say, except about Nylander. Dubas was backed into a corner and couldn't throw away a chance to contend for the Cup. I think he highly regrets the contract today and would almost certainly take a loss if he traded him now. Nylander is nowhere near as good defensively as Hayes or Kane, and nowhere near as good of a goal scorer as JVR or Pacioretty. I think Dubas would love to have JVR over Nylander right now despite the age difference. Nylander is soft and scared to go to the dirty areas. He was a disappointment last season and showed that he couldn't perform well independent from a top line Center.
Jul. 16, 2019 at 7:55 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
12.5M for any player isn't a "great contract". For McDavid it's not bad but it's not one of the best in the league.
Jul. 16, 2019 at 10:10 p.m.
What in tarnation
Quoting: Brian2016
Easily the best value line in the league...by far.

Probably the best for now, but certainly not by far. MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog are also very valuable line...probably even more valuable since they're so much younger.
Jul. 16, 2019 at 11:22 p.m.
Black Lives Matter
Aho is a pretty good one. 8.454M for a guy who you can build a team around and is already a star player, if not a superstar.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 9:22 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
12.5M for any player isn't a "great contract". For McDavid it's not bad but it's not one of the best in the league.

Ya I disagree. Look at the bulk of guys that are signing new deals around 8.5-9.5 (your Duchene, Seguin, Kopitar, Eichel). You're telling me you wouldn't give up your typical 4m middle 6 FWD and replace him with a guy on an ELC/PTO in order to upgrade from one of those four to McDavid. I feel like we still don't realize how good McDavid. Its really a crime what Edmonton has done to us of subjecting him to that debacle of a team.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 10:03 a.m.
torontos finest
Quoting: BurgerBoss
Probably the best for now, but certainly not by far. MacKinnon, Rantanen and Landeskog are also very valuable line...probably even more valuable since they're so much younger.

rantanen is getting a payday and landeskog is up in 2 years and will request a sizable contract. yes, it will be the best time in the league but they won't be cheap.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 10:17 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Ya I disagree. Look at the bulk of guys that are signing new deals around 8.5-9.5 (your Duchene, Seguin, Kopitar, Eichel). You're telling me you wouldn't give up your typical 4m middle 6 FWD and replace him with a guy on an ELC/PTO in order to upgrade from one of those four to McDavid. I feel like we still don't realize how good McDavid. Its really a crime what Edmonton has done to us of subjecting him to that debacle of a team.

I'm not saying McDavid is a "bad contract". If i could get him in FA at 16.3M i'd probably do it lol ... but if he's my own RFA i'd start by offering a lot less. Maybe like 11M. I'm not saying Panarin is better, but I'm not a big fan of giving one player 10M+ unless it's a total superstar. Panarin i would have wanted at a little less as a NYR fan, but i'm still happy we got him because we didn't even need to give up anything off our roster or any picks. If McDavid says no to my 11M offer (which he probably would) i'm offering 12.5M or whatever. He's the highest paid player in the league. I wouldn't say he's a "great contract". Not a "bad contract", either.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
Emotionally in 2018
Aleksander Barkov, Nathan Mackinnon, Seth Jones, Mark Scheifele, Johnny Gaudreau, John Gibson, Jonathan Huberdeau are the ones that come to mind in terms of being the best contracts
hanson493 and Hockeyfan1972 liked this.
Jul. 17, 2019 at 2:49 p.m.
Quoting: krakowitz
Aleksander Barkov, Nathan Mackinnon, Seth Jones, Mark Scheifele, Johnny Gaudreau, John Gibson, Jonathan Huberdeau are the ones that come to mind in terms of being the best contracts

If only John Gibson had a decent defense in front of him not turning over the puck, would he be considered a top goalie by more people.
Hockeyfan1972 liked this.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 4:39 p.m.
Was looking at guys with a little more term but yes, that first line at a combined 20m is basically like having one of them play for free for the next two years.

pasta is signed at 6.67 for 4 more years, marchand at 6.125 for 6 more years. Bergeron is at 6.875 for 3 more years.
Jul. 20, 2019 at 7:57 p.m.
I know it doesn't fit the four year outlook that was part of the criteria, but I would have to put Brendan Gallagher @ 3.75 for the next 2 years in the conversation. Back to back 30 goal seasons for that price is a true bargain, not to mention what else he brings.
hanson493 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 10:32 a.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: moli92
Looking at players with 4 or more years left on their contracts:

MacKinnon, Scheifele, Pastrnak, Dumba, Monahan, E Lindholm, Arvidsson, Ellis, Huberdeau, Meier, Teravainen, Slavin, Pesce, Guentzel, Tuch, W Karlsson

all of these players should be on this list

Ellis' contract isnt gonna look too pretty in a couple years
Jul. 22, 2019 at 11:46 a.m.
Quoting: klondikebar

Yeah you're right, I removed him from the list
Jul. 22, 2019 at 11:57 a.m.

how do you figure? hes 29. maybe at 35 that wont be a good cap hit but at 28 it sure is and they are essentially buying bad years to keep that cap hit down. do you know how much higher that number is if its only a 4-5 year deal instead of 8. you are looking at trouba+ money. would you rather ryan ellis at 8 years 50m or ryan ellis at 4 years 32m or 5 years 40m.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 12:16 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: hanson493
how do you figure? hes 29. maybe at 35 that wont be a good cap hit but at 28 it sure is and they are essentially buying bad years to keep that cap hit down. do you know how much higher that number is if its only a 4-5 year deal instead of 8. you are looking at trouba+ money. would you rather ryan ellis at 8 years 50m or ryan ellis at 4 years 32m or 5 years 40m.

i mean i wouldve just let him walk, then u dont need to trade subban and you get fabbro top 4 minutes
Jul. 22, 2019 at 12:25 p.m.
i mean i wouldve just let him walk, then u dont need to trade subban and you get fabbro top 4 minutes

you would rather have 3 years of 30 year old subban at a 9m cap hit and coming off the worst year of his NHL career over a 28 year old ellis for 8 years at 6.25m cap hit coming off his best career year. okay... you can still give fabbro top 4 minutes if you want with ellis on the team, ellis is a very capable 2 way player.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 12:38 p.m.
Bo Horvat enjoyer
Quoting: hanson493
you would rather have 3 years of 30 year old subban at a 9m cap hit and coming off the worst year of his NHL career over a 28 year old ellis for 8 years at 6.25m cap hit coming off his best career year. okay... you can still give fabbro top 4 minutes if you want with ellis on the team, ellis is a very capable 2 way player.

personally im not high on ellis so my opinion is probably just different from yourts bvecvause of that
Jul. 22, 2019 at 2:17 p.m.
Follow capfriendly
Pastrnak.
hanson493 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll