Forums/Armchair-GM

Top 15 Forwards

Created by: Ccc
Team: 2019-20 Custom Team
Initial Creation Date: Jul. 26, 2019
Published: Jul. 26, 2019
Salary Cap Mode: Basic
Description
Honourable Mentions: Draisaitl (Probably 18/19), Marner (Probably 18/19), Matthews (Probably 17), Scheifele (probably 16), Stamkos (16-20), Panarin/Debrincat/Pasta/Landeskog/OReilly (Late teens/ early 20’s)

15A/B. Bergeron/ Marchand
14 A/B. Marchand/ Bergeron

These two guys are easily and arguably top 10-5 for their positions, but here I have them as I think Marchand had a fantastic year is overlooked year after year and I think if you said he’s a top 10 winger, top 10 forward I wouldn’t blame you. Bergeron on the other hand is going to be the future name of the selke. He didn’t have a bad year but I see him being passed in the coming years whereas a couple years ago he was an easy top 5 centre, and still is an easy candidate for a top 5 centre but he’s fallen due to age on my list. Marchand as well but not as much. These two aren’t high specially due to age.

13. Taylor Hall

Despite injuries Hall is a monster. I won’t take that any from him, and he can’t be labeled as injury ridden just yet. But this is a scare, if he had played most last year after his MVP season I would have seen him as high as Top 8 Forwards, Top 5 wingers.

12. Gaudreau
Johnny hockey would have been top 10 if it had not been for playoffs. I get it they lost and it wasn’t “his fault”. But he was lacklustre to be frank. He’s amazing, simply amazing usually, but this playoffs showed us a side him not usually seen. I hope to see him continue after a monster regular season and have some success if Calgary can make the playoffs.

11. Brayden Point

Yes I have Brayden point this high and additionally higher than Stamkos. Point was the number 1 center for Tampa, I don’t think you argue that. This kid is a stud and I expect him to get PAID this offseason, I’d rather this kid than a lot of kids in this league. I can see how people being upset that he’s this high or above Marner Gaudreau Draisaitl, but personally when your considered a better choice than Stamkos on a stacked team, that’s a impressive statement alone and his play speaks even more than that statement.

10. Barkov

I think most of my list is already unique compared to most peoples, I haven’t done these sorta lists for a few years but barkov is the most deserving of being ranked higher out of who’s already been named and mentioned I think personally.
Barkov is the 99.9% the future defensive forward that fans are growing up with, for me it was Kopitar, Bergeron, Koivu, etc. Barkov is easily the best player on Florida, in my opinion still most valuable compared to Bob or Ekblad to name a couple. Barkov is by far and away the top 3 for most underrated players in the league. I have only seen him play IRL once, and he was easily the most noticeable player on both teams. He’s big, great stick, moves good, in both zones you can see he’s always thinking and making right decisions. While being a defensive minded players he’s fun to watch in both zones. He honestly could be a top 5 center depending on how next season goes.

9. Rantanen

I mulled over Barkov or Rantanen being the one to break 10. If you told me barkov deserves it I can’t blame you. But as a San Jose fan, after that playoffs and regular season I dreaded seeing him come play San Jose after what I watched in Calgary. Even after getting injured he played great (not as good but you can’t blame him). But prior to that man, it just seemed that puck would find him and he’d always make you pay for giving him breathing room and if you gave him room he’d create through either his strength as he’s massive or his skills. He reminded me of what I see from Meier night in and out. Except a big step ahead.

8. Tavares

In years past I was someone who would argue Tavares being top 5/ close too. He’s still great but others have gotten better imo and that’s why he has fallen to 8.

7. Stone

Another controversial call by myself. Stone at 7? I know. Mark stone once again is someone I’ve seen so much of being a Canadian. Watching Canadian teams in Canadian media. He’s amazing. Traded to Vegas I knew it would be a match to dread as a SJS fan. I’ve seen him play since his debut and knew he was good. But man in his regular season he played great with them for that short period. Than the playoffs and every minute I got more and more tense seeing him hop on the ice. The second he stepped on the ice his presence was noticed, that 61 would stand out like sore thumb. He showed up when it mattered most, and when he didn’t need to show up, he still f****** showed up. Currently if you told me Mark Stone or Tavares I would take MS. Tavares is a more self centred player (not totally and still can’t blame him), but Stone man he does it all right, hits all the boxes, heart on his sleeve, and makes you wish your team traded for him at TDL.

6. Kucherov

I remember when the “triplets” line was huge deal for Tampa, Kuch-Johnson-Palat. Three kids coming up to show and dominating. You think Johnson undrafted great story stud, Palat becoming a spotlight, Kuch showing glimpses of why he was gonna make teams pay for leaving until pick #58. You wouldn’t have thought tho that Kuch would have a historic season and become the face of this franchise realistically this year. Yeah stammer and vasi and Hedman would argue, but Kuch was everywhere on every outlet night in and night out. Will he repeat? Most likely not. Is hitting 90+ points a downgrade after this year (technically yes)? Wait did we just saying he’s having a down year with 90+ points. Lol.

5. Patrick Kane

The guys still showtime Kane, I feel that if you don’t think that he’s top 5-8 material you clearly are writing him off with hawks. He may be aging but his play ain’t declining just yet.

4. Ovi

Will this man ever slow down? Who knows. Is he the greatest goal scorer of all time? Yes, if you think not, well tell me we’re goalies 6’9 and being 6’3 considered small playing back than? All I’ll say is I’m not saying he’s the greatest player of all time but it’s tough to argue he’s not the best goal scorer we’ve ever seen.

3. Crosby

Holy this guy has Crosby 3? WHERES MALKIN! bias he hates the penguins. Lol I do. But no, Crosby still can go down as one of greatest players of all time. He isn’t slowing down, not close too, he’ll probably still be getting 80-90 points at the age of 40 if he’s still around. A bad game for him is most players decent/ pretty good nights. He’s the face of the NHL, he was the best person the NHL could have asked for to grow the chel with as he grew up with it. Any player with 87 doesn’t really own that number, just like 99 is Gretzky, 8 is Ovi, 87 is Crosby, no one to play the game will ever live up to that number.

2. Mackinnon

If your a Mackinnon fan, I would actually allow you to argue he’s number 1, no other player I would accept an argument for number 1, except Mackinnon. To start, I think it’s lost on people that somehow San Jose figured out how to slow this guy down. And did it well, not fully but we’ll.I’ve seen SJS try and shutdown #1 but they never really succeeded. I haven’t really TRULY seen someone fully slow down #1 (other than breaking his collar bone RIP). But Mackinnon showed weakness, he bent but didn’t break. the reason I’m saying this is cause he wore his emotion on his sleeve, he showed he was frustrated and knew they had him, and he’d still go out there and than make a mess out of San Jose, and it just wouldn’t go his way. They shut the guy down, but shutting Mackinnon/ slowing him down is still him dancing through your team, he may not create a great chance every time but he’d go in, do his best, improve next shift, come back, Vlasic or Braun or Dillon stops him again, he goes back with emotion, comes back and finds a solution to the problem. Every time, if you figured out a solution to him, he’d come back a create a new problem. His speed, skill, puck control, reliability in both ends, IQ, and his footwork/ agility is amazing, he can rival #1, but hasn’t beat him just yet.

1. McDavid

Who else would it be lol? I also am no where close to McDavid fan, I’m the opposite, but there’s no one else that’s better.
ROSTER SIZESALARY CAPCAP HITOVERAGES TooltipBONUSESCAP SPACE
15$2$116,313,462$0$0-$116,313,460
Left WingCentreRight Wing
Logo of the Edmonton Oilers
$12,500,000$12,500,000
C
UFA - 7
Logo of the Colorado Avalanche
$6,300,000$6,300,000
C
UFA - 4
Logo of the Pittsburgh Penguins
$8,700,000$8,700,000
C
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Chicago Blackhawks
$2,625,000$2,625,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 4
Logo of the Washington Capitals
$9,538,462$9,538,462
LW
M-NTC
UFA - 2
Logo of the Tampa Bay Lightning
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
UFA - 8
Logo of the Vegas Golden Knights
$9,500,000$9,500,000
RW
NMC
UFA - 8
Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$11,000,000$11,000,000
C, LW
NMC
UFA - 6
Rantanen, Mikko
$9,000,000$9,000,000
Logo of the Florida Panthers
$5,900,000$5,900,000
C
UFA - 3
Point, Brayden
$9,000,000$9,000,000
Logo of the Calgary Flames
$6,750,000$6,750,000
LW
UFA - 3
Logo of the New Jersey Devils
$3,000,000$3,000,000
LW
UFA - 1
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,125,000$6,125,000
LW
NMC
UFA - 6
Logo of the Boston Bruins
$6,875,000$6,875,000
C
NMC
UFA - 3
Left DefenseRight DefenseGoaltender

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 26, 2019 at 8:24 p.m.
Caps fan idk why
Yes!!!!!! Great list. Forgot Tom Wilson haha. Finally someone who understand Matthews isn’t top 10
Jul. 26, 2019 at 8:48 p.m.
Marner Enthusiast
What about Malkin? Sure he had a bad season by his standards but even at his worst he still better than most of the players on your list!
Jul. 26, 2019 at 8:51 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT
What about Malkin? Sure he had a bad season by his standards but even at his worst he still better than most of the players on your list!

“Most” is a bold claim, if you told me to pick a player for my franchise rn for the rest of their “career” I personally can’t have Malkin high than 20-25. He’s still great yes, but he’s aging, have troubles playing full seasons, and had a down year. As I joked about “WHERES MALKIN” being ranked 20-25 isn’t bad by any means but I’d rather choose basically every player on this list with the exception of maybe MAYBE a couple of the honourable mentions
Jul. 26, 2019 at 8:51 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Quoting: BrandonDubinskyGOAT

Unless your kidding because I assume your a jackets fan than lol good one
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:23 p.m.
Sidney Crosby is still the best player in the world. Ask McDavid and Mackinnon yourself. The gap has closed, but it’s the little things, leadership and the overall mental part of the game that separates Sid from everyone else.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:28 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Quoting: ChampEddy
Sidney Crosby is still the best player in the world. Ask McDavid and Mackinnon yourself. The gap has closed, but it’s the little things, leadership and the overall mental part of the game that separates Sid from everyone else.

Age is a huge factor, additionally I didn’t take away from Sid I felt I didn’t need to mention his abilities as he is already know as the best. But he’s mid 30’s and as a ranked POV not a fan, if you picking a player for a team it’s hard to argue someone who’s basically done what Sid has done if not more from a talent stand point won’t development sids mental (which mcdavid already similarly has) and his leadership with age and experience, is not more valued. McDavid is 22 or 23 I don’t feel like googling it. He is by far and any the most valued person in the NHL. As for the asking the player thing, no player will say “I’m better the Crosby”, that’s a bold and frankly stupid statement to make as hockey player, they do the chirping on the ice. Mackinnon is Crosby’s friend and Mcdavid is a respectful talented kid. You don’t come to be as success as him without being humble so lol that point is useless
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:40 p.m.
Quoting: Ccc
Age is a huge factor, additionally I didn’t take away from Sid I felt I didn’t need to mention his abilities as he is already know as the best. But he’s mid 30’s and as a ranked POV not a fan, if you picking a player for a team it’s hard to argue someone who’s basically done what Sid has done if not more from a talent stand point won’t development sids mental (which mcdavid already similarly has) and his leadership with age and experience, is not more valued. McDavid is 22 or 23 I don’t feel like googling it. He is by far and any the most valued person in the NHL. As for the asking the player thing, no player will say “I’m better the Crosby”, that’s a bold and frankly stupid statement to make as hockey player, they do the chirping on the ice. Mackinnon is Crosby’s friend and Mcdavid is a respectful talented kid. You don’t come to be as success as him without being humble so lol that point is useless

So what if Sid is 32 this year? He treats his body probably even better than Jagr did that’s almost irrelevant. How many players have career years or career highs in their 30s? Mark Giordano?!

Aging curves exist but it depends on the player and how they treat their bodies and their injury luck. Phil Kessel? probably going to decline in next couple years because he doesn’t take great care of his body. Sid arguably just had his best defensive season ever and put up 100 points on a team that was in shambles for most of the year. Before that he tore up the 2018 playoffs as his team fell apart. Before that he went back to back Stanley Cups/MVPs. He isn’t slowing down. You could argue he is only getting better to be honest.

If you are saying this is a projection for this year then sure, McDavid and Mackinnon could take the next step this year and challenge Sid but as of now it’s the same as it’s been for 12 years - 87 is alone on top.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:42 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
So what if Sid is 32 this year? He treats his body probably even better than Jagr did that’s almost irrelevant. How many players have career years or career highs in their 30s? Mark Giordano?!

Aging curves exist but it depends on the player and how they treat their bodies and their injury luck. Phil Kessel? probably going to decline in next couple years because he doesn’t take great care of his body. Sid arguably just had his best defensive season ever and put up 100 points on a team that was in shambles for most of the year. Before that he tore up the 2018 playoffs as his team fell apart. Before that he went back to back Stanley Cups/MVPs. He isn’t slowing down. You could argue he is only getting better to be honest.

If you are saying this is a projection for this year then sure, McDavid and Mackinnon could take the next step this year and challenge Sid but as of now it’s the same as it’s been for 12 years - 87 is alone on top.

Lol
I’m not even gonna fully finish you lasts paragraph, did you read at all any of the description. You literally almost quoted what I said in your first two.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:43 p.m.
Karsenbill
That Stamkos guy is pretty good, I’d take him over Marchand any day, personal opinion. Other than that a very agreeable list.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:46 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Lol
I’m not even gonna fully finish you lasts paragraph, did you read at all any of the description. You literally almost quoted what I said in your first two.

You’re literal argument was basically made by me in the description lol. Once again, 8 years of Sid let’s say he plays till 40 like Joe Thornton, probably 8 years of 80-90/ 100 a few times early on. As I said once again already. Or mcdavid/ mackinnon which is 10-15 more years give or take of hockey, assuming the both grow and development more like they’ve shown and progress like they already have and like Sid they have atleast 10 100point season atleast or probably from Mcdavid and close 100 point seasons if not cracks it from Mackinnon. Whereas both of them have 10-15 more years to learn and gain experience and become leaders and learn the game as they age which is huge benefit for players. Lol so yea I’d choose mcdavid and have to sit down and think about mackinnon or Crosby
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:47 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Quoting: Kill_Barson
That Stamkos guy is pretty good, I’d take him over Marchand any day, personal opinion. Other than that a very agreeable list.

Can’t argue that, Marchand had a great year and last few, couldn’t not put him on the list as 16-14. Whereas stammer def will be higher next season, possibly top 12-10 I assume, plus Marchand brings grit, albeit sometimes dirty grit but still has a edge to his game and that’s why I put him 15/14
Jul. 26, 2019 at 9:52 p.m.
You’re literal argument was basically made by me in the description lol. Once again, 8 years of Sid let’s say he plays till 40 like Joe Thornton, probably 8 years of 80-90/ 100 a few times early on. As I said once again already. Or mcdavid/ mackinnon which is 10-15 more years give or take of hockey, assuming the both grow and development more like they’ve shown and progress like they already have and like Sid they have atleast 10 100point season atleast or probably from Mcdavid and close 100 point seasons if not cracks it from Mackinnon. Whereas both of them have 10-15 more years to learn and gain experience and become leaders and learn the game as they age which is huge benefit for players. Lol so yea I’d choose mcdavid and have to sit down and think about mackinnon or Crosby

Well yeah obviously if you are talking the next 10-15 years then Mackinnon/McDavid and many others you would pick before Sid. I’m talking right now and probably this year.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 10:01 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Well yeah obviously if you are talking the next 10-15 years then Mackinnon/McDavid and many others you would pick before Sid. I’m talking right now and probably this year.

Well that’s why I said age is a factor, picking right now , as a GM you’d pick safely Mcdavid/ I would, and some GM like me who value all factors see mackinnon as being 2A / 2B against Crosby
Jul. 26, 2019 at 10:12 p.m.
Well that’s why I said age is a factor, picking right now , as a GM you’d pick safely Mcdavid/ I would, and some GM like me who value all factors see mackinnon as being 2A / 2B against Crosby

Yeah no doubt if you are picking a player for the next 15 years you pick McDavid. I didn’t know that’s what you’re list was for. I thought you were ranking as of right this second who the best is.
Jul. 26, 2019 at 11:01 p.m.
? San Jose Sharks ?
Yeah no doubt if you are picking a player for the next 15 years you pick McDavid. I didn’t know that’s what you’re list was for. I thought you were ranking as of right this second who the best is.

And when ranking players age is a factor in most cases

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll