Forums/Armchair-GM

Are We Better

Created by: AlphaHockey65
Team: 2019-20 Pittsburgh Penguins
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2019
Published: Jul. 26, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Gardiner: Pens give more term and take a gamble on a dman with prior injury history.
More term should bring down the AAV as I haven't seen much interest from other teams pursuing him long-term.
If he stays healthy, he's a good replacement for Schultz when free agency hits next year.

Next Year: Assuming Cap increases by $2 mil. = $83,500,000
Total Cap Space Before Signings: $19.8m

RFAs:
McCann: 2 years x $1.75m
Kahun: 2 years x 1.95m
Riikola: 2 years x $1m
Murray: 8 years x $7.5-8 mil

UFAs:
Galchenyuk: 6 years x $6m
Schultz: Has to Walk unless Hornqvist is moved.
Free Agent Signings
RFAYEARSCAP HIT
2$1,750,000
UFAYEARSCAP HIT
6$4,250,000
2$750,000
2$750,000
Trades
PIT
  1. 2020 5th round pick (ANA)
PIT
  1. Kovalchuk, Ilya ($2,750,000 retained)
Additional Details:
LA is going for a retool and I don't see a need for them to keep Kovalchuk.
Pens offer a 1st, 5th, Simon (a good forward who drives possession) + a B/C level prospect for LA to take on the Johnson contract and some retention on Kovalchuk's deal.
Pittsburgh hopes Kovalchuk regains form and finds chemistry with Malkin.
LA gets something in return for Kovalchuk who's off the books in 2 years and Simon could be used in their lineup for the future.
LAK
  1. Björkqvist, Kasper
  2. Johnson, Jack
  3. Simon, Dominik
  4. 2020 1st round pick (PIT)
  5. 2020 5th round pick (PIT)
PIT
  1. Daley, Trevor ($1,166,666 retained)
  2. 2020 3rd round pick (SJS)
Additional Details:
imo, Daley is still usable as a bottom pair d man who can slot into the top-four when needed.
He's better than Johnson and can move the puck in the transition at a somewhat reasonable rate.
DET
  1. Rust, Bryan
Additional Details:
It's getting harder and harder to find a good spot for Rust on the Pens. Putting him 4th line is not ideal and Hornqvist's new deal is almost unmovable.
Signing Tanev also led to this move as they're both making the same amount.
Pens sacrifice a guy who can play all over the lineup for some help on D without losing more picks than they already have
DraftRound 1Round 2Round 3Round 4Round 5Round 6Round 7
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the SJS
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the ANA
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
Logo of the PIT
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
22$81,500,000$71,557,500$132,500$2,850,000$9,942,500
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$1,250,000$1,250,000
C, LW
UFA - 1
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
$4,500,000$4,500,000
LW, RW
UFA - 5
$9,500,000$9,500,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
Logo of the Los Angeles Kings
-$2,400,000-$2,400,000
LW, RW
UFA - 1
$4,900,000$4,900,000
LW, C, RW
UFA - 1
$2,050,000$2,050,000
C, RW
UFA - 2
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
NTC
UFA - 4
$925,000$925,000 (Performance Bonus$2,850,000$3M)
LW, RW, C
UFA - 1
$750,000$750,000
C, LW
UFA - 2
$1,000,000$1,000,000
LW, RW
UFA - 2
$3,500,000$3,500,000
LW, RW
M-NTC
UFA - 6
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender
$4,100,000$4,100,000
LD
M-NTC
UFA - 4
$7,250,000$7,250,000
RD
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 3
$3,750,000$3,750,000
G
UFA - 1
$4,250,000$4,250,000
LD
UFA - 4
$5,500,000$5,500,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
$1,250,000$1,250,000
G
UFA - 3
$1,750,000$1,750,000
LD
UFA - 1
Logo of the Detroit Red Wings
$2,000,000$2,000,000
RD
M-NTC
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$750,000$750,000
RW, LW
UFA - 1
$850,000$850,000
LD
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:16 a.m.
Banned
this is awful.
4.25 on a 6 year deal with a guy who has a bad back.
Rust for nothing.
a 1st for Kovalchuk, who's like 80.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:25 a.m.
Quoting: pharrow
this is awful.
Rust for nothing.

Gardiner would help tremendously on the transition for Pittsburgh.
Aside from the letang duo, nobody on D pairs 2-3 can start a good transition. In Pettersson's defence, he had to be paired with either of Gudbranson or Johnson who are both subpar D making too much money.
Dumoulin - Letang
Gardiner - Schultz
Pettersson - Daley is a lot lot better than what we had before.

Also, Kovalchuk had a down year on a bad LA kings team.
On Pittsburgh, he would be a 65+ pts player playing in this top-six. @ 3.5 mil that is an absolute steal.
You now have 6-7 forwards on this team capable of 50+ points.

Onto Rust,
The Tanev signing pushes this to happen. Both play PK, and can move around the lineup. We have Kahun now who has a bit more offensive ceiling. Might as well move Rust for a 3rd pairing d until POJ bulks up and can potentially make the team in 1-2 years. We've seen what Daley can do. He can move the puck, is OK defensively but most of all, even at 35, understands the game better than Johnson and Gudbranson.
Rust on the 4th line doesn't make sense and we can't move hornqvist there because that's not ideal for a net driving winger who makes $5+ million.

Even so, all these moves give us some cap flexibility.
around $20 million to sign all our RFAs/UFAs with Schultz walking, Gardiner would be a good consolation prize. The backend of that deal matters little because the time to win is right now.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:34 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: vic997
Gardiner would help tremendously on the transition for Pittsburgh.
Aside from the letang duo, nobody on D pairs 2-3 can start a good transition. In Pettersson's defence, he had to be paired with either of Gudbranson or Johnson who are both subpar D making too much money.
Dumoulin - Letang
Gardiner - Schultz
Pettersson - Daley is a lot lot better than what we had before.

Also, Kovalchuk had a down year on a bad LA kings team.
On Pittsburgh, he would be a 65+ pts player playing in this top-six. @ 3.5 mil that is an absolute steal.
You now have 6-7 forwards on this team capable of 50+ points.

Onto Rust,
The Tanev signing pushes this to happen. Both play PK, and can move around the lineup. We have Kahun now who has a bit more offensive ceiling. Might as well move Rust for a 3rd pairing d until POJ bulks up and can potentially make the team in 1-2 years. We've seen what Daley can do. He can move the puck, is OK defensively but most of all, even at 35, understands the game better than Johnson and Gudbranson.
Rust on the 4th line doesn't make sense and we can't move hornqvist there because that's not ideal for a net driving winger who makes $5+ million.

Even so, all these moves give us some cap flexibility.
around $20 million to sign all our RFAs/UFAs with Schultz walking, Gardiner would be a good consolation prize. The backend of that deal matters little because the time to win is right now.

Gardiner could barely skate last year. All he had was back issues. Which is why no one signed him!
Daley is made of glass and would play 40 games top, and even then Gudbranson isn't just there to play hockey.

Trading Rust for nothing is a joke.

Kovalchuk is a 36 year old cap dump. Bad year......he's old and slow.
Kovalchuk, Ilya ($3,000,000 retained) for JJ and that's it. That's the best you will ever get for that mess.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:38 a.m.
Gardiner could barely skate last year. All he had was back issues. Which is why no one signed him!
Daley is made of glass and would play 40 games top, and even then Gudbranson isn't just there to play hockey.

Trading Rust for nothing is a joke.

Kovalchuk is a 36 year old cap dump. Bad year......he's old and slow.
Kovalchuk, Ilya ($3,000,000 retained) for JJ and that's it. That's the best you will ever get for that mess.

Trading Rust for any help on D would help us tremendously.
I agree I lowballed his value but think of some good RD that can be gotten for him. I don't see teams departing with many especially with AAV under 2.5 mil

Blame GMJR for signing Brandon Tanev.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:47 a.m.
Banned
Trading Rust for any help on D would help us tremendously.
I agree I lowballed his value but think of some good RD that can be gotten for him. I don't see teams departing with many especially with AAV under 2.5 mil

Blame GMJR for signing Brandon Tanev.

rust isn't the problem
and neither is Gudbranson for that matter too.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:48 a.m.
rust isn't the problem

I agree. It's GMJR's horrible cap management from the last 2 years.
I love Rust but I really don't think Jim trades Johnson to make cap for Pettersson's deal
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:54 a.m.
Banned
I agree. It's GMJR's horrible cap management from the last 2 years.
I love Rust but I really don't think Jim trades Johnson to make cap for Pettersson's deal

He doesn't need to.
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/1353873
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:56 a.m.

That'.s really tight against the cap lol
Do you think Riikola steps up this year?
Jul. 26, 2019 at 10:02 a.m.
Banned
That'.s really tight against the cap lol
Do you think Riikola steps up this year?

As of right now, he starts the year.
That's why I have said. It's not a matter of trading JJ.
If that was the only issue he'd already be gone.
It's a matter of who plays the 3rd pairing LD position or if they think MP can even step up and play the 2nd pair.

They need to find a LD first if Riikola can't. The market is bare. Everyone knows it. The only place to look is a team that has extra, but at what cost in this market and who actually has a player worth trading for?

These are the issues.
Not, JJ is hard to trade. JJ is not hard to trade, because ever team needing LD is in the exact same boat. And if the penguins say, we can send you JJ for close to nothing, They take it.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 11:23 a.m.
this is awful.
Rust for nothing.

Rust's value is like a third round pick, maybe a bit more, I'd be happy with that trade, giving up a first to dump JJ is fine, ig... The other stuff is still probably an overpayment, but if Kovy would bounce back with Malkin it wouldn't be horrible, and yeah the Gardiner signing isn't good, but his logic is fine, that he's a cheaper Schultz replacement, but I'd think Schultz should be our number 1 priority for keeping next summer
Jul. 26, 2019 at 11:31 a.m.
Banned
Quoting: AFOX10900
Rust's value is like a third round pick, maybe a bit more, I'd be happy with that trade, giving up a first to dump JJ is fine, ig... The other stuff is still probably an overpayment, but if Kovy would bounce back with Malkin it wouldn't be horrible, and yeah the Gardiner signing isn't good, but his logic is fine, that he's a cheaper Schultz replacement, but I'd think Schultz should be our number 1 priority for keeping next summer

Rust is worth more than a 3rd. And it doesn't cost a 1st to dump JJ.
If you need a LD right now, you tell me who you are going to go get?
Gardiner with a bad back that no one touched? who wants 6 million with term.
I'm not even going to sit here and argue it with you because it's utter nonsense. This JJ has negative value mess is bogus. At the very minimal it costs them a low round pick to move, at best they get a prospect back. The more likely scenario is it's something in between.
Just about every professional hockey analyst will tell you JJ has value. When he was a +16 on his natural side last year it shows why.
The only thing holding up a JJ trade right now is they might not trust Riikola to play 3LHD. Because other than that they have no one. Which means they have to find someone.
That's the real question in trading JJ. It's not that it costs a 1st. It's who else do they have.
At least if they keep JJ, and Riikola doesn't work out, then they can figure something out. But if they trade JJ and Riikola doesn't pan out, then they are screwed because there isn't much of a backup plan.

This is the real issue. It's not that they can't trade JJ. If they wanted to they could dump him for nothing right now.But if Riikola doesn't show any improvement from last year, they would be in real trouble.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 11:35 a.m.
Rust is worth more than a 3rd. And it doesn't cost a 1st to dump JJ.
If you need a LD right now, you tell me who you are going to go get?
Gardiner with a bad back that no one touched? who wants 6 million with term.
I'm not even going to sit here and argue it with you because it's utter nonsense. This JJ has negative value mess is bogus. At the very minimal it costs them a low round pick to move, at best they get a prospect back. The more likely scenario is it's something in between.
Just about every professional hockey analyst will tell you JJ has value. When he was a +16 on his natural side last year it shows why.
The only thing holding up a JJ trade right now is they might not trust Riikola to play 3LHD. Because other than that they have no one. Which means they have to find someone.
That's the real question in trading JJ. It's not that it costs a 1st. It's who else do they have.
At least if they keep JJ, and Riikola doesn't work out, then they can figure something out. But if they trade JJ and Riikola doesn't pan out, then they are screwed because there isn't much of a backup plan.

This is the real issue. It's not that they can't trade JJ. If they wanted to they could dump him for nothing right now.But if Riikola doesn't show any improvement from last year, they would be in real trouble.

I was saying that he probably traded JJ with a first to dump him, I'm not getting into a JJ trade except that I found 3 teams before the end of the C's alphabetically that had 3 guys that can play top 4 LHD on their team, and ANA has like 8 LHD, there's not really a major shortage of them
Jul. 26, 2019 at 11:40 a.m.
Banned
I was saying that he probably traded JJ with a first to dump him, I'm not getting into a JJ trade except that I found 3 teams before the end of the C's alphabetically that had 3 guys that can play top 4 LHD on their team, and ANA has like 8 LHD, there's not really a major shortage of them

yeah, ok, start naming them.
Lets how that goes.
If the league was flooded with defense there would be a lot of teams out there with better blue lines. The penguins being one of them.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 11:47 a.m.
yeah, ok, start naming them.
Lets how that goes.
If the league was flooded with defense there would be a lot of teams out there with better blue lines. The penguins being one of them.

ANA- Lindholm Fowler Guhle Mahura Larsson Del Zotto, all played in the NHL last year
ARZ- OEL Chychrun Oesterle
BOS- Krug Miller Chara Gryz Vaak Zboril
BUF (a team that's relatively weak on LD, insanely strong on RD though) Scandella Hunwick Dahlin McCabbe Pilut* Hickey*
Do you want me to continue
* Means I think the player played in the NHL last year but I'm not 100% sure
riles23 liked this.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 12:04 p.m.
Banned
ANA- Lindholm Fowler Guhle Mahura Larsson Del Zotto, all played in the NHL last year
ARZ- OEL Chychrun Oesterle
BOS- Krug Miller Chara Gryz Vaak Zboril
BUF (a team that's relatively weak on LD, insanely strong on RD though) Scandella Hunwick Dahlin McCabbe Pilut* Hickey*
Do you want me to continue
* Means I think the player played in the NHL last year but I'm not 100% sure

wow you just listed a whole bunch of guys that are never going to get traded have a high cap hit, or will cost an arm and a let to trade for.

Congrats.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 12:12 p.m.
wow you just listed a whole bunch of guys that are never going to get traded have a high cap hit, or will cost an arm and a let to trade for.

Congrats.

I made a Mahura trade that nobody complained about, he has similar/more value than Larson and Guhle (who already has been traded), ARZ doesn't have any extras, Scandella Hunwick and McCabe are constantly being traded on here an I made a Gryz trade that only one person had any issues with (I wonder who that could be...) And it was a simple fix
Jul. 26, 2019 at 1:13 p.m.
Banned
I made a Mahura trade that nobody complained about, he has similar/more value than Larson and Guhle (who already has been traded), ARZ doesn't have any extras, Scandella Hunwick and McCabe are constantly being traded on here an I made a Gryz trade that only one person had any issues with (I wonder who that could be...) And it was a simple fix

Go look at those names you just mentioned. Have we not already done Hunwick. How did that go.
McCabe is one that lots of people have done. But he played 50 games the last 2 years and his production is not great. Don't get me wrong, it's worth a shot, but not at the cost that people are trading for him for. No one in their right mind is giving up a solid player for him. He's not worth that and do you really get starter quality out of him? Does he really make you feel that much more comfortable on the blue line. Because the honest answer to that is no.
Scandella isn't getting traded from BUF, because they don't have any depth on the blue line. They still have to field a team too.

It's much harder to come up with quality solutions to the problem they you are making it out to be. Defense is and has pretty much always been at a premium because there is never enough of it.
It's why JJ had 3 teams chasing him last year when he signed with the penguins. For how horrible everyone says he is, he sure had a lot of people wanting him for some reason.

The reality is you have to find players teams are willing to trade. You can't just say, oh yeah boston could trade us Chara. There is no way in hell boston is ever going to trade you Chara. Just like Buffalo isn't going to trade you Scandella and go with a defense of Hunwick and McCabe. That's just absolutely nuts.

I'm sure there are a piece or two out there as far as prospects that can be moved. But last time they did that it cost Sprong. It's going to cost an arm and a leg to find that. Which is where the cost of the JJ trade is going to be. It's not going to be in dumping JJ. It's going to be in replacing him.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll