Forums/Armchair-GM

Trade with Edmonton

Created by: johnston3504
Team: 2019-20 Toronto Maple Leafs
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 22, 2019
Published: Jul. 22, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
I dont think its to far off for value and i know edmonton wouldnt trade mcdavid but fun to dream.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$10,600,000
Trades
Retained Salary Transactions
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CBJ
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the CAR
Logo of the COL
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the STL
Logo of the WPG
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
Logo of the TOR
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$80,968,199$0$132,500$531,801
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$3,400,000$3,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$6,962,366$6,962,366
RW
UFA - 5
$2,250,000$2,250,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
$10,600,000$10,600,000
RW
UFA - 6
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 4
$3,200,000$3,200,000
RW
UFA - 3
$767,500$767,500 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C, RW
NTC
UFA - 1
$775,000$775,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,000,000$5,000,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$2,750,000$2,750,000
RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
G
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
C
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 22, 2019 at 1:02 p.m.
Banned
If that's what it cost to get McDavid, he isn't worth getting. Matthews and a 1st is more than enough to get him.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 1:04 p.m.
Clears4
Quoting: LoganOllivier
If that's what it cost to get McDavid, he isn't worth getting. Matthews and a 1st is more than enough to get him.

I say this as a Leafs fan.... you couldn't be more wrong.
nalzugaray12 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 1:08 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Clears4
I say this as a Leafs fan.... you couldn't be more wrong.

Why? Matthews is the best 5v5 goal scorer in the league, makes less money than McDavid and is younger. McDavid may be the best player in hockey but that doesn't mean his price is worth 3 times Matthews.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 1:10 p.m.
i hope ur hungry now
this is insane. I can't believe you put marchment on the fourth line
Jul. 22, 2019 at 1:15 p.m.
Rinzler
Quoting: SpaghettiPasta
this is insane. I can't believe you put marchment on the fourth line

The disrespect towards Marchment is real. He a 1st line player HIGHKEY xD
SpaghettiPasta liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 1:23 p.m.
Bahston Brewins
Why? Matthews is the best 5v5 goal scorer in the league, makes less money than McDavid and is younger. McDavid may be the best player in hockey but that doesn't mean his price is worth 3 times Matthews.

He's played one full season in the nhl. Has yet to record 75 points. McDavid is worth way more than Matthews. Matthews and a first definitely doesn't get you McDavid. That's literally Matthews and a late first rounder for the best player in the NHL.
Goulet and Clears4 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 1:36 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: nalzugaray12
He's played one full season in the nhl. Has yet to record 75 points. McDavid is worth way more than Matthews. Matthews and a first definitely doesn't get you McDavid. That's literally Matthews and a late first rounder for the best player in the NHL.

Within 2 seasons, the top 3 players in the NHL will probably be McDavid, McKinnon and Matthews. McDavid is the best but he isn't worth McKinnon, 2 1sts and then some. This is just the usual, Leaf hater logic, he's a Leaf so he isn't a generational talent but anywhere else he'd be worth triple. Its nonsense. If that is the cost of McDavid, you just never make the move because its not worth it. Taking Matthews out of the Leafs lineup and adding McDavid makes them better, but if you also have to add salary, and give up multiple other assets, it doesn't make sense. It weakens the team.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 1:45 p.m.
Bahston Brewins
Within 2 seasons, the top 3 players in the NHL will probably be McDavid, McKinnon and Matthews. McDavid is the best but he isn't worth McKinnon, 2 1sts and then some. This is just the usual, Leaf hater logic, he's a Leaf so he isn't a generational talent but anywhere else he'd be worth triple. Its nonsense. If that is the cost of McDavid, you just never make the move because its not worth it. Taking Matthews out of the Leafs lineup and adding McDavid makes them better, but if you also have to add salary, and give up multiple other assets, it doesn't make sense. It weakens the team.

It's not leaf hater logic, it's just leaf bias logic. You're assuming he's gonna be a top 3 player in the league when there's still going to be guys like Ovi and Crosby still in the league. Right now you can argue he's not even a top 5 center in the league. I'm not saying he won't be, but he's got some ways to go before you automatically say he's going to be a top 3 player in the league. "Leaf hater logic" get out of here with that, it's just your bias is showing.
Clears4 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 1:47 p.m.
Oil Country Rising

This is why ****ting on Leaf fans will never get old.

There is no GM, not even Peter Chiarelli, who would sign off on trading away McDavid for that.

You could argue Matthews and Draisaitl give or take some picks, but there is no deal worth trading away a young superstar already at the top of the world of hockey, arguably the BEST building block in the entire league for lesser parts. Yes the team and management are questionable, but that does not take away from what McDavid is as a player. Oiler fan or not, Leaf hater or not there are some things considered untouchable because their value goes beyond the quantifiable limits put forth by the league.

If the NHL had no hard cap, McDavid would be in the 20+ range on any team, and there wouldnt be any debate about it.
nalzugaray12, Goulet and Clears4 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 2:02 p.m.

We all want him to be that good but he isn't yet. The deal in the thread is actually pretty good, today, for both teams and makes a surprising amount of sense...the 1sts might be a little much.

At the end of the day it is hard to compare the best playmaker in the game to potentially the best goal scorer.
Clears4 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 2:03 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: nalzugaray12
It's not leaf hater logic, it's just leaf bias logic. You're assuming he's gonna be a top 3 player in the league when there's still going to be guys like Ovi and Crosby still in the league. Right now you can argue he's not even a top 5 center in the league. I'm not saying he won't be, but he's got some ways to go before you automatically say he's going to be a top 3 player in the league. "Leaf hater logic" get out of here with that, it's just your bias is showing.

He's a 22 year old super elite player who will be the face of a franchise for most of his career. If it costs Matthews and a lot more to get McDavid, you are taking a big step back to get a little better. I do think Edmonton will one day have to trade McDavid because they are a disaster of a franchise and he'll want out. And when that happens, getting back an elite franchise centre who is younger is going to be a must. There are not many of them, and their value is sky high as well. So why would a team significantly weaken themselves to make an upgrade on something they already have.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 2:05 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Goulet
We all want him to be that good but he isn't yet. The deal in the thread is actually pretty good, today, for both teams and makes a surprising amount of sense...the 1sts might be a little much.

At the end of the day it is hard to compare the best playmaker in the game to potentially the best goal scorer.

This is a joke, and I don't even know how to discuss this nonsense. Morgan Rielly and Matthews are more valuable than McDavid. Throwing in Nurse who isn't that great doesn't even the scale and now you are also adding 2 1st rounders to Edmonton? This is a joke and anyone who thinks one player is worth that much, has no idea how to manage assets.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 2:17 p.m.
Banned
Quoting: Miguelicious
This is why ****ting on Leaf fans will never get old.

There is no GM, not even Peter Chiarelli, who would sign off on trading away McDavid for that.

You could argue Matthews and Draisaitl give or take some picks, but there is no deal worth trading away a young superstar already at the top of the world of hockey, arguably the BEST building block in the entire league for lesser parts. Yes the team and management are questionable, but that does not take away from what McDavid is as a player. Oiler fan or not, Leaf hater or not there are some things considered untouchable because their value goes beyond the quantifiable limits put forth by the league.

If the NHL had no hard cap, McDavid would be in the 20+ range on any team, and there wouldnt be any debate about it.

Okay boss pump the breaks for a second.

1) If Edmonton was trading McDavid, it would be because he's sick of losing and wanted out. If that's the case, Edmonton would need to maximize their return. Now if they are looking to do that, they'd want an elite young franchise centre (Matthews checks all those boxes). They'd also want to add more onto that because McDavid is the best. The problem though is this, McDavid will dictate where he goes so he has to agree to that and that will limit the teams that would be in the running. If the Leafs were one of those teams then Matthews would be the starting point. So now lets look at what TO would be thinking in this negotiation.

2) Toronto has incredible depth up front and a lot of nice young pieces. They are also a contender and look to be one for a long time. They have a Norris candidate in Morgan Rielly, 2 elite centres in Matthews and Tavares and a tonne of highly skilled depth on the wings. They have a upper echelon goalie in Andersen as well so they don't need to make any trades. So with that in mind, what would they be willing to do if it meant getting McDavid. For sure Matthews would be the starting point and a move they'd be willing to make but what could they add before they turn the trade from a positive one into a negative. Giving up Matthews and Rielly is immediately a bad deal. Rielly is one of the best offensive defencemen in the League and has been able to accomplish all he has despite carrying around Hainsey for the past 2 seasons. If Matthews and Rielly is the starting point for Edmonton, negotiations are over. I wouldn't do that trade in a million years. It weakens the team, throwing in 2 1sts as well is just poor asset management. This trade doesn't make TO better, it makes them worse. McDavid is an improvement over Matthews yes but Nurse isn't half as good as Rielly, and the 2 1sts hurt the future depth as well.

The real world isn't a video game, both sides need to look at what situations exist everywhere else and find a way to best take advantage of this. If Edmonton is forced to move McDavid, which is the only reason they'd ever trade him, its going to be difficult to get a fair return. No one is going to sell the farm only to dive head first into the same situation Edmonton is in now.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 3:08 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
Okay boss pump the breaks for a second.

1) If Edmonton was trading McDavid, it would be because he's sick of losing and wanted out. If that's the case, Edmonton would need to maximize their return. Now if they are looking to do that, they'd want an elite young franchise centre (Matthews checks all those boxes). They'd also want to add more onto that because McDavid is the best. The problem though is this, McDavid will dictate where he goes so he has to agree to that and that will limit the teams that would be in the running. If the Leafs were one of those teams then Matthews would be the starting point. So now lets look at what TO would be thinking in this negotiation.

2) Toronto has incredible depth up front and a lot of nice young pieces. They are also a contender and look to be one for a long time. They have a Norris candidate in Morgan Rielly, 2 elite centres in Matthews and Tavares and a tonne of highly skilled depth on the wings. They have a upper echelon goalie in Andersen as well so they don't need to make any trades. So with that in mind, what would they be willing to do if it meant getting McDavid. For sure Matthews would be the starting point and a move they'd be willing to make but what could they add before they turn the trade from a positive one into a negative. Giving up Matthews and Rielly is immediately a bad deal. Rielly is one of the best offensive defencemen in the League and has been able to accomplish all he has despite carrying around Hainsey for the past 2 seasons. If Matthews and Rielly is the starting point for Edmonton, negotiations are over. I wouldn't do that trade in a million years. It weakens the team, throwing in 2 1sts as well is just poor asset management. This trade doesn't make TO better, it makes them worse. McDavid is an improvement over Matthews yes but Nurse isn't half as good as Rielly, and the 2 1sts hurt the future depth as well.

The real world isn't a video game, both sides need to look at what situations exist everywhere else and find a way to best take advantage of this. If Edmonton is forced to move McDavid, which is the only reason they'd ever trade him, its going to be difficult to get a fair return. No one is going to sell the farm only to dive head first into the same situation Edmonton is in now.

The real world isnt a video game, yet here you are banking on a what-if.

If you trade based off of feelings, Puljujarvi would be gone by now. Instead, a competent GM told him to stiffen that upper lip and wait for a trade that works for the team.
You do NOT trade based off of pansy ass reasons such as "boo hoo I dont wanna play anymore trade me to my favorite team".

Connor McDavid does NOT, I repeat, does NOT have an NMC or NTC. He does NOT dictate **** at all.
If the offers from other teams are more than a 70pt player and a lower half 1st and they will be, the Leafs are NOT getting McDavid.
Just deal with it, instead of fantasizing this weird "McDavid wants to be a Leaf no matter what" obsession your fanbase is subscribing to.

Your McDavid deal with Matthews coming the other way would be met with as much criticism as the recent Lucic-Neal deal.
Your fanbase wanted Matthews to be in the same conversation as McDavid so much that you hyped him up and ended up paying him way more than what he's worth, especially with his injury history.
He is a great talent, that is not a joke. But him and a weak 1st is NOT anywhere close at all.

Please stop over estimating your own players while under estimating everyone else's.
It's probably the most annoying trait for Leaf nation.
Clears4 and nalzugaray12 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 3:34 p.m.
Banned
The real world isnt a video game, yet here you are banking on a what-if.

If you trade based off of feelings, Puljujarvi would be gone by now. Instead, a competent GM told him to stiffen that upper lip and wait for a trade that works for the team.
You do NOT trade based off of pansy ass reasons such as "boo hoo I dont wanna play anymore trade me to my favorite team".

Connor McDavid does NOT, I repeat, does NOT have an NMC or NTC. He does NOT dictate **** at all.
If the offers from other teams are more than a 70pt player and a lower half 1st and they will be, the Leafs are NOT getting McDavid.
Just deal with it, instead of fantasizing this weird "McDavid wants to be a Leaf no matter what" obsession your fanbase is subscribing to.

Your McDavid deal with Matthews coming the other way would be met with as much criticism as the recent Lucic-Neal deal.
Your fanbase wanted Matthews to be in the same conversation as McDavid so much that you hyped him up and ended up paying him way more than what he's worth, especially with his injury history.
He is a great talent, that is not a joke. But him and a weak 1st is NOT anywhere close at all.

Please stop over estimating your own players while under estimating everyone else's.
It's probably the most annoying trait for Leaf nation.

I am not basing anything off feelings only logic and I am trying to look at the big picture.

Here is the thing in Edmonton, they aren't trading McDavid, and I don't think McDavid will ask for a trade.....yet. He absolutely does have a NMC but not for 2 more seasons. If the Oilers sputter for 2 more years and there is no sign that things are going to get better, will he be willing to waste his entire prime on a bottom feeder? I wouldn't and I think he'll ask for a trade in that scenario. That is literally the only way Edmonton would move him. I highly doubt anyone would ever approach them with an insane package unless McDavid wanted out and GM's new it.

These are all assumptions and hypotheticals yes but they are also well thought out.

So if we are talking about trading McDavid, its going to be after 2 more seasons, and at that time. I think he would be non committal until July 1 when his NTC kicks in at which time now he dictates where he goes.

This is all simple business decisions that a player in his situation can and would make.

As for my Leaf nation fantasy that McDavid wants to come to TO, I have no idea what you are talking about. You are in fact, putting words into my mouth and not listening to anything I am saying. I don't want to trade for McDavid, nor am I proposing the team should trade for him. What I am doing is simply pointing out that if a McDavid trade was going to happen it wouldn't be a video game trade that is a clear landslide win for Edmonton. What I am saying is that if you consider what the situation around a McDavid trade would be, the return is going to be different. It doesn't have to be TO it can be where ever he wants to go. Let's say he gives the Oilers 3 teams he'd be willing to go to, New York Rangers, Vancouver Canucks and Tampa Bay Lightning.

If those are the only 3 teams he's willing to go to, then they are only competing with each other to get him. At that point you look at what the demand will be and it will start with a young franchise centre.

So the packages will start with

Hughes from the Rangers (hard to predict what that value would look like since he hasn't yet played in the NHL) and then some other pieces.

Vancouver would have to give up Petterson

and Tampa would have to give up Point.

Now in all 3 cases those teams are moving out their best player to get McDavid, that in a vacuum is a great deal. But now we also have to look at salary cap situations and whether or not the team can afford to give up premium assets along with their own best player to make a deal work.

Tampa won't likely be able to take on the increase salary cap in 3 seasons. So you could probably scratch them off the list. The Rangers would make a lot of sense sine they will likely have some high level prospects they can add to the trade as well. Vancouver I doubt would be competitive in trade since they lack depth currently and have to give more to get 1 player essentially puts them in the same position Edmonton is now where they have the best player but little else.

So as you can see, I am not looking at this from some sort of rose coloured Leaf super fan fantasy. McDavid being traded will not be a good time for Edmonton. If they traded him now, which they won't, they would get the best return since all 31 teams would be competing for the trade but even at that, very quickly teams will bow out due to not having cap space, the necessary pieces or the desire to gut their depth to get one player. Edmonton proves you can't win with just one player, hockey isn't the NBA so you need 4 lines that can at least stay above water. So unless you can get McDavid and still have good depth, then getting him isn't a good idea, the cost will outweigh the benefits.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 3:51 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
I am not basing anything off feelings only logic and I am trying to look at the big picture.

Here is the thing in Edmonton, they aren't trading McDavid, and I don't think McDavid will ask for a trade.....yet. He absolutely does have a NMC but not for 2 more seasons. If the Oilers sputter for 2 more years and there is no sign that things are going to get better, will he be willing to waste his entire prime on a bottom feeder? I wouldn't and I think he'll ask for a trade in that scenario. That is literally the only way Edmonton would move him. I highly doubt anyone would ever approach them with an insane package unless McDavid wanted out and GM's new it.

These are all assumptions and hypotheticals yes but they are also well thought out.

So if we are talking about trading McDavid, its going to be after 2 more seasons, and at that time. I think he would be non committal until July 1 when his NTC kicks in at which time now he dictates where he goes.

This is all simple business decisions that a player in his situation can and would make.

As for my Leaf nation fantasy that McDavid wants to come to TO, I have no idea what you are talking about. You are in fact, putting words into my mouth and not listening to anything I am saying. I don't want to trade for McDavid, nor am I proposing the team should trade for him. What I am doing is simply pointing out that if a McDavid trade was going to happen it wouldn't be a video game trade that is a clear landslide win for Edmonton. What I am saying is that if you consider what the situation around a McDavid trade would be, the return is going to be different. It doesn't have to be TO it can be where ever he wants to go. Let's say he gives the Oilers 3 teams he'd be willing to go to, New York Rangers, Vancouver Canucks and Tampa Bay Lightning.

If those are the only 3 teams he's willing to go to, then they are only competing with each other to get him. At that point you look at what the demand will be and it will start with a young franchise centre.

So the packages will start with

Hughes from the Rangers (hard to predict what that value would look like since he hasn't yet played in the NHL) and then some other pieces.

Vancouver would have to give up Petterson

and Tampa would have to give up Point.

Now in all 3 cases those teams are moving out their best player to get McDavid, that in a vacuum is a great deal. But now we also have to look at salary cap situations and whether or not the team can afford to give up premium assets along with their own best player to make a deal work.

Tampa won't likely be able to take on the increase salary cap in 3 seasons. So you could probably scratch them off the list. The Rangers would make a lot of sense sine they will likely have some high level prospects they can add to the trade as well. Vancouver I doubt would be competitive in trade since they lack depth currently and have to give more to get 1 player essentially puts them in the same position Edmonton is now where they have the best player but little else.

So as you can see, I am not looking at this from some sort of rose coloured Leaf super fan fantasy. McDavid being traded will not be a good time for Edmonton. If they traded him now, which they won't, they would get the best return since all 31 teams would be competing for the trade but even at that, very quickly teams will bow out due to not having cap space, the necessary pieces or the desire to gut their depth to get one player. Edmonton proves you can't win with just one player, hockey isn't the NBA so you need 4 lines that can at least stay above water. So unless you can get McDavid and still have good depth, then getting him isn't a good idea, the cost will outweigh the benefits.

Here's the funny part: "no sign things will get better".

Hockey players are not blind. Edmonton finally has top tier defensive prospects in the pool. I suspect we will see Bouchard full time NEXT season. Samorukov would be ready around that time as well. Broberg should be coming over and be ready the following season.

Having a defensive core of:

Nurse - Bouchard
Klefbom - Larsson
Samorukov - I guess Benning at that point

With Broberg knocking on the door as well as Jones and Bear having developed and matured as well, the Oilers' biggest deficit is now their greatest asset in the future.

Not to mention we also have forward prospects in Lavoie, Benson, Yamamoto, Safin, McLeod.

If there was ever a reason to trade McDavid or for him to want out, it would be before his NMC kicks in for 2022-23.
The Oilers have a good-to-great prospect pool. Help is clearly on the way, so it was a moot point to discuss a McDavid trade if the greatest motivator was "no sign things will get better".

This all went awry when you said "Matthews and a 1st is more than enough" which it clearly isnt.
You guestimating that "McDavid would eventually want out therefore Oilers wont get fair value" didnt help at all.
McDavid is a special player, so disgruntled or not there will be a bidding war to get his services.

Matthews and a 1st, definitely isnt even remotely close all things considered.
nalzugaray12 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 4:00 p.m.
Banned
Here's the funny part: "no sign things will get better".

Hockey players are not blind. Edmonton finally has top tier defensive prospects in the pool. I suspect we will see Bouchard full time NEXT season. Samorukov would be ready around that time as well. Broberg should be coming over and be ready the following season.

Having a defensive core of:

Nurse - Bouchard
Klefbom - Larsson
Samorukov - I guess Benning at that point

With Broberg knocking on the door as well as Jones and Bear having developed and matured as well, the Oilers' biggest deficit is now their greatest asset in the future.

Not to mention we also have forward prospects in Lavoie, Benson, Yamamoto, Safin, McLeod.

If there was ever a reason to trade McDavid or for him to want out, it would be before his NMC kicks in for 2022-23.
The Oilers have a good-to-great prospect pool. Help is clearly on the way, so it was a moot point to discuss a McDavid trade if the greatest motivator was "no sign things will get better".

This all went awry when you said "Matthews and a 1st is more than enough" which it clearly isnt.
You guestimating that "McDavid would eventually want out therefore Oilers wont get fair value" didnt help at all.
McDavid is a special player, so disgruntled or not there will be a bidding war to get his services.

Matthews and a 1st, definitely isnt even remotely close all things considered.

That is some awfully lofty goals for a team that hasn't had a 2nd round pick make a meaningful impact in the NHL since Jeff Petry was drafted in 06. Edmonton has been exceptionally bad at drafting and developing talent. Bouchard looks like he'll be a decent defenceman at some point. TO think he's going to be an effective top pair defender this season is beyond a stretch. Edmonton is missing the playoffs this year. If they do make it, it will be only because the West is really weak, specifically the Pacific.

In 2 years if they don't have a lot of up and coming players that can help carry the load, I can see McDavid wanting out. That is literally the only scenario where a trade could happen.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 4:36 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
That is some awfully lofty goals for a team that hasn't had a 2nd round pick make a meaningful impact in the NHL since Jeff Petry was drafted in 06. Edmonton has been exceptionally bad at drafting and developing talent. Bouchard looks like he'll be a decent defenceman at some point. TO think he's going to be an effective top pair defender this season is beyond a stretch. Edmonton is missing the playoffs this year. If they do make it, it will be only because the West is really weak, specifically the Pacific.

In 2 years if they don't have a lot of up and coming players that can help carry the load, I can see McDavid wanting out. That is literally the only scenario where a trade could happen.

See that speaks to the arrogance shown by Leaf fans time and time again.

I'm not speaking out of spite instead mirroring what the hockey experts, people who actually get paid to analyze this stuff are saying.

Bouchard may not end up being a top 10 dman in the league, and that's fine. Just because he plays top pair on the Oilers doesnt mean he plays top pair everywhere else.
Eventually, I believe Bouchard will be the best RHD the Oilers will have (drafted), therefore giving him the best chance at the top pair RHD slot.
Nurse continues to trend upwards, with less pressure on him he should be fine in a pairing with Bouchard.
Nothing wrong with that, nothing remotely lofty about that.

You don't really need a top 10 dman to win the Cup. You need a solid core that doesnt screw up when the going gets tough.
You need 1 to move the puck, 1 to cover the lapses. That's it, that's all.

Samorukov based off what he has shown can be a top4 dman down the road. Is he better than Nurse or Klefbom? Remains to be seen.
Broberg has elite wheels, perfect for today's NHL. Will he push someone down the Oilers' depth chart? For where he was drafted, we certainly hope so.

All we can do is wait. Develop them properly and wait.

The old joke about the oilers drafting poorly and developing poorly is getting phased out. Holland is a very patient man with his prospects.
I'm unsure as to why you still stick to old issues when the team clearly has made improvements.

You can still see McDavid wanting out, because you are HOPING he wants out. WANTING for him to want out. OBSESSING for him to want out.
THAT is the issue here.

You're not talking logic at all, as logic would clearly see the trend the other way. The Oilers have done enough to keep McDavid in the fold 2+ years from now.
The issue, and one I agree with, is keeping him in the fold until that future becomes a reality.

Want to know what a "lofty goal" is? "tHe CuP iS oUrS tO LoSE tHiS yEaR" ~Leaf fans, every year since 1967.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 5:02 p.m.
Banned
See that speaks to the arrogance shown by Leaf fans time and time again.

I'm not speaking out of spite instead mirroring what the hockey experts, people who actually get paid to analyze this stuff are saying.

Bouchard may not end up being a top 10 dman in the league, and that's fine. Just because he plays top pair on the Oilers doesnt mean he plays top pair everywhere else.
Eventually, I believe Bouchard will be the best RHD the Oilers will have (drafted), therefore giving him the best chance at the top pair RHD slot.
Nurse continues to trend upwards, with less pressure on him he should be fine in a pairing with Bouchard.
Nothing wrong with that, nothing remotely lofty about that.

You don't really need a top 10 dman to win the Cup. You need a solid core that doesnt screw up when the going gets tough.
You need 1 to move the puck, 1 to cover the lapses. That's it, that's all.

Samorukov based off what he has shown can be a top4 dman down the road. Is he better than Nurse or Klefbom? Remains to be seen.
Broberg has elite wheels, perfect for today's NHL. Will he push someone down the Oilers' depth chart? For where he was drafted, we certainly hope so.

All we can do is wait. Develop them properly and wait.

The old joke about the oilers drafting poorly and developing poorly is getting phased out. Holland is a very patient man with his prospects.
I'm unsure as to why you still stick to old issues when the team clearly has made improvements.

You can still see McDavid wanting out, because you are HOPING he wants out. WANTING for him to want out. OBSESSING for him to want out.
THAT is the issue here.

You're not talking logic at all, as logic would clearly see the trend the other way. The Oilers have done enough to keep McDavid in the fold 2+ years from now.
The issue, and one I agree with, is keeping him in the fold until that future becomes a reality.

Want to know what a "lofty goal" is? "tHe CuP iS oUrS tO LoSE tHiS yEaR" ~Leaf fans, every year since 1967.

I have no idea where Leaf arrogance is coming from. I'm very much wanting the Oilers to be good. They have been one of the most if not the most poorly run team for a very long time. I don't see any evidence that they can develop prospects and rushing them into the NHL because its better than what they have currently which is exactly what you are proposing to do with Bouchard has worked out extremely poorly for them. THey bungled Puli, and haven't been able to turn anyone from a decent prospect into an NHL since 2005. Its hard to say if that's poor drafing or poor player development. My guess is its poor player development which ties into the narrative of the old boys club in Edmonton. Their organization was stuck in the old days where you didn't develop players, you expected them to figure it out on their own and that just doesn't work anymore.

I hate to mention this since you have a bias against the Leafs and Leaf fans but TO since Shanahan has taken over has put a huge emphasis on player development. They spend a tonne of money and resources into that. Justin Brazeau is a perfect example. He was undrafted and TO signed him to an AHL contract. He led the AHL in goals this past season as an overrager but isn't a good skater, so what is he up too now? He's training at the Leafs practice facility that has state of the art equipment, personal trainers and dietitians, sports psychologists, and Barb Underhill who is working with him 3 days a week to improve his skating, which is his biggest weakness. They hired Hailey Wickenhieser to help these kids learn what they need to learn to become pros and they have a huge coaching staff that help give them specific areas of improvement. I am sure Edmonton has some sort of player development department but from what I have read it is essentially just their farm team. Yes the Leafs have a lot more money than Edmonton but still this is an area that Edmonton has been lacking.

So does a new GM change all this? Possibly but its not an overnight fix. When Shanahan took over in TO, he had to strip out most of the front office and replaced them all with modern thinking people. They had to build up a player development department and it took time to do so. They also needed to revamp the scouting staff and professional scouting department. That took a full season and then after that they finished last and won the draft lottery. Since then they've shown the ability to make late round picks into NHLers with guys like Johnsson who was a 7th round pick. They developed a lot of good players through the minors and into their depth and it has taken 3-4 years to do so.

So will Edmonton turn it all around fast enough? Its hard to say but they need to show a lot of improvement over the next 2 seasons and I am not sure they have enough time to be patient enough to keep McDavid happy. There will not likely be playoffs this season or next for Edmonton but the year after they could be an up and coming team if they develop good draft picks.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 5:28 p.m.
Oil Country Rising
I have no idea where Leaf arrogance is coming from. I'm very much wanting the Oilers to be good. They have been one of the most if not the most poorly run team for a very long time. I don't see any evidence that they can develop prospects and rushing them into the NHL because its better than what they have currently which is exactly what you are proposing to do with Bouchard has worked out extremely poorly for them. THey bungled Puli, and haven't been able to turn anyone from a decent prospect into an NHL since 2005. Its hard to say if that's poor drafing or poor player development. My guess is its poor player development which ties into the narrative of the old boys club in Edmonton. Their organization was stuck in the old days where you didn't develop players, you expected them to figure it out on their own and that just doesn't work anymore.

I hate to mention this since you have a bias against the Leafs and Leaf fans but TO since Shanahan has taken over has put a huge emphasis on player development. They spend a tonne of money and resources into that. Justin Brazeau is a perfect example. He was undrafted and TO signed him to an AHL contract. He led the AHL in goals this past season as an overrager but isn't a good skater, so what is he up too now? He's training at the Leafs practice facility that has state of the art equipment, personal trainers and dietitians, sports psychologists, and Barb Underhill who is working with him 3 days a week to improve his skating, which is his biggest weakness. They hired Hailey Wickenhieser to help these kids learn what they need to learn to become pros and they have a huge coaching staff that help give them specific areas of improvement. I am sure Edmonton has some sort of player development department but from what I have read it is essentially just their farm team. Yes the Leafs have a lot more money than Edmonton but still this is an area that Edmonton has been lacking.

So does a new GM change all this? Possibly but its not an overnight fix. When Shanahan took over in TO, he had to strip out most of the front office and replaced them all with modern thinking people. They had to build up a player development department and it took time to do so. They also needed to revamp the scouting staff and professional scouting department. That took a full season and then after that they finished last and won the draft lottery. Since then they've shown the ability to make late round picks into NHLers with guys like Johnsson who was a 7th round pick. They developed a lot of good players through the minors and into their depth and it has taken 3-4 years to do so.

So will Edmonton turn it all around fast enough? Its hard to say but they need to show a lot of improvement over the next 2 seasons and I am not sure they have enough time to be patient enough to keep McDavid happy. There will not likely be playoffs this season or next for Edmonton but the year after they could be an up and coming team if they develop good draft picks.

Dude, step back and listen to yourself. If you have no knowledge on the state of the Edmonton Oilers player development group then don't speak on it like they have none. THAT's where the arrogance comes from. You talk like only the Leafs spend money on player development.

You're probably a young rabid fan, and I can appreciate that. Real life isnt like your NHL 19 video games where a "value meter" is all you need to get a player you want.

I'm not expecting you to see things from a different fanbase's perspective, but you are clearly clearly blinded by the belief that the Leafs are at the tippy top of the NHL landscape. The exact reason everyone else hates you guys the most.

They may make fun of us for screwing up a prospect here or there, but to say that we "only really have a farm team" is arrogance beyond compare. If you go past the 1st round, then yes we didn't have a great track record. Yes, we whiffed on Yakupov. Yes, we mismanaged Puljujarvi. But to talk like we're the only ones that have done so, resulting in our captain abandoning ship is plain disrespect.

For all the talk you do about being all this and all that, you better hope that Cup is going to Toronto. You do have a better team than the Oilers, but for the amount of chirping coming out of Leaf nation, you'd think you guys were sick of winning the Cup.

As for Edmonton, with a legitimate man at the helm I'm placing my bets on the fact that Holland can turn this around faster than people think.
You do you, believe what you want, but I do know that the Oilers are in better hands, in better shape now and for the future.

If you still believe McDavid is going to want out, you don't give him enough credit. He's an Oiler, not a whiny Leaf.

Peace out.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 6:59 p.m.
Banned
Dude, step back and listen to yourself. If you have no knowledge on the state of the Edmonton Oilers player development group then don't speak on it like they have none. THAT's where the arrogance comes from. You talk like only the Leafs spend money on player development.

You're probably a young rabid fan, and I can appreciate that. Real life isnt like your NHL 19 video games where a "value meter" is all you need to get a player you want.

I'm not expecting you to see things from a different fanbase's perspective, but you are clearly clearly blinded by the belief that the Leafs are at the tippy top of the NHL landscape. The exact reason everyone else hates you guys the most.

They may make fun of us for screwing up a prospect here or there, but to say that we "only really have a farm team" is arrogance beyond compare. If you go past the 1st round, then yes we didn't have a great track record. Yes, we whiffed on Yakupov. Yes, we mismanaged Puljujarvi. But to talk like we're the only ones that have done so, resulting in our captain abandoning ship is plain disrespect.

For all the talk you do about being all this and all that, you better hope that Cup is going to Toronto. You do have a better team than the Oilers, but for the amount of chirping coming out of Leaf nation, you'd think you guys were sick of winning the Cup.

As for Edmonton, with a legitimate man at the helm I'm placing my bets on the fact that Holland can turn this around faster than people think.
You do you, believe what you want, but I do know that the Oilers are in better hands, in better shape now and for the future.

If you still believe McDavid is going to want out, you don't give him enough credit. He's an Oiler, not a whiny Leaf.

Peace out.

That is an awful lot of sour grapes for someone who wants to chirp someone and for being a "young Rabid fan".

Okay forget the Leafs, forget any allegiances and just think about hockey from a business sense. Edmonton has the best player in the world. We both agree on this. You aren't trading him, why would you?

In a perfect world, Holland makes nothing but perfect moves and McDavid is in a cup final in 3 years. I'd love to see it, honestly! I really enjoyed their last cup run and I am a big fan of McDavid.

In a imperfect world, things don't run as smoothly, it takes a while to fix the drafting and player development that is without a doubt a problem. That really can't be argued, Holland is definitely going to improve it but he's starting in a hole. (Not saying you don't have some interesting prospects but it's not a deep pool). If in 2 years the Oilers are still a team saying it's a playoff team and failing again and again, I don't think it's unreasonable to think McDavid may get sick of it and want to dictate a better situation for himself.

That's literally the only way I can see him ever being traded. There is zero reasons Edmonton should ever want to trade him and the only reason I can see him thinking about leaving is if he was sick of losing, which could happen the next two seasons there are a lot of holes.

Maybe he gets tired of it. That is the scenario I see him being traded in and only that, otherwise the price will be too much to get Edmonton to get any offers. This above trade is terrible for the Leafs which is why the only scenario of him moving, in my mind anyways, is if the price is lowered by limited potential trading partners.

That or he's an Oiler for life.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 10:15 a.m.
Oil Country Rising
That is an awful lot of sour grapes for someone who wants to chirp someone and for being a "young Rabid fan".

Okay forget the Leafs, forget any allegiances and just think about hockey from a business sense. Edmonton has the best player in the world. We both agree on this. You aren't trading him, why would you?

In a perfect world, Holland makes nothing but perfect moves and McDavid is in a cup final in 3 years. I'd love to see it, honestly! I really enjoyed their last cup run and I am a big fan of McDavid.

In a imperfect world, things don't run as smoothly, it takes a while to fix the drafting and player development that is without a doubt a problem. That really can't be argued, Holland is definitely going to improve it but he's starting in a hole. (Not saying you don't have some interesting prospects but it's not a deep pool). If in 2 years the Oilers are still a team saying it's a playoff team and failing again and again, I don't think it's unreasonable to think McDavid may get sick of it and want to dictate a better situation for himself.

That's literally the only way I can see him ever being traded. There is zero reasons Edmonton should ever want to trade him and the only reason I can see him thinking about leaving is if he was sick of losing, which could happen the next two seasons there are a lot of holes.

Maybe he gets tired of it. That is the scenario I see him being traded in and only that, otherwise the price will be too much to get Edmonton to get any offers. This above trade is terrible for the Leafs which is why the only scenario of him moving, in my mind anyways, is if the price is lowered by limited potential trading partners.

That or he's an Oiler for life.

Sour grapes? I'm pointing out the exact reason people absolutely hate Leaf fans in general.
"We've got player development, you guys got like.. a set of weights or something".

By "rabid young fan" I mean stubborn. "No my guy is the best, he's better than all your guys"
Listen man, the world is all about balance. If you step back and look at the bigger picture, sometimes youre up sometimes youre down.

Leafs had all the winning before 1967. Now comes the losing. Doesnt mean you cant win again.
Oilers had all the winning in the mid to late 80's, It's been losing ever since. Doesnt mean we cant get back up again.

But to put lipstick on a pig every damn year for the past 50 years, "oh but now we got Wickenheiser teaching our guys how to use MaxiPads", or "ever since we got Shanahan, he preached safety so we'll never be injured again".. that's all in the realm of being a delusional, young, rabid fan.

McDavid isnt leaving if he doesnt get a cup in 3 years lmao. Fine, let's make a checklist.

McDavid stays if:

Help is on the way (check)
Meaningful games in feb to april (sorta check)
Perennial playoffs (not check)

We're more than halfway there.

"But Miguelicious, youve been losing since 2007, McDavid isnt gonna wanna stay for much longer"
"McDavid has been playing for 4 years, the last 8 years don't mean crap to him"
Jul. 23, 2019 at 10:50 a.m.
Banned
Sour grapes? I'm pointing out the exact reason people absolutely hate Leaf fans in general.
"We've got player development, you guys got like.. a set of weights or something".

By "rabid young fan" I mean stubborn. "No my guy is the best, he's better than all your guys"
Listen man, the world is all about balance. If you step back and look at the bigger picture, sometimes youre up sometimes youre down.

Leafs had all the winning before 1967. Now comes the losing. Doesnt mean you cant win again.
Oilers had all the winning in the mid to late 80's, It's been losing ever since. Doesnt mean we cant get back up again.

But to put lipstick on a pig every damn year for the past 50 years, "oh but now we got Wickenheiser teaching our guys how to use MaxiPads", or "ever since we got Shanahan, he preached safety so we'll never be injured again".. that's all in the realm of being a delusional, young, rabid fan.

McDavid isnt leaving if he doesnt get a cup in 3 years lmao. Fine, let's make a checklist.

McDavid stays if:

Help is on the way (check)
Meaningful games in feb to april (sorta check)
Perennial playoffs (not check)

We're more than halfway there.

"But Miguelicious, youve been losing since 2007, McDavid isnt gonna wanna stay for much longer"
"McDavid has been playing for 4 years, the last 8 years don't mean crap to him"

Okay sir, calm down and take a deep breath. I am not a Leafs fan chirping your team. What I am is a hockey fan who doesn't think McDavid is ever going to be traded. That is what I am saying first and foremost.

That is the baseline of my thinking, why would Edmonton ever want to trade him? That is something I have mentioned several time. I hope you are still with me and not going off the deep end about how how obnoxious Leaf fans are. Forget the Leafs. Lets just talk about Edmonton and only Edmonton.

Would they ever want to trade McDavid? I don't see any reason why they would want to. He's the best player in the game. I think we both agree on that.

So if we are going to talk about trading him, wouldn't it make sense to think about why that would happen?

Would they have any interest in fielding calls for him? I don't think so, it would send the wrong message to him.

So the how would a trade for him come about? Does Holland say, I didn't draft him so I don't want him and then trade him? If he did, I imagine that would immediately burn all bridges with the Oilers and McDavid. (Please don't jump down the Leafs nonsense rabbit again, they have nothing to do with this scenario, we are just talking about the Oilers and hypothetically at that) So lets just scrap this whole scenario from the equation, it would be the dumbest thing ever if Holland did this.

Okay so I think its reasonable to assume that the Oilers aren't looking nor would be looking to trade McDavid. So what scenarios would have to exist to change this? If we are still just looking at the Oilers situation and only them I think there are only 2 reasonable reasons why there would be a trade of McDavid.

1) He is injured and there isn't a guarantee that he's going to be the same player. But even if he blows a knee or gets a severe concussion or something, I'd wager Edmonton would just hold on to him and hope for a return to health over trading him for reduced assets which would come if he was facing injury questions that warranted a trade.

2) The only other possible scenario where I see a McDavid trade is if he wants out, I don't think this will be the case and I have stated that several times, at this point I am certain you aren't even reading anything that I am writing but I'll try it all again one last time. This is the only scenario that makes sense for a McDavid trade to become a reality. All other scenarios don't make sense. So if this is the only possible scenario that would lead to a McDavid trade, the constraints on the Oilers management would reduce the return.

SO the moral of the story is Holland better do a good job and make sure none of this ever happens, because it will be really bad for the Oilers if it does.

What I think will happen, or I should say should happen, is that the Oilers will have a tough year again this year but they are going to be proactive in moving out pieces that aren't part of the future and build up more of a stockpile of picks and prospects. I highly doubt they'll make the playoffs and don't think that should be their aim this season and possibly not next season. Holland should spend the necessary time revamping the front office and building an organization that is adapted to the modern style of operations and after next season if everything goes according to plan, you'll have several young players that look like they can play important roles on a cup contender. Its not an overnight fix and if Holland tries it, its going to be the same old for the Oilers, they may have some stretches where things look good but it'll all come crashing down around them if they rush it. Take the time, be patient and in 2 years you probably will have enough signs that point in the right direction that none of this matters and the west will be worried about the big bad oilers.

I for one hope they get it right, because I think a McDavid trade would kill Oiler fans, it just won't be a fair deal.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 11:26 a.m.
Oil Country Rising
Okay sir, calm down and take a deep breath. I am not a Leafs fan chirping your team. What I am is a hockey fan who doesn't think McDavid is ever going to be traded. That is what I am saying first and foremost.

That is the baseline of my thinking, why would Edmonton ever want to trade him? That is something I have mentioned several time. I hope you are still with me and not going off the deep end about how how obnoxious Leaf fans are. Forget the Leafs. Lets just talk about Edmonton and only Edmonton.

Would they ever want to trade McDavid? I don't see any reason why they would want to. He's the best player in the game. I think we both agree on that.

So if we are going to talk about trading him, wouldn't it make sense to think about why that would happen?

Would they have any interest in fielding calls for him? I don't think so, it would send the wrong message to him.

So the how would a trade for him come about? Does Holland say, I didn't draft him so I don't want him and then trade him? If he did, I imagine that would immediately burn all bridges with the Oilers and McDavid. (Please don't jump down the Leafs nonsense rabbit again, they have nothing to do with this scenario, we are just talking about the Oilers and hypothetically at that) So lets just scrap this whole scenario from the equation, it would be the dumbest thing ever if Holland did this.

Okay so I think its reasonable to assume that the Oilers aren't looking nor would be looking to trade McDavid. So what scenarios would have to exist to change this? If we are still just looking at the Oilers situation and only them I think there are only 2 reasonable reasons why there would be a trade of McDavid.

1) He is injured and there isn't a guarantee that he's going to be the same player. But even if he blows a knee or gets a severe concussion or something, I'd wager Edmonton would just hold on to him and hope for a return to health over trading him for reduced assets which would come if he was facing injury questions that warranted a trade.

2) The only other possible scenario where I see a McDavid trade is if he wants out, I don't think this will be the case and I have stated that several times, at this point I am certain you aren't even reading anything that I am writing but I'll try it all again one last time. This is the only scenario that makes sense for a McDavid trade to become a reality. All other scenarios don't make sense. So if this is the only possible scenario that would lead to a McDavid trade, the constraints on the Oilers management would reduce the return.

SO the moral of the story is Holland better do a good job and make sure none of this ever happens, because it will be really bad for the Oilers if it does.

What I think will happen, or I should say should happen, is that the Oilers will have a tough year again this year but they are going to be proactive in moving out pieces that aren't part of the future and build up more of a stockpile of picks and prospects. I highly doubt they'll make the playoffs and don't think that should be their aim this season and possibly not next season. Holland should spend the necessary time revamping the front office and building an organization that is adapted to the modern style of operations and after next season if everything goes according to plan, you'll have several young players that look like they can play important roles on a cup contender. Its not an overnight fix and if Holland tries it, its going to be the same old for the Oilers, they may have some stretches where things look good but it'll all come crashing down around them if they rush it. Take the time, be patient and in 2 years you probably will have enough signs that point in the right direction that none of this matters and the west will be worried about the big bad oilers.

I for one hope they get it right, because I think a McDavid trade would kill Oiler fans, it just won't be a fair deal.

I like how you went from "Matthews and a 1st is more than enough" to "Only because McDavid will want out" because "Edmonton doesnt have any development at all" and now "I dont think they will trade him but itd suck if they did".

Look man, noone's pissed here. How I word things does come off as angry, I get that a lot.
My actual tone is one that is poking fun at something or someone, though scaled back since my humor isnt acceptable to community guidelines since they may or may not cause hurt feelings.
Thus making it sound more angry.

I'll keep on saying what I've been saying:
There's enough evidence to support the notion that the Oilers upward trend, however slow, will be enough to make their stars actually stay.
They've done the fcking up already for more than a decade. McDavid has more class than to leave his team knowing what he is privy to in the organization.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 12:35 p.m.
Banned
I like how you went from "Matthews and a 1st is more than enough" to "Only because McDavid will want out" because "Edmonton doesnt have any development at all" and now "I dont think they will trade him but itd suck if they did".

Look man, noone's pissed here. How I word things does come off as angry, I get that a lot.
My actual tone is one that is poking fun at something or someone, though scaled back since my humor isnt acceptable to community guidelines since they may or may not cause hurt feelings.
Thus making it sound more angry.

I'll keep on saying what I've been saying:
There's enough evidence to support the notion that the Oilers upward trend, however slow, will be enough to make their stars actually stay.
They've done the fcking up already for more than a decade. McDavid has more class than to leave his team knowing what he is privy to in the organization.

I may be saying things here that are going over your head, that happens to me a lot. I tend to look at situations from a much broader sense than most people do and most people don't like thinking about things beyond their emotional attachments to the situation.

I still stand by my guess at what McDavid would bring back in a trade, if it was TO, it would be Matthews plus another small asset. I say that because the only way I see Edmonton ever trading McDavid is if he wanted out because things don't get better. That is a hypothetical situation, its a future that hasn't happened yet but there is definitely a chance it can happen. I haven't wavered in any of my retorts sir, I have been consistent, polite and descriptive in my responses. I am almost certain you haven't read most of what I have said, had you done so, you would see that I am not saying anything is set in stone, what I have been doing is putting forward an idea and backing it up with a number of pieces of supporting information.

So lets recap this since you are hell bent on not listening and like to discount what I am saying as the ramblings of a stupid leaf fan. Just as a side note, I am in no way offended, angry or even annoyed. I just have a need to make myself understood and you sir are not understanding what I am saying nor have you tried to up to this point.

So here it is.

Edmonton has missed the playoffs for 2 years in a row, Chiarelli was a terrible GM who really messed up a lot of things. The front office of the oilers has been a poorly run old boys club for well over a decade. These are two facts that can't be disputed, its well known. Holland has been brought in to right the ship and that happened this summer. He made no front office moves until after the draft at which time he completely revamped the scouting department. He's made several small moves and then moved Lucic (which was an incredible deal in my opinion). At this time Edmonton has some intersting prospects, Bouchard being the top of the pile currently. He looks like he'll be a good player but is still probably a year or two away, Holland has a history of over ripening his prospects and letting them develop so I think its a stretch to assume he's going to jump in and make a big impact this season. The rest of their prospects outside of the ones drafted in the last 2 drafts aren't top end prospects, there is a reason Holland fired the scouting staff, its because they have missed on everyone outside of 1st round picks since 2007). So if we consider Holland's past tendencies, its safe to assume that we won't see much in the way of hot shot young players for a year or two still, which I think is a must, the team isn't ready to contend and won't be for a while so rushing things will only damage development.

So will all that said, I think there will be 2 seasons of not much success for this team, which again, I think is necessary and the smart path forward. So if this plan works, and the players they have drafted and are developing start panning out, in 3 seasons you could have an Oilers team that has a number of home grown players ready to dot the lineup and make meaningful contributions. If that is the case, McDavid will be thrilled and will have all the confidence the team is moving in the right direction.

This is and has always been what I hope to see happen. I truly want to see the Oilers succeed.

With that said, nothing is certain, mistakes can be made, injuries happen and bad luck is a real thing.

So lets say Holland isn't what he used to be, he doesn't draft well, thinks he's closer than he is and rushes things. Makes some high priced FA deals next season and further complicates the Oilers future cap situation, goaltending doesn't improve and prospects take way longer to develop than they hope. All of that is absolutely something that can happen. If it does, in 3 years the Oilers could be sitting here looking at the same situation they are now, very little in the way of depth talent, poor cap situation and goaltending issues. How long can you expect the best player in the world to endure that?

So IF and I really want to emphasize the word IF because I am just speaking in hypotheticals, so if all those things happen, it would be understandable if McDavid gets sick of it and wants to move on. At which time he would have a full NMC and would dictate where he would want to go. There won't be many top end teams that have the cap space to afford him so the potential teams that would want to trade for him at that time (Of course everyone will try to make a pitch) they won't be competing with too many competitors. All the moving parts that would lead to a McDavid trade, weaken the Oilers stance and that is why I say IF ever he is traded, it would be a very bad day for the Oilers.

SO again in conclusion, I hope it never comes to that. All Oiler fans should pray it never comes to that, because if it does, you'll never get anything remotely close to the value that is posted above. That price is ridiculous and TO would have zero interest in it. Rielly could be a Norris winner in the future and Matthews could win the Rocket and no one would be surprised, moving both of those and more, even for the best player in the world is a bad move for a team.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll