Forums/Armchair-GM

What now discussion 4

Created by: WhatNowDiscussion
Team: 2019-20 Los Angeles Kings
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 23, 2019
Published: Jul. 23, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Due to the fact that making an armchair gm team right now is kind of pointless. I'll be posting discussion forums similar to my last posts.

Topic: What LA needs to do to become a force in the NHL again

Should LA declare a rebuild?

What moves need to be made in order for the Kings to be contenders again?

Who should LA build the team around?

How soon before LA becomes a contender?

What do you thnk of LA's prospect pool and drafting habits/trends?

What postion does LA need to improve upon most?

Should LA start from scratch trading away players like Brown, Kopitar, Quick, and Carter? If yes, what do they try to get in return? NHL players, prospects, or draft picks.
Buyouts
Recapture Fees
Termination Fees
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the CGY
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
Logo of the LAK
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$66,141,781$0$982,500$15,358,219
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
$350,000$350,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$10,000,000$10,000,000
C
NMC
UFA - 5
$5,875,000$5,875,000
RW, LW
M-NTC
UFA - 3
$2,425,000$2,425,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$2,636,364$2,636,364
RW, C
UFA - 3
$4,600,000$4,600,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$800,000$800,000
LW
UFA - 1
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RW, C
UFA - 1
$759,167$759,167 (Performance Bonus$132,500$132K)
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$925,000$925,000
LW, RW
RFA - 1
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$850,000$850K)
C
RFA - 2
$700,000$700,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$1,893,750$1,893,750
LD
UFA - 1
$11,000,000$11,000,000
RD
NMC
UFA - 8
$2,900,000$2,900,000
G
UFA - 4
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
LD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
G
UFA - 1
$825,000$825,000
RD
UFA - 1
$745,000$745,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
LD/RD, LW
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 23, 2019 at 11:28 a.m.
Ban Price trades
The immediate problem with trading guys like Brown and Quick is their age and price points. These are expensive players actively regressing due to their age that will not be worth their value at the end of their contracts. Carter falls into this category too. The optimal route for getting them off the books would be compliance buyout during the next lockout. I don't think that there is substantial value to be had from any of those three.

Moving Kopitar and Doughty will be a near impossibility due to their cap hits. This I see as less of an issue: despite their age and the Kings' situation, these are the kind of players the franchise needs to keep. It helps maintains a fanbase, gives the younger prospects some quality mentors, and gives the Kings something of a backbone to build this thing around.

Right now, the most value is in guys like Campbell, Clifford, Forbort, and Toffoli: pure rentals that can be moved at the deadline for valuable pieces. All four are likely to be hot commodities come February and there's reason to believe that the Kings could go into the 2020 draft with a lot of pieces at their disposal.

I can't speak for their drafting beyond the first round, but a core of Clague, Kupari, Petersen, Turcotte, and hopefully a healthy Vilardi is a very strong group to be working with. Adding to the wings and blueline in upcoming drafts is pivotal, which should put the Kings' rebuild on track to finish in approximately 2 or 3 years after this season? At which point it's a matter of insulating prospects and surrounding them with viable NHL talent in order to avoid what has happened in Arizona, Buffalo, and Edmonton. Contender status will rely heavily on those kinds of moves, so outwardly predicting when now is very difficult. Expectations would dictate in 5 years?

In terms of improving a position, I'd argue coaching and front office would be the place worth looking at the most. I'm unconvinced in Maclellan's effectiveness as a coach and I have even more doubts in the Kings management being truly competent.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 1:02 p.m.
Quoting: BeterChiarelli
The immediate problem with trading guys like Brown and Quick is their age and price points. These are expensive players actively regressing due to their age that will not be worth their value at the end of their contracts. Carter falls into this category too. The optimal route for getting them off the books would be compliance buyout during the next lockout. I don't think that there is substantial value to be had from any of those three.

I gotta disagree to an extent here, and that's with regards to Brown. He's been actively their best winger for the past 2 years, and has shown a resurgence instead of a regression. It remains to be seen if Quick is regressing as the year he had last year is nothing more than an anomaly at this point. If he has another bad year, then I think it's safe to say he has regressed. Carter is where I do agree, but I'm hoping he's primed for a bounce-back year if the Kings actually do move him to the wing, which has been a topic of discussion amongst the team brass.

Their drafting has actually been really solid the past couple of years, enough to bring their prospect pool up into the top-10 of the NHL, according to a decent amount of experts. Beyond the first rounders, Jaret Anderson-Dolan is going to be fighting for a role this year and projects to be a really solid 3rd line center with significant leadership capabilities and grit (think Kyle Clifford as a center, with more skill but less fighting). In addition to that, Akil Thomas lit up the OHL last year. While he won't make the team this year and can't play in the AHL, look for him to make an impact in the 2020-2021 season at the professional level. Finally, adding Kaliyev to the crop of prospects this year has added an elite-level scoring piece that the Kings haven't had in ages, if they can develop him properly. If Matt Luff, Mike Amadio, and Austin Wagner can turn into full-time NHL'rs, the Kings could turn around their bottom-6 scoring woes/depth pretty quickly with some speed and talent the team hasn't seen in a decade +.

On the defensive side, Durzi, Clague, Brickley, and Mikey Anderson are all very close to making the leap, and I expect Bjornfot will push for a roster spot as early as next (2020-2021) season. The Reign defensive depth is very raw, but is loaded with proper NHL-level prospects. Add into that the surprise development of Markus Phillips for added depth in the AHL, the great rookie campaigns for Sean Walker and Matt Roy in the NHL, and the toughness element in Kurtis MacDermid as a 6/7th defenesmen, the Kings really are only missing that Byram-level defensive prospect to take over the mantle of Drew Doughty. But with Doughty still only 29, that's not an immediate concern for the team.

As far as coaching, nothing can be worse than WD last year. Maclellan was actually fairly effective when he took over for the Sharks, a team that was in a similar position as the Kings: One with a significant age gap between the star players and the prospects. He was able to gel them together very well, so I have decent hopes for the Kings. The management team definitely had a gaffe to start, with the Kovalchuk signing and assuming the team was still a contender, but once that belief was quickly killed, Blake made some very savvy moves. He flipped Tanner Pearson into a decent draft pick (after trading Hagelin to the Caps), got a return that seems to be pretty decent in Grundstrom, Durzi, and Bjornfot by trading Muzzin, and traded nearly all of the UFA's before the deadline to ensure they got something for the talent that wouldn't be returning this coming season. With the Phaneuf buyout, he's positioning the team to become younger on the blue-line, and hopefully JAD/Kupari get significant NHL time this season to make the front younger as well.
WhatNowDiscussion liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll