Forums/Armchair-GM

19-20 Projected Blackhawks

Created by: WallMaz
Team: 2019-20 Chicago Blackhawks
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 22, 2019
Published: Jul. 22, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Projected lineup of the 2019/2020 Chicago Blackhawks. Kirby Dach and maybe Adam Boqvist get the first 9 games of the season with the Hawks and then get sent down. The Blackhawks stick with a 1st line that worked last year. Drake Caggiula is a work horse everywhere on the ice and makes space for Jonathan Toews and Patrick Kane to make plays. On the 2nd line they have great chemistry between Alex DeBrincat and Dylan Strome. They have a wildcard on their line in Alex Nylander who has good offensive upside and can score. 3rd line has a good mix of skill and size. They can score gritty goals (thanks to Andrew Shaw and Brandon Saad) but also score from the perimeter (Dominik Kubalik) as well as defend (Brandon Saad). The 4th line is mostly defensive, has good size and versatility something coach Colliton seems to love. All three players (Zack Smith, David Kampf and Ryan Carpenter) have all of those characteristics. Anton Wedin serves as the healthy scratch as many of the Hawks prospects develop in the minors. He may get sometime as he’s a versatile speedy forward much like former Blackhawk, Dominik Kahun. Brendan Perlini is the odd man out and ends up getting traded for picks and a defensive prospect. 1st line of defense is another line that worked with Duncan Keith-Erik Gustafsson which has offensive upside and Keith can cover for Gustafsson’s defensive deficiencies. Gustafsson can also use his speed to help Keith. Next is Calvin de Haan-Brent Seabrook. Seabrook has struggled as of late but de Haan should be able to cover for him defensively. While it’s a slower pair it is a good two-way pair. Finally the 3rd pairing of Olli Määtta-Connor Murphy. Määtta is more of a two-way defenseman while Murphy is a defensive defenseman and is very solid. Again like Seabrook and de Haan it’s a slower pair but should get the job done. Slater Koekkoek serves as the healthy scratch. The 2nd and 3rd pair split pretty even minutes while Keith and Gustafsson average +20 minutes a night. The goalie situation I think will be a 1A 1B situation and honestly is a wild card. Corey Crawford is good when healthy. Problem is he’s not often healthy. And then we have Robin Lehner who is good but is inconsistent (see 17-18). The Blackhawks run the same top power play unit as last year. It worked very well once it got going. All of the players had great chemistry and should continue to do so. They also come back with a new and improved 2nd unit. Nylander is the sniper on the left, Shaw sits in front of the net, Saad plays along the boards, Keith is the puck moving defenseman and Kubalik is their as a sniper/playmaker at the point similar to Gustafsson on the 1st unit. On the 1st penalty kill unit the Blackhawks run Toews and Kampf similar to last year but de Haan and Murphy shore up the back end and block shots. The next unit could be interchangeable (Shaw, Smith, Caggiula, Seabrook and etc.) but I decided to go with newly acquired center Carpenter (52% on facoffs) and Saad on the wing, who is a good penalty killer. The blueline isn’t amazing but Keith is a hard worker and can play limited minutes on the PK and Määtta can block a lot of shots and is good in his own end. Thoughts?
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
1$1,400,000
Trades
CHI
  1. Samorukov, Dmitri
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (EDM)
  3. 2021 7th round pick (EDM)
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the MTL
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the EDM
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
Logo of the CHI
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$66,801,686$0$4,207,500$14,698,314

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$1,500,000$1,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,500,000$10,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 4
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
$778,333$778,333 (Performance Bonus$32,500$32K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$2,475,000$2M)
C
UFA - 1
$863,333$863,333 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
RW, LW
RFA - 2
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$3,900,000$3,900,000
C, RW
UFA - 3
$5,000,000$5,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,250,000$3,250,000
LW, C
M-NTC
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
C
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$5,538,462$5,538,462
LD
NMC
UFA - 4
$1,200,000$1,200,000
LD
UFA - 1
$1,400,000$1,400,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,550,000$4,550,000
LD/RD
UFA - 3
$6,875,000$6,875,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 5
$6,000,000$6,000,000
G
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$3,333,225$3,333,225
LD
UFA - 3
$3,850,000$3,850,000
RD
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 22, 2019 at 11:39 p.m.
CHI NYI
I’m intrigued. I doubt we could get that much for Perlini, even from Edmonton. But otherwise, everything else seems thoughtful and plausible, I like it a lot
WallMaz liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 11:39 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
The top 6 should be :
Kubalik-Toews-Nylander
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane
WallMaz liked this.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 11:51 p.m.
WallMazJR
Quoting: ForsbergForVezina
I’m intrigued. I doubt we could get that much for Perlini, even from Edmonton. But otherwise, everything else seems thoughtful and plausible, I like it a lot

Yeah I was having a really hard time determining his value. I think Perlini’s combination of goal scoring and size is something teams covet. It’s gonna be interesting to see how it plays out with him.
Jul. 22, 2019 at 11:52 p.m.
WallMazJR
Quoting: SevenLeg
The top 6 should be :
Kubalik-Toews-Nylander
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane

I could see that being a possibility. These lines are just a projection. I like your lines as well!
SevenLeg liked this.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 1:03 a.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
The top 6 should be :
Kubalik-Toews-Nylander
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane

Not happening. Each line has to have a forward willing to play defense and that 2nd line doesn't; they will score a lot but give up a lot. For that reason, as several beat writers have pointed out, Shaw is a real possibility on the 2nd line.

Top line isn't going to consist of 2 rookie wingers...that's just bad management. Nylander also hasn't shown squat. The guy is going to be in the AHL unless he breaks out at training camp or the preseason but so far has shown nothing to indicate he's a top line winger...or 2nd line winger or should be in a NHL lineup. It's foolish to think that will change until proven so.

Kubalik is intriguing and could be lighting in a bottle but again, giving him top line minutes? I get he had a breakout tournament at the Worlds but that's not the NHL and he's never played on NA ice and of course in the NHL...give him 3rd line minutes and see how he does. I think he's going to be a better version of Kahun and because of that may very well end up being on the 1st line.

More likely lines;

Saad (Perlini/Sikura) - Toews - Kane
Cat - Strome - Shaw
Kubalik - Kampf - Perlini/Sikura (Saad)
Smith - Carpenter - Caggs

Everything I'm reading from the beat writers say Kampf will get the 3C if Dach doesn't make it and most think he won't.
WallMaz liked this.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 9:04 a.m.
Quoting: ChiHawk
Not happening. Each line has to have a forward willing to play defense and that 2nd line doesn't; they will score a lot but give up a lot. For that reason, as several beat writers have pointed out, Shaw is a real possibility on the 2nd line.

Top line isn't going to consist of 2 rookie wingers...that's just bad management. Nylander also hasn't shown squat. The guy is going to be in the AHL unless he breaks out at training camp or the preseason but so far has shown nothing to indicate he's a top line winger...or 2nd line winger or should be in a NHL lineup. It's foolish to think that will change until proven so.

Kubalik is intriguing and could be lighting in a bottle but again, giving him top line minutes? I get he had a breakout tournament at the Worlds but that's not the NHL and he's never played on NA ice and of course in the NHL...give him 3rd line minutes and see how he does. I think he's going to be a better version of Kahun and because of that may very well end up being on the 1st line.

More likely lines;

Saad (Perlini/Sikura) - Toews - Kane
Cat - Strome - Shaw
Kubalik - Kampf - Perlini/Sikura (Saad)
Smith - Carpenter - Caggs

Everything I'm reading from the beat writers say Kampf will get the 3C if Dach doesn't make it and most think he won't.

It's nice to finally have some flexibility again. It's already been announced that Kane will spend a lot of his time (at least at first) with Toews on the first line, with the left-winger open and possibly interchangable, although the stats don't like with Caggs playing there.

It 's just painful and hard to swallow having a third line that costs $10 million when the second line only costs under $3 million.
WallMaz liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll