SalarySwishSalarySwish
Forums/NHL

What Now Discussion

Jul. 23, 2019 at 11:17 a.m.
44 Foundation
Topic: With the offseason moves made, is Toronto a serious contender to win the cup?
-Last season Toronto struggled heavily in the defensive category having only one or two solid defensive players.

Did Toronto fix their defensive struggle with the moves they made this season?

Will Marner get resigned, get signed by another team, pull a Nylander, or play overseas?

Do you think Toronto should stop trading away draft picks (especially first and second-round picks)?

If you had to give Toronto's offseason a grade, what would it be? (A, B, C, D, F)

Should I keep making posts like this? Please leave a thumbs up at the end of your comment if you enjoy these posts. Leave a thumbs down if you do not and tell me what I can do better.

Respond in the comments!!
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 11:24 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Hockey44
Topic: With the offseason moves made, is Toronto a serious contender to win the cup?
-Last season Toronto struggled heavily in the defensive category having only one or two solid defensive players.

Will Marner get resigned, get signed by another team, pull a Nylander, or play overseas?

Do you think Toronto should stop trading away draft picks (especially first and second-round picks)?

If you had to give Toronto's offseason a grade, what would it be? (A, B, C, D, F)

Should I keep making posts like this? Please leave a thumbs up at the end of your comment if you enjoy these posts. Leave a thumbs down if you do not and tell me what I can do better.

I do believe Toronto is a serious contender to win the cup. They were one big piece away and that piece was another top 4 defenseman. Their defence is pretty much league average now, if not better. The only question i have is the #6 spot, but i'm sure they'll find someone good enough. Holl, Harpur, whoever. But they'll need to get another guy to play at the start of the season with Dermott's injury. I think they're still a playoff team without Dermott, and if they make it, he'll be back for the playoffs, so i don't think that's a big problem, like Zach Hyman on forward. Their forward group is also still pretty good.

Yes, the defence is way better IMO. Barrie is a huge add for them. I also think Ceci is a bit underrated and i think he's a top-6 defenseman.

I think Marner signs with Toronto. I just can't see anything else happening.

Not sure about the picks. Depends how they're playing at the deadline.

Probably a B. They added Barrie which is huge, and moving out guys like Marleau, at least they got cap space doing that.

How do you leave a thumbs down? A dislike? Those don't exist. When you say "posts like this" if you mean questions like this about a team, i think you should keep making them, but it's up to you.
BuFfaLOFaN liked this.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 11:25 a.m.
torontos finest
there's a board for toronto stuff.
Jul. 23, 2019 at 11:26 a.m.
44 Foundation
Quoting: mondo
there's a board for toronto stuff.

i know its posted there too
Jul. 25, 2019 at 1:34 p.m.
Quoting: WhatNowDiscussion
Yes.

Yes.

Re-signed. But holdout will last into the season.

If they can improve while remaining under the cap; sure.

B.

Yup.

Jul. 26, 2019 at 4:59 p.m.
Quoting: WhatNowDiscussion

Yes, I think also as the young core grows they will get better at defense and become stronger and more confident

I think that they did, but defense is also a team game so forwards need to step up

Yes, they can't let him walk and I hope, but doubt, that a team will offer sheet him.

I believe that's the price you pay to contend. If they trade for younger players, -25, It would be worth it.

B+ They did very well and managed cap, if they sign marner with minimum loss this grade should become a A

Yes, GJ

Jul. 26, 2019 at 5:33 p.m.
torontos finest

The back end of the defense leaves a lot to chance. I think they should look a lot better last year.

He's re-signing.

Depends on the context/return of these trades. Muzzin was an overpayment to be honest, but the Marleau trade freed up room to get two middle 6 guys on great deals, something that I believe does a lot more than a (hopefully) late 1st. I do believe they should hold on to their second rounder this year since everyone says this is a great draft.

B. Like what BuffaloFan said above, Dubas has done a great job of parrying cap restraints. I would've preferred that he looked futher into defensive depth, however.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll