Forums/Armchair-GM

Realistic Roster - Part 2

Created by: Greeed
Team: 2019-20 Edmonton Oilers
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 22, 2019
Published: Jul. 22, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Now that Neal has been acquired, what's next for the Oilers? My last post called the trade a few hours before it actually took place (I thought a nonconditional 5th would force it through, but a conditional 3rd works too). I also had a trade involving Puljujarvi, but this time I'll choose to keep him.

Holland came out saying that he likes 1.5 Mil in cap space, and that he's saving about 1 mil for Smith's bonus. The rest of that money was pumped all into a 1 Year show-me contract to Puljujarvi. The problem is: where does he play? As i see things currently, I think they are gonna try to put McDavid and Neal together to inflate the latter's value as high as possible. As for the LW, I think Nygard gets the chance here; he's fast and can give an option for McDavid on the rush. To me, that means we can run Draisaitl as 2C and RNH as 3C, which opens up the issue of "who is playing left wing?" Chiasson is the one with the most experience at the position (of our right wingers) and plays best with RNH, so he slots in at 3LW. That means that Archibald can round out the line. While Kassian could play with Draisaitl on the 2nd line, I see him more as a fourth liner. That leaves the 2RW spot wide open for Puljujarvi to prove his worth. Granlund can slot in on the LW in order to give him room to make mistakes as well. Seems like the best move to increase his value. That leaves the 4C and 4LW spots open. Unless there's a series of crazy events (i.e. Benson, Nygard, Granlund, Cave, Haas, and Gagner forcing him out of the lineup in some fashion), Khaira should be the 4LW. That leaves the 4C position open for: Cave, Gagner, and Haas. I gave it to Haas since if he doesn't get it, he's going back to Europe and we lose the asset.

Although we could use another top 6 forward, i think the biggest area of issue is the second pair RHD. I really dont want to slot in Russell or Jones in that spot (being that they are lefties), and I don't think Benning can play in that role. That leaves Persson, but having him jump straight there is a huge stretch when he probably ends up as a 7th D. This leads me to the Russell trade. Looking at my options, the only real fits were Pateryn in Minnesota, Pysyk in Florida, and Martinez in LA. While being the most unlikely team-wise, i think its the best fit for both teams. LA has little to no LHD that can play 2nd pairing minutes, and they could use all the picks and prospects they can get. While Martinez is an upgrade on Russell, I can't see a 2nd rounder being in this trade, which leaves me with either a player or a 4th going back as a sweetner. I chose Berglund, as he is the highest draft prospect on the list that isnt from 2019, but you could swap this out with Cairns if you think he's better. As for Russell's NMC, I think Holland and Tippett tell him straight up that he is gonna be a 7th dman for this team because Jones is ready. Between the press box and top 4 minutes, I know what I'd choose.

Finally I signed Vanek to a PTO. He can compete with Nygard for a spot in the lineup. Whether he actually signs is up in the air, however ill throw it out there.
Free Agent Signings
RESERVE LISTYEARSCAP HIT
2$700,000
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,200,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$700,000
Trades
Buyouts
Retained Salary Transactions
Buried
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the EDM
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$78,721,999$0$2,457,500$2,778,001
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$925,000$925,000
LW
UFA - 1
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
$5,750,000$5,750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 4
$1,300,000$1,300,000
RW, LW, C
UFA - 1
$8,500,000$8,500,000
C, LW
UFA - 6
$1,200,000$1,200,000
RW
UFA
$2,150,000$2,150,000
RW
UFA - 2
$6,000,000$6,000,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LW, C
UFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$637,500$638K)
C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$1,950,000$1,950,000
RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,167,000$4,167,000
LD
UFA - 4
$4,166,666$4,166,666
RD
UFA - 2
$4,500,000$4,500,000
G
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$3,200,000$3,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$2,000,000$2,000,000 (Performance Bonus$1,750,000$2M)
G
NTC
UFA - 1
$720,000$720,000 (Performance Bonus$70,000$70K)
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$1,900,000$1,900,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
LW, RW
UFA
$2,835,000$2,835,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 22, 2019 at 4:46 p.m.
Calgary Flames
Neal can not keep up with mcdavid, mcdavid will be in the zone and neal will be at his blue line
Jul. 22, 2019 at 4:57 p.m.
That's why i put Nygard on the line, for the rush. And if they get actual zone time, Neal can take a pass from McDavid and score.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 4:58 p.m.
Simpleton
Quoting: YYC
Neal can not keep up with mcdavid, mcdavid will be in the zone and neal will be at his blue line

Perhaps that is true. However, Chiasson potted 22 goals, most of which came while playing with McDavid. That suggests to me that McDavid can work well with slower guys. Besides, Holland has talked about Neal being a possible answer on the left side, and I think that means the GM sees him playing the 2LW, behind Draisaitl. All this discussion about an opportunity to play with McDavid is in deference to the fact that training camp and preseason are still a long way away.
OldNYIfan liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 5:11 p.m.
Once a Kings Fan Too
Quoting: uphere
Perhaps that is true. However, Chiasson potted 22 goals, most of which came while playing with McDavid. That suggests to me that McDavid can work well with slower guys. Besides, Holland has talked about Neal being a possible answer on the left side, and I think that means the GM sees him playing the 2LW, behind Draisaitl. All this discussion about an opportunity to play with McDavid is in deference to the fact that training camp and preseason are still a long way away.

What about Neal-McDavid-Chiasson, Draistaitl-Nugent Hopkins-Puljujarvi, Granlund-Khaira-Archibald, Nygard-Haas-Kassian? That way, opposing teams can't simply line up against the first trio.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 9:32 p.m.
Simpleton
Quoting: OldNYIfan
What about Neal-McDavid-Chiasson, Draistaitl-Nugent Hopkins-Puljujarvi, Granlund-Khaira-Archibald, Nygard-Haas-Kassian? That way, opposing teams can't simply line up against the first trio.

I think, with Lucic gone, Holland is hoping that Kassian can continue to have success with McDavid and Draisaitl. Certainly Kassian is one of the few pugilists who has enough speed to keep up with those other two, and he does have some offensive flair (he managed to score 15 last season, and with a far more realistic shooting percentage than Chiasson enjoyed). It makes sense to me that the GM will want some decent protection for the Crown Jewels, and if that tough guy has the potential for 15-20 goals then life is great.

Neal, in my opinion, is a calculated gamble on Holland’s part. It serves the team well if Neal plays the left side with Nugent-Hopkins, and I think Holland is hoping Chiasson and Gagner compete for the 2RW. If Puljujarvi signs, he will start on the 3rd line, unless he completely dominates through October and November.

I don’t know what to expect with the bottom six, but it should be better than last season’s group. If Holland can’t bring in an experienced guy to center the third line, maybe Marody and Haas compete for the 3C. At this point in his career, Gagner is a right wing, and either he or Chiasson will be needed on the 3rd line to support a rookie center. Khaira is far more effective along the boards, Granlund has struggled down the middle, and Brodziak is either the 4C or headed for waivers.

My guess, the early season line-up might look something like this:

Draisaitl/McDavid/Kassian
Neal/Nugent-Hopkins/Gagner
Nygaard/Marody/Chiasson
Khaira/Haas/Granlund/Archibald
Jul. 23, 2019 at 3:37 p.m.
Quoting: uphere
I think, with Lucic gone, Holland is hoping that Kassian can continue to have success with McDavid and Draisaitl. Certainly Kassian is one of the few pugilists who has enough speed to keep up with those other two, and he does have some offensive flair (he managed to score 15 last season, and with a far more realistic shooting percentage than Chiasson enjoyed). It makes sense to me that the GM will want some decent protection for the Crown Jewels, and if that tough guy has the potential for 15-20 goals then life is great.

Neal, in my opinion, is a calculated gamble on Holland’s part. It serves the team well if Neal plays the left side with Nugent-Hopkins, and I think Holland is hoping Chiasson and Gagner compete for the 2RW. If Puljujarvi signs, he will start on the 3rd line, unless he completely dominates through October and November.

I don’t know what to expect with the bottom six, but it should be better than last season’s group. If Holland can’t bring in an experienced guy to center the third line, maybe Marody and Haas compete for the 3C. At this point in his career, Gagner is a right wing, and either he or Chiasson will be needed on the 3rd line to support a rookie center. Khaira is far more effective along the boards, Granlund has struggled down the middle, and Brodziak is either the 4C or headed for waivers.

My guess, the early season line-up might look something like this:

Neal/Nugent-Hopkins/Gagner
Nygaard/Marody/Chiasson
Khaira/Haas/Granlund/Archibald

If i were to redo the lines on the assumption that McDavid and Draisaitl play together, i would go with:

Neal/Nugent-Hopkins/Chiasson
Nygard/Granlund/Archibald
Khaira/Haas/Gagner

for the roster as it stands. Chiasson played his best hockey when paired with RNH, and Neal will assumingly bring more offense to the line. I think that Archibald and Granlund play 3rd line duties together as both are two-way players that are good on the pk. Definitely want to get them gelling together on 5-on-5 if they are gonna be on the first pk unit against the opponent's best lines. I think Nygard with his speed with compliment them more than Khaira, who will find himself on the fourth line. Haas, being the shiny new toy and unwilling to go to the minors, takes the 4C role. I would consider Cave for the role if Haas busts. Brodziak should be buried. That leaves Gagner and Jurco to compete for the final RW spot, of which i gave it to Gagner as the defense option, as well as the fact that id rather have a high scoring AHLer in the AHL with my prospects.

The only thing i don't like about this lineup is that there is ZERO room for puljujarvi, and the 3C role still has a hole. Is Granlund a Center? This lineup sure makes it seem like he was brought in for the role, while many believe him to be a winger instead. Also, in this lineup you aren't putting puljujarvi on the top 2 lines. I don't want to breakup the Granlund/Archibald pair either. Sure you can put him in for Gagner, but hes not playing on the fourth line, that doesnt help him. Which means you have to swap around the 3rd and 4th lines. Then you have:

Neal/Nugent-Hopkins/Chiasson
Nygard/Haas/Puljujarvi
Khaira/Granlund/Archibald

which to me is the shakiest 3rd line you'll see in the league. Two unknown, unproven Europeans with Puljujarvi. Yikes.

What it comes down to is whether or not you think Puljujarvi is staying or going. Staying? I'd say my line combo above with the star players split up. Going? Well i hope he brings in a 3C.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 11:59 p.m.
Eichel Tower
First, I am not criticizing the trade, because I would like to get Martinez for Buffalo. Why do you think LAK would make this trade. Russell is 32 and Berglund does not appear on Dobber prospects. I was thinking of one of Buffalo's RHD (younger than Russell) for Martinez.
Please help me understand, is LA shopping Martinez?
Greeed and Bostonbruins liked this.
Jul. 24, 2019 at 4:15 p.m.
Quoting: GMTD
First, I am not criticizing the trade, because I would like to get Martinez for Buffalo. Why do you think LAK would make this trade. Russell is 32 and Berglund does not appear on Dobber prospects. I was thinking of one of Buffalo's RHD (younger than Russell) for Martinez.
Please help me understand, is LA shopping Martinez?

The reason I think they would do it is due to their abundance of RHD, shortage of LHD, and the fact that they are a bad team. When trying to come up with teams to trade Russell to, this seemed like the best fit. Haven't heard anything on LA shopping Martinez, I just thought he would be the best defenseman I could get using Russell without giving up an arm and a leg. I went with Berglund in the trade due to him being a former 3rd round pick (which i see as the difference between Martinez and Russell) and the fact that he is a RHD that could eventually replace Martinez in the lineup. Kings need to get younger and faster, and adding more prospects to the pool is never a bad thing. I could be underrating Martinez a bit in this trade though, perhaps Ethan Bear could be included instead of Berglund to make it more fair.
GMTD and Bostonbruins liked this.
Jul. 24, 2019 at 4:38 p.m.
Eichel Tower
Quoting: Greeed
The reason I think they would do it is due to their abundance of RHD, shortage of LHD, and the fact that they are a bad team. When trying to come up with teams to trade Russell to, this seemed like the best fit. Haven't heard anything on LA shopping Martinez, I just thought he would be the best defenseman I could get using Russell without giving up an arm and a leg. I went with Berglund in the trade due to him being a former 3rd round pick (which i see as the difference between Martinez and Russell) and the fact that he is a RHD that could eventually replace Martinez in the lineup. Kings need to get younger and faster, and adding more prospects to the pool is never a bad thing. I could be underrating Martinez a bit in this trade though, perhaps Ethan Bear could be included instead of Berglund to make it more fair.

While he may be showing his age and Martinez had a very bad year, but so did every one else. It is difficult to judge what is his value under these circumtances, and maybe Blake would move him for for your original trade, no one commented whether it was fair or not, so I do not know how to judge it.
Greeed and Bostonbruins liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll