Logo of the Toronto Maple Leafs
$863,333$863,333
LD/RD
UFA - 1
$4,500,000$4,500,000
RD
UFA - 1
ScratchesInjured Reserve (IR)Long Term IR (LTIR)
$700,000$700,000
RD
UFA - 1
$5,300,000$5,300,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$725,000$725,000
LD
UFA - 1
$5,250,000$5,250,000
RW
M-NTC, NMC
UFA - 1
$737,500$737,500
LW
UFA - 2
$675,000$675,000
C
UFA - 1

Embed Code

• To display this team on another website or blog, add this iFrame to the appropriate page
  • Customize the height attribute in the iFrame code below to fit your website appropriately. Minimum recommended: 400px.

Text-Embed

Click to Highlight
Jul. 27, 2019 at 11:43 p.m.
Not a chance in Hell Columbus takes an overpaid Aho for Seth Jones.
dad and Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2019 at 11:45 p.m.
I seem to forget when Marner was an NHL all-Star.
Jul. 27, 2019 at 11:46 p.m.
Hop on the Slaftrain
Quoting: BeastModeUnknown
Not a chance in Hell Columbus takes an overpaid Aho for Seth Jones.

They offered 13m$ to Panarin so I dont think they would mind to pay Marner although Jones' contract is really great one. Toronto gets a young stud for three more years while CBJ replaces Panarin's offense while still having Werenski Murray Nutivaara on the blue line
Sign_em_up000000 liked this.
Jul. 27, 2019 at 11:55 p.m.
dad
This trade wouldn't work 1 for 1, elite defensemen are more valuable than elite forwards. And even if Toronto offered more trading away your best defensemen who is only getting better is highly unlikely.

Not to mention Jones is on one of the better contracts in the league for the backend, and Marner might end up making 10+.
Jul. 28, 2019 at 12:53 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: dad
This trade wouldn't work 1 for 1, elite defensemen are more valuable than elite forwards. And even if Toronto offered more trading away your best defensemen who is only getting better is highly unlikely.

Not to mention Jones is on one of the better contracts in the league for the backend, and Marner might end up making 10+.

Forget about how good Jones' contract is. It still counts against the cap just like all those bad contracts do. The cap hit itself isn't very good, but it's a great deal when considering it's for Seth Jones, who is worth a lot more in my opinion ... just saying it still counts against the cap and is a lot of money. But Jones is worth more than 5.4M in the NHL ... Marner's cap hit is the problem though. He will be making 10M or so, so 4-5M more than Jones ... Columbus does have the cap space, but i don't see why they'd move Jones for Marner AND take that extra cap.

I wouldn't do this as Columbus. Jones is probably their best d-man, and i just don't see why they'd trade him, even if they get Marner. They also have to sign Anderson and Dubois next year, and Werenski this year. If Werenski costs 7M or whatever he will make, then if they trade for Marner, they just don't have the cap space to sign the other guys without trading someone. Offer sheeting Marner would be a horrible idea for the Jackets in my opinion, and i don't think they will offer sheet him.

I don't see Jones being moved. Marner might even sit out the start of the season, which would be another problem with this deal for the Blue Jackets. Even if their cap hits were even, i'd argue that Columbus shouldn't do this deal. Marner will get more than 5.4M. We know he's going to get more than that. At the very least 8M ... probably more. Aho got 8.454M so you could say that Marner is worth 8M because of that but i hate the comparables thing ... people should stop comparing Marner to others players, because you could compare him to the Myers contract or the Stralman contract, or you could compare him to the Aho contract or what about the Labanc contract? I think if Marner was willing to sign for 8M the Leafs would have signed him by now. He'll probably get 10M or so.
Jul. 28, 2019 at 1:37 a.m.
Quoting: rangersandislesfan
Forget about how good Jones' contract is. It still counts against the cap just like all those bad contracts do. The cap hit itself isn't very good, but it's a great deal when considering it's for Seth Jones, who is worth a lot more in my opinion ... just saying it still counts against the cap and is a lot of money. But Jones is worth more than 5.4M in the NHL ... Marner's cap hit is the problem though. He will be making 10M or so, so 4-5M more than Jones ... Columbus does have the cap space, but i don't see why they'd move Jones for Marner AND take that extra cap.

I wouldn't do this as Columbus. Jones is probably their best d-man, and i just don't see why they'd trade him, even if they get Marner. They also have to sign Anderson and Dubois next year, and Werenski this year. If Werenski costs 7M or whatever he will make, then if they trade for Marner, they just don't have the cap space to sign the other guys without trading someone. Offer sheeting Marner would be a horrible idea for the Jackets in my opinion, and i don't think they will offer sheet him.

I don't see Jones being moved. Marner might even sit out the start of the season, which would be another problem with this deal for the Blue Jackets. Even if their cap hits were even, i'd argue that Columbus shouldn't do this deal. Marner will get more than 5.4M. We know he's going to get more than that. At the very least 8M ... probably more. Aho got 8.454M so you could say that Marner is worth 8M because of that but i hate the comparables thing ... people should stop comparing Marner to others players, because you could compare him to the Myers contract or the Stralman contract, or you could compare him to the Aho contract or what about the Labanc contract? I think if Marner was willing to sign for 8M the Leafs would have signed him by now. He'll probably get 10M or so.

I agree with what you are saying but theoretically, they could add Dubinsky (assuming he would agree to waive) for Ceci, to help match money or add Berrie for Anderson, regardless we know they won't move Seth Jones. If CBJ was to take Berrie they would be able to try and extend him or flip him for a massive haul at the TDL because of his production vs his contract. The whole problem with this trade is Marner's stats were propped up by playing alongside JT, last year so Jarmo would have to ask himself if he thinks that Mitch can produce similar numbers beside PLD, (no disrespect intended as I think PLD is an amazing player and I still remember the gasps when Jarmo took him 3rd overall instead of Puljujarvi). Unfortunately for me as Seth Jones is my favourite player and would love to see him on my Leafs ( Jones and Rielly would be the best d pairing in the league IMO) Columbus won't move him.
rangersandislesfan liked this.
Jul. 28, 2019 at 1:38 a.m.
Quoting: SevenLeg
They offered 13m$ to Panarin so I dont think they would mind to pay Marner although Jones' contract is really great one. Toronto gets a young stud for three more years while CBJ replaces Panarin's offense while still having Werenski Murray Nutivaara on the blue line

I wish, but it won't happen.
Jul. 28, 2019 at 1:53 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Quoting: Sign_em_up000000
I agree with what you are saying but theoretically, they could add Dubinsky (assuming he would agree to waive) for Ceci, to help match money or add Berrie for Anderson, regardless we know they won't move Seth Jones. If CBJ was to take Berrie they would be able to try and extend him or flip him for a massive haul at the TDL because of his production vs his contract. The whole problem with this trade is Marner's stats were propped up by playing alongside JT, last year so Jarmo would have to ask himself if he thinks that Mitch can produce similar numbers beside PLD, (no disrespect intended as I think PLD is an amazing player and I still remember the gasps when Jarmo took him 3rd overall instead of Puljujarvi). Unfortunately for me as Seth Jones is my favourite player and would love to see him on my Leafs ( Jones and Rielly would be the best d pairing in the league IMO) Columbus won't move him.

I completely agree the Jackets won't trade Jones. I never said they will. Even if the contracts were even i wouldn't do this trade as the Blue Jackets, plus there's the fact that Marner is going to be getting paid a lot more than Jones this year. When you mention Barrie's play vs. his cap hit, first, i believe it is 2.75M, correct? Because Colorado retained. But that still counts against the cap. The only time you should compare the player to the cap hit is when signing a player. If you're making a trade, then you have to look at the players/picks involved as it's own thing, and the cap as another. Barrie's 2.75M cap hit makes his trade value lower than it would be if there was no salary cap. Not too much lower, but still lower. He's worth more at 2.75M than he would be at 5.5M (his cap hit for Colorado before they traded him), but that 2.75M counts against the cap. Where it gets tricky is that at this point there aren't as many really good UFAs available, so with 1 year left his current cap hit isn't much of a problem as long as the team trading for him has the cap space. But then, he's probably going to want 7M+ in his next contract. Is he worth that? I'm not sure. I think he is. The 1 year is a problem because you're either giving him way more next year or losing him in FA. He's not signing for 2.75M (unless he does a Labanc), so that's another problem. I think Barrie at 2.75M at the TDL would be worth a 1st+ still.

Realistically, i don't see Toronto moving Barrie unless they're out of a playoff spot, and I don't see them being out of a playoff spot. The Atlantic has a few really good teams but i don't see them falling out of the playoffs. Even if Florida makes it into the top 3 i think Toronto is the 1st WC. I think we see Tampa Bay, Boston, Toronto, and Florida make it in some order, and the worst of those 4 teams is the 1st WC while the others make it into the top 3. But it seems like Florida is expected to make the playoffs every year and they seem to find a way to miss. Last year almost everyone thought they'd make it but they missed again. I don't see that happening again with Bobrovsky now in net, but still, i think Toronto makes it in, so trading Barrie wouldn't make sense if you ask me.
Jul. 28, 2019 at 2:17 a.m.
I completely agree the Jackets won't trade Jones. I never said they will. Even if the contracts were even i wouldn't do this trade as the Blue Jackets, plus there's the fact that Marner is going to be getting paid a lot more than Jones this year. When you mention Barrie's play vs. his cap hit, first, i believe it is 2.75M, correct? Because Colorado retained. But that still counts against the cap. The only time you should compare the player to the cap hit is when signing a player. If you're making a trade, then you have to look at the players/picks involved as it's own thing, and the cap as another. Barrie's 2.75M cap hit makes his trade value lower than it would be if there was no salary cap. Not too much lower, but still lower. He's worth more at 2.75M than he would be at 5.5M (his cap hit for Colorado before they traded him), but that 2.75M counts against the cap. Where it gets tricky is that at this point there aren't as many really good UFAs available, so with 1 year left his current cap hit isn't much of a problem as long as the team trading for him has the cap space. But then, he's probably going to want 7M+ in his next contract. Is he worth that? I'm not sure. I think he is. The 1 year is a problem because you're either giving him way more next year or losing him in FA. He's not signing for 2.75M (unless he does a Labanc), so that's another problem. I think Barrie at 2.75M at the TDL would be worth a 1st+ still.

Realistically, i don't see Toronto moving Barrie unless they're out of a playoff spot, and I don't see them being out of a playoff spot. The Atlantic has a few really good teams but i don't see them falling out of the playoffs. Even if Florida makes it into the top 3 i think Toronto is the 1st WC. I think we see Tampa Bay, Boston, Toronto, and Florida make it in some order, and the worst of those 4 teams is the 1st WC while the others make it into the top 3. But it seems like Florida is expected to make the playoffs every year and they seem to find a way to miss. Last year almost everyone thought they'd make it but they missed again. I don't see that happening again with Bobrovsky now in net, but still, i think Toronto makes it in, so trading Barrie wouldn't make sense if you ask me.

You are correct Colorado retained 50% of Berrie's cap hit bringing it to 2.75. I understand what you're saying about Columbus taking on the cap hit with the salary cap but that's why I said they either try to sign him or trade him at the TDL which I think teams would be tripping over themselves trying to acquire him even if he's a rental. Berrie has stated he's looking for 8×8 whether he gets it or not is another story I was just saying worst-case scenario for CBJ is they could trade him for more assets if they couldn't sign him by the deadline. Also, I never said that you said they would trade him quite the opposite as I also said they wouldn't. I agree with you about how the Atlantic will unfold this year and that the Leafs won't trade Berrie after just acquiring him this was just a hypothetical scenario in which the money could work (Ceci for Dubinsky).
Jul. 28, 2019 at 2:34 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
You are correct Colorado retained 50% of Berrie's cap hit bringing it to 2.75. I understand what you're saying about Columbus taking on the cap hit with the salary cap but that's why I said they either try to sign him or trade him at the TDL which I think teams would be tripping over themselves trying to acquire him even if he's a rental. Berrie has stated he's looking for 8×8 whether he gets it or not is another story I was just saying worst-case scenario for CBJ is they could trade him for more assets if they couldn't sign him by the deadline. Also, I never said that you said they would trade him quite the opposite as I also said they wouldn't. I agree with you about how the Atlantic will unfold this year and that the Leafs won't trade Berrie after just acquiring him this was just a hypothetical scenario in which the money could work (Ceci for Dubinsky).

Oh, so you mean if Barrie were to go to CBJ?
Jul. 28, 2019 at 2:39 a.m.
Oh, so you mean if Barrie were to go to CBJ?

Yes, and if they can't re-sign him they could flip him for more assets at the deadline.
Jul. 28, 2019 at 3:11 a.m.
Black Lives Matter
Yes, and if they can't re-sign him they could flip him for more assets at the deadline.

Yeah, i mean, i don't see CBJ making the playoffs so if they trade for him he could be moved at the deadline. But Toronto isn't trading I'm now. He hasn't even played a game there yet. So, i doubt he goes anywhere at the deadline.
Jul. 28, 2019 at 3:26 a.m.
Yeah, i mean, i don't see CBJ making the playoffs so if they trade for him he could be moved at the deadline. But Toronto isn't trading I'm now. He hasn't even played a game there yet. So, i doubt he goes anywhere at the deadline.

I agree, which I why my initial thought was to swap out Ceci for Dubinsky to help balance out the money for next year so Columbus can sign PLD and Anderson. I was just adding Berrie as another option that might entice them as any team would have to overpay for Jones.

To create a post please Login or Register
Question:
Options:
Add Option
Submit Poll