Forums/Armchair-GM

Re-tool to Fix the Mess

Created by: CN10
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 23, 2019
Published: Jul. 25, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Rutherford has done a decent amount of damage to this roster over the past couple of years. In my opinion, moves that show he is losing his touch as an NHL GM include: trading for Gudbranson's contract, moving out Kessel who is on a good deal when you are in win-now mode, signing depth players Johnson & Tanev to deals with huge terms. I think if the Penguins fail to do anything in the playoffs next season he could lose his job and the new guy will have to work hard to clear out some of the poor value money and quickly re-tool while Crosby, Malkin, and Letang remain elite. What remains this off season is getting Pettersson under contract and shipping out the cap space required to do so. Ideally when clearing out cap they should open up more room for next off season when they need to re-sign Murray, Galchenyuk, McCann, Kahun, Simon and perhaps Schultz as well but some of those required cap clearing moves will have to be addressed next year.

RFA's
Pettersson - Could be bridged as he has played only about 100 NHL games across three seasons. He had a good year last season and is improving, but there is already a lot of money tied up in mediocrity on the blue line in Johnson & Gudbranson so they may not be able to really give him the security of term to lock him into a good cap hit even if they might want to. I think a fair contract is 2 x $1.65M.
Edmundson - Comparable contracts in the 3-4 year range anywhere from 4.25-5.5% of the cap. I think the Pens ink him to a front loaded, signing bonus laden three years to keep the cap hit down a bit 3 x $3.65M. He's a good defensive defender, but likely won't improve much offensively.

Trades
Comments in the individual trades. Overall, I tried to fix the Johnson mistake (had to trade for another mistake who may bounce back in Pittsburgh), used forward depth to get a better defender, shed cap while not taking too big a step back with the move. I don't think Jarry makes it through waivers, so I think the Pens would be wise to get a pick/prospect to allow someone to jump the waiver queue to get him (I see San Jose moving on from Dell, Dallas getting a 3rd NHL caliber goalie to hedge against Bishop's injuries and having a 33 year old backup, or New Jersey or Florida getting him to compete with their young waiver exempt backup goalies).
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,650,000
3$3,650,000
Trades
PIT
  1. Edmundson, Joel [RFA Rights]
Additional Details:
Pittsburgh uses their forward depth to acquire a good defensive D man who can stabilize their middle pairing for years to come.
STL
  1. Bjugstad, Nick
Additional Details:
St. Louis uses their defensive depth to get a good middle 6 C/RW who will give their younger players a bit more time to develop with less expectations.
PIT
  1. Rask, Victor
Additional Details:
Swapping players that haven't quite worked out, the Penguins pickup more AAV but one year less term. Rask was awful last year but previously had been a 35-45 point player. With the Penguins good group of wingers, the expectation is that Rask bounces back.
MIN
  1. Johnson, Jack
Additional Details:
Swapping players that haven't quite worked out, the Wild save some AAV, but add a year of term. Johnson did not fit well in Pittsburgh but previously was a decent middle pairing defender in Columbus. I think he is a better fit playing down Minnesota's lineup as the #5D who can move to the middle pair if injuries hit.
PIT
  1. Järnkrok, Calle
Additional Details:
Pittsburgh gets a good replacement bottom 6 player for the middle 6 player they can no longer afford. Should only be about a 10 point downgrade.
NSH
  1. Rust, Bryan
Additional Details:
Rust is an unfortunate cap casualty with the signing of Tanev. The Pens move him out west to Nashville who upgrades their middle six forward group. Rust can also likely replace a lot of what Smith/Granlund bring, one of whom they are likely to lose to UFA next season.
PIT
  1. Cecconi, Joseph
  2. 2021 4th round pick (DAL)
Additional Details:
Penguins add a RHD prospect to their AHL team and a mid-pick for their young developing NHL backup caliber goalie.
DAL
  1. Jarry, Tristan
Additional Details:
Dallas hedges their bets against the almost yearly Bishop injury by acquiring a young backup goaltender. They already have a solid backup, but he's 33 and a pending UFA so they get a younger option that can develop behind Bishop long term.
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the DAL
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
23$81,500,000$76,907,500$132,500$2,850,000$4,592,500

Roster

Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Minnesota Wild
$2,000,000$2,000,000
C
UFA - 3
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Nashville Predators
$1,000,000$1,000,000
RW, C, LW
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$3,650,000$3,650,000
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,650,000$1,650,000
LD
UFA - 1
$4,000,000$4,000,000
RD
UFA - 2
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 2
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 25, 2019 at 1:02 p.m.
I like it, gj, JJ for Rask seems to be a thing both teams (at least MIN) is willing to do, you might have to add a bit to the Bjugstad trade, but it's not bad, I'd love the Rust trade, I'm a huge Jarnkrok fan, and I'm not a huge Cecconi fan, that wouldn't be a horrible trade, I'd prefer a slightly better d prospect though
Jul. 25, 2019 at 1:45 p.m.
Quoting: AFOX10900
I like it, gj, JJ for Rask seems to be a thing both teams (at least MIN) is willing to do, you might have to add a bit to the Bjugstad trade, but it's not bad, I'd love the Rust trade, I'm a huge Jarnkrok fan, and I'm not a huge Cecconi fan, that wouldn't be a horrible trade, I'd prefer a slightly better d prospect though

I think the Pens will lose Schultz next season so I was originally trying to figure out a way to get Honka from the Jarry deal to see if the Pens couldn't find another under performing offensive D and get a middle pairing defender out of him like they originally did with Schultz. However, they have no cap space to carry him as the extra RD (I think he eventually signs a 2 x 925k if he ends up on a new team) so I settled for the AHL eligible prospect that can hopefully grow into Gudbranson's role within the next couple years and the pick. I was also thinking Stenqvist + pick would be a good target and that Dallas would part with one or the other.

I wasn't sure on Edmundson's value to St. Louis vs. Bjugstad's. I agree Pittsburgh could add a pick to make up the balance if need be.

Also wasn't sure if Nashville would pull the trigger and move a depth guy they gave a 6 year contract to, but I think they are really pushing their chips in this year and as I commented in the OP I think Rust can partially replace the loss of whomever between Smith & Granlund goes as a UFA, and they should have guys coming up in their system that can fill Jarnkrok's role.
Dan10900 liked this.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll