Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$78,747,199$0$2,650,000$2,752,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Carolina Hurricanes
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,650,000$3M)
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,634,000$11,634,000
C
UFA - 5
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$775,000$775,000
C, LW, RW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LD
UFA - 3
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RD
UFA - 2
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
$1,700,000$1,700,000
G
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 19, 2019 at 2:51 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
I want no part of Hamilton. Id take Pesce and Teravainen for Mitch.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:21 a.m.
Quoting: SammyT_51

Would you do that deal if you were Carolina?
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:24 a.m.
Official Leafs Fan
Quoting: Weezley

Pesce and teravainen? Why the F*** not? That’s a steal to get a Star player for a decent forward and a good but expendable D-man, If I’m TOR I laugh at that offer
Jul. 19, 2019 at 3:29 a.m.
GM Hockeysaurus Rex
Quoting: Weezley

100%
Jul. 19, 2019 at 4:01 a.m.
Quoting: Hackadart
Pesce and teravainen? Why the F*** not? That’s a steal to get a Star player for a decent forward and a good but expendable D-man, If I’m TOR I laugh at that offer

100%

I don’t think I would. Don’t get me wrong, Marner is great and he will only get better. I would rather have those 2 players contributing what they have been doing for the next 5 years instead of what Marner produces over 5 or 6 for the same amount of money of those 2 players combined.

I know you have said Pesce is overrated, and I agree that he isn’t the next Orr, but if a player like him was so easy to acquire for that same amount of money then why hasn’t Toronto gone out and signed one already? Same with Teuvo. He’s a young guy who does benefit from playing with an elite centre(so does Marner) then why pay someone double what Teuvo makes to add on another 20 points?

I’d honestly love to be a Carolina fan because they got their **** set up to succeed, not only in terms of prospects but their cap situation is enviable. Made it to the ECF and taking on dumper contracts for first rounders the following summer.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 6:09 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
BTW - the Canes don’t have enough cap to sign Marner even if they wanted to do the deal proposed in the ACGM.

The Pesce/Turbo deal...canes pass. Why take Marner who’s going to be as expensive or more than both players combined. Think they’d be better off long term keeping their players.
Jangle29 and blowing_the_zone liked this.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 7:01 a.m.
Jangle29
Quoting: Caniac555
BTW - the Canes don’t have enough cap to sign Marner even if they wanted to do the deal proposed in the ACGM.

The Pesce/Turbo deal...canes pass. Why take Marner who’s going to be as expensive or more than both players combined. Think they’d be better off long term keeping their players.

**** I hate this logic. Been hoping for this type of trade for months now. Teravainen and Pesce for the same cap hit of Marner. Tavares would turn Teravainen into over a ppg player, Pesce with Rielly is a top pair d pairing for under 10 mil.
**** you Marner......**** you
Jul. 19, 2019 at 7:37 a.m.

I had the same idea, maybe something like this?

https://www.capfriendly.com/forums/thread/253380&post_id=985856
Jul. 19, 2019 at 7:45 a.m.
Pop Pop
I dont think your getting svechnikov out of Carolina, after aho hes by far their most talented forward and looks to be an elite goal scorer. I think they will give you TT or add a pick or whatever you need but not Svechnikov
Jul. 19, 2019 at 7:51 a.m.
100%

Canes don’t want what will be his contract.
blowing_the_zone liked this.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 7:57 a.m.
Quoting: Jangle29
**** I hate this logic. Been hoping for this type of trade for months now. Teravainen and Pesce for the same cap hit of Marner. Tavares would turn Teravainen into over a ppg player, Pesce with Rielly is a top pair d pairing for under 10 mil.
**** you Marner......**** you

Lol, Jangle. Don't let this heat get to you..
Jangle29 liked this.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 8:03 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
I truly hope that the GMs around the league begin to understand that this crop of RFAs are not going to sign for long term deals past 5 years. When Dubas gave 5 to AM, and Habs offersheeted Aho for 5, the term for the rest of everyone was set.

Dubas should just give Marner 11.616M x 5 and figure out the rest. My guess is you’ll see guys sit out the entire year unless 5 is the term.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 8:09 a.m.
I truly hope that the GMs around the league begin to understand that this crop of RFAs are not going to sign for long term deals past 5 years. When Dubas gave 5 to AM, and Habs offersheeted Aho for 5, the term for the rest of everyone was set.

Dubas should just give Marner 11.616M x 5 and figure out the rest. My guess is you’ll see guys sit out the entire year unless 5 is the term.

That's fine, they can sit. I don't see a situation where Aho signs the deal he did and the rest of the rfa class makes out like bandits. Aho had an impact on the market. It won't just be the Canes that enjoy that deal.

I agree though, 8 yr deals are likely a thing of the past.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 8:19 a.m.
Jangle29

Matthews is actually worth a big number though. The media doesn't talk about him as much because he's American but he is an insane player. Scores at the highest rate in the league 5 on 5 and is very good defensively. He had the leverage too because at 12:01 July 1st he would have got a 15+ mil offer sheet from Arizona no doubt about it. Matthews said he he would have signed long term like 8 years but the leafs chose the 5 year to keep his cap number down. I'm totally ok with that contract
Jul. 19, 2019 at 8:38 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
All true, my point wasn’t whether Matthews was worth it or not, it was regarding the precedent set by that deal, and the fact the Aho situation worked out to be 5 years too.

As a non-Leafs fan, the most interesting thing about the entire situation is that the entire hockey community (fans, agents, GMs, Owners) are watching what’s happening in Toronto right now. I’m curious if there is awareness that the dealings with Nylander, Matthews, and Marner are going to mold the way that RFAs coming off their ELCs are going to approach their next deals.

Frankly speaking, Leafs should have traded Nylander or let him sit. They should have then locked up AM and Marner with deals as close to July 1 2018 as possible. The price will never go down on good players if you wait...

Quoting: Jangle29
Matthews is actually worth a big number though. The media doesn't talk about him as much because he's American but he is an insane player. Scores at the highest rate in the league 5 on 5 and is very good defensively. He had the leverage too because at 12:01 July 1st he would have got a 15+ mil offer sheet from Arizona no doubt about it. Matthews said he he would have signed long term like 8 years but the leafs chose the 5 year to keep his cap number down. I'm totally ok with that contract
Jangle29 liked this.
Jul. 19, 2019 at 9:19 a.m.
All true, my point wasn’t whether Matthews was worth it or not, it was regarding the precedent set by that deal, and the fact the Aho situation worked out to be 5 years too.

As a non-Leafs fan, the most interesting thing about the entire situation is that the entire hockey community (fans, agents, GMs, Owners) are watching what’s happening in Toronto right now. I’m curious if there is awareness that the dealings with Nylander, Matthews, and Marner are going to mold the way that RFAs coming off their ELCs are going to approach their next deals.

Frankly speaking, Leafs should have traded Nylander or let him sit. They should have then locked up AM and Marner with deals as close to July 1 2018 as possible. The price will never go down on good players if you wait...

Toronto is becoming a petri dish for these rfas. I would imagine though that one of the rfas blink before Marner does, and once that happens the dominos will start to fall. They won't all hold out til camp, and Marner does have the peculiar case of comparing himself to AM, even if it doesn't make alot of sense.

The rest of the rfas can't make that silly argument and I'd imagine, that like you imply, they wait as long as they can to see what Mitch gets. Double edge sword.. whoever blinks first, someone from the rfa class Mitch, or Dubas will be the one to set the market for everyone else.

Re Nylander, Mitch and AM signing last summer. That woulda been nice but Dubas can't force them to sign. It's a two way street. And Marner made it especially clear he wasn't negotiating until last season was over
Jul. 19, 2019 at 9:48 a.m.
Hurricane Waddell
It was reported by several outlets, specific by Friedman, that an $12Mx8 deal was on the table that Matthews was willing to take but the Leafs waited. Matthews started hot and that $12M went to $14 on a 8 year deal.

You might be right on the one of the RFAs blinking, but they are all looking to Marner right now. I think it’s going to be a GM who blinks first and gives one of these guys a 5 year deal.

Also, I never said the other RFAs could compare themselves to Matthews. My point on the RFAs is term, not money. They can absolutely compare to Matthews and Aho regarding term. Case in point, Rantanen in Colorado...why should he not be able to force his way into a 5 year deal? Colorado has the money to pay him what he’s worth, why isn’t he signed already?

Quoting: blowing_the_zone
Toronto is becoming a petri dish for these rfas. I would imagine though that one of the rfas blink before Marner does, and once that happens the dominos will start to fall. They won't all hold out til camp, and Marner does have the peculiar case of comparing himself to AM, even if it doesn't make alot of sense.

The rest of the rfas can't make that silly argument and I'd imagine, that like you imply, they wait as long as they can to see what Mitch gets. Double edge sword.. whoever blinks first, someone from the rfa class Mitch, or Dubas will be the one to set the market for everyone else.

Re Nylander, Mitch and AM signing last summer. That woulda been nice but Dubas can't force them to sign. It's a two way street. And Marner made it especially clear he wasn't negotiating until last season was over
Jul. 19, 2019 at 10:31 a.m.
It was reported by several outlets, specific by Friedman, that an $12Mx8 deal was on the table that Matthews was willing to take but the Leafs waited. Matthews started hot and that $12M went to $14 on a 8 year deal.

You might be right on the one of the RFAs blinking, but they are all looking to Marner right now. I think it’s going to be a GM who blinks first and gives one of these guys a 5 year deal.

Also, I never said the other RFAs could compare themselves to Matthews. My point on the RFAs is term, not money. They can absolutely compare to Matthews and Aho regarding term. Case in point, Rantanen in Colorado...why should he not be able to force his way into a 5 year deal? Colorado has the money to pay him what he’s worth, why isn’t he signed already?

I agreed with you on how RFAs will be looking to shorter term. It can only benefit their side, and I don't think the 8 yr deal is as big of a deal to GMs as it used to be. Managing the cap on a year to year basis is the priority, imo. Each of the teams with a superstar RFA has their own cap challenges, minus maybe Colorado, as you point out. The Avs do have the money to pay Rantanen what he's worth, but I would assume the sticking point is "what is he worth exactly?" Is he worth the Aho deal? Or is he worth Marner's demand of AM money? I'd say Sakic goes with the former while Rantanen waits to see if marner gets the latter. Which I can't imagine he'll get, and then the other RFAs start to fall like dominos. They aren't all sitting this year, and even Marner says he wants to be signed for the start of camp.

I agree with you again that everyone is waiting to see what happens with Marner. But I'd say that Dubas and co have played this just about perfectly... they have a very solid offer on the table, which by all accounts is still an overpay for Mitch, and they have enough cap to match any OS upto the 4 firsts cutoff 9almost to the penny). Teams know that so I doubt there is an OS at that amount. Anything over the 4 firsts threshold, the leafs let Marner walk if he wants to sign that OS (which apparently he doesn't want to..) So, Marner can either sign a contract based on league wide comparables, or he can sit, or he'll get traded. It very much looks like this will be his choice. And if he decides to sit, I'd imagine that other RFAs will choose to sign based on their comparables, which will only further weaken Marner's demands.

All in all I think alot of this is blown out of proportion with the major shift in outcomes being shorter terms for RFAs, like you state.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll