Forums/Armchair-GM

A Little Pavelski Rant

Created by: Lime
Team: 2019-20 San Jose Sharks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 22, 2019
Published: Jul. 22, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Sooooo I love Pavelski, I've been a Sharks fan ever since I could say the word Sharks around 2004. I've seen this franchise go through a lot, and I've been behind it the entire time. One of my favorite players that I loved to watch was Joe Pavelski, it was fun watching his hockey career grow as I grew up as a little kid. I cheered with him through his highs and lows, his streaks and slumps, I watched him evolve from Little Joe to Captain America. And then the 2018-19 playoffs happened, and I watched my favorite hockey team rally back against its mortal enemies in by far the most exciting and nerve racking hockey game that I have ever watched in my thousands that I have seen throughout my 15 years of watching hockey. I attended the game 5 against Colorado in the second round and saw Pavelski walk out of the locker room and stand outside waving his rally towel, and everyone in the building gave him a standing ovation. Just for waving a towel. Every. Single. Person. I was one of the loudest people screaming. Everyone got a rush of excitement to see their team's captain doing okay, after a possible career ending (as it looked) injury. Him alone waving a rally towel for 60 seconds fueled his team to victory, eventually to winning the series and heading to the Conference Finals, where Pavelski rejoined the lineup and it was amazing to see.

Then, free agency hit. I was sure that we were going to resign our captain. The cap would be a crunch with Karlsson and his record setting contract, but I knew deep down that we would resign Pavelski. And then the rumors floated in. Pavelski to Chicago? Tampa? Dallas? Nothing about the Sharks resigning him. He released a statement on locker cleanout day that he believed in the system here that he was going to get resigned. And I refuse to believe, after he signed with Dallas, that we did not make him an offer. Now why would he not resign with us ? The team that drafted him in the 7th round, watched him grow and was behind him the entire journey, and made him our captain. He grew his family in San Jose. Was part of a much bigger family of the Sharks organization. The entire fan base loved him to death. He was our Captain America. And he left.

I heard a comparison of him to Tavares a couple days ago that really got me thinking. Tavares left the team that saw him grow and raised him because he wanted a place that could be a contender for years to come, and he found that in Toronto. New York could afford him, but he just wanted to be a contender, and he was born in Toronto so it was a childhood dream. I get that. Pavelski on the other hand, went to Dallas. He got a 3 x 7mil contract. That is what he deserves, but in his joining statement on the NHL network, he said he wanted to go to a "real contender" and a "team that was close to winning." What about the team that was in the Western Conference Finals this year? The team that's been a contender and is going to be a contender for years to come? The team that you said you loved so very much and that you're sad about leaving? All it really seems like, is that he wanted more money. He could have taken a slight discount to 6mil maybe 6.5mil and the deal would have gotten done. But instead he went to somewhere who he thinks is going to be a contender and leaving behind his entire NHL past and a team that seems very close to winning it all.

I love Pavelski and I respect him in every single way, but I will never understand this decision by him.

Sincerely,
Lime
Buyouts
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PHI
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the OTT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the WSH
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the SJS
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
21$81,500,000$67,962,417$660,750$0$13,537,583
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the San Jose Sharks
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$8,000,000$8,000,000
C
M-NTC
UFA - 8
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 4
$5,625,000$5,625,000
C
UFA - 3
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
LW
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
C
UFA - 2
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$7,000,000$7,000,000
LD/RD
NMC
UFA - 7
$10,000,000$10,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 8
$5,750,000$5,750,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 5
$1,635,000$1,635,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,280,000$5,280,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 6
$1,900,000$1,900,000
G
UFA - 1
$735,000$735,000
LD
UFA - 1
$960,000$960,000
RD
UFA - 1
$675,000$675,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 22, 2019 at 4:38 p.m.
bruh. go get some butthurt cream.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 4:40 p.m.
Quoting: feds91stammer
bruh. go get some butthurt cream.

You're right, I need some. Just some sad boy hours
JMeyer18 liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 4:51 p.m.
LEAFSandBRUINSfan
Sjs just didn’t have enough money and he ended up going to a better team imo now. Probably best u didn’t resign him because that 3rd year is going to be hard to watch
Jul. 22, 2019 at 4:57 p.m.
Jzoni10
Simple, Sharks didn't offer him. They wouldn't have because, yes losing your Captain sucks but it's that or losing key future players such as Meier. They have 4.86 left to sign Thorton and Marleau (My prediction). This is also why Labanc agreed to a VERY team friendly deal. Personally I would have dropped Karlsson to resign everyone else.
palhal liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 5:01 p.m.
Jefe
sharks essentially picked Carlson over their Captain. Pavelski is a heart guy, but he wasn't gonna take a Labanc contract. He has one more chance to make some money for his family, and Dallas gave him that deal. I see him returning one day for cheap but it was about time for him to make his money while he still can.

Now: Pavelski and Tyler Myers at 6? or EK65 at 11.5 playing on same side as Burns and no Pavs
Jul. 22, 2019 at 5:02 p.m.
Philly Sports Fan
Its going to be very weird to see him in a Dallas sweater.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 5:03 p.m.
He may have felt they had hit a wall. This team has been so consistently good for so long, and coming up short time after time must be really frustrating, especially when he's only got a few more years left of being Joe Pavelski the stud.

San Jose is an aging team, and their window as a dominant threat in the West was coming to a close, at least for a few years, and he was going to be spent when it came open again.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 5:04 p.m.
What in tarnation
"Team that is going to be a contender for years to come"

Somehow I doubt it. The core of the team is aging rapidly. The situation in Dallas is completely different in that regard - they just acquired a bunch of veterans to make them reach further than the 2nd round, but otherwise the team is younger and getting even better.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 5:12 p.m.
Ban Price trades
Quoting: BurgerBoss
"Team that is going to be a contender for years to come"

Somehow I doubt it. The core of the team is aging rapidly. The situation in Dallas is completely different in that regard - they just acquired a bunch of veterans to make them reach further than the 2nd round, but otherwise the team is younger and getting even better.

To add to this, DeBoer is notorious for coaching down to his opposition and it has resulted in his annual out-coaching in the 2nd or 3rd rounds. The Sharks had the same problem with Maclellan. If you see the coaching staff making routine mistakes and nobody in the organization is looking to address them, and you probably only have another 2 or 3 years of pro hockey left in you, the smartest move would be to move on.

Dallas is sneaky good. Everyone sees them as a two man show and then they turn around and win the west or reach the division finals only to lose to the eventual cup champs. Pavelski going there makes that team immediately stronger and on paper should see them set a higher benchmark than last season.

Losing franchise players sucks, and I'll bemoan the day McDavid leaves Edmonton for whatever reason (t-minus 345 days), but it's understandable in terms of their career.
OldNYIfan and justaBoss liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 5:16 p.m.
LongtimeLeafsufferer
With Karlsson eating so much of the cap (along with Burns and Vlasic) Pavelski was probably right, San Jose can't content. Don't know how San Jose managed to sign UFA Heed and RFA Lebanc so cheap.
The Karlsson reminds of the classic.....San Jose gave up so much to acquire him for one year that they had to resign him to justify the trade. IMO it will be a long term mistake.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 5:31 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
I bet Wilson didn't offer him anywhere near $6MM. That would have made Meier or Hertl over the limit and probably would have precluded signing Labanc to such a friendly deal. This was a purely financial decision, but it was made at least 50% by San Jose.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 6:20 p.m.
TheEmphatic1
From what I read, Joe Pavelski and the Sharks front office couldn’t agree on the pay and term. The Sharks also didn’t want to match what Dallas was offering. I think either Joe Pavelski and/or his agent mentioned about Dallas and Doug Wilson couldn’t match.

Joe Pavelski’s jersey is my 2nd Sharks jersey. The first being Patrick Marleau’s. As much as I like both players, I was ready for both to move on. I want neither back. The Sharks need a “changing of the guard.” The team needs to get younger and faster to compete in today’s NHL. If they truly want to keep their window opened, their young talent needs to develop and carry the load next. Joe Pavelski had his time here.

Joe Pavelski seems happy to be part of Dallas or at least, bittersweet with leaving the Sharks organization. Let it be. He couldn’t help win the cup with the tenure with the Sharks and now, no offense, he is slow as molasses and I believe he will be on the decline. I’m sure he wants to prove everyone wrong, but he will be 37 to 38 by the time his contract is up. I don’t think he can play like he use to. I believe in Doug Wilson and I think it was the right decision to let him walk. This is Couture’s team now.

Quoting: palhal
With Karlsson eating so much of the cap (along with Burns and Vlasic) Pavelski was probably right, San Jose can't content. Don't know how San Jose managed to sign UFA Heed and RFA Lebanc so cheap.
The Karlsson reminds of the classic.....San Jose gave up so much to acquire him for one year that they had to resign him to justify the trade. IMO it will be a long term mistake.

This is why I don’t think the Sharks should go after Kreider. He will be UFA after this upcoming season. Then, it’s the “desperation” to sign him to make it worth trading the assets to acquire him in the first place. Seems like repeating history just like EK65’s scenario. Let’s not go there again.

I rather have someone who’s young with high potential that can develop on a cheap contract rather than be in cap hell again next offseason. Players like Labanc, Dillon, Simek, Heed (if he turns out well) are due for new contracts. You also have to worry about the Seattle expansion draft in the near future.
palhal liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll